Weather Vs. Statues and Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidIce

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in need of your opinion and insight. For the past year, I have started to collect Hot Toys, statues, and NECA figures. My collection is displayed in my basement (since that's where my media center is set up). Here comes the problem... I live in Markham Ontario, Canada. During the winter, it can get quite cold in my basement. I have a Hot Toys DX12 Batman and a Catwoman, which have rubber parts.

I would like to know what low temperature would it take to start affecting my figures that have rubber parts or my statues that are made of polystone, pvc, leather, etc? I am worried about the rubber cracking or breaking off it's adhesive (Example Batman DX12's leg armor).

Let me know, thanks a bunch.

Polystone, PVC and leather should be fine (as long as they're not getting wet, then freezing, otherwise kiss them goodbye).

As far as the rubber goes, heat and sunlight is your real enemy. That'll screw your rubber faster than anything. Anything bar insane cold it should be fine.

Polystone, PVC and leather should be fine (as long as they're not getting wet, then freezing, otherwise kiss them goodbye).

As far as the rubber goes, heat and sunlight is your real enemy. That'll screw your rubber faster than anything. Anything bar insane cold it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, but won't the paint on polystone statues crack if it's in a cold environment for too long? Also, I have been looking up some articles online and apparently rubber shrinks in the cold... so I am curious how cold it would be for my Batman to get damaged.

Keep the heater on,you say its where your media center is,so you use it often but in the cold?. In montreal it was minus 35-40c and my stuff are in the basement also. You should be worrying more of frozen pipes bursting that frozen plastic toys.

Few options I'd consider:

1) Finish, insulate and heat a room in the basement to display.
2) box up the plastic figures and move them into a closest or somewhere safe during the winter.

Thanks for the advices (except for the moronic one left by zeus).

Anyone else?

Just reality of the situation! Buddy, it was not meant as an offence.
Good day!

Anyone else?

He gave good advice...i guess when you come on to a public forum you can respond to a post YOU openly asked questions to in any fashion you want though.

Burst pipes are a ver real scenario and would destroy every statue you have down there. They're freeze up expand and burst. But good job calling a fellow freak moronic for trying to help you by making sure you double check a possible source of a major disaster.
Robert

He gave good advice...i guess when you come on to a public forum you can respond to a post YOU openly asked questions to in any fashion you want though.

Burst pipes are a ver real scenario and would destroy every statue you have down there. They're freeze up expand and burst. But good job calling a fellow freak moronic for trying to help you by making sure you double check a possible source of a major disaster.
Robert

:exactly::clap:clap

I think it best to stick to collecting only the Sideshow Star Wars Hoth line up they are currently hyping.

Keep the heater on,you say its where your media center is,so you use it often but in the cold?. In montreal it was minus 35-40c and my stuff are in the basement also. You should be worrying more of frozen pipes bursting that frozen plastic toys.

Anyone else?

Hey man, I live in Ottawa and all my stuff is in the basement too... as is my media center, and it's ridiculously cold right now of course!

I don't think zeus was offbase there... I mean, just how cold is it down there? I'm guessing you don't need to go down there with a jacket when you want to watch TV or whatever... if it's warm enough for you to be relatively comfortable down there, even wearing a sweater, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Anyway, people are usually pretty decent around this forum. If it sounds like they're being insulting, they probably didn't mean to be. :)

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, but won't the paint on polystone statues crack if it's in a cold environment for too long? Also, I have been looking up some articles online and apparently rubber shrinks in the cold... so I am curious how cold it would be for my Batman to get damaged.

If it is cold enough that you worrying about paint cracking then you should probably take Zeus advice. What is them temp down there right now?

:exactly:

Robert

As a person who lives in Ontario, of course I would have my heater on during winter and know the threat of bursting pipes. I called him out because his reply was snobby/stuck up, plain and simple. I made this thread to kindly ask if anyone has had any experiences with weather effecting their collectables. If he can't understand that and leave a respectful reply, well... then he can expect to be disrespected.

Last edited:
Hey man, I live in Ottawa and all my stuff is in the basement too... as is my media center, and it's ridiculously cold right now of course!

I don't think zeus was offbase there... I mean, just how cold is it down there? I'm guessing you don't need to go down there with a jacket when you want to watch TV or whatever... if it's warm enough for you to be relatively comfortable down there, even wearing a sweater, I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Anyway, people are usually pretty decent around this forum. If it sounds like they're being insulting, they probably didn't mean to be. :)

Hi there. He came off as condescending, so I called him out. I'm well aware of those problems but that is not the reason why I started this thread.

Anyhow, it is actually quit cold in my basement. I have to wear a winter jacket when I am down there. I have a portable heater that I keep in my basement as well, but I don't want to place it too close to my collection as I know the constant rapid change in temperature will ruin the pieces.

My main concern is for rubber shrinking due to the cold weather, causing it to loosen off the adhesive of certain Hot Toys, or PVC statues cracking. :)

If it is cold enough that you worrying about paint cracking then you should probably take Zeus advice. What is them temp down there right now?

:exactly:

Currently? Unsure, but definitely nothing under 0 or above 10 degrees Celsius.

So much failure on your part liquid. To say a fellow freak just helping you was being all those things is just crazy and i read his respons. You might want to take off your tinfoil hat and stop trying to read inbetween any lines and cause issues where there are none. Good day sir.

So much failure on your part liquid. To say a fellow freak just helping you was being all those things is just crazy and i read his respons. You might want to take off your tinfoil hat and stop trying to read inbetween any lines and cause issues where there are none. Good day sir.

What's wrong with you? Look, pull your head out your over self righteous rear. I replied your previous post kindly, and explained my stance. I am a collector, just like you, who came here for some simple advice. If you aren't going to be resourceful or add insight, get out. This is my last reply to you.

Back