Dying question for Ghostbuster customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teabelly83

Super Freak
Reaction score
Im starting my Ghostbuster customs and want to dye all 4 of the mattel flight suits together so they all look alittle more grey like the movie so what is the best technique and what to use to do this?

do i use proper fabric dye? or maybe grey acrylic paint mixed in water? how long do i need to leave the suits in the water for etc etc?? any help would be great, thank you!!

Your best bet is to use RIT Pearl Grey fabric dye. Use a slightly larger Tupperware container filled with hot water. Pre-dissolve the dye (its a powder) in the hot water. Pre-soak the suits in water before placing them in the dye bath.

The RIT dye comes with instructions as well, so be sure to check those out. You won't need to use the entire packet of dye even for four suits. When using dye, it's best to use less and not more. You can always add a little more to give the suits that greyish hue.

Thanks so much sir :) Ill grab some RIT pearl grey dye online now. i have everything else minus the elbow pads so a case of putting them together and doing all the weathering, belt gizmos etc.

How long do i need to have the pre-wet suits in the pearl grey water? do i just dunk them all in for a few seconds, take out and rinse off or do i leave in for longer then takem them out?? like you said they just need a slight greyish hue to them like they are in the movie, dont want to leave them in too long and make them too dark.

Your best bet is to use RIT Pearl Grey fabric dye. Use a slightly larger Tupperware container filled with hot water. Pre-dissolve the dye (its a powder) in the hot water. Pre-soak the suits in water before placing them in the dye bath.

The RIT dye comes with instructions as well, so be sure to check those out. You won't need to use the entire packet of dye even for four suits. When using dye, it's best to use less and not more. You can always add a little more to give the suits that greyish hue.

Thanks so much sir :) Ill grab some RIT pearl grey dye online now. i have everything else minus the elbow pads so a case of putting them together and doing all the weathering, belt gizmos etc.

How long do i need to have the pre-wet suits in the pearl grey water? do i just dunk them all in for a few seconds, take out and rinse off or do i leave in for longer then takem them out?? like you said they just need a slight greyish hue to them like they are in the movie, dont want to leave them in too long and make them too dark.

Back