How much is too much?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butttornado

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I have been collecting statues for about 6 months now. I started by stumbling across a the Punisher comiquette. I bought it off Ebay and loved it. I then started researching online and discovered the whole world of Sideshow. I couldn't get enough. I then found a good deal on the Joker PF, and since then have bought a few more statues all for about 500 a piece. I used to only buy figures for $20 and then would still contemplate over it. Now I am dropping 400-500 left and right for Preorders and discontinued statues. I am checking the forums and Ebay for deals all the time.

I am guessing that I am not alone on the feeling of this addiction.
Here is some info about me and my collecting:

- I can afford it, so priorities is not an issue. I am not rich, but I can afford to buy statues here and there.
- I live in a small apartment with 2 Detolfs... So space is starting to become an issue with these huge Dios and PF's.
- I love this stuff, I am a huge nerd and these have awesome nostalgic value to me.
- I am an artist and appreciate art, so I consider it as collecting art.

So I guess I am wondering, all you fellow collectors, how did you get into statue collecting and where does your addiction stand?
Does it start to fade eventually?
And also in your opinion, how much is too much?

Thanks for indulging questions from a newer member!

Wow i thought it was only me. Your story is almost identical to my entry in collecting figures. I have it real bad and sit every night trawling through ebay, the forums, and retailers. I have got to the point where i think I have a problem and have got to try and stop buying. I too can afford to by figures at a reasonable rate but I have gone really heavy into it. I started with a few WW II figures to go with a Tiger tank 1/6 scale that I bought. I then moved onto Threea figures and collected all the Grunts and a few of the Brambles and Bertie's. Whilst collecting a 1/6 Day Watch and Night Watch set from local collector I saw his Iron Man collection and I got started on those. I now have a passion for all figures and have concentrated mostly on Hot Toys but today bought the sideshow Joker which is great. I have run out of room and I hope that slows me down. It is good to see that there are others that have this addiction. Your art by the way is awesome I will continue to follow your work if I may.
Very best regards from the UK.
Malcolm

Fade!....Ha!...

More you dig, more you find. More you find, the more you want.

Playing catch-up and trying to get the statues you missed out that were released before you started will do the most damage. Buying ones like Venom comiquette and Gentle Giants Colossal Samurai def started to slow me down some.

Only you can really decide how much is too much. What was too much when I started, I am easily paying for items over double that. How badly do you want "X"? How much are you wanting to pay for "X". But on a real note on how much is too much...1) you can usually dig and ask here or on the other forums and previous sellers/buyers will clue you in. 2) you can check the sold listings for Ebay, that will at least give you general idea of what said piece has been going for recently.

Wow i thought it was only me. Your story is almost identical to my entry in collecting figures. I have it real bad and sit every night trawling through ebay, the forums, and retailers. I have got to the point where i think I have a problem and have got to try and stop buying. I too can afford to by figures at a reasonable rate but I have gone really heavy into it. I started with a few WW II figures to go with a Tiger tank 1/6 scale that I bought. I then moved onto Threea figures and collected all the Grunts and a few of the Brambles and Bertie's. Whilst collecting a 1/6 Day Watch and Night Watch set from local collector I saw his Iron Man collection and I got started on those. I now have a passion for all figures and have concentrated mostly on Hot Toys but today bought the sideshow Joker which is great. I have run out of room and I hope that slows me down. It is good to see that there are others that have this addiction. Your art by the way is awesome I will continue to follow your work if I may.
Very best regards from the UK.
Malcolm

I am no alone! lol
Thanks for checking out my art btw.
On the collecting, yeah, it feels like a slippery slope. What does it for me are the really awesome looking pieces. The Conan Fury of the Beast diorama did me in. When I got that in the mail, I was hooked. It's so darn big and detailed. Collecting figures were fantastic fun and I loved searching for deals. But once I got my first Sideshow statue I was hooked by how much more impressive it is than a figure. It costs sooo much more obviously, but it's that high you get of from a new package and setting it up for the first time.

One thing that has helped, is the value for most of these statues usually hold really well. I have been able to sell most of the statues I got bored of or just regretted buying because it was impulsive. I pretty much break even. It keeps my display from looking ridiculous also lol.

PS, it doesn't help that my wife is OK with me collecting. I keep pushing the boundaries though... I am waiting for the day that she tells me to stop.

