DC Comic Help!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageHULK

Super Freak
Reaction score
I am a huge Marvel Comic fan. Very much into reading Marvel Comics.

I regret, and would love to start to get into DC comics more. I currently read the New 52 batman series. I'm going to get the New 52 Green Arrow series. I need help.

Where/what are some good Batman and Superman comics to read? (They don't have to be in the comic together, just in general)

I also just ordered the frank miller dark knight returns arc. Please help!

A few threads down there's a thread called "Best Batman Stories" with a lot of good recommendations. I'd link it but not sure how.

Let's see here:
Batman:
-Batman:Year One
-Batman:The Long Halloween
-Batman:Dark Victory
-Batman:The Killing Joke
-Batman by Neal Adams
-Batman:Earth One
-Joker
Superman:
-Superman:For All Seasons
-Superman: Secret Identity
-Superman:Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
-Superman:What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way?
-Superman:Earth One
-Luthor

I'm sure there are a lot more, but it's late and I'm tired.:lol

A few threads down there's a thread called "Best Batman Stories" with a lot of good recommendations. I'd link it but not sure how.

:exactly::lecture
Let's see here:
Batman:
-Batman:Year One
-Batman:The Long Halloween
-Batman:Dark Victory
-Batman:The Killing Joke
-Batman by Neal Adams
-Batman:Earth One
-Joker
Superman:
-Superman:For All Seasons
-Superman: Secret Identity
-Superman:Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
-Superman:What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way?
-Superman:Earth One
-Luthor

I'm sure there are a lot more, but it's late and I'm tired.:lol

Those are superb choices but I would also add:

Batman No Man's Land
Batman Under the Hood

Superman Red Son
Superman Last Son

I hope you enjoy these DC stories.

Appreciate the suggestion guys, I'll look into it. I checked out a lot of the suggestions, and I'm looking for a bigger book. Like an omnibus. A big ol hard cover that collects a good amount.

That's how I buy my marvel comics. Any suggestions?

also you can get the first two vol of green arrow on amazon for $24 if you use this code before dec 2nd
BOOKDEAL

If it's the new 52 Green Arrow I wouldn't bother, by all accounts it sucked then. Once Jeff Lemire took over it was awesome and has become one of my top titles each month, but before then apparently it was terrible.

Appreciate the suggestion guys, I'll look into it. I checked out a lot of the suggestions, and I'm looking for a bigger book. Like an omnibus. A big ol hard cover that collects a good amount.

That's how I buy my marvel comics. Any suggestions?

As far as Superman goes, if you want to start out at the beginning (I'm talking about the very, very, VERY beginning), DC put out a huge Omnibus called Superman: The Golden Age Vol. 1 that collects the first few issues of Action Comics (1938), and Superman (1939) going from the No.1s onward.

...and as for Batman, I don't know if you've ever heard of "Absolute Editions," but that sounds like what you might be looking for. They're a little pricier, and you'll need quite a bit of space, but they're big, oversized hardcovers that come with a lot of extras, collect all of the issues of a certain storyline (or, in some cases, series), and feature a big, sturdy slipcover. They're probably the best way to enjoy the illustrations in a lot of the books, as the oversized pages mean more art per square inch.:lol

Anyway, regarding Absolute Editions, among the titles I listed earlier on, there are Absolute Editions for the following:
-The Long Halloween
-Dark Victory
-Joker/Luthor

Last edited:
Just to add to what batfan said, if you wanted to start with those old late 30's early 40's stories, there's also The Batman Archives and The Dark Knight Archives, various volumes collecting the original issues.

I believe there's also ones for Superman and Action Comics.

I'd hold off on those Archives, personally, as I'm really hoping they follow suit to the "Golden Age" Superman Omnibus with a Batman one. They're doing the Justice League of America Silver Age stuff next, it seems, so, here's hoping.:pray:

Sweet. Thanks guys. Ordered the absolute dark knight HC and the Absolute:Hush HC.

Think I'm also going to get the all star superman HC...

Any more suggestions? Possibly more modern?

Sweet. Thanks guys. Ordered the absolute dark knight HC and the Absolute:Hush HC.

Think I'm also going to get the all star superman HC...

Any more suggestions? Possibly more modern?

I don't know how I forgot All-Star Superman. I knew there was something missing, but I should smack myself in the face for forgetting to list that one (as it's one of my favorite Superman stories).:lol

I'd hold off on those Archives, personally, as I'm really hoping they follow suit to the "Golden Age" Superman Omnibus with a Batman one. They're doing the Justice League of America Silver Age stuff next, it seems, so, here's hoping.:pray:

That'd be awesome. I never actually picked up any of the archives but always intended to, as I love those really early stories, that kind of gothic pulp feel. Plus I love that early Batsuit design, so was super glad it turned up in Arkham Origins.

A nice big omnibus like the superman would be pretty awesome though. :rock

That it would, if DC would ****ing make one, already. To date, of all of the Omnibi they've done, not a single one has been Batman. Which sucks because there are a bunch of great options that are just waiting to be brought to the format. Just to start off, an aforementioned Golden Age HC would be nice, but if love to see the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil stuff get an Omnibus or two, and, frankly, I'd die for a Gotham Central omnibus.:drool

Man, a Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams omnibus would be incredible. I'd also be down for an Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle omnibus, I've got a bunch of issues from back then and really loved them, they portrayed a Gotham that really felt like Gotham to me. If that makes sense at all. :lol

I've actually still yet to read Gotham Central, I keep meaning to pick up the first trade and work my way through but there's always something else I wanna get first. The whole concept sounds great though.

That's part of the reason I want an omnibus so damn bad. I've only got the first volume[of Gotham Central] in trade format, and the fourth volume in Hardcover format (which I got for like $10 from a Bookstore that was going out of business), so, on top of not being uniform, I've got a two volume gap. I'd love nothing more than to have a massive chunk of Omnibus to tackle in one sitting.:lol

That's part of the reason I want an omnibus so damn bad. I've only got the first volume[of Gotham Central] in trade format, and the fourth volume in Hardcover format (which I got for like $10 from a Bookstore that was going out of business), so, on top of not being uniform, I've got a two volume gap. I'd love nothing more than to have a massive chunk of Omnibus to tackle in one sitting.:lol

Haha, having one hardcover and one softcover would bug the hell out of me. I started reading Aquaman recently and picked up the trades but the first volume hardcover is going for crazy prices so I got the softcover and then volume 2 in hardcover. Annoys the hell out of me. Haha.

But yeah, it would be a great way to just get the lot all in one go. Then just sitting down and reading through the lot in one massive session. Haha. I bet that'd be quite the experience.

Doesn't it? DC needs to say "**** it" and collect every Superman and Batman story ever written in Omnibus format. That'd be something else.:lol

Haha, I wouldn't like to think how much that'd end up costing by the time you had the lot. But it would totally be worth it, just as a collection.

Back