PDA

View Full Version : Rate the last Anime you watched.

Chargersfan57
01-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I thought since we have this thread for other topics, then why not for anime as well...?

I'm trying to do my part and bring more traffic to this section. And this thread could help people decide on what to watch next.

This is strictly for anime series and movies.

So whether you loved a series, or hated a series, tell us why.

(Please do try to keep spoilers to a minimum)

Mqhuynh
01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
What's yours?
Watched Claymore again recently. Still a great show, hoping for a second season but highly unlikely. Great action and story.

Chargersfan57
01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
What's yours?
Watched Claymore again recently. Still a great show, hoping for a second season but highly unlikely. Great action and story.

I'm actually watching Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne right now and I'm really enjoying it. But I haven't finished it yet. Will give full rating soon.

Is Claymore really good? It's one of the 42 animes I have saved under my "saved for later" list on Amazon.

Mqhuynh
01-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I enjoyed it. Has a great back story to it which I hoped could have been more developed in a second season. I think the manga continues but the anime just stopped.
A few of my favs are Kenshin, Escaflowne, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
Seen any of those?

Chargersfan57
01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
I enjoyed it. Has a great back story to it which I hoped could have been more developed in a second season. I think the manga continues but the anime just stopped.
A few of my favs are Kenshin, Escaflowne, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
Seen any of those?

No but I've heard of Tenshin, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I'm fairly new to anime and only own 8 anime series. It's kinda weird but I Iike to buy my anime before I even watch them.

Maybe not smart but I use reviews and maybe watch the first episode online or on netflix to decide. Must be lucky because everything I've seen so far I've really loved.

Whether I finished them or not.

Watching High School of the Dead on netflix is wat recently got me into anime...

Monger
01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm actually watching Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne right now and I'm really enjoying it. But I haven't finished it yet. Will give full rating soon.

Is Claymore really good? It's one of the 42 animes I have saved under my "saved for later" list on Amazon.

IMO Rin got progressively worse. It never got bad, but I felt it was strongest early on.

As for me, I've been watching this fun show called Yuru Yuri recently. I don't really believe in numerical rating; I just like to review something with words. Long story short, it's a very fun laid back series. It's one of those slice of life series with a bunch of teenage girls doing daily shenanigans. I like it quite a bit and it has a great cast.

Mqhuynh
01-01-2014, 11:32 PM
No but I've heard of Tenshin, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I'm fairly new to anime and only own 8 anime series. It's kinda weird but I Iike to buy my anime before I even watch them.

Maybe not smart but I use reviews and maybe watch the first episode online or on netflix to decide. Must be lucky because everything I've seen so far I've really loved.

Whether I finished them or not.

Watching High School of the Dead on netflix is wat recently got me into anime...

Watched high school of the dead. Not a bad show.
Other great ones I've seen are Berserk, Princess Mononoke and Laputa.

bicoid18
01-02-2014, 01:15 AM
We finally have an Anime section! :clap

I know I've probably mentioned this before, but I can't stop raving about the newest adaptation of Hunter X Hunter. Smart writing, compelling action, and deep character development. Do yourself a favour and marathon it!

Other series that loved last year was Shin Sekai Yori and Blood Lad. As for movies, I recently watched The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki and really enjoyed it.

dominishin
01-02-2014, 03:40 AM
Can't remember what I watched last, but I'll just start with Steins;Gate.

9.5/10. Probably my most favorite anime of the last few years. Great writing, the chemistry is just there. And finally, another great anime with no flashy fighting or robots.

Been trying to get into Code Geass... but the art style is extremely distracting for me. I hate it.

Starting Hunter X Hunter.

And patiently waiting for Gintama to come back.

Chargersfan57
01-02-2014, 04:20 AM
I forgot to mention an anime I just recently finished. And I aint afraid to admit it...

B Gata H Kei Yamata's first time.

Despite the title and premise this was actually a very good romance comedy. It had me cracking up multiple times each and every episode. 9/10. LOVED it!

So if you guys haven't, make sure you give it a chance...

9.5/10.

Steins Gate is one of the 8 animes that I own. Can't wait to watch it.

krec9
01-02-2014, 06:14 AM
It's been a while last anime i watched in full was FMAB 10/10 great characters .

Black butler still watching it still waiting for something to happen.

Mqhuynh
01-02-2014, 07:29 AM
It's been a while last anime i watched in full was FMAB 10/10 great characters .

Black butler still watching it still waiting for something to happen.

I liked the original version better. I started to watch Brotherhood but couldn't finish it. Maybe i'll give it another go.

dominishin
01-02-2014, 07:30 AM
As a whole, Brotherhood is better.

