Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyMeis

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone, feel free to share your modify ideas here. It's a great figure, but I'm sure there are still tons of things we can make it better :1-1:

here is the fist mod comparison
- the upper straps has been cut out, and thinner
- allow the straps to sit loose on top of the fist
- shorter appearance to be more movie accurate from the Movie "The Dark Knight"
- also can be install into the gauntlet as shown from the movie "Dark Knight Rises
- since the Straps is now a separated piece, it allow the movement of the fist much freely

Stock versus mod

Height adjustment
- HT Dark Knight is a bit short compare to the EB Batman, the extension can allow both figure to be at the same height. Now they both finally looks great standing next to each other
- simple bracket being installed into the ankle section to add the height improvement
- still remain strong standing position
- does not effect the articulation of the ankle
- allow a nice gap between knee pad away from the boots
- can be removed very easily for those who don't care about the height difference

Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight next to Enterbay 1/4 Batman figure

Current Modification
- paint matte black around the Eye lid
- custom cape to create the curve from the neck to shoulder
- modify the cape insert hole to be more movie accurate, also allow the cape to install with better direction
- custom straps from the fist
- height adjustment

So for the fist mod. You cut the strap part off. Then slide that cut portion over the bottom of the fist? Correct?

Hi Tony, creating such a thread following Maglor's model for the DX12 is a great idea.
I like what you did so far with one exception, I find the lower leg now looks too long, this is accentuated by the position of the knee pad on the figure.
I also think you should follow Maglor's model more closely and post detail pictures of the modifications while in progress, not just the results.
This will get more people interested in the process.

I have decided not to keep this figure, but I still wanted to share my thoughts.

Hopefully something in this video will be useful to somebody. Here are the contents:
Cape installation - :30
Shoulder shimming (shortening the neck and giving the traps a slope) - 2:53
Ab straps futzing - 4:30
Straightening the pants (getting the knee pads over the knees) - 6:08
Boot removal - 6:36
Ankle/boot extension (added height to display with Enterbay) - 7:03
Abdominal shape rant - 8:22
Proposed fix for belly - 10:25
How to remove the upper armor and suit - 10:55
Head-to-shoulder-ratio rant - 12:06
Proposed fix for shoulder width - 13:15

[ame]https://youtu.be/5JPDBczlx-c[/ame]

Hi Tony, creating such a thread following Maglor's model for the DX12 is a great idea.
I like what you did so far with one exception, I find the lower leg now looks too long, this is accentuated by the position of the knee pad on the figure.
I also think you should follow Maglor's model more closely and post detail pictures of the modifications while in progress, not just the results.
This will get more people interested in the process.

My purpose isn't to show everything but to haver everyone share theirs experience and tips. Besides, I know Maglor will :)

I have decided not to keep this figure, but I still wanted to share my thoughts.

Hopefully something in this video will be useful to somebody. Here are the contents:
Cape installation - :30
Shoulder shimming (shortening the neck and giving the traps a slope) - 2:53
Ab straps futzing - 4:30
Straightening the pants (getting the knee pads over the knees) - 6:08
Boot removal - 6:36
Ankle/boot extension (added height to display with Enterbay) - 7:03
Abdominal shape rant - 8:22
Proposed fix for belly - 10:25
How to remove the upper armor and suit - 10:55
Head-to-shoulder-ratio rant - 12:06
Proposed fix for shoulder width - 13:15

https://youtu.be/5JPDBczlx-c

Great mods as always :clap:clap:clap Thank you Maglor

Super helpful :yess::yess:

Looks like the straps are are cut off. He then cuts off a fair amount of the glove itself. For a TDK look, he just pushes pushes the wrist peg through the straps, and they are just held in place by the glove. For a TDKR look, you just put on the gloves without the little strap rings.

Quite ingenious actually.

I like the way he has the cuts tapered so the glove fits inside of the straps part.

Last edited:
My purpose isn't to show everything but to haver everyone share theirs experience and tips. Besides, I know Maglor will :)

Probably smart. Making that thread was a big headache. Trying to address every mod on page one is a lot of work, and not something I would likely do again.

Last edited:
Probably smart. Making that thread was a big headache. Trying to address every mod on page one is a lot of work, nod not something I would likely do again.

