Help! I want to get into Star Wars, but 1/6, Mythos or Premium format??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzInc

Super Freak
Reaction score
As the title says, I want to get into Star Wars collectibles, but don't know what product line to commit to. Can you please tell me your perspective and experiences?

My pro and con list:

1/6 scale
+lots of choice
+price
+due to price, choice and size, I could get quite a few figures
+pose-ability
-more toylike than others
-less dramatic impact
-questionable quality/realism in some pieces (medicom)
-less detail and life?

Mythos
+very dramatic
+very detailed
+different display options
+great 3d cape effects
-no real fabrics
-only 3 statues that interest me
-kenobi no longer available, so expensive
-problematic releases (chipping, Vader waiter arm wrong, orange overspray, difference from piece to piece, bent blasters, etc)
-quite large with base

Premium format
+nice dramatic size
+very detailed
+real fabrics
+decent price, compared to mythos and some iron man Hot Toys
+very lifelike (C3PO, Snowtrooper, etc)
-no pose-ability
-limited choice
-very tall

So, which would you get in to if you could start over. What would you recommend to me based on my pro and con list.
General tips and tricks

Thanks for your help!

I think that starting with the 1:6 line would be the cheapest start. With SS prices between the $100 & $200 they are way cheaper than the Mythos & PF lines.
But as one of your cons said, they are much more toy like than the statues.
So it really depends what you look for in a collection. If you are a fan of Hasbro/Kenner action figures the 1:6 line would be perfect.
And if you look for a more "museum quality" look than the PF and Mythos are more suitable. But be prepared to open your wallet for them :lol

I wouldn't distinguish between PF and Mythos the way you do. No, they are not the same, but they certainly fit into the same collection happily.

Perhaps you need to pick a 1/6 and a statue to start with and then see what you feel when you have them in hand? Perhaps you will, like many of us, have a hybrid collection?

Thanks for the first reponses.

Indeed Darth Mitchell, I am looking for "museum quality" and am afraid the 1/6 would be too much hasbro

Niceman, well, the scale difference would be an issue, because I plan to display them together and create some sort of diorama

I started off getting 1/6 and 1/4. Needless to say the 1/6 didn't make the cut. Only 1/6 Star Wars I have left is the Jabba's throne with a few figures to compliment it.

I've just put down a pre-order on SS's new ROTJ 1/6 Vader for my first Star Wars purchase. Hooking that with a Master Light House black display case to get the ball rolling.

I don't actually see how no pose-ability and very tall are negative points. And some pfs have turnable heads etc. Not such a limited choice in the pf department either. I think all the OT characters are pretty much there now and the more popular ones from whatever else are mostly available too.

I don't actually see how no pose-ability and very tall are negative points. And some pfs have turnable heads etc. Not such a limited choice in the pf department either. I think all the OT characters are pretty much there now and the more popular ones from whatever else are mostly available too.

Well, the fact that they're tall limits my display locations.

I really like pose-ability to mix things up and make me fall in love with figures again.

Finally, the most popular ones are sold out and demand a premium on ebay

I started off getting 1/6 and 1/4. Needless to say the 1/6 didn't make the cut. Only 1/6 Star Wars I have left is the Jabba's throne with a few figures to compliment it.

He he he.... I am the exact same. I had a lot of the 1/6 but sold them all except the Jabba setup (that one is still too cool to get rid of.)

I don't have any of the SW PF's but I have all 5 Mythos (as you can see in my sig :)) and those are by far my favorite Star Wars items I have. I love the fact that they are not the same old statues we see from everybody, they tell a different story of the characters and that's what makes them great. Yes, they do have their problems but they are minor compared to the just pure awesomeness of the overall statues.

Same here... started with 1/6 and ended up selling all to go with 1/4 scale...

PFs... 1/4 scale for sure. But be careful. 1/4 scale leads to 1/1 lifesize props very easily. And 1/1 lifesize leads to pure awesome ;)

It's really up to you, buddy.

Personally, I started with 1/6 figures, but then I moved on to statues once I saw Boba Fett PF. I had the idea that I wanted to get only that one. But that changed. :)

I started with 1/6. I now own 3 statues (Alien BC Maquette, Mythos Obi-Wan, and Shaak Ti.)

I'm still buying 1/6 and I am buying more statues. I am going to be incredibly selective about my statues though. I don't buy anything over $100 to keep it in a closet and I see these as purchases I'll have to live with for the next 20 years. 1/6 is my bread and butter. The statues are my masterpieces.

I've just put down a pre-order on SS's new ROTJ 1/6 Vader for my first Star Wars purchase. Hooking that with a Master Light House black display case to get the ball rolling.
great idea!

I wouldn't distinguish between PF and Mythos the way you do. No, they are not the same, but they certainly fit into the same collection happily.

Perhaps you need to pick a 1/6 and a statue to start with and then see what you feel when you have them in hand? Perhaps you will, like many of us, have a hybrid collection?
exactly, we can only explain to you so much and videos and pictures are one thing compared to actually seeing it in person.

I personally started out with Mythos. i have 1/6 and now a PF in malgus an IMO if i had to start over and could only choose one way to go i would choose Mythos. I love the detail on them and they display so great together.
with that said im a hybrid collector and always will be, 1/4/5/6 and even 1:1 soon with Yoda!

Posting this thread in the statue section might offer some biased answers. ;) I collect all types of Star Wars collectibles from figures to props, from statues to helmets, and from busts to studio scale, and each one has its own appeal. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the Premium Format line, instead of those, I'd rather save a bit more and get a 1:1 prop or helmet.

But in the end it's up to you. Go to the "Show your Shelves" section and look at the collectors' collections there. Then consider your budget, display space and dedication, and go whatever route you think it is best for you. YOU are the one who will own that collection, so make it as YOU want. Good luck. :)

Posting this thread in the statue section might offer some biased answers. ;) I collect all types of Star Wars collectibles from figures to props, from statues to helmets, and from busts to studio scale, and each one has its own appeal. To be honest I'm not a big fan of the Premium Format line, instead of those, I'd rather save a bit more and get a 1:1 prop or helmet.

But in the end it's up to you. Go to the "Show your Shelves" section and look at the collectors' collections there. Then consider your budget, display space and dedication, and go whatever route you think it is best for you. YOU are the one who will own that collection, so make it as YOU want. Good luck. :)

:goodpost:

jkno speaks the truth! :lecture

He sure does, but if you wan't to have some sort of wallet content left; don't go into his collection thread. Amazing Empire items, but at a price. :wink1:

I have decided to order two Premium format figures and see how I like them. 1/6 is too toy like for me and mythos a bit restrictive, plus for the same price, i can get mixed media

nice .. good choice I think.. what 2 are you getting ?

Back