Fiber optic lighting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthdog

Super Freak
Reaction score
Any experts here willing to give a crash course in fiber optic lighting for dioramas? Or maybe link me to a good article or thread for a beginner?

Thanks

When you say dioramas how many fibre optic strands are you planning on using?
As if you were building a spaceships that requires loads then you can buy special kits for this.
But I used fibre optics on a billion vinyl predator model kit and all I done was make a L.E.D light with resistor and battery pack and then using 2 part apoxie glue stick the fibre strands to the bulb then thread the strands were they need to be , this is a pretty simple way.
But you can get kits already made with flickering functions and what not.

I've never attempted LED or fiber lighting before so I know nothing at this point.

There's going to be many many strands. I'm trying to light up buttons on retro computer terminals. I'd estimate 20-30 lights per terminal.

I wasn't aware that there are kits available. Flickering would be a great feature. What is a good place to find this kind of kit?

I have used fibre optics many times in the past. The kits are a great starting point if you want it ready built. If you can use a soldering iron and prepared to do a little work there are many effects possible. Any bright LED powered up with a bunch of fibre optics held on the bulb with heat shrink works well with min fuss. I used flicker LEDs Blue/Red fed through my battle damaged neca T800. He lost his legs and these served as the wires that were still powered while the poor t800 slowly wilted.... eBay is great for all sorts LEDs, flicker, flash, multi coloured.

Good luck.

Snaz

Thank you. My first project is going to be a bit overwhelming so I really need to plan it out. Btw - pics or video of that T800 would be cool!

Hi Earthdog,

I have posted some pics so you sort of get the idea about my destroyed T-800. If you want to look at the whole project please check out my youtube channel. Search for Collectagatherer and you will find a few Dios I have put together. Not got round to posting them all but will be adding more. Hope this helps.

Regards

Snaz

Back