Sideshow brown shipper protects enough?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STX_1

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello,

I am total new in the Sideshow statue hobby (but I have been collecting HT Iron Man figures for some time), but wonder how well the Sideshow brown shipper protect the artbox and the content?

My last (and so far only) purchase is Iron Man Maquette and the seller double box it and also filled the space between the sideshow brown shipper and the addtional brown shipper with many big airbags.

Now, I am about to finalize an agreement and purchase of Optimus Maquette, but the seller can only send it with Sideshow brown shipper.

What are your opinions and experiences of just sideshow brown shipper deliveries??

Many thanks in advance for all comments and inputs! Thanks!

Hello,

I am total new in the Sideshow statue hobby (but I have been collecting HT Iron Man figures for some time), but wonder how well the Sideshow brown shipper protect the artbox and the content?

My last (and so far only) purchase is Iron Man Maquette and the seller double box it and also filled the space between the sideshow brown shipper and the addtional brown shipper with many big airbags.

Now, I am about to finalize an agreement and purchase of Optimus Maquette, but the seller can only send it with Sideshow brown shipper.

What are your opinions and experiences of just sideshow brown shipper deliveries??

Many thanks in advance for all comments and inputs! Thanks!

My experience is domestic only. But it is usually fine. If the seller refuses to give you the padding you request (and offer to pay for?) then they must assume responsibility if something goes wrong.

My experience is domestic only. But it is usually fine. If the seller refuses to give you the padding you request (and offer to pay for?) then they must assume responsibility if something goes wrong.

Thank for your feedback! I said I will pay any additional costs, but he says he is short of time due to work ... plus the fact that the insurance only covers 60% of total amount I have to pay for the statue. That is why I am pushing him to really pack everything as perfect as possible.

Thank for your feedback! I said I will pay any additional costs, but he says he is short of time due to work ... plus the fact that the insurance only covers 60% of total amount I have to pay for the statue. That is why I am pushing him to really pack everything as perfect as possible.

He doesn't have 5 minutes to take care of this? Buyer beware....

60% chance of something being broken if it was mailed to me with just the shipper from Sideshow in CA

advise:

Figure out what you have to pay to ship it back with signature confirmation before you buy it in case you have to.

pay with credit card (paypal with credit card)

I think it is less about the box and more about what is packed and how...and how it gets handled during transport.

I bought a General Greivous not too long ago. Seller, put extra care into packing. He still came with very minor breakage. Easily fixed, but he was known for being a delicate one.

The sideshow shipper used to be way bigger than the artbox and have air gaps and Styrofoam in between. You had better chances back then I think.

Now you usually get the skin tight shipper boxes... they can't help as much as the older way

Thank Niceman, Vitus, PermaG and DaveMac for your comments and inputs. I will have to think twice before sealing the deal. The problem or issue is that they seller doesn't accept return .. so I don't know if Pay Pal will do any good ...

My main concern is as Vitus wrote the air gaps between the artbox and the Sideshow brown shipper.

I will have to push the seller then ... at the same time, I really do want that Optimus statue ...

I am the one who is selling the statue. I don't want to start an argument here or something, I just want to clear some things up

Yesterday I packaged everything up, I have sent alot of pics of the statue in its current state, I have sent alot of pics of the packaging. All the original packaging is available. So original brown shipper(as Vitus said, the box is bigger than the art box and in the corners there is styrofoam), original art box and orginal styro. I have put all the different pieces of in plastic bags which I taped to the styro and so trying to prevent moving as much as possible.
On top of this I bubblewrapped the brown shipper. I have sent pics of all of this to STX_1. It took me one hour to package everything up.

I have sent close to 25 pics of the statue, packaging, boxes... I have given STX_1 all my personal details, answered all his questions in detail... What can I do more:dunno

This was just to clear a few things up, not to start a discussion of any kind

Last edited:
The problem or issue is that they seller doesn't accept return .. so I don't know if Pay Pal will do any good ...

Not accepting returns is reasonable, as there are as many scamming buyers as there are sellers. Stories of buyers swaping out their broken pieces and return to seller are a deterrent to offering returns, to me at least.

