PDA

View Full Version : Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

hoodonit00
08-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Still can't wait to see a full reveal but these pics look great and are lessening some of my concerns.

kl241
08-02-2014, 09:36 AM

I have very mixed feelings about the tailoring on this one....the thread is so dark on the embroidery. The sleeves also lack detail it seems. The sculpt looks good though.

I just don't see McKellan at all in that sculpt.

Wor-Gar
08-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I think the line shows a lot of potential and gets better with every figure.

I agree.

Posted on asmus's facebook about a hour ago. Also, in one of the comments they did confirm that the stitching has been lightened. Just looked darker in picture I guess.

That's good news, and the pictures look very good. Asmus has really made an effort here when you compare their earlier work.

jra81984
08-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Now that I have to disagree with, the sculpt it looking incredible. They even showed us the raw unpainted sculpt, it is spot on to me.

kl241
08-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Now that I have to disagree with, the sculpt it looking incredible. They even showed us the raw unpainted sculpt, it is spot on to me.

Sorry but after seeing Elvis' amazing Gandalf the Grey I'm just not feeling it with the Asmus one.

Wor-Gar
08-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Sorry but after seeing Elvis' amazing Gandalf the Grey I'm just not feeling it with the Asmus one.

That's no fair, Elvis' custom is amazing. No mass produced figure will measure up. Although I think Elvis should lose the brown braid on it.

jra81984
08-02-2014, 10:44 AM

That's not even a fair comparison really. Not even the same in my mind. There is also a drastic cost difference if I commissioned one instead. I cannot afford customs of everything haha.

kl241
08-02-2014, 11:55 AM
That's not even a fair comparison really. Not even the same in my mind. There is also a drastic cost difference if I commissioned one instead. I cannot afford customs of everything haha.

True but imagine if they hired him. I'm not really impressed by the sculpt. Thinking of cancelling my order from BBTS.

jra81984
08-02-2014, 12:04 PM
True but imagine if they hired him. I'm not really impressed by the sculpt. Thinking of cancelling my order from BBTS.

It's not a matter of hiring a talented artist or not. Individual commissions vs mass production are totally different things. This sculpt could also benefit from paint and hairing.

hoodonit00
08-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Posted on asmus's facebook about a hour ago. Also, in one of the comments they did confirm that the stitching has been lightened. Just looked darker in picture I guess.

It's not perfect but it's damn close.

Dammit I don't know why the other image doesn't show. It does in preview.

kylemm
08-02-2014, 01:31 PM
It is close. My one complaint would be I wish they could have pulled it off with rooted hair. I think that might have taken it to the next level.

Centrocal
08-02-2014, 02:53 PM
whats the current release date ?

kylemm
08-02-2014, 03:02 PM
whats the current release date ?

All they officially say is third quarter.

However, like some of the other guys told me. It takes about a month for it to get here from Hong Kong. So if it ships fairly soon then mid September.

Sankari
08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
It is close. My one complaint would be I wish they could have pulled it off with rooted hair. I think that might have taken it to the next level.

Yeah, rooted hair would be awesome, the hair looks a bit clunky, but that's mostly a matter of taste. That's why I've been favoring ACI's aragorn so far

kylemm
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, rooted hair would be awesome, the hair looks a bit clunky, but that's mostly a matter of taste. That's why I've been favoring ACI's aragorn so far

Have aci shown anything else besides the pic of Aragorn on the computer?

pixletwin
08-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Sorry guys. I want to like it. It's a good likeness of Gandalf if it were based on an animated version of him. It's too stylized.

hoodonit00
08-03-2014, 06:49 AM
I just don't see it as stylized. People may not think it looks like Gandalf but it does look like a real person unlike the stylized sculpts that DAM release with some of their sets. Maybe it's the nose that's putting you off but Ian McKellan has a big nose.

jra81984
08-03-2014, 06:51 AM
I just don't see it as stylized. People may not think it looks like Gandalf but it does look like a real person unlike the stylized sculpts that DAM release with some of their sets. Maybe it's the nose that's putting you off but Ian McKellan has a big nose.

Ian Mckellan also wore a larger prosthetic nose for the film.

starscream0
08-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Someone asked for an estimate on shipping for this on Asmus's facebook page and they said it's shipping now. When retailers will have it is another story :)

Kraken Guard
08-03-2014, 09:38 AM
I'd have to say that's a darn nice Gandalf figure. :clap
I'm sure other peeps'll point out certain stuff. But I'd have to say it looks pretty good. :)

kylemm
08-03-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm sure other peeps'll point out certain stuff. But I'd have to say it looks pretty good. :)

I'm pretty impressed with it. Its still coming with that brick style base right?

My only worry looking at that picture is I hope the sword sheath doesn't look too plastic.

Wor-Gar
08-03-2014, 10:07 AM

I think it looks great there. Certainly will fit in well with the Sideshow pieces.

Looks to be a lot of detail in the outfit. I wish they had made the proper cuffs on the sleeves, but...

starscream0
08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I think he's looking pretty good too. Definitely happy to add him to the collection

kylemm
08-03-2014, 11:44 AM
I think it looks great there. Certainly will fit in well with the Sideshow pieces.

Looks to be a lot of detail in the outfit. I wish they had made the proper cuffs on the sleeves, but...

Your right. I wish that they had done that as well.

Asmus
08-03-2014, 05:17 PM
If it is just ordinary barbie root hair like Hot Toys did, it is ok, but if you want to root hair like what Elvis69 did to be massively manufactured, it will be very very difficult.

Because in order to make one look as good as that, the amount of hair and the distribution of hair has to be precised. In other words, needs the eyes and hands of an artist, not an assembly line worker.

Asmus
08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Another good example is Jokers root hair we have seem by (sorry... I forgot to save the author's name),
Hot Toys still not manage to challenge on that. (eventhough they have done like.... 2000 different Jokers?)

Because in Joker's hair, it is the technique/material like Elvis did with the beards, not Barbie like hair HT did in Black Widow.

Asmus
08-03-2014, 05:27 PM
The sleeve is a regret now... if we can find out earlier,
we can do something about it like we did with the edge print of the cape.

Can't believe we slip that one out...

Rydeck
08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Right? Perfection is a lofty and unattainable goal. Where else are you going to find a Gandalf the White like this at this price?

I have my nitpicks, but none of them warrant a pass.

starscream0
08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Thank you Asmus - if all of your figures come out like Gandalf, I'll be buying them all :)

Wor-Gar
08-03-2014, 10:44 PM
The sleeve is a regret now... if we can find out earlier,
we can do something about it like we did with the edge print of the cape.

Can't believe we slip that one out...

Cape trim looks beautiful.

Some things will always be missing. Even on HT figures. I still believe Gandalf looks to be a wonderful figure and is a huge leap for Asmus.

TripleCP
08-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Looks good. I hope Asmus sticks with sculpted hair for consistency's sake. Even in the few cases where rooted hair comes out nice in production, there's always the potential for it to get worse (frizzy, etc.) over time.

Bucky Underbelly
08-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I am LOVING that metal Glamdring.

elvis1976
08-04-2014, 12:38 AM
I'm liking on this looks. The outfit looks most excellent. I can't wait to get it and will probably be hairing one.

superdoug
08-04-2014, 04:06 AM
Overall it looks fantastic to me and I cannot wait for bbts to get theirs in so I can ship my pile of loot and get my Gandalf and Gurtiz.

To tell the truth from the pictures I think he turned out better than I anticipated. Remember this is the first human figure they have done for Lord of the Rings. Without a doubt this says "Gandalf the White". Anybody walking into my house that has seen the Lord of the Rings will recognize it right away. Again basing it on the pictures it looks steps ahead of what Sideshow delivered us and the price is a welcome relief compared to what Hot Toys and even Sideshow are now charging per figure.

Good job Asmus!

As far as rooted hair goes, I am not sold on it. Like Asmus pointed out in order to make it top notch and avoid Barbie comparisons you really need an artist doing it and not an assembly line of mass production. I think they made the right call. Doing scuplted hair is a safer more affordable option. I am curious to see how ACI's Aragorn works out with rooted hait and I plan on buying it as long as it doesn't look Barbie like but given a choice I would vote for rooted unless someone like elvis was making on for me himself.

denrep-lilium
08-04-2014, 06:40 AM
I hope Asmus sticks with sculpted hair for consistency's sake.
Well. Not sure about female characters.

sarayutthe3rd
08-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Well. Not sure about female characters.
yup,I think like that too. because in this case, hot toys focus to make female figure to be "soft" with barbie hair.