LOL, I know how you feel, rather have everyone put in their thoughts and share their technique than just explain everything. My ideas and ways of modification isn't gonna be the best way. I'm sure there are other people who have other mods ideas better. lets all share our method together and not just depends on one person. This thread is meant to have lots of fun and learn from each other :wink1:

Okay here's my first post and I'm doing all of this with my phone so I hope it looks ok. Long time lurker from sunny Los Angeles- hope ya like. I've had this figure five hours and had to go in hard- some things were bugging me, and everything I did is completely reversible.

Fat suit had to go- just separate the glue from one side of the under arm strap so you can slide the shoulder pads off.

There are two zippers on the back, so unzip and slowly pull his undersuit off. It helps to give him a glass of wine and light some candles first to ease the tension. ..

Now with the fat suit removed, futzing is a breeze. There are also three pieces of padded foam that I removed, one on his belly and one on each inner thigh. Those had to go, but keep them in case you want to return back to stock.

Here's some pics- (taken with my phone)

No more bloated belly!

So when you do this, (and I know you will you crazy sonsabiches)- the utility belt will fit a bit looser since Bruce went on the Zoen diet- (carbs are the enemy) - SO, take one of the foam inner thigh pieces and slip it between the belt and his back. Presto chango! Now your 18 inches of awesomeness looks and moves ten million times better! Cheers broskies!

-Patrick

Oh by the way, I took the foam padded piece from his belly and stuck it right to his lower back under the suit to pull everything in tighter, as well as wedging one of the foam thigh pieces in between the belt and his back, outside of the suit of course. I think it really does help to get down to the bare true type just to actually see the joints and get a better understanding as to how you can pose and move this guy. I'm going to super glue small strips of velcro to the armpit strap on the shoulder pads for easy access, then glove mods, new cape, (it is kinds crappy) and who knows what else?

Also, to everyone saying that the kneepads are off to the sides and want to straighten them out, I really think they are supposed to be slightly facing out, just like the knee puck sliders on any motorcycle racing leathers- I have full leathers for riding and doing track days, and if the pucks were right on my kneecaps, it would hinder my movement and be hella uncomfortable. The costume designers knew he would be riding the bat pod, and used motorcycle racing elements as inspiration to the design and development, so keep that in mind-

Kinda like this...

Rawk on kids!

Last edited:
Damn. Now I have to rethink selling him again.

I will be reading those posts carefully...

Seriously, thanks for posting xpnugget.

And welcome. :duff

Regarding the knee pads, although they may be designed to be angled out a bit, they are clearly too far on the side at first.

Okay here's my first post and I'm doing all of this with my phone so I hope it looks ok. Long time lurker from sunny Los Angeles- hope ya like. I've had this figure five hours and had to go in hard- some things were bugging me, and everything I did is completely reversible.

Fat suit had to go- just separate the glue from one side of the under arm strap so you can slide the shoulder pads off.

There are two zippers on the back, so unzip and slowly pull his undersuit off. It helps to give him a glass of wine and light some candles first to ease the tension. ..

Now with the fat suit removed, futzing is a breeze. There are also three pieces of padded foam that I removed, one on his belly and one on each inner thigh. Those had to go, but keep them in case you want to return back to stock.

Here's some pics- (taken with my phone)

No more bloated belly!

So when you do this, (and I know you will you crazy sonsabiches)- the utility belt will fit a bit looser since Bruce went on the Zoen diet- (carbs are the enemy) - SO, take one of the foam inner thigh pieces and slip it between the belt and his back. Presto chango! Now your 18 inches of awesomeness looks and moves ten million times better! Cheers broskies!

-Patrick

Looks great! I have also notice his arms/shoulders are able to sit lower to hug the body more. I like it, thumbs up!

Thanks guys- you are right, the shoulder pads hug the shoulders much closer, they are pretty much resting right on the plastic. I didn't heat anything up or glue anything, and when you see the truetype, you know how far down you can pull the arm to make the 'traps' look accentuated, a much more human look to my eyeballs.:yess:

Thanks guys- you are right, the shoulder pads hug the shoulders much closer, they are pretty much resting right on the plastic. I didn't heat anything up or glue anything, and when you see the truetype, you know how far down you can pull the arm to make the 'traps' look accentuated, a much more human look to my eyeballs.:yess:

I like that, also made the should looks a bit more narrow and now the size of the head doesn't look as small any more. Great mod, I like it :clap

Want to see more pictures of it :)

Back