Perhaps if CEETEE had an eBay feedback score to offer. Or you can offer to pay for full value insurance. Sounds like this deal should get done. Optimus is a sought after piece and at some point you have to take a leap of faith... we all have in this hobby.

Thank for all feedbacks and comments. I have to clarified a few things.

1) CEETEE has been very professional from day 1. The information provided is beyond excellent. So I didn't started this thread because of thoughts that CEETEE is a "liar".

2) It is always easier to request than provide thick and strong boxes. Especially when dealing with something as big as Optimus statue

3) I started this thread because a third party is involved (= different postage companies) and they are not always very nice and kind in the shipping process. I wanted to know other members experiences and "lesson learnt" and from that make an agreement with CEETEE about the packaging process

5) So all this to clarify that CEETEE has until now been very clear in his information. It has always been me wondering if the protecting material (many layers with bubble wraps) is strong enough to protect the item during the rough and tough shipping process

6) Skillet, yes, I am 100% agreeing with you that the Optimus is sought after piece and faith is part of this hobby (but one can minimize it by being pro-active and that was my whole idea with this thread, and not saying someone is a liar. I was only concerned about the handling by the postage companies). And for sure we will complete the deal. I always stick to my words and I have said and confirmed to CEETEE that I will buy the statue.

7) By the way, CEETEE and I have made an agreement to increase the protection

I don't think they protect that much considering my new mass effect statue and the corners were smashed , also the fact that the statues have sideshow written all over it and what is inside is pretty bad too.

No need for apologies from STX_1. As I said before, I just wanted to clarify a few things and I didn't have the feeling that he was attacking me in this thread.

I can u totally understand his point of view when you have to pay a big sum to someone you don't know.

Everything is cleared out and I will do my very best to put some extra protection around the box. I would be as much disappointed as he is when something would break during shipping. In the end we are all in this hobby for the sheer enjoyment over these statues. And I just want that he gets the statue without problems on his doorstep so that he can enjoy it also.

The time that the statue has been for sale I had a few timewasters but STX_1 kept his word, so no complaints from my side.

All that's left now is to post the in-hand pics when you get it... The pressure is ON!!! :hi5:

Yeah, don't know why they still print SSC on the box, and not only that, what the content is "Hulk vs Spiderman Diorama w/ Lights". Even if an evildoer doesn't know SSC that description has got to pique some interest.

One good thing that I have noticed, that most of the (all that I have come across so far) sellers are aware of such concerns and take time and care to make sure the package ships securely.

As much as you want to enjoy a piece, they want you to enjoy it like they did.
Only exception, are those "store" sellers, that are "still in the original packaging". This "might" just be someone with a stock a stuff and just getting rid of it. So they just send out as is.

Also, since it seems the seller is someone from these boards and depending on the description you are agreeing to, I personally would not have any worries.

I've sent PF's across the country in just the original boxes and have not had a problem. Sometimes they are too big to double box.

One good thing that I have noticed, that most of the (all that I have come across so far) sellers are aware of such concerns and take time and care to make sure the package ships securely.

As much as you want to enjoy a piece, they want you to enjoy it like they did.
Only exception, are those "store" sellers, that are "still in the original packaging". This "might" just be someone with a stock a stuff and just getting rid of it. So they just send out as is.

Also, since it seems the seller is someone from these boards and depending on the description you are agreeing to, I personally would not have any worries.
That's exactly what I am thinking. For me it's not only important that I get the money on my account but for me it's also important that STX_1 gets the statue without any problems. I want that he can enjoy it without any problems...

I will be as nervous as him in which condition Optimus Prime will arrive at his doorstep...

Not accepting returns is the biggest joke. If it is broken If the buyer complains within reasonable time there is nothing you can do.
If you don't accept the return you could be out of your item and the money when the credit card dispute comes through.

Anyway I think Sideshow knows the old way was better than the skin tight shipper box.
I had to wait like 8 months for a replacement from sideshow (they had to make more) for the replacement Elder Predator statue.
The new one I got came with a different style shipper box than the original.
It didn't have the skin tight shipper like the original batch, it had the oversized shipper box with the Styrofoam corners.
The name of the statue was printed on the outside as usual (bad bad)

Last edited:
Back