Sankari
08-04-2014, 07:32 AM
I've ordered him. The on hands pics convinced me.
I really enjoy what Asmus has been doing, and I'm happy that they're taking on LOTR.
I've already ordered the Nazgul + Steed, and I'm also saving a spot for Shadowfax and Sauron

kl241
08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Cancelled my order from BBTS.

hoodonit00
08-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Cancelled my order from BBTS.
It's not perfect but what about it seems so far off too you?

kl241
08-04-2014, 10:00 AM
It's not perfect but what about it seems so far off too you?

Really don't like the headsculpt. It just doesn't look like McKellan to me. I'll wait and see if ACI makes one. This just isn't a nearly $200 figure IMO.

kylemm
08-04-2014, 10:30 AM
To each their own. Is his sword diecast?

If they were in the process of making sauron I would pre order that in a heartbeat.

Wor-Gar
08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Really don't like the headsculpt. It just doesn't look like McKellan to me. I'll wait and see if ACI makes one. This just isn't a nearly $200 figure IMO.

Good man. I'm all for people voting with the pocket book. Not enough of 'em do.

At the moment, I am keeping my order with BBTS, but I would like to see some actual in-hand photos to really know what we have here. So far I really like it, but it is to date Asmus' most pricey LOTR figure and I wonder if it is a $200 figure.

kylemm
08-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Asmus posted up a 360 view of the figure. This convinced me to keep the pre order. 125437

Asmus
08-04-2014, 05:25 PM
To each their own. Is his sword diecast?

If they were in the process of making sauron I would pre order that in a heartbeat.

Yes, the sword is die-cast.

kylemm
08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Yes, the sword is die-cast.

Fantastic! Keep up the good work asmus. Thank you for the response.

Wor-Gar
08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Asmus posted up a 360 view of the figure. This convinced me to keep the pre order. 125437

Yeah, posed like that, with the staff, it sure looks like a great figure from across the room.

I'm surprised to hear so many complaints. It's not like there's other choices, or that LOTR is going to get HT attention any time soon. The Hobbit sure didn't bring much of the magic back so far so if you want LOTR figures on your shelf, I think you'd better grab what you can while you can. Not sure where ACI is headed.

kylemm
08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Isn't it true sideshow is working on a hobbit line? Maybe that means we'll get to have Gandalf the white and grey.

Bucky Underbelly
08-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I think that's a very solid figure right there. The sculpt may be a tad too narrow, but if it looks like these pics out of the box, I will be perfectly happy.

rhboyd
08-05-2014, 06:54 PM
I was thinking that too... wonder if the head is a bit squished... if it's a hollow cast... soft material... cause the pics of the unpainted sculpt didn't look like that at all!

Bucky Underbelly
08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I don't think it's hollow. Gothmog wasn't. (Haven't pulled the trigger on my Pile of Loot at BBTS yet, so I don't know about Guritz.)

Sometimes there is some slight deformation and shrinkage between the original and the mold. Maybe that's why?

Asmus
08-05-2014, 09:18 PM
I would think its the photo, the one I have at hand looks ok.
May be its the shade on the cheek that makes it look narrow on the photo.

Darklord Dave
08-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Isn't it true sideshow is working on a hobbit line? Maybe that means we'll get to have Gandalf the white and grey.

No truth to that at all. SSC is done with 1/6 Tolkien.

kylemm
08-06-2014, 12:01 AM
No truth to that at all. SSC is done with 1/6 Tolkien.

Not according to this image that has been in the coming soon folder on sideshow.com

I will say it doesn't specify exactly what is in production. However, it does say "Hobbit figures".

Here's the link: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/the-hobbit/hobbit-figures-coming-soon/

superdoug
08-06-2014, 07:40 AM
I had thought maybe waaaaay back when that image first appeared but that was around the time that the 1st hobbit movie came out and they have brought nothing forth yet. I don't see them deciding to put product out for the last movie. They showed nothing at SDCC so unless they kept it a secret, at best you wouldn't get anything until the 5 Armies DVD release and I don't see Sideshow starting a figure line at that point. At most we might see a few PFs or statues but that is probably a very optimistic view.

pixletwin
08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Kyle, you're dreaming if you think SS is ever going back to 1:6 figures. That teaser doesn't do anything at all to suggest that they.

Also, on the whole I think this Gandalf looks pretty good.

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Sometimes I don't understand the demand for accuracy to the point where you will pass on a pretty good figure for the unlikely possibility that a more accurate one will happen in the future. There are two outcomes with that mentality: 1) that no other figure is ever made, or 2) there will always be a more accurate version made if given enough time so whatever you buy -- even if you think it's perfect at the time -- will be dated at some point.

Gandalf looks to be a solid 7-8 on the current perfection scale (HT generally being best). Whereas I would put the old Sideshow figures (in general) at about a 5-6 now (those scores reflect the excellent outfits over the sculpt). For comparison, DiD and Toybiz hit 2-3 in general.

pixletwin
08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
If Asmus does Saruman, I will buy it. :lecture

Bucky Underbelly
08-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Even if Sideshow was to get back into the Middle Earth 1/6 figure business, there's just not much chance they'd do more than a couple of figures before putting the line "on hold." It's too much investment for not enough payoff for them. Not when they've got the much better selling properties like Star Wars, Marvel and DC. It just doesn't make sense for them from a business perspective.

Not that there isn't a market for Middle Earth. It's just nowhere near as big. Look at Weta ... their statues don't sell out, even though, in my opinion, they're just as well sculpted as Sideshow, and their paint aps are better. And their limited editions are only set at 1000 pieces. (I'm sure they're selling just fine, but nearly all are still available after almost two years.)

I think Asmus is the perfect sized company for this line and they're doing it in the exact right price/quality range. I think they're hitting the sweet spot for the ME market.

And I think they're doing a pretty great job with these figures so far! :clap

Sankari
08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I think the issue with Gandalf's head is mostly because we're used to the other hairstyle on gandalf the white
He does have a very narrow angular face, but with the hair loose , its harder to notice

kylemm
08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
If Asmus does Saruman, I will buy it. :lecture

Yes! I'm dying for a sixth scale sauron. That would be epic.

Asmus
08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Thank to all of you being supportive.

I think there are many aspects to look at the issue. SS is shifting away on 1:6, as they have had a huge success in status,
which has a way higher profit margin, also, they have done a wonderful job to expend such market, normally with their PF, it will hit around 3000 pc,
it is 3 times to our "good" sale for 1/6, and each PF sold about 2 times the price.

Like Bucky Underbelly mentioned right, I would believe it is hard for Sideshow to go back to 1:6 LOTR with the company size they are managing today.

Asmus
08-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Back to our Gandalf.

In our game plan. we are still working on "improving" at this stage of figure production. Like Wor-Ger said, Hot Toys is no doubt the 10/10 1:6 figures brand now. They are the best in everything regarding 1:6 figures.

To me (also behave of Asmus, because we talked about it all the time), to get even on their standard, will be our ultimate goal. It will require so much more experience, resource and skills to get there. And we are just not there yet.

We did Morgul-Lord, Gothmog and Guritz to begin with because we wanted to work on less important characters, as a "practice", to learn about making figure in the proper way. I hope what I said does not put the buyers of these figures in a wrong angle, we did our best to make them with what we know at the time of making, there are just things we picked up to improve along the way, and quickly apply them on the next figure.

Gandalf's end product is a huge step to us, the paint jobs and body was vastly improved according to the feedback. Especially the paint job, was done in the "1/6" way (factory said 40 steps solely on the head)

And now we are more confident to take on the challenge of human characters !!

And the good news is, we have also nailed the extend deal for LOTR, and the Hobbits. So as far as I konw, if Sideshow and Weta not doing 1:6 action figure, then Asmus should be the only one to do it now.

Asmus
08-06-2014, 11:18 AM
So hopefully, in Arargorn, we can see another big leap forward, to get at least 8 or 9 /10.

