Statue PICS: Repainted my Attakus 1/5 scale Sandtroopers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzInc

Super Freak
Reaction score
love the sand troopers. To me they are the ultimate stormtrooper, with the cool extra gear, the large blasters, the Pauldrons, and most importantly, the weathering. Weathering really brings out detail and gives that realistic, lived-in feel.

I got my attakus sand troopers and they are very impressive. Great detail, quite accurate (biggest thing missing are the green lenses) and at a good price they are a great deal. Incredibly low ES (my Sergeant is #49 of only 750). They are cold-cast porcelain, so much more expensive to make and sturdier than polystone) and with all the extra detail and gear, I think they are a better deal than my PF stormtrooper.

Also, they are a great companion piece to my Mythos pieces.

However, as some of you know. I usually refinish most of my pieces to get them to look more realistic and screen accurate.

This piece needed that, because the white armor was a chalky flat white, instead of the plastic look even the sand troopers have. They also needed more weathering to be screen accurate. Then some metal paint chipping and dry brushing to bring out the detail and get the statue to pop a bit more.

After refinishing the white to a nice gloss and the additional steps mentioned above, I am THRILLED with the statues! They look so real in person that you expect them to move. I might someday repaint the lenses to the proper green hue, but for now I am happy.

Please let me know what you think of the pics:
Sandtrooper8.jpgSandtrooper1.jpgSandtrooper5.jpgSandtrooper6.jpgSandtrooper4.jpgSandtrooper7.jpgSandtrooper3.jpgSandtrooper2.jpgI

Looks great, good work. I started painting with board game pieces. I don't feel comfortable enough to work with anything more expensive yet.

Great job!

Did you do any before and after shot comparisons?

Great job!

Did you do any before and after shot comparisons?

Stupid but I forgot. Here's a picture I found on Google, which shows there was very little going on in terms of weathering, but it's hard to photograph the flat chalky finish, versus my new finish, which makes a very large difference. Especially the variation of finishes in one statue which makes it come alive and makes it look almost mixed media.

dsc06696p.jpg

The Squad Leader's pose is crazy, looks like he is dancing, what in the world was Attakus thinking....

The Squad Leader's pose is crazy, looks like he is dancing, what in the world was Attakus thinking....

Actually, in real life it looks ok, if you position him right, looking at him from the side, especially if you place him behind the Sergeant like I did

Had to laugh at your comment! :rotfl

Gonna get the hate thrown at me for this one, but back in the day I used to love the Attakus line, now (generally, but not all) they look dated :monkey3

In the last few years sculpts are getting so good with every new iteration that when you look back at the older stuff (again, generally speaking) they don't quite stack up - particularly the Attakus humans... bad.

LOL! That's a shocker!!!

And I can't believe people bag-out this Luke?
IMG_0267_zpsdce239ec.jpg

I never cared for the Attakus humans, but their first version of Vader is off the charts good. I know some don't like the pose, but I think Fett is also very well done.

I never cared for the Attakus humans, but their first version of Vader is off the charts good. I know some don't like the pose, but I think Fett is also very well done.

Agree on the Vader. That's a cracker.

Stupid but I forgot. Here's a picture I found on Google, which shows there was very little going on in terms of weathering, but it's hard to photograph the flat chalky finish, versus my new finish, which makes a very large difference. Especially the variation of finishes in one statue which makes it come alive and makes it look almost mixed media.

View attachment 91576

hi what attakus statue is the one all the way on the right in the photo? i never seen this version of sand trooper...want!

attakus still has some of the best non-human star war statues - vader, yoda 1, jawa, royal guard, crumbs, jabba/pipe etc..are all top notch. So is chewie, sand/storm trooper, gamorrean guard, tusken raider etc.. although the ss pf version of those are bigger and mixed media, there is a level of detail and collectible quality that just can't be matched with real metal weapons and for example the paint detail on sculpted clothing that makes it look almost come alive.

Yes i am a big attakus fan, wish they would continue the release. Although i agree their human statues are bad due to the face, i think it's a french thing to sculpt/paint all human faces almost cartoony like :/

That is a custom Sandtrooper. There are a couple of custom Attakus Stormies out there as well.

Back