My collecting days started officially with a GG bust of Luke Skywalker. Once I saw the PFs for Vader and Kenobi, I knew I had to have them. 16 PFs later along with 3 Besta cabinets and a full set of SW vintage figures, I share a common "first world" problem with others here on the board - running out of space. I have always told myself that I am going to grab a few more Superman pieces to compliment the PF and then slowly fade away. It's not easy when reading throughout the board and seeing the talent around here. However, once I take a look around the room my wife has graciously allotted me, I realize everything has it's place. Fading away will actually not be too difficult for myself. But if SS makes a LSF of Boba Fett, mark my words, I will find a place to put that beast!

You're not alone. Pretty sure everyones first few posts are exactly the same.
Track someone's join date back to their first few posts and they all look the same, "Oh my god, I just discovered this! Now I've bought this and then I'm buying that, and I've paid double retail for that! But I must have this!" :D :D ....we've all done it .....

Here are my 5 simple rules that many people on the board can immediately testify that I still ignore when seeing new pics :D

1) Find a way to narrow down your buying, selecting certain licenses, characters, etc...
.... collecting everything is impossible. And picking a theme like 'Marvel and DC' does not help narrow things :)
2) Be aware that statue space isn't the problem ....box space is always the problem !
3) Remind yourself these are NOT an investment, and telling yourself they are is your brains naughty side justifying buying what you want
4) And yes you can resell them, but that is an absolute bastard. Photographing, packing, listing, ebay questions, posting, selling fees ....and on the other end, the dangers of scamming, postal damage and claims.

And most importantly:

5) Realize that just because something is awesome, doesn't mean you have to own it. Enjoy looking at all the pics of others purchases and separate yourself from the idea that AMAZING = must be on my shelf :D

good advice.

I have been at this game longer than most and see people get burned out by trying to acquire everything right away.

Take your time and do not fall for the hype.

I don't collect statues, but have paid similar amounts in 1/6 and 1/4 figures. I have asked the same questions.

I think most people who stick with the hobby eventually find a balance. My collection had reached a point where it started to look like clutter, now I'm selling off stuff I don't love. Thankfully these collectables usually go up in value so there is some investment to be had. At this point I don't expect to ever have to pay for a figure out of pocket again. I expect the hobby to be self sustaining as I sell more and buy less.

Great advice. I know what you mean about the boxes. I'm almost considering getting rid of some I know I'm gonna keep. I do agree with you about not falling for the hype. It's hard sometimes when people on the forums are raving about a piece. I guess it's gonna get bad fast if I keep buying everything that looks bad ***. I realistically have space for 2 more PF and that's it... But I have 5 on the way.

I collect for myself. I collect to display my stuff and not to resell later. This means I only get the items I really want to for 2 simple reasons: limited space and limited budget. So in the end I have a focus from where I rarely go out: with Star Wars I collect Original Trilogy Imperials and troopers - props, helmets, studio scale, statues, busts, 1:6 figures etc.

When your house starts to look like a toyshoppe.

Only buy what you like and try not to be completist or follow hypes.

Hi I'm V8 and I'm a statue/figure addict lol. I started collecting diecast cars and it went crazy for a few years then I found my balance. Now the cycle has started all over again with Hot Toys amd Sideshow. I figure I will eventually find my balance again. Having said that does anyone else share my dark wish that these manufacturers slip thier deadlines to give us some breathing room. 2013 has been crazy and 2014 doesn't look like its gonna be different so far...

What i really want is to move into new accomodation, having a spare room to use as a study/studio/trophy room. I can then plan how much room i have to display my collection, making sure i do not overbuy and run out of shelf space. I think enough is enough when your room starts to clutter. And believe me, its hard to turn down a bargain. I have ended up buying figures that i didnt neccessarily want just because they were going for too much of a good price!
Next stage for me is to focus on getting the dispaly right for these wonderful high end colectibles. Looking at the show your shelves thread motivates me to keep collecting me as I realise I'm not the only one out there who gets the same enjoyment from this hobby, so to all you freaks out there, BIG UP! :hi5:

What started me off was my sons buzz lightyear I bought it for him from eBay for £140 it's about 20 inches tall the detail on it was amazing to that degree where I kept hiding it from him lol becouse I didn't want him to damage it lol. A few months later I became a victim of sideshow cracklectibles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much is too muc? When you start opening threads about it, you know it's too much.

How much is too muc? When you start opening threads about it, you know it's too much.
Agreed, lol. I actually think my excitement is starting to wane a bit. I have everything I want that is current. All the statues that are grails are too much to spend right now. I think once mid year rolls around and all me preorders kick in, then I'll be excited again. Batman is my last one for a while.

Back