How do you paint face "speckling" ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerh

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi All -

I see in a lot of custom paint applications that the faces have the base flesh tone, and slight, fine "speckling."

I "Thought" this was done by watering down paint on a stiff bristled brush, and running your thumb over the hairs causing the paint to "splatter" on the face (Im having a hard time describing the technique)

But when I do that, I get big splotches and sometimes they even hit and run a bit so it looks like a meteor with a trail behind it...

Is this an airbrush trick??? I would really like to improve my face painting (I just started using pastels which I am loving) and I think this would help tremendously.

Thank you in advance,

Tyler

I'm pretty sure Skiman uses pastels.
I use my airbrush with the lowest pressure it will still shoot and hold it back a good distance.

I think this is called stippling and can be done with a very dry brush with fine bristles.

If not using an airbrush, cut down a bristle brush to do stippling or spatter. Also using the airbrush medium to thin the paints will maintain the consistency of the acrylic so it is not so splotchy.

I have never thinned acrylics with anything other than water - I know thats "rookie" but I need to get some real thinner.. Thank you

Back