PDA

View Full Version : What Are Custom Figures??

frankie086
11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Hey :wave I am new to collecting figures busts ect, I have only just found out about custom work & seen some great pieces but i just wanted some help with understanding what goes on. Do you buy heads, clothes hands ect from people on forum and then put them on a plain action figure yourself. I ask this as I'm interested in few figures such as dexter,pennywise, beetlejuice

karamazov80
11-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Some will pay others to put figures together for them. Some will pay others for full, already put together figures. Some will put their own figures together using existing parts.

elar
11-13-2013, 04:02 PM
And some make all parts (without body, almost everybody buying bodies) by himself. Clothes, heads, accessories,...

robbiethepainter
11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Beware that the custom market can get really expensive. Getting a customizer to build a single figure for you can make the price even higher. Distributing the cost over several buyers is how most make the figures affordable.
Of course there are exceptions but being new, I didnt want you to have massive shock when contacting some of the customizers here.

Godfather1408
11-14-2013, 02:17 AM
Beware that the custom market can get really expensive. Getting a customizer to build a single figure for you can make the price even higher. Distributing the cost over several buyers is how most make the figures affordable.
Of course there are exceptions but being new, I didnt want you to have massive shock when contacting some of the customizers here.

Agreed I've spent well over £3,000 this year on custom pieces :/

You have to take into account if you are buying pieces for example a head sculpt that could cost £50 plus shipping then you have to find a painter which is anywhere around £50-90. Full figures are normally limited runs for example The grinch by mg2065 was a limited run....... these will cost more than your average figure which makes sense as they aren't mass produced.

Hope that helps :)

Hidden Jitsu
11-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Like everyone has said be prepared to part with lots of cash.
Depending on the figures you want some can be made very easily and for under £100.00 in most cases but if you want limited run figure totally one of custom made then your looking at around $600.00 and over depending on who makes it.

Start off slow and make something simple I would always suggest head sculpt is key.
You can always have clothes that are not 100% accurate as long as the head is spot on.
For instance a Daniel Craig bond can just be put in a black suit with a bbkill head sculpt would look great.
And do research on bodies as I did not and went though the hassle of buying loads of bodies until the right one fitted.
But don't let it overwhelm you as since I have been into 1/6 stuff I have spent thousands on bodies , heads and clothe and weapons and am yet to complete a full custom figure.
Just do one at a time.

Like the figures you have mentioned you can't just buy the clothes they need to be made especially , so the pennywise suit, and beetle juice , also you need a henleys top for dexter.

georgieboy26
11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
i'm a fellow manc frankie, and have made lots of customs, give me a pm if theres something specific that you need

Rdeezy
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Frankie also check out the show your shelves section of the customs sections.
Here's Ajk Hunters thread for example

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122349

Also check out Shortround, Marfmaster collections. Some of the best on this entire board.