Some of the early stuff isn't nearly as developed/dramatized as the original, but by the end, it doesn't really matter.

Mqhuynh
01-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I haven't read the manga but I heard brotherhood is not true to the books? Or is it the other way round?

krec9
01-02-2014, 07:36 AM
I haven't read the manga but I heard brotherhood is not true to the books? Or is it the other way round?

I heard the first series isn't true to the books brotherhood is .

Mqhuynh
01-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I might have to give Brotherhood another try.
Anybody else watch Initial D? Did the 5th stage just end abruptly?

Chargersfan57
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
People go back and forth on whether brotherhood or the original is better. Most people I've heard from though say brotherhood is better.

BurningRage
01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Brotherhood is better and follows the manga. I prefer the manga over the first series.

Monger
01-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Brotherhood is better overall, but I found the original anime more engaging in that it tried more to be its own thing, and much darker. Brotherhood is more in line with your typical shounen and goes for the most happy ending possible and such. That being said, the ending to the original anime was ____.

krec9
01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Brotherhood is better overall, but I found the original anime more engaging in that it tried more to be its own thing, and much darker. Brotherhood is more in line with your typical shounen and goes for the most happy ending possible and such. That being said, the ending to the original anime was ____.

Good to know giving the first series a shot soon.

Monger
01-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Good to know giving the first series a shot soon.

Well truth be told I feel like you have to watch the first anime first or not at all. I've never heard much success from people starting with Brotherhood and then moving to the original.

krec9
01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Well truth be told I feel like you have to watch the first anime first or not at all. I've never heard much success from people starting with Brotherhood and then moving to the original.

I did start the original couldn't get into it then found about brotherhood .

Chargersfan57
01-02-2014, 03:59 PM
I was planning on just watching brotherhood. Still am actually.

BurningRage
01-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Scar was my favorite character.

krec9
01-02-2014, 04:11 PM

Mustang for me love his character.

Monger
01-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Yeah Scar was great. Armstrong and his sister are my favorites though :lol

MatchaJelly
01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Just watched Saint Young Men. Love it.

bicoid18
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM

9.5/10. Probably my most favorite anime of the last few years. Great writing, the chemistry is just there. And finally, another great anime with no flashy fighting or robots.

Starting Hunter X Hunter.

Loved Steins;Gate! The first several episodes felt like light in tone and slow like a slice-of-life type feel to it. And then bam, the story just hits you! :lol But it really built up the characters that way and made me care what happened to them.

Good to know you're starting Hunter X Hunter! Just keep in mind that the beginning is kind of slow due to the world building and establishing the characters and their motivations. But by the time you reach the later arcs such as Heavens Arena and Yorknew City(!), you'll be deeply invested in the characters. It's definitely not your typical shonen.

I would have to agree with this. Brotherhood was more epic in scope and rushed through the early manga material. The first series definitely felt more dark and tragic and really delved into that material.

Otomofan
01-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Just watched the debut of "Space Dandy."

Was really colorful and the action sequences were very fluid and well-animated. Colors and designs were actually awesome.

But the story and the characters? Utter garbage. Not interesting. Not funny. I know it's supposed to be a satire or parody and that's fine, but it had ZERO substance and the humor was beyond pathetic. "Phoned-in" would be a compliment.

Not gonna watch any more.

MrRandomHero
01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Recently finished Kill La Kill, well given that theres still the last of the series on Thursday its more that I've caught up with, and I was very impressed with it and am looking forward to seeing how they end the first series. Love the fast and fluid movement style of the animation so this was right up my alley.

karamazov80
01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I watched Akira about 5 years ago. I give it a 7 out of 10. It has a special place in my heart for opening my eyes to what an animated film could be way back in the day (circa 1992 or so).

playboy409
01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
there used to be some great animes out, but there's nothing that really interests me now. Basilisk, Jin-Roh, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gankutsuou, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo are all my favorites. If you guys haven't seen Gankutsuou, I highly recommend it. It's based off of Count of Monte Cristo book and it's great.

krec9
01-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I watched Akira about 5 years ago. I give it a 7 out of 10. It has a special place in my heart for opening my eyes to what an animated film could be way back in the day (circa 1992 or so).

Great movie loved the animation.

MrRandomHero
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Love that film. It was the third anime I saw all those years ago and still watch it every so often.

Chargersfan57
01-07-2014, 04:08 AM
Have any of you watched Psycho Pass? I preordered the premium edition off of Amazon because I know it's a limited release, but I was wondering if the show itself was worth the upgraded purchase...

krec9
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Anyone who wants to watch attack on Titan it's on netflix.

bicoid18
01-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Have any of you watched Psycho Pass? I preordered the premium edition off of Amazon because I know it's a limited release, but I was wondering if the show itself was worth the upgraded purchase...

