I hate ebay, need some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidercan

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, and mods feel free to move this. But man am I steamed. Just sold a DX12 and McFarlane Spidey on auction. The DX12 winner paid and then messaged me that he wanted to cancel (his bid was $3 higher than the next bidder). I know legally I'm in my right to just proceed with the order, but I'm worried he'll just make up some excuse to get it returned (possibly damaging the figure and then saying I sent him a damaged one). So should I just cancel the order, and hope the second chance offer goes through?

The McFarlane, a bidder msg'd me and said he was an international bidder and the shipping option included a shipping tax that was too expensive. He wanted to see if I would cancel the auction, and then send him an invoice and h'ed pay separately. I said no, canceling is too chancy, but I'd be willing to ship it USPS (after he paid through ebay) and refund the difference in shipping (but he was still on the hook for the tax if the taxed amount didn't go directly to me). He went ahead and bid anyway...and won! (with like $2 higher bid than the next bidder), and now says he wants to proceed with the cancellation plan because the tax was too much. So once again I'm stuck, and don't really know what to do.

I'm sorry about the rant but I'm just really steamed, and a bit lost as to how to proceed.

In both cases, cancel and send second chance offers.

Cancel the first because the winner requested it.

Cancel the second because the bidder bid based on current terms and is now trying to force you to modify the deal, which is against ebay policy.

Neither of these people is worth doing business with, don't create further hassle by taking further risks with either of them.

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, and an easy 30% of my auctions go this way, or worse. That's just how ebay is now.

Alright thanks for the advice. I'm still relatively new to the selling on ebay thing. It's just so disappointing to have this happen, especially with the holidays coming up, I've basically missed the Christmas window (I like to end bids on Sunday) if the second chances don't go through.

Those 2 buyers not worth your times, cancel move on if u insisted on them it's just creating more hassles and problem for yourself as Flankies has said.

Yes cancel both, get your fees back, and re-list. Those 2 people aren't worth the risk. Also put them on your Block List so they cannot bid on your items again.

But this is why i stopped selling because it would take 3-4 times for the winner to actually pay. I had to cancel and re-list so many times several times. Just a huge pain.

Sellers just have no power anymore and the fees are just so high that you need to makes 20-40+% above what you paid to even make it worth selling, unless you don't care and just need some $$.

Plus the stories of fraud where people claim things are broken, or they swap their broken item for yours and claim yours is broken. Not to mention all the other scams in the hobby. Just not worth the hassle to me anymore.

Good luck though. Just be careful. If a buyer is giving you a hard time or demands things that are against policy, just end the transaction, re-list, and block those people. Will save you a lot of headaches.

I had a Hot Toys Iron Man up a year or two ago and it took three auctions before it finally went to a bidder who actually paid for the damn thing. And every time somebody screws you, you gotta wait through the eBay process so you don't get charged fees for a bad auction. Total pain.

feeBay is a huge pain between the fees and very prevalent scams (its gotten a lot worse over the years). Nowadays so many folks are used to sniping that they often forget to bid (and message me after).

It's so easy to make up fake IDs, that buyers do that for items they're not so sure about so that they don't have to pay if they change their mind. At least these buyers messaged you.

Ugh, so I tried to cancel the mcfarlane guy's order ebay. In the meantime ended up selling the spider on a forum (guy paid). Just now the ebay guy went ahead and paid for the spidey. Do I have to now back out of the forum transaction? Worried about negative feedback on ebay.

Nobody will care about a blip on your feedback record if your other transactions are positive. Don't let negative feedback push you towards a transaction that you otherwise feel iffy about.

Yeah I refunded his money. I think it's more important to honor a contract with the forum guy, who has been straight forward and upstanding

Ugh, so I tried to cancel the mcfarlane guy's order ebay. In the meantime ended up selling the spider on a forum (guy paid). Just now the ebay guy went ahead and paid for the spidey. Do I have to now back out of the forum transaction? Worried about negative feedback on ebay.

Forget the eBay guy because He said he wanted to cancel. Keep a record of the emails he sent you and if he files a claim, send eBay the emails he sent you about him canceling. And make sure you block this person.

Ebay sucks, its that simple. But its got a lot of buyers and 75% of the transactions are smooth. but 25% are not and that is way too big of a percentage, it used to be like 5-10% would have issues, now its minimum 25% have issues. And usually its the high end stuff. I sold a Sideshow PF exclusive Terminator figure for $350 a couple months ago, perfect condition. Guy tells me the head wasn't on and it looks like I tried to super glue it myself back together (I never had it out of the box...). of course Ebay says I must give a refund, and on top of that the post office shot down my claim for insurance!!! So I go from having $350 to a broken head terminator figure that I don't know what to do with.

I am scared any time I send something on Ebay, I think a lot of buyers do a "swap" and send you back their damaged items for your good one, and Ebay welcomes this fraud with open arms. Or buyers have buyers remorse and damage the item on purpose so they can make a claim (even though I have a return policy) this has happened a few times (ripped Jordan UDA poster worth $650, shipped in a super heavy weight poster tube with no damage to the tube!).

the Spider-man buyer is getting hit by ebays so called easier international shipping deal. You have to make sure you click out of there deal when setting up the auction. Ebays international shipping is outrageous. I sold a DC Direct Poison Ivy to a guy in the UK it was going to cost 35 just to ship. I was able to get the buyer 16 shipped with USPS.

I hate ebay for another reason. They charge the seller a 10% fee which includes the postage. That means if I sell my Hot Toys DX11 for £200, I'll only end up with just over £150 in my pocket after paying for the postage, ebay and paypal fees. I just wish we have a dedicated selling thread for the UK on this forum, so we can bypass the scandalous 10% ebay fee. I'm happy to use paypal, as it offers the buyer the same protection as ebay would, if there is a problem.

I have had so many eBay transactions turn sour. It has put me off listing anything on there unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Yes, that international shipping option is a sure fire way to prevent international buyers bidding on your listing. If that is what you want, go ahead and use it.

hennypenny, come and join the 1/6 Figures - For Sale or Trade UK group on Facebook. It is a friendly group, realistic prices and pretty damned fast moving. As members know eachother in the group, there is a strong deterant to mess someone about. A very useful resource.

I have had so many eBay transactions turn sour. It has put me off listing anything on there unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Yes, that international shipping option is a sure fire way to prevent international buyers bidding on your listing. If that is what you want, go ahead and use it.

hennypenny, come and join the 1/6 Figures - For Sale or Trade UK group on Facebook. It is a friendly group, realistic prices and pretty damned fast moving. As members know eachother in the group, there is a strong deterant to mess someone about. A very useful resource.
I don't have Facebook? Why don't we have a site for UK collectors on this forum? How does it work on Facebook?

ebay is bad as a seller. They take 10% off your sold price, plus 10% off the shipping cost. I tried to sell a video game, they wouldn't let me charge more than $4 on shipping. If buyer doesn't pay, you have wait 2 days to open a case. Then another 4 days for them to pay. Even if they don't pay, you cannot leave a negative feedback.

Back