Detolf Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averagejo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering how difficult is it to put together the Detolf?
I purchased two and they've been sitting in my livingroom boxed up. I want to put them together. Should I have someone help me?

How about the lighting? I also have the Dioder strips.

Any tips, suggestions, comments would be appreciated. :duff:

Thanks!

Definitly with 2 persons, so call a friend if he could help you.
Once you got the glasses up it´s easy, but you need to get there first.
And I wouldn´t have bought the Dioder.
I bought LED Stixx from Osram...

Thank you! I think I'm kind of handy but the boxes were so heavy that I wasnt sure if I could do it myself. I'll check out the LED Stixx, too! :hi5:

I have put a couple together myself but I would not suggest doing it alone if you can avoid it, it is faster & easier with some help.

I put 3 all by myself, just becareful when you handle the glasses from the package, make sure you separate them 1st or at least put a piece of cardboard on the top to avoid hitting it when you try to carry one out.

I didn't install the wheels since it involves turning it upside down which require 2 person, it's also more stable & looks nicer sitting on the wood instead of wheels but you won't be able to move it without wheels.

For the lights, it has a hole for it at the top, the rest you'd have to figure out yourself.

We recommend you seal off the front 4 sides (U/D/L/R) of the door to minimize dust using weather strips.

i also put all 8 of mine by myself....its pretty easy and straightforward..and this coming from a dude that's not a handy guy. it was doing the custom style lighting for them that was the most time consuming for me.

Built mine by myself pretty easy but two people would be better. I have the dioders but haven't installed yet

I put together 2 by myself pretty easily. The first was a little difficult not knowing how all the pieces went together. Once you get that down, the 2nd one was a breeze. Also installed dioder led strips as well in each.

Build them in the corner of a room close to the walls so if a glass panel does fall it will be stopped by the wall instead of falling and breaking. That's what I did anyway as getting all three panels in can be quite tricky.
Obviously if you have someone available to help use them.
Good luck.

Just noticed your Avi :rotfl

Thanks you guys. I'd give you all rep points for all your help...but I don't know how :huh:

@Collectorcol...Love yours too! :hi5:

Build them in the corner of a room close to the walls so if a glass panel does fall it will be stopped by the wall instead of falling and breaking. That's what I did anyway as getting all three panels in can be quite tricky.
Obviously if you have someone available to help use them.
Good luck.

Just noticed your Avi :rotfl

ha! That's what I do too. I think I had help for the first one but have since put them together 10+ times after a couple of moves and I could do it blindfolded now.

I dont want mine on the floor. Can anyone recommend a stand? Or a floor cab? I looked at ikea online and didn't see anthing. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right section...:huh

If you're not carrying the units up or down stairs they are simple to install yourself. I've put together about a dozen of them and they take me anywhere from 15-20 minutes tops to assemble without lighting, closer to an hour with 2 sets of Dioder lights installed in each.

The only tricky/difficult part imo is the assembly of the first and second tempered glass panels by yourself. Once you get those 2 attached with the plastic runner included they can stand on their own and you can easily install the third panel as well as the door.

Do note I'm assuming you're in good health with no back issues or anything else that would hinder you. ;)

I put mine up alone, but I would recommend getting someone to help you if possible, just to hold the glass panels in place while you put it together. I remember thinking when I was putting it together I wish I had 3 arms. :lol

If you're not carrying the units up or down stairs they are simple to install yourself. I've put together about a dozen of them and they take me anywhere from 15-20 minutes tops to assemble without lighting, closer to an hour with 2 sets of Dioder lights installed in each.

The only tricky/difficult part imo is the assembly of the first and second tempered glass panels by yourself. Once you get those 2 attached with the plastic runner included they can stand on their own and you can easily install the third panel as well as the door.

Do note I'm assuming you're in good health with no back issues or anything else that would hinder you. ;)

I'm not a big girl...5'4" in pretty good health, but I won't be doing this myself especially after reading the replies. Thank goodness I have a nice neighbor! All I have to do is tell her I have a bottle of wine and she'll be right over :lol. Uh oh...on second thought, two drunk women putting together a glass cabinet...Maybe not such a good idea! :slap :lol

YP, did you use 2 dioders per case w/ a total 8 bars?
I'll tell you, I'm certainly NOT liking the wiring. I like the light stixx, but I would like to see them in hand.

I put mine up alone, but I would recommend getting someone to help you if possible, just to hold the glass panels in place while you put it together. I remember thinking when I was putting it together I wish I had 3 arms. :lol

3 arms would be handy. :lol

I'm not a big girl...5'4" in pretty good health, but I won't be doing this myself especially after reading the replies. Thank goodness I have a nice neighbor! All I have to do is tell her I have a bottle of wine and she'll be right over :lol. Uh oh...on second thought, two drunk women putting together a glass cabinet...Maybe not such a good idea! :slap :lol

YP, did you use 2 dioders per case w/ a total 8 bars?
I'll tell you, I'm certainly NOT liking the wiring. I like the light stixx, but I would like to see them in hand.

:lol If you're not comfortable then definitely have a sober neighbor help you! Everything is better with wine, you might wake up in a new bed or perhaps order $500 of collectibles online in a drunken stooper! :lol

Yes, I upgraded to 2 sets LED bars per case/8 bars total. Originally, I had 1 set per unit but I wasn't happy with the lighting effect no matter where I had them placed (front/mid/rear) on the shelves. Taking 5 detolfs apart to re-wire them again with a 2nd set was a pain :cuss but so worth it as I'm much happier now with the display :) My last Detolf has 1 set of Dioder pucks :monkey3 which casts a museum like effect.

Back