Psycho Pass is on my to watch list. I've heard and read a lot positive reviews with it. I'm just waiting for Funimation and Sentai Filmworks to release Attack On Titan and From The New World on Bluray.

Just to jump start some activity on this thread, I just finished watching episodes 111 and 112 of Hunter X Hunter.
H-o-l-y Sheeet! :thud: :thud: :thud: I haven't been this hyped up for an impending confrontation since Ichigo vs Grimmjow III! Now that's how you build tension. None of this staring for an entire episode crap. :lol

Chargersfan57
01-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I just finished Rin and what an amazing show that was! From beginning to end, the show was extremeli engrossing.

I loved how the series to place over 60+ years and seeing the advancements in technology and meeting different generations of people.

Not to mention the final episode was extremely satisfying and brought closure.

It's VERY much an adult anime, but I recomend it to mature fans.

I loved it's interesting story and concept!!!

Jesterhead
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't watch too much new anime these days, but I recently got around to watching Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (We still don't know the name of the flower we saw that say). Wow! What a mouthful! Let's just call it Ano Hana for now.

In short, it's about the death of a young girl. Years later, her best friends are now graduating high school and going into uni/college. It's all about how each of them dealt with the loss, and how they are or aren't getting over it. Some supernatural elements bring the friends back together for one final summer before they truly come to terms with the death of a close friend.

I was instantly hooked on Ano Hana. A really smart show where I actually cared about the entire cast. The art style, while not entirely atypical, was unique and memorable, lots of soft smooth edges but with plenty of detail. The OST was absolutely great. Both the opening and ending, as well as the BGM throughout the show.

Some of the writing was a little awkward and out of place, but overall the story was well done. Characters weren't overly original, but all were relatable and well thought out.

If you're at all interesting in a drama anime with a bit of the supernatural, definitely check Ano Hana out!

Just watched the debut of "Space Dandy."

Was really colorful and the action sequences were very fluid and well-animated. Colors and designs were actually awesome.

But the story and the characters? Utter garbage. Not interesting. Not funny. I know it's supposed to be a satire or parody and that's fine, but it had ZERO substance and the humor was beyond pathetic. "Phoned-in" would be a compliment.

Not gonna watch any more.

This was one of the few upcoming anime I was planning on checking out. Sad to see that it wasn't really up to snuff!

Chargersfan57
01-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, is Gunslinger Girl a good anime series?

They have both season 1 and season 2 up on Amazon and I was considering picking up the series...

Jesterhead
01-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, is Gunslinger Girl a good anime series?

They have both season 1 and season 2 up on Amazon and I was considering picking up the series...

I enjoyed the first season. Not amazing, but I'm glad I checked it out. It somehow felt empty and lacking a little bit though, but I suppose that is almost fitting considering the themes in the show.

Chargersfan57
01-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Would you say it's worth owning, or should I pass? The seasons are about $25.00 each, so around $50.00 for the series.

Jesterhead
01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Would you say it's worth owning, or should I pass? The seasons are about $25.00 each, so around $50.00 for the series.

If you're into collecting DVD/Blurays, then, yes I'd say they are worth owning. If you like having them on your shelf and enjoying the collection, go for it. If you're likely to just stash them away once you're done watching, maybe skipping laying money down for this series.

That price sounds pretty good.

krec9
01-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Berserk Golden age act III 9/10 brutal film.

Chargersfan57
01-17-2014, 07:46 PM
If you're into collecting DVD/Blurays, then, yes I'd say they are worth owning. If you like having them on your shelf and enjoying the collection, go for it. If you're likely to just stash them away once you're done watching, maybe skipping laying money down for this series.

That price sounds pretty good.

Hmm,.... I'll think about it. I've got a lot on my anime buying plate right now so I can wait.

Jesterhead
01-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Berserk Golden age act III 9/10 brutal film.

Not a huge fan of the Berserk movies (In love with the manga though...), but how far have they gotten in them? If it's still in the Golden Age arc then they must be taking their time with it. Did they ever do any Black Swordsman arc yet? I might have to start watching once they start the Retribution arc, big fan of Serpico and Farnese.

krec9
01-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Not a huge fan of the Berserk movies (In love with the manga though...), but how far have they gotten in them? If it's still in the Golden Age arc then they must be taking their time with it. Did they ever do any Black Swordsman arc yet? I might have to start watching once they start the Retribution arc, big fan of Serpico and Farnese.