And may be by the time we are done with LOTR, we can present some solid 10/10 figures of LOTR and Hobbits.

hoodonit00
08-06-2014, 11:24 AM
So hopefully, in Arargorn, we can see another big leap forward, to get at least 8 or 9 /10.

And may be by the time we are done with LOTR, we can present some solid 10/10 figures of LOTR and Hobbits.
Thanks for all the info. Since you teased a pic of Aragorn from the side can we expects some more pics soon? I for the most part love what you have released so far. If I could complain about anything it would be the bodies. 2 of the 3 I have the arms are so loose they can't even hold their arms up. Hope this is addressed with Gandalf.

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Gandalf's end product is a huge step to us...

I agree and I think it shows. It's vastly improved when compared to Asmus' earlier human work like "Night at the Museum" or the Jim Carrey figures.

And the good news is, we have also nailed the extend deal for LOTR, and the Hobbits.

That's very good news!!! Congratulations!

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 11:26 AM

I fully expect you will get there with these kinds of improvements. :duff

kl241
08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
What about ACI? They aren't making 1:6 LOTR?

superdoug
08-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Gandalf looks to be a solid 7-8 on the current perfection scale (HT generally being best). Whereas I would put the old Sideshow figures (in general) at about a 5-6 now (those scores reflect the excellent outfits over the sculpt). For comparison, DiD and Toybiz hit 2-3 in general.

I agree with you on Gandalf (probably an 8 to 8+ range for me), Sideshow I don't think can go above 5 because of the horrid paint. Back when they were released they would have ranked higher but expectations were lower overall. Now for DiD and ToyBiz you totally lost me. Maybe one or two of the figures crept to the 2-3 range but most hovered around 0.

Asmus
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
What about ACI? They aren't making 1:6 LOTR?

Long story short,
They were licensed for Ringwraith and Aragorn only.

Asmus
08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
I agree with you on Gandalf (probably an 8 to 8+ range for me), Sideshow I don't think can go above 5 because of the horrid paint. Back when they were released they would have ranked higher but expectations were lower overall. Now for DiD and ToyBiz you totally lost me. Maybe one or two of the figures crept to the 2-3 range but most hovered around 0.

I would give Toybiz for 2,
For "selections"

They had almost everyone ! And that gave me a good old memory, searching for them in different shops.

jra81984
08-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Well the thing I appreciate about all this with Asmus is that our input is taken into consideration. This is not something that can occur with a company such as Hot Toys. I for one appreciate being along for this journey, and I thoroughly enjoy buying your product. I look forward to more to come!

I also pumped for the Mr. ? figure due out, which is a non LOTR figure from them!

superdoug
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
And the good news is, we have also nailed the extend deal for LOTR, and the Hobbits.

Fantastic news! I hope this line runs for a long time and is successful for Asmus. I really appreciate them taking the risk and I hope it pays off.

I hope so too! So far I am all in on this. From the pictures it sure looks like Gandalf is another step in the right direction. Hopefully in time you will get to re-visiting all of the figures that Sideshow made too. I have a feeling that Sideshow Legolas will look out of place next to Asmus Gandalf, Aragorn and (someday) Gimli.

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Now for DiD and ToyBiz you totally lost me. Maybe one or two of the figures crept to the 2-3 range but most hovered around 0.

For "selections"

Yeah, that was my thinking, depends on what figure you are considering. ToyBiz did a pretty good Ringwraith... not that its hard. Some of their outfit parts are decent, like Bilbo and Arwen and others. I said outfit parts. For bashes. Like, I'm planning an Arwen bash and I think the Arwen purple outfit is pretty good, just the weird body and tiny, tiny head killed the overall doll. DiD and ToyBiz made good Gimli parts for a bashable Gimli for us that went that way in the early days.

I think I save the "1" for something like Barbie Arwen and Ken Aragorn. :lol

Sankari
08-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I for one, am eager to continue supporting a company that is willing to take on fan/customer feedback, and to release figures we have not seen yet.
I loved the "evil side" (Mogul Lord, orcs, Nazgul + Steed). I hope they keep on for long enough to release a killer Sauron.
Given the level of detail on Mogul lord ( clothes + accessories + armor) , I guess they're the right company for a fully armored 1/6 Sauron
I enjoyed Gandalf, I think I was on the fence for a while because of the lack of updates, but now that he is out, I think he turned out much better than I expected.

superdoug
08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
For "selections"

They had almost everyone ! And that gave me a good old memory, searching for them in different shops.

True their 12" line did have a good amount of characters.

Now if you are talking about their 6" line then I would have to change my ranking big time. That line was about as deep as a non-Star Wars line can be. I still have an entire set of them. I remember hunting them down at lunchtime and after school would get out and even ordering cases of them. Lord of the Rings brought me into the collection hobby and Sideshow brought me into the 1/6 scale with their Lord of the Rings line.

kylemm
08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
I for one, am eager to continue supporting a company that is willing to take on fan/customer feedback, and to release figures we have not seen yet.
I loved the "evil side" (Mogul Lord, orcs, Nazgul + Steed). I hope they keep on for long enough to release a killer Sauron.
Given the level of detail on Mogul lord ( clothes + accessories + armor) , I guess they're the right company for a fully armored 1/6 Sauron
I enjoyed Gandalf, I think I was on the fence for a while because of the lack of updates, but now that he is out, I think he turned out much better than I expected.

I keep bumping this subject. Haha

Asmus could definitely pull it off. I love to collect the iconic villains, and he is in the top list. In my opinion anyways. Sauron with a black rider and the morgue lord on either side sounds like a fantastic display.

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Perhaps the Build-an-Orc option could be used to Build-a-SAURON.

Of course, I'm quite sure Sauron would be a runaway sales monster all on its own.

Sankari
08-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Perhaps the Build-an-Orc option could be used to Build-a-SAURON.

Of course, I'm quite sure Sauron would be a runaway sales monster all on its own.

That would force most of us to get characters that we don't want. Its counterproductive.
Sauron himself would be a an instant success.

I see a lot of people ordering the Nazgul , and a lot of people after the Witch King...

kl241
08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Last thing this line needs are a bunch of Orc Clones. :lol

SirGor
08-06-2014, 05:19 PM
:galadriel GO ASMUS! :ogat

rhboyd
08-06-2014, 05:20 PM
wow... really amazing input from the SOURCE! SO appreciated!! I can only imagine the thick skin you must have.... bravo!!

Reefer Shark
08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Asmus has already completely won me over already with Morgul Lord, Guritz, and Gothmog.

Any other figures now are just icing on the cake and I will get them all, no way am I missing out on the build-an-orc. Can't wait to see what the head sculpt is gonna look like on that one

Wor-Gar
08-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Can't wait to see what the head sculpt is gonna look like on that one

"Trapjaw" -- the Orc that we are building in the build-an-orc scenario -- has no head sculpt; the helmet and what you see between the slats is it.

dwing
08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I still want all things Rohirrim related. I just bought a Gothmog for a great price(waiting for it to arrive). Thank you Asmus.

kylemm
08-06-2014, 11:26 PM
If sauron was next after Aragorn and the witch king that would be epic. I really want a sauron but don't wanna pay 900 for a sideshow. Statue

Asmus
08-07-2014, 03:26 AM
If sauron was next after Aragorn and the witch king that would be epic. I really want a sauron but don't wanna pay 900 for a sideshow. Statue

We will definitely make Sauron,
but not any time sooner. There is dwarfs and Lurtz needs to be taken care of~

denrep-lilium
08-07-2014, 03:58 AM

Any hope for Arwen and Galadriel?

And at some point we will need hobbits with a proper paint and details.

superdoug
08-07-2014, 04:00 AM
There is dwarfs and Lurtz needs to be taken care of~

:clap :goodpost: :clap

Wor-Gar
08-07-2014, 07:43 AM
... Lurtz needs to be taken care of~

Oh yes! Indeed!

pixletwin
08-07-2014, 07:56 AM

What about Saruman? He is probably my most wanted.

jra81984
08-07-2014, 08:01 AM
What about Saruman? He is probably my most wanted.

I would love Saruman for sure. I would be thrilled with Lurtz too.

Is asmus going to be doing the hero hobbits as well? I never went for the Sideshow ones and I would love to get them with updated outfits and sculpts at some point.

superdoug
08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Three issues I have with Sideshow hobbits.

