Checking in from Aspen, CO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BravoGolf

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Stumbled across this site while looking for info on imperial speeder bikes. I have a project in mind for a 1/6th with scout trooper.

Lots of great info here, looking forward to hanging around.

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: Show, BravoGolf! :duff
icon_snoopy.gif
wavesmile.gif

welcome! is it difficult to make a living year round in aspen? always pictured ski towns to be ghost towns in the summer.

welcome! is it difficult to make a living year round in aspen? always pictured ski towns to be ghost towns in the summer.

Thanks guys!

It depends. A lot of ski towns are like that. Aspen is a rather unique situation though.

Most people (worker bee class) have multiple jobs year round. I know very few people with just one job. LOL

Summer is actually quite busy here as the weather is nearly perfect here every day with mild temps and lack of humidity found elsewhere.

Thanks guys!

It depends. A lot of ski towns are like that. Aspen is a rather unique situation though.

Most people (worker bee class) have multiple jobs year round. I know very few people with just one job. LOL

Summer is actually quite busy here as the weather is nearly perfect here every day with mild temps and lack of humidity found elsewhere.

i notice Breckenridge has occupancy problems and wondered if it was like that is aspen. lived in Colorado springs in the 90s and i intend to go back and live there some day. :hi5:

I'll tell ya where. Some place warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' about a little place called Aspen!

:welcome1:

I'll tell ya where. Some place warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' about a little place called Aspen!

:welcome1:

i think that would be swallows. i visited Mission Capistrano in california when the swallows returned. it was momentous.

Mission_San_Juan_Capistrano.jpg

The Return of the Swallows

The American Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) is a migratory bird that spends its winters in Goya, Argentina but makes the 6,000-mile (10,000 km) trek north to the warmer climes of the American Southwest in springtime. According to legend, the birds, who have visited the San Juan Capistrano area every summer for centuries, first took refuge at the Mission when an irate innkeeper began destroying their mud nests (the birds also frequent the Mission San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo).[119] The Mission's location near two rivers made it an ideal location for the swallows to nest, as there was a constant supply of the insects on which they feed, and the young birds are well-protected inside the ruins of the old stone church.

A 1915 article in Overland Monthly magazine made note of the birds' annual habit of nesting beneath the Mission's eaves and archways from Spring through Fall, and made the swallows the "signature icon" of the Mission; Father O'Sullivan utilized interest in the phenomenon to generate public interest in restoration efforts during his two decades in residence.[120] One of bell ringer Acú's most colorful tales was that the swallows (or las golondrinas, as he called them) flew over the Atlantic Ocean to Jerusalem each winter, carrying small twigs on which they could rest atop the water along the way. On March 13, 1939, a popular radio program was broadcast live from the Mission grounds, announcing the swallows' arrival. Composer Leon René was so inspired by the event that he penned the song "When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano" in tribute.[97] During its initial release the song spent several weeks atop the Your Hit Parade charts. The song has been recorded by such musicians as The Ink Spots, Fred Waring, Guy Lombardo, Glenn Miller,The Five Satins and Pat Boone. A glassed-off room in the Mission has been designated in René's honor and displays the upright piano on which he composed the tune, the reception desk from his office and several copies of the song's sheet music and other pieces of furniture, all donated by René's family.

Each year the Fiesta de las Golondrinas is held in the City of San Juan Capistrano. Presented by the San Juan Capistrano Fiesta Association, the Fiesta de las Golondrinas is a week-long celebration of this auspicious event culminated by the Swallows Day Parade and Mercado, street fair.[121] Tradition has it that the main flock arrives on March 19 (Saint Joseph's Day), and flies south on Saint John's Day, October 23.

When the swallows come back to Capistrano
That's the day you promised to come back to me
When you whispered, "Farewell," in Capistrano
'twas the day the swallows flew out to sea
—excerpt from "When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano" by Leon René

In recent years, the swallows have failed to return in large flocks to the Mission.[122] Few birds were counted in the 1990s and 2000s. The reduction has been connected to increased development of the area, including many more choices of nesting place and fewer insects to eat.

to think i saw their return in force in the 70s. now basically gone.

Back