Nothing new announced yet they just finished the Golden age arc honestly don't see it going any further they are leaving so much story out. I dont understand why they just dont do a full on anime series.

Apec
01-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Texhnolyze is worth seeing, if you have similarly themed tastes. It was created by the same guy behind Serial Experiments Lain (though I haven't seen it completely) and Hellsing if I recall. It's a relatively dark and apocalyptic scifi tale, which centers around an underground city, mob warfare, and human augmentation via prosthetic technology. I find it hard to give a number rating, but I liked it as much as Ergo Proxy (which is also worth seeing IMO).

However, there are some caveats. The first 4-5 episodes develop extremely slowly (little dialogue, meandering environmental cuts without narration) and are usually the point where the less patient quit altogether, but it picks up much faster after that. Female characters seem to have relatively weak roles in the beginning, if that's a concern to anybody. It is quite violent, but nothing as graphic as say, Shigurui Death Frenzy. It's definitely not for everyone though.

dominishin
01-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Ookami no Kodomo Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) - 10

Great movie. Animation is a sort of Ghibli-esque style. Great story with a bittersweet message.

bicoid18
01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Ookami no Kodomo Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children).

Great movie. Animation is a sort of Ghibli-esque style. Great story with a bittersweet message.

Seconded! One of my favourite movies from last year.

Just finished Hunter X Hunter episode 113. Weird, unconventional and brilliant! Having the episode cover multiple points of view of the main characters over the same number of seconds in real time was jarring. But the tension building up from the previous episodes is now at an all time high! S@#t is about to hit the fan! :panic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

FriendlySamurai
05-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Just finished Kill la Kill and Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit's new season. Kill la Kill rates fairly high but I had to stretch it out cuz I can only take so much craziness- ost one of the best for sure. Hajime no Ippo... one of the greatest shows of all time I laughed till I cried. If you haven't seen it, do.

Biojex
05-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I watched the first season of heavens lost property...not sure what to rate it yet :lol

RockEzy
05-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Finished Attack on Titan today and really loved it. I'll probly rate it 8.5-10

Pork Chop Express
05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Watching Cowboy Beebop again. Still a great show.

distracted poster
05-15-2014, 02:07 AM
^Cowboy Bebop is my fav anime series of all time! In fact I'm a big fan of anything Shinichiro Watanabe has done. Which brings me to his most recent work Space Dandy. I found the show a bit too goofy at first but it has since grown on me, great action and art design but the lightly hollow characters brings it down for me. 8/10

Pork Chop Express
05-18-2014, 10:37 AM
^Cowboy Bebop is my fav anime series of all time! In fact I'm a big fan of anything Shinichiro Watanabe has done. Which brings me to his most recent work Space Dandy. I found the show a bit too goofy at first but it has since grown on me, great action and art design but the lightly hollow characters brings it down for me. 8/10

Samurai Champloo was pretty good too.
I would have liked we'll done vinyl figures of Mugen, Jin & Fuu.

Saya
08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Attack on Titian.. It's awesome.

krec9
08-08-2014, 04:01 AM
Attack on titan good series dont really care for Eren everybody else is great 8.5/10

Von Koz
08-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Just watched Captain Harlock in anticipation for my 1/6 figure. It' was good. Awesome CG. The story was a bit odd though. I wish Harlock was actually the focal character a bit more than he is. Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Saya
08-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Attack on titan good series dont really care for Eren everybody else is great 8.5/10
Agree he got annoying after awhile but levi and mikasa are my fav. Of the show. They kick serious butt!

FriendlySamurai
08-08-2014, 08:31 PM

lol, I just came in here to say I finished the first 13 of Space Dandy. Saw the first ep and wasn't into it... but for some reason the Star Trekkie sounding narration intro hypnotized me into watching more. Its a weird bizarre little show... with space hooters haha, but overall pretty fun

piccolodaimaoh
08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Dragonball Z Kai - 10 out of 10 I thought it would be hard to make arguably the greatest anime of all time better but they did. Can't wait for the next film.

jakblo77
08-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Currently watching Aldnoah Zero and Akema ga kill(?). Nothing ground breaking but totally enjoying both. Only problem is they're current shows so I have to wait a week for each episode, no binge watching.

krzykoopa
08-17-2014, 08:02 AM
I always find it interesting how people rate media. I am watching Monster now at episode 18 and I am real enjoying it. My pervious Anime I watched was HunterxHunter. I love hunter I did not think I was going to but it really pulled me in. I also stay current with Naruto and when I am done with monster will check out Baccono or Code Geas..

Sueikakyju
08-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Psycho pass is a decent series, just watched the whole season on netflix. 4 out a 5 stars for sure. Knights of Sidonia was good too.