1. The base body is too big.

2. The split at the shins is pretty ugly.

3. They never made Merry and Pippin.

I know it might be a while before Asmus gets around to being able to design a hobbit body but when they do if they are going to re-make Frodo and Sam hopefully they will make a base body more in scale but if they are only planning on making Merry, Pippin and Bilbo then hopefully they keep the body in scale with Sideshows so we can display them all together.

rhboyd
08-07-2014, 09:40 AM
agreed on those points about the Sideshow hobbits... the proportions were SO weird... almost as if the heads were regular human size on small bodies... the accessories and costumes were good... but the whole fig just ended up looking 'off'... sigh...

Wor-Gar
08-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I agree. The Hobbits were probably the biggest disappointment for me in the Sideshow LOTR line. I can't wait to see how Asmus improves upon them. First thing: get the scale and proportions correct.... which means, they are going to be very tiny. But that's the point.

pixletwin
08-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Getting them down to proper scale is easy. It's making the clothes look convincing at such a small size that will be the real challenge.

Wor-Gar
08-07-2014, 09:57 AM
How tall would they be in 1/6th? 5 inches? Definitely going to be tricky on the clothing.

pixletwin
08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I believe the average hobbit is 3 1/2 feet, so that would be 7 inches.

Wor-Gar
08-07-2014, 10:08 AM
OK. And how tall is Gimli? 8-9 inches?

The SS Hobbits were really Gimli height weren't they?

pixletwin
08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
4 1/2 feet right? So roughly 9 inches. But he is so much armor, I don't think that will present as much a problem scaled down proper as the Hobbits will.

kylemm
08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm new to collecting so forgive my ignorance. What makes it more difficult clothing wise to do a smaller figure such as a hobbit? I understand they have to design a new body, but I don't understand the clothing.

Also, is arwen and galadriel on anyone else's top for wanted figures? I think asmus could do a great job. I didn't feel like sideshow did a very good job with the head sculpt on the liv Tyler arwen statues. Or the galadriel statue for that matter. Hopefully I don't offend anyone. Just my opinion.

pixletwin
08-07-2014, 12:06 PM
If not done right the clothing will not look in scale. It will look bulky, stiff, and ill fitting.

Reefer Shark
08-07-2014, 11:45 PM
"Trapjaw" -- the Orc that we are building in the build-an-orc scenario -- has no head sculpt; the helmet and what you see between the slats is it.

Oh cool! I love that helmet, very medieval

Stryker2011
08-08-2014, 03:45 AM
I'm new to collecting so forgive my ignorance. What makes it more difficult clothing wise to do a smaller figure such as a hobbit? I understand they have to design a new body, but I don't understand the clothing.

Also, is arwen and galadriel on anyone else's top for wanted figures? I think asmus could do a great job. I didn't feel like sideshow did a very good job with the head sculpt on the liv Tyler arwen statues. Or the galadriel statue for that matter. Hopefully I don't offend anyone. Just my opinion.

Working with 1:1 cloth on a 1:6 figure is always tricky when there are layers of clothing, because, as mentioned it will look bulky. First off, the thickness of the cloth is not designed for something that small, and then the body has to be appropriately undersized (looking completely ridiculous sans clothing), to make that thicker material add to the bodies diminished bulk, and hence look "normal". And as anyone who has ever tried to make their own 1:6 clothing will tell you, the smaller an item has to be, the trickier it becomes to make, and look appropriate. If you're ever tempted... remove the clothes on a figure (particularly some of the military figures out there) and you'll see what I mean about the body looking stupid.

You are not alone with Arwen and Galadriel, either. I'd love them, and a Eowyn as well. There are only 3 prominent female characters in the Lord of the Rings films, and I want all of them. If they do The Hobbit, I'd want an Evangeline Lilly fig also.

kylemm
08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Working with 1:1 cloth on a 1:6 figure is always tricky when there are layers of clothing, because, as mentioned it will look bulky. First off, the thickness of the cloth is not designed for something that small, and then the body has to be appropriately undersized (looking completely ridiculous sans clothing), to make that thicker material add to the bodies diminished bulk, and hence look "normal". And as anyone who has ever tried to make their own 1:6 clothing will tell you, the smaller an item has to be, the trickier it becomes to make, and look appropriate. If you're ever tempted... remove the clothes on a figure (particularly some of the military figures out there) and you'll see what I mean about the body looking stupid.

You are not alone with Arwen and Galadriel, either. I'd love them, and a Eowyn as well. There are only 3 prominent female characters in the Lord of the Rings films, and I want all of them. If they do The Hobbit, I'd want an Evangeline Lilly fig also.

Evangeline would be fantastic as well. I appreciate you taking the time to explain that. I figured it was someway of a dumb question, but the morgul lord was my first sixth scale figure. So that gives you a idea of how little I have been collecting!

rhboyd
08-08-2014, 01:08 PM
ohman... I wasn't even thinking.... but yes... Tauriel.... yes PLEASE!!!!!

Jrobertson
08-10-2014, 12:45 PM
I would love to see them make Azog

hoodonit00
08-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I would love to see them make Azog
I'm just hoping they get most of the main characters made from LOTR before they try The Hobbit characters.

Jrobertson
08-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah I would want them to do that first as well.

Protozaius
08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I think we are going to get a mix from both trilogies soon.

Personally, I would rather see them make a Martin Freeman Bilbo before they make a Ian Holm one.

Reefer Shark
08-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Azog is probably my most wanted next out of this line. The bridge direct figure is ok, but yeah, gimme a nice 1/6 Azog please

juntao05
08-11-2014, 05:17 AM
Figureproshop has it in stock on ebay for 219.99

sent from The Leaky Cauldron

jra81984
08-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Figureproshop has it in stock on ebay for 219.99

No thanks! I can get it on BBTS for $169.99

juntao05
08-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Just saying for those who can't wait.

Jrobertson
08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
[URL=http://s481.photobucket.com/user/PlaxicoBurress17/media/Asmus-Gandalf-10.jpg.html]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/PlaxicoBurress17/Asmus-Gandalf-10.jpg[/URL

I found a in stock photo from a ebay seller.

Bucky Underbelly
08-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Hmm. Looks like they didn't go with the lighter colored threading after all.

kl241
08-11-2014, 09:52 AM
[URL=http://s481.photobucket.com/user/PlaxicoBurress17/media/Asmus-Gandalf-10.jpg.html]http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/PlaxicoBurress17/Asmus-Gandalf-10.jpg[/URL

I found a in stock photo from a ebay seller.

So glad I passed on this.

pixletwin
08-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Reminds me of this guy:

Wor-Gar
08-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Did this get posted...?

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w514/SithThundercracker/GtWfull_zps1ddb5b4c.jpg

Vest does seem a bit dark in that boxed photo, but not too much different than their own pics...

http://www.actionfigurefury.com/wp-content/uploads/sixth-scale-lord-of-the-rings-gandalf-the-white-figure-by-asmus-toys-001.jpg

Jrobertson
08-11-2014, 10:05 AM
I still think it looks good and I will be getting it.

Crimsonbob
08-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Some serious futzing, clothing soak and possibly a body swap and i reckon i'll be happy with him.

dwing
08-11-2014, 05:46 PM
That vest is too dark. Otherwise it is a 6/10 for me.

hoodonit00
08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I already have it on preorder and I won't cancel it but it sure doesn't look as nice as the prototype that they previewed. Will probably look better in hand but still changed to much for my liking from prototype.

Protozaius
08-11-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm really on the fence with this one. Overall, it's a fairly nice figure, but that dark stitching on the vest really throws it off. I think it really cheapens the look of the figure. Maybe the cloak could be positioned to cover most of it up... or how it would look if it was taken off altogether. :dunno

And from the photo with the figure in the box, his neck looks a tad too long.

I'd like to see more in hand pics before I make the final decision. Since I've already cancelled my order, I hope there will be some left to purchase if I happen to change my mind. :pray:

Wor-Gar
08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I wonder if bleach will aid in dulling those threads? Generally bleach does not work on thread.

jra81984
08-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I wonder if bleach will aid in dulling those threads? Generally bleach does not work on thread.

I wondered that too..... It depends upon the fibre and if it's a synthetic. It's a big risk to find out haha.

Parkhopper
08-11-2014, 10:23 PM
This figure is pretty good; I just think it needs some tweaks on the vest.

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 09:22 AM
http://4ac22a1a28b96601a7f8-ddfffb568a86abec8c9620e1ea25db07.r11.cf6.rackcdn.c om/63425312520db23e39a7adc03620b6a0_IMG_3792_resize.J PG

First time I've seen this kind of shipper with Asmus. The other 3 figures I've gotten have been plain boxes with a yellow sticker indicating who it is.

Bucky Underbelly
08-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Is that the outer shipper, Wor-Gar?

(Do you have this in hand or did you find the pic elsewhere?)

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess it is. I don't have it. Maybe its released in Asia... en route here.

superdoug
08-12-2014, 10:35 AM
I am pretty sure both the Witch King and Gothmog had that Lord of the Ring design on the box. At least the ones I got.

Darklord Dave
08-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I am pretty sure both the Witch King and Gothmog had that Lord of the Ring design on the box. At least the ones I got.

On the artbox, not the shipper.

Bucky Underbelly
08-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Yup. The art box had the logo, but my shippers were plain. (I think the shippers had the usual block text with the name of the figure, but I could be mis-remembering that.)

Sankari
08-12-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm mostly waiting for a hands on review, to decide

superdoug
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
On the artbox, not the shipper.

I pretty sure my shipper box had some kind of stamp/design on it. I could be wrong. I will try to take a picture tonight if it did and admit that I am wrong if it was a plain brown box or I will just shift blame to the baby and the sleepless nights I am having due to teething. :monkey3

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm mostly waiting for a hands on review, to decide

I would like that too, although I still have my preorder with BBTS, usually there is time between the first in-hand pics and the time that BBTS finally gets their orders.

This one kind of got out there quickly with little fanfare... which also concerns me.

hoodonit00
08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
I would like that too, although I still have my preorder with BBTS, usually there is time between the first in-hand pics and the time that BBTS finally gets their orders.

This one kind of got out there quickly with little fanfare... which also concerns me.
That pic that was posted from the eBay seller doesn't give me too much confidence.

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1553318_10151799005896968_1538577492_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asmus-Toys/146632816967

So is this the stitching that looks so dark now? God, I hope they didn't use gray or black thread.

hoodonit00
08-12-2014, 04:08 PM
So is this the stitching that looks so dark now? God, I hope they didn't use gray or black thread.
When that picture was first shown Asmus said they were using white thread. When Asmus started posting pics of the release and we're asked about the dark thread they said it was silver and maybe the pic was making it look so dark.

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 04:55 PM
When that picture was first shown Asmus said they were using white thread. When Asmus started posting pics of the release and we're asked about the dark thread they said it was silver and maybe the pic was making it look so dark.

I sure hope that's true.

I really don't want to bleach or pain-stakingly handpaint the thread. :)

jra81984
08-12-2014, 04:59 PM
I sure hope that's true.

I really don't want to bleach or pain-stakingly handpaint the thread. :)

Oof... The shine on that thread makes me think that's not going to work with dye / bleach

rhboyd
08-12-2014, 05:05 PM
if it is too dark, though... probably simply dry brushing some white over it will make ALL the difference!!

Wor-Gar
08-12-2014, 06:33 PM
That sounds like the plan.

kl241
08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
If this had been another $120 Art Figures release like their King, I may have bought it. I would have been a bit more forgiving on accuracy knowing that it was an unlicensed knock-off versus an almost $200 fully licensed figure that has no excuse not to be as accurate as possible from the sculpting to the paint and tailoring.

Asmus
08-13-2014, 04:39 PM
If this had been another $120 Art Figures release like their King, I may have bought it. I would have been a bit more forgiving on accuracy knowing that it was an unlicensed knock-off versus an almost $200 fully licensed figure that has no excuse not to be as accurate as possible from the sculpting to the paint and tailoring.

Sometimes changes was made because it just not look good enough in 1/6,
we didn't like it too, but if we don't, it will be both ugly and wrong.

I have a Art Figure the King too, the kind approach they make the outfit (printing, stickers ...etc)
are the easy and cheap way. Sometimes there are more things to look into than accuracy.

Jrobertson
08-14-2014, 10:57 AM
When do you think Gandalf will be out in the states?

Wor-Gar
08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Takes a month usually. Not sure when it was released in Asia technically. Still waiting on more in-hand pictures.

Darklord Dave
08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Sometimes changes was made because it just not look good enough in 1/6,
we didn't like it too, but if we don't, it will be both ugly and wrong.

I have a Art Figure the King too, the kind approach they make the outfit (printing, stickers ...etc)
are the easy and cheap way. Sometimes there are more things to look into than accuracy.

Thank you for realizing that the Art Figure way is NOT the way to go with these. I was VERY disappointed with The King and I don't even have him on display.

superdoug
08-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Yup. I have the Art Figure boxed away. I also found the costume on him to be way too fragile. I always felt like I was going to break something.

Gipetto0812
08-15-2014, 02:38 PM
yep I sold my AF King figure long ago with all my other LOTR figures.

Sankari
08-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Here is a hands-on review http://action-figure-district.de/asmus-toys-lord-of-the-rings-gandalf-the-white/

Found some pictures 127772 127773 127774 127775 127776 127777 127778

source : http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/

hoodonit00
08-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks a lot for posting the link. I feel much better about the head sculpt now. Looked so narrow in some of the other pics. I had my doubts about how this figure was going to look but I think it looks really good in these pics. Going to look even better in hand. Can't wait to get it.

jra81984
08-16-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks a lot for posting the link. I feel much better about the head sculpt now. Looked so narrow in some of the other pics.

I still have mixed feelings on this one, I can't place why. It might be the dark threading on the vest.

hoodonit00
08-16-2014, 07:12 AM
I still have mixed feelings on this one, I can't place why. It might be the dark threading on the vest.
I know it's not accurate but it doesn't bother me but it was supposed to be fixed. Looks like it's lighter on the main part of the vest and darker around the collar area.

pixletwin
08-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Needs a lot of futzing I think. Hopefully someone posts a few futz'd pics.

Wor-Gar
08-16-2014, 09:50 AM

Looks like he's step into an Indiana Jones movie.

Still looks like the mold got a bit squashed...

http://action-figure-district.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/asm-gandalf-head2.jpg

But that said, it holds up very well next to the Sideshow Gandalf...

http://action-figure-district.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/asm-gandalf-head3.jpg

There's so much detail under the vest, I wonder how he'd look without it. Puffing on his pipe.

http://action-figure-district.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/asm-gandalf-costume7.jpg

The Asmus Collection so far...

http://action-figure-district.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/asm-gandalf-family.jpg

abake
08-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I think this figure needs a lot of futzing and some water treatment.
The robes must hang correctly to make it really shine. Posing will be very important too, you obviously can't have it fighting with that expression.

SithThundercracker
08-16-2014, 11:14 AM
I like him but I can't stand those little black squares on the chest. I'll need to cover 'em up.

kl241
08-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Looks like he's step into an Indiana Jones movie.

Still looks like the mold got a bit squashed...

http://action-figure-district.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/asm-gandalf-head2.jpg

Yup, glassed I passed on Squishy. Thanks for the pics they reaffirmed my decision.

SirGor
08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
I Sure Hope Aragorn comes out better. :pray:

jra81984
08-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Are there parts in the film where he does not wear the vest?

hoodonit00
08-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Yup, glassed I passed on Squishy. Thanks for the pics they reaffirmed my decision.
You really seem to hate this line.

kl241
08-16-2014, 03:21 PM
You really seem to hate this line.

Not at all. I had high hopes. The Gothmog and Morgul Lord were fantastic. Like Sideshow their human figures leave much to be desired.

hoodonit00
08-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Not at all. I had high hopes. The Gothmog and Morgul Lord were fantastic. Like Sideshow their human figures leave much to be desired.

What don't you like about Gandalf?

kl241
08-16-2014, 03:50 PM
What don't you like about Gandalf?

Head looks squished, hair is poorly sculpted/painted, doesn't look like McKellan, tailoring on vest, cuffs is not accurate. After seeing in-hand pics I'm glad I cancelled my order.

SirGor
08-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Head looks squished, hair is poorly sculpted/painted, doesn't look like McKellan, tailoring on vest, cuffs is not accurate. After seeing in-hand pics I'm glad I cancelled my order.

I think Asmus could have done better. :(

hoodonit00
08-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Like I already said, the posted link made me feel better about Gandalf. Shame you guys don't like it.

Sankari
08-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I liked it, but I still want to see someone try to adjust the vests better, like most people ( myself included) have done with the Witch King.

Also, (and I think its a matter of personal preference ), I'd like to remove the sculpted hair, and give him rooted hair.

I'd prefered if they had done Gandalf the Grey first - none of the existing versions are good enough in my opinion.

Jrobertson
08-16-2014, 05:39 PM
I really like this one and I think it looks better then the Premium Format sideshow made a while back.

Rydeck
08-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I'd prefered if they had done Gandalf the Grey first - none of the existing versions are good enough in my opinion.

Asmus has said that they're still learning their craft and are always trying to improve with Hot Toys-type quality in mind. Waiting for an Asmus version of Gandalf the Grey, if they make him, should ideally result in a better product down the line.

kl241
08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
They are not even in the same league as Hot Toys, I'd say just a step above Sideshow but not by much.

Wake
08-16-2014, 10:26 PM
THIS LOOKS TERRIBLE. Im so disappointed. Oh well... will save me some money

Wor-Gar
08-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Are there parts in the film where he does not wear the vest?

Yes. That's why I said I might pose him without the vest.

I might have to settle for relaxed White... even though everyone, myself included, wants Warrior White.

I have to say I'm not real happy with the way the head turned out. I can see why people are passing. For now, I'm keeping my preorder and hoping I'll be happier with it in hand. All three of the previous figures were much better in hand than any picture I had seen. I'm curious to see more pictures for consistency.

Rydeck
08-17-2014, 02:07 AM
They are not even in the same league as Hot Toys, I'd say just a step above Sideshow but not by much.

Well, yeah. Thus the goal of improving. It may be a long road that some collectors will want to sit out, but interacting with the community appears to be helping Asmus along (see Aragorn thread).

Hot Toys had plenty of hits and misses on its way to the top and it still has misses from time to time. And at least Asmus is committed to this line, which is more than I can say of Hot Toys and its many one-off/half-complete/dead licenses... Platoon, Sucker Punch, Lone Ranger, Avatar, Watchmen, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

kingbumble
08-17-2014, 03:53 AM
I think one of the problems with the photos is that the shadow on the cheeks makes his face seem narrower than it probably actually is. That combined with the overly large irises (a problem which seems to be plaguing Asmus' human sculpts at the moment) work together to make it seem like the face is squished. I think with a paler paintjob with more emphasis on making the skin look as aged as it should, the sculpt would shine as it should

Also I think the outfit will benefit greatly from water treatment - out of the box it looks way too flouncy

superdoug
08-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Based on my experience stuff normally looks better in hand, with that in mind I think it is a good addition to the line. Is it Hot Toys? No but it also isn't $220 plus before shipping. Mine is under $170 (without shipping) and compared to Sideshow's Drake the final product head sculpt seems worlds better.

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Based on my experience stuff normally looks better in hand, with that in mind I think it is a good addition to the line. Is it Hot Toys? No but it also isn't $220 plus before shipping. Mine is under $170 (without shipping) and compared to Sideshow's Drake the final product head sculpt seems worlds better.
I agree. It's not 100% like the prototype but it's very close. I can see people complaining about the darkness of the stitching on the vest but that's about it. In this pic. you can see that the sculpt isn't squished. 127929

It's just from afar that it looks squished. This picture looks very much like the prototype.127930

As has been pointed out, all the fabric is stiff. Once it is water treated and hangs more realistically this figure will shine.

Geb
08-17-2014, 06:19 AM
For all the die-hard LOTR fans out there...lets just compare this to the Sideshow Gandalf the Grey sculpt. In my opinion, this is leaps and bounds ahead. Perhaps it is more paint and texture, but e end product is way better. The Sideshow gandalf just looks too much like Santa:(

jankatana
08-17-2014, 07:12 AM
The choice of fabric is so cheap, sorry to say :-( theres no excuse for the outfit and cape to stand on end. Rigid fabrics are not good enough asmus, i can do better using 25p offcuts. Will hang on for gandalf the grey instead. Its the simple things that are the most annoying. On a positive note i love eowyn previews ;-)

elvis1976
08-17-2014, 07:52 AM
I feel a bit disapointed. Face doesn't do anything for me he looks kinda odd. The worst is the hair IMO it looks like some bits of clay waiting to be sculpted.
I wanted to buy it but decided to pass.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 08:25 AM
You can sort of see Ian McKellen in the sculpt especially around the eyes. Not sure what happened because what they showed a little while back had a pretty decent likeness to him. Also, I'm not sure why on the stitching they went back to the dark threads after changing it. Those two things for me would be quite disappointing if I was going to get this.

jra81984
08-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I ended up cancelling this one. I really want to like it, but I am just not there. I feel like at this price point it needs to deliver more. I will wait for some more in hand pictures.

starscream0
08-17-2014, 08:55 AM
I ended up cancelling this one. I really want to like it, but I am just not there. I feel like at this price point it needs to deliver more. I will wait for some more in hand pictures.

I cancelled mine as well :(

What really killed it for me is his expression, it's dead. I can't see any emotion in his face - anger, surprise, joy, etc.

I had really high hopes for this line but with him and Eowyn (who I think looks awful), I'm sad, really wanted to love this

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 09:10 AM
I cancelled mine as well :(

What really killed it for me is his expression, it's dead. I can't see any emotion in his face - anger, surprise, joy, etc.

I had really high hopes for this line but with him and Eowyn (who I think looks awful), I'm sad, really wanted to love this
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpts have? If anything I think this expression fits Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head sculpt is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

kl241
08-17-2014, 09:15 AM
:lol Blandalf.

jra81984
08-17-2014, 09:22 AM
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpt have? If anything I think this expression fots Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head cult is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

I can't make $180 purchases just to save a line. I want this line to succeed and I will continue to support it when a figure suits me. For $180 there are some quality issues I have with it that I just cannot shake. The vest thread is too dark, we were told it would be lightened but it still is way too dark. The sculpt looks ok, but the hair is bothering me. It is like Elvis stated... it just looks like unfinished clay.

Look at hot toys figures that are in the $200 range and the quality that you get, this is a large contrast! There are also a lot of figures coming out this fall, and I need to make wise choices. This one among the others just does not make the cut... My mind could change, but right now its where I stand.

starscream0
08-17-2014, 09:44 AM
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpts have? If anything I think this expression fits Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head sculpt is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

Neutral sculpts are fine, something is missing from his face, life. He looks like he's just been stabbed and is falling backward dead. Sorry but I was very excited about this until the latest pics. If I see more in hand pics and I like it, I'll buy it, no harm done.

I think Asmus is making awesome progress, but something changed from his prototype to production and I don't like it. Like jra said, I will still support the line if something comes along that I like. For now, I pass

jra81984
08-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Also take a look at the Star Ace Harry potter that is coming out. It has the same price point as this, but look at how refined the sculpt, accessories and tailoring are! They are relatively new to the scene as well, but they appear to be rocking it! This sculpt, especially in the hair needs some refining.

elvis1976
08-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Also take a look at the Star Ace Harry potter that is coming out. It has the same price point as this, but look at how refined the sculpt, accessories and tailoring are! They are relatively new to the scene as well, but they appear to be rocking it! This sculpt, especially in the hair needs some refining.

You know that is what is bothering me the most on Asmus product. Refinement!
FOr the orc rough things looks good cause it's how they are are. But for the human that is another thing. In general everything looks unrefined and rough. Tailoring is ok but the headsculpt looks rough as hell. That is my main grip especially for the price.

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 10:37 AM
You know that is what is bothering me the most on Asmus product. Refinement!
FOr the orc rough things looks good cause it's how they are are. But for the human that is another thing. In general everything looks unrefined and rough. Tailoring is ok but the headsculpt looks rough as hell. That is my main grip especially for the price.
I know I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll give it a break after this. I just can't see how someone thinks this sculpt has no character, is unrefined, or even that the hair doesn't look good.127973

elvis1976
08-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Well just look how the hair looks on the side. There is some visible gap and compared to the sculpting on the beard the hair is seriously lacking some details, add the sloppy paintjob on the hair and it's what I called unrefined.

kl241
08-17-2014, 10:54 AM
I know I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll give it a break after this. I just can't see how someone thinks this sculpt has no character, is unrefined, or even that the hair doesn't look good.127973

Blandalf looks like a very amateur sculpt. If this was a somebody's personal custom attempt at sculpting I'd say it's ok, but a fully licensed professional sculpt? Unacceptable.

starscream0
08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Well just look how the hair looks on the side. There is some visible gap and compared to the sculpting on the beard the hair is seriously lacking some details, add the sloppy paintjob on the hair and it's what I called unrefined.

The problem is with those pieces of hair hanging down on the sides of his beard, they're separate pieces just stuck on and I think they look pretty bad. I don't really have a problem with the sculpt looking like McKellen but to me, it lacks something

The Josh
08-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Enough with the Blandalf nonsense. We've got a company posting and being a part of this community. Either be respectful or you can get gone. Your choice.

jra81984
08-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Also the hair in general I see some chunkiness in the paint and or sculpt. I have no problem with sculpted strands of hair as long as it looks seamless... look at the Hot Toys Jokers. Also the outfit could have been done in a much better weighted fabric, and I am bothered by the vest detail, the thread looks so dark, it isn't even close to its on-screen counterpart. It also lacks some majorly important sleeve tailoring. I will be curious to see if anyone tries bleaching the vest. I think the embroidery details are nice, just completely the wrong color. I think no matter who or what company attacked this figure it is a complete challenge. An all white costume is not an easy undertaking by any means.

starscream0
08-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Also the hair in general I see some chunkiness in the paint and or sculpt. I have no problem with sculpted strands of hair as long as it looks seamless... look at the Hot Toys Jokers. Also the outfit could have been done in a much better weighted fabric, and I am bothered by the vest detail, the thread looks so dark, it isn't even close to its on-screen counterpart. It also lacks some majorly important sleeve tailoring. I will be curious to see if anyone tries bleaching the vest. I think the embroidery details are nice, just completely the wrong color. I think no matter who or what company attacked this figure it is a complete challenge. An all white costume is not an easy undertaking by any means.

I had zero complaints about this sculpt, not sure why it was changed. The hair was so much better too, blended together and looked great. The expression was 100x better vs the newer sculpt, he has life behind those eyes.

I agree with you on the all white costume not being an easy thing to pull off. If you use white string, it may look bland, if you use dark string, people with complain. I think at this scale, it's hard to see the fine detail except in person but I think Asmus would have done better to use all white material/stitching

Wake
08-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I feel a bit disapointed. Face doesn't do anything for me he looks kinda odd. The worst is the hair IMO it looks like some bits of clay waiting to be sculpted.
I wanted to buy it but decided to pass.
Your gandalf is LEAPS and BOUNDS better. Post a pic of it so people can see Seb.

dwing
08-17-2014, 01:39 PM
The production sculpt does not match up with the preview sculpt, it does look squished. The clothes look really good except for the chest pattern. The thread should be white not silver. It does not matter if it is visible from 10 feet away.

SirGor
08-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Blandalf looks like a very amateur sculpt. If this was a somebody's personal custom attempt at sculpting I'd say it's ok, but a fully licensed professional sculpt? Unacceptable.

I Agree Especially at the prices were paying for these figures.

Geb
08-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Sure reading some serious Asmus bashing lately on the Gandalf...from the same folks who are heaping praise on the Tonner Aragorn from ACI.

jra81984
08-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Sure reading some serious Asmus bashing lately on the Gandalf...from the same folks who are heaping praise on the Tonner Aragorn from ACI.

I like "tonner" aragorn on first glimpse. But the revised asmus sculpt is looking pretty strong.

nexus
08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Have to say the in-hand pics are a bit underwhelming. It doesn't look bad by a long shot, just about 90% what it should have been. There seem to be some changes from the proto and the hair looks pretty bad. Looks like I'll eventually be sending it out for some aftermarket customizing. I'd always planned to have the hair and beard modded with real hair, but also looks like a repaint may be in order as well as lightening the stitching and maybe a body swap. Hoping Asmus steps up its quality a little more on future releases. It's still early in the line, so I figure they are spinning up to speed. Just keep getting better and collectors will support the line.

kl241
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Have to say the in-hand pics are a bit underwhelming. It doesn't look bad by a long shot, just about 90% what it should have been. There seem to be some changes from the proto and the hair looks pretty bad. Looks like I'll eventually be sending it out for some aftermarket customizing. I'd always planned to have the hair and beard modded with real hair, but also looks like a repaint may be in order as well as lightening the stitching and maybe a body swap. Hoping Asmus steps up its quality a little more on future releases. It's still early in the line, so I figure they are spinning up to speed. Just keep getting better and collectors will support the line.

People shouldn't be having to extensively repaint/bodyswap/mod an almost $200 figure right out of the box.

SirGor
08-17-2014, 03:42 PM
People shouldn't be having to extensively repaint/bodyswap/mod an almost $200 figure right out of the box.

Your Dam Right.

Sankari
08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, I think there has been too much negativity lately about this ,
I'm not sure if I'll buy Gandalf the White, but some of the criticism is outright mean,
and may sever the goodwill that the company has with us collectors.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Well, I think there has been too much negativity lately about this ,
I'm not sure if I'll buy Gandalf the White, but some of the criticism is outright mean,
and may sever the goodwill that the company has with us collectors.

That's what I was talking about earlier. Being constructive and respectful when making ones complaints. If you all want ASMUS to stick around that will be the only way.

HotBallsJohnson
08-17-2014, 04:39 PM
This company listens and communicates directly with their fans. I've yet to see HT respond on their Fb page, let alone forums like these so I have absolute confidence Asmus will end up one of my favorites. I'll get gandalf to support the line and show my respect to a company that acts PROFESSIONAL.

Sankari
08-17-2014, 04:42 PM
That's what I was talking about earlier. Being constructive and respectful when making ones complaints. If you all want ASMUS to stick around that will be the only way.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and even when I can't get everything, I sure still hope that there are options, different choices.
Its actually a great thing that we have different companies competing , so we , as collectors and customers, can choose the ones that we want the most.
Its great that its been a 2 way channel, with feedback from the collectors, and that the company has been trying to deliver in response to our feedback.

I've ordered Eowyn, the Nazgul on steed combo, and I'm waiting for Aragorn as well. I don't really want Gandalf the White at the moment, I'll wait for Gandalf the grey (and obviously - Sauron!).

Its a company , and its a product , but the artists and people involved have feelings.

rhboyd
08-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Its a company , and its a product , but the artists and people involved have feelings.

an issue that so many on this board care not a whit about. always be considerate, even in the negatives please!!

jra81984
08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
This company listens and communicates directly with their fans. I've yet to see HT respond on their Fb page, let alone forums like these so I have absolute confidence Asmus will end up one of my favorites. I'll get gandalf to support the line and show my respect to a company that acts PROFESSIONAL.

I think a lot of the issue people are taking is that as this figure was getting made, the vest was revealed with dark thread. A lot of people took issue to it and Asmus later revealed a new proto with lighter thread. All of a sudden the figure went out the door and the in hand photos from China that came out showed that it had dark threading again. Asmus is receptive to these things, which is why I voice my opinions about it. If none voices an opinion nothing will be known. I have been a supporter of the brand for a long time before even the Lord of the Rings line became theirs. Heck I even have their "Night Guard" figure lol.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm a huge Tolkien fan, and even when I can't get everything, I sure still hope that there are options, different choices.
Its actually a great thing that we have different companies competing , so we , as collectors and customers, can choose the ones that we want the most.
Its great that its been a 2 way channel, with feedback from the collectors, and that the company has been trying to deliver in response to our feedback.

I've ordered Eowyn, the Nazgul on steed combo, and I'm waiting for Aragorn as well. I don't really want Gandalf the White at the moment, I'll wait for Gandalf the grey (and obviously - Sauron!).

I understand. I am also a huge Tolkien/Jackson/Middle-earth fan so I want to see good quality items for my fellow fans of Middle-earth.

nexus
08-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Many of the changes I'm talking about would be a matter of preference not necessity. Changing to real hair was always in the plans. All the other things I'll reserve until I actually see if in hand. I probably won't be doing anything for at least six months, so will look at best solutions others come up with. Will be nice to have a GtW in the collection.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Like I said before,
we did change the vest to silver stitch, because it looked right on the actual thing rather than pure white.
And I still feel the visibility on the stitch is rather low. At least, no bothering obvious.

jra81984
08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Like I said before,
we did change the vest to silver stitch, because it looked right on the actual thing rather than pure white.
And I still feel the visibility on the stitch is rather low. At least, no bothering obvious.

Nice boot detail!

Do you happen to have a pic if the robes under the vest?

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Like I said before,
I think the figure looks great and look forward to receiving it. Just some friendly advice though. This is the second time that collectors were told something that in the end didn't happen. The first being The Witch Kings replacement body which honestly bothered me and the second being the stitching on the vest which doesn't bother me. I would advise not to tell us something is going to happen, but then not follow through. If the majority of the feedback Asmus Toys got on the dark stitching on the vest was negative and they said they were going to change it then they should have followed through. I can see not doing something if it's going to cost a lot of money but I can't see how using white thread instead of silver would have hurt anything.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I think the figure looks great and look forward to receiving it. Just some friendly advice though. This is the second time that collectors were told something that in the end didn't happen. The first being The Witch Kings replacement body which honestly bothered me and the second being the stitching on the vest which doesn't bother me. I would advise not to tell us something is going to happen, but then not follow through. If the majority of the feedback Asmus Toys got on the dark stitching on the vest was negative and they said they were going to change it then they should have followed through. I can see not doing something if it's going to cost a lot of money but I can't see how using white thread instead of silver would have hurt anything.

Witchking body is happening,
and it will be given away for free.

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Witchking body is happening,
and it will be given away for free.
Well that is outstanding news. I thought the idea was scrapped.

SirGor
08-17-2014, 07:56 PM
I understand. I am also a huge Tolkien/Jackson/Middle-earth fan so I want to see good quality items for my fellow fans of Middle-earth.

I am as well and wish to see Really Good Representations of the Characters I Love, and Don't wish to see Expensive Figures with Poor Bodies & Tailoring and Head Sculpts that look like there Unlicensed Knock-Offs.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I am as well and wish to see Really Good Representations of the Characters I Love, and Don't wish to see Expensive Figures with Poor Bodies & Tailoring and Head Sculpts that look like there Unlicensed Knock-Offs.

I understand that.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Well that is outstanding news. I thought the idea was scrapped.

Yeah, the Gandalf body was a good improvement, but still not good enough to hold WitchKing.
but the plan isn't dead.

Lejuan
08-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Kinda sad to see the degree of disrespect being levelled at an emerging maker and active participant in the SSF threads.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Kinda sad to see the degree of disrespect being levelled at an emerging maker and active participant in the SSF threads.

:duff

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Isn't it though? I think a certain member is being insulting just for the sake of being insulting.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Isn't it though? I think a certain member is being insulting just for the sake of being insulting.

That's why I answer your worry,
because I know you are not~ :rotfl

Dingobuzz269
08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
And what is the point of the continual harping? We get you don't like the figure. Please move on.

Lee in MI
08-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Wow...this is taking some hits. I don't think it's that bad.

Actually, it's pretty good and what I expected. Kinda funny to hear guys wanting to compare this to Elvis' custom...of course his customs are gonna look better...they're customs! And its Elvis'!

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 08:42 PM
And what is the point of the continual harping? We get you don't like the figure. Please move on.
Damn near trolling if you ask me. It's a absolute disgrace to compare it to a toy biz figure.

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Wow...this is taking some hits. I don't think it's that bad.
It's not. Look at pictures of the prototype and the release. Are they exact? No, but they are close. SST figures change from prototype to release so I think I'll cut Asmus some slack.

kl241
08-17-2014, 08:45 PM
That's my opinion of the quality of this figure.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 08:46 PM

It is. I'm gonna start handing out infractions if I wake up tomorrow and see more of this crap.

The Josh
08-17-2014, 08:48 PM
That's my opinion of the quality of this figure.

We are aware of it. Time to move on. Thanks.

SwedishHeat
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Well, it's unfortunate the amount of trolling that went on in the ACI Ringwraith thread.

But no one seemed concerned about that. What's with the double-standard??

abake
08-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing some properly futzed photos of this figure.

SirGor
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
I mean no Disrespect to Asmus Toys or there Online Representative I just want Quality Figures for my Money. Just look at Star Ace for how a Start-up Company should put forth Licensed Figures.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 09:27 PM
I mean no Disrespect to Asmus Toys or there Online Representative I just want Quality Figures for my Money. Just look at Star Ace for how a Start-up Company should put forth Licensed Figures.

:wink1:

Totally agree, that is why I am sent here !

Like I said before, you guys have been wonderful, and if there is good constructive feed-backs,
we will all take in. Sometimes there are changes we just cannot do, but please believe me that we do not just read and dump the comments.

I do reports for all the good and bad points about our products, and it is why I am here for.

it is also a much more fun job than replying emails !

hoodonit00
08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
They haven't released any yet have they? Let's wait to see in hand pics before we jump to any conclusions.

SwedishHeat
08-17-2014, 09:31 PM
They haven't released any yet have they? Let's wait to see in hand pics before we jump to any conclusions.

Final pics were posted (http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?142966-Star-Ace-Harry-Potter-Sixth-Scale-Figure&p=7066233&viewfull=1#post7066233) last week.

Asmus
08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Final pics were posted (http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?142966-Star-Ace-Harry-Potter-Sixth-Scale-Figure&p=7066233&viewfull=1#post7066233) last week.

Their Ron was pretty spot on. Never thought Ron would be a character I want, but this has certainly changed my mind.

SirGor
08-17-2014, 09:45 PM
:wink1:

Totally agree, that is why I am sent here !

Like I said before, you guys have been wonderful, and if there is good constructive feed-backs,
we will all take in. Sometimes there are changes we just cannot do, but please believe me that we do not just read and dump the comments.

I do reports for all the good and bad points about our products, and it is why I am here for.

it is also a much more fun job than replying emails !

Thank You for Understanding and being Here on the Boards.

:ogat Rock on Asmus! :rock

elvis1976
08-18-2014, 01:12 AM
I decided to still give this a go.

I want to support Asmus in this line and i'm sure with some bit of work he can look good.

Petrolos
08-18-2014, 03:34 AM
I, too, love the way Asmus is actively participating in this forum, willing to let constructive criticism influence and improve their work. That's got to be a first from a professional company and I can't praise this attitude high enough!

superdoug
08-18-2014, 03:58 AM
This figure needs to arrive at bbts so I can ship my pile of loot and get Gurtiz and Gandalf in the house! I think Gandalg will fit in nicely with any repainted Sideshow figures. Sideshow figures without a repaint (except for the hobbits) will probably look really dated next to this figure.

The Josh
08-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Well, it's unfortunate the amount of trolling that went on in the ACI Ringwraith thread.

But no one seemed concerned about that. What's with the double-standard??

Anytime there is an issue just let me know.

Wor-Gar
08-18-2014, 07:46 AM
I decided to still give this a go.

I want to support Asmus in this line and i'm sure with some bit of work he can look good.

Yep, me too. I'm hanging in there.

D..C
08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I received Gandalf yesterday and set him up last night. Is he perfect, no. The shoulders are a little loose and there is no ankle articulation but do I like him? Hell yes, Its Gandalf! Asmus should be applauded for this coz there is a lot of detail in the costume that photos don't pick up and like Witch King his clothes are very layered and just need a little love. First thing I did was change his cradle so he stood a little better on his stand and i had a little trouble figuring out how to tie his sheath on but once I stuck that staff in his hand he looks great.

rhboyd
08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
ummmm.... pics?!?!

c'mon now!!
;)

D..C
08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I have tried but when I go to upload nothing happens, any advise?

jra81984
08-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Click on the picture icon and then click the "upload picture" button. It can be a little fussy. Make sure the images are not too large, that can be an issue with the upload process.

D..C
08-18-2014, 06:47 PM

D..C
08-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks!

Asmus
08-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks!

Thanks D.C

There is an instruction for the belt placed underneath the LOTR stand,
you should find it very helpful~ :)