I need help with beginning to paint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostlord

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to start painting but I have no idea where to begin.
I've never really had any previous experience so Im looking for any advice to get me started.

Also are there any YouTube videos that anyone can suggest that might help?

Thanks

I would say before anything you need to learn how to clean up seem lines and fill holes on the sculpt.
Then you need to know what type of paints to use , if you are brush painting or airbrushing first and foremost.

So brush painting you want Vallejo acrylic and use only acrylic not enamel or oils.
Also games workshop paints are good to , but for value for money you want tubed artist acrylic paints either liquitex or golden acrylics.
Also thin them with acrylic paint thinner as water actually dilutes the colour.
These need to be very thin to brush paint and don't try it in one application you need lots of thin coats.
You need a variety of brushes from round to flat to tiny.

But there are so many ways to do this it can be mind boggling.
Also the better quality the paint the better the colour as they use natural pigment , so if you go and buy liquitex black and white will be cheaper are some of the other colours require more pigment so more expensive.
Also I would not expect any change from £100.00/$160.00 as you need at least all the primary colours and if your on a budget I would suggest cheaper paints over cheapo brushes , you can spend at least £50.00 on a good brush set but if looked after can last you years.

You need surface primer and flat sealer to protect your work.
Also a dremel multi tool if you plan on doing a lot off modding and what not.

Thanks so much for all the info, there really is a lot to take in.
I will go out and buy some paints tomorrow and get started.
But I was just wondering how do I fill in seam lines and holes in te sculpt?

Good advice there:lecture

I've been using cheap paints and not priming and throwing paint on sculpts and the results ain't great.
Been painting up that gb ray, you sold me and its really easy to paint as you put the primer and base coats on;)
You live and learn;)

Good advice there:lecture

I've been using cheap paints and not priming and throwing paint on sculpts and the results ain't great.
Been painting up that gb ray, you sold me and its really easy to paint as you put the primer and base coats on;)
You live and learn;)

Yeah primer is key buddy as it makes the paint stick , also for skin I prefer beige sand colour as grey makes skin look dead.

Right I will give you a list of what you need and the what to do.

A. Hobby knife
B. various grades of wet & dry sand paper
C. Putty , milliput , squadron putty or aves apposite sculpt
D. Surface primer , grey and or a sandy beige colour
E. Brushes I actually use sable but synthetic are ok too
a flat brush for large areas like the whole head , round brush for eyebrows and what not and a 00000 brush for eyes.
F. Your paint. , tubed acrylics or pot acrylics
G. A sealer , in UK I find humbrol matte the best as testors dullcote can't be bought anymore in uk apparently the mr hobby stuff is very good.
These are aerosol versions , but the brush on Vallejo stuff is very good.
H. Small things like mixing palette super glue and 2 part apposite

So here is a list if what you need to do

A. You head could be a flawless cast which is very rare , but if you find seem lines and small holes the can be tackled very easily.
So remove the seem lines with the BACK of the blade on the craft knife.
Then smooth with wet & dry and only ever use it wet 400 grit should be fine.
Then either use squadron green or white putty for very shallow or pin holes.
If something like the nose tip is missing use aves apoxie sculpt ( amazing stuff) or milliput mix the 2 parts together fill the hole the best you can.
Let it dry over night and then shape with wet & dry.
B. wash your head with a tooth brush and washing up liquid , rinse all the soap off and let dry on its own.
Do not use towels just naturally dry on the top of a radiator.
Then get your primer and spray the head with a few light Coates and let dry for at least 24 hours frustrating I know.
Also I may add to handle the head the least you can with your bare hands so use powder free latex gloves also put the head on a stick and hold the stick.
C. Yet your paints ready and start mixing them the way you find easiest.
If your using tubed acrylic paints then on a mixing palette either mix your paints together using an old brush and then thin down with acrylic medium as water tends to dilute the colour or you can use dionised water that they use for car battery's.
I would say thin like skimmed milk , and apply with the large flat brush with even brush strokes and do not over work the area.
Let it dry or use a hair dryer to speed things up.
Also make sure your brush is wet before painting.
And take your time and do not rush and you will need to add upto 4/5 coats of paint to get a good even coverage.
Let it all dry and seal your work with laquer.
Then add shading and highlights sealing your work after you add paint each time.
Do not try and speed up the laquer drying with a hair dryer as it will go satin.

Hope the all helps just paint and try to enjoy it.

Good luck

Jay

Right I will give you a list of what you need and the what to do.

A. Hobby knife
B. various grades of wet & dry sand paper
C. Putty , milliput , squadron putty or aves apposite sculpt
D. Surface primer , grey and or a sandy beige colour
E. Brushes I actually use sable but synthetic are ok too
a flat brush for large areas like the whole head , round brush for eyebrows and what not and a 00000 brush for eyes.
F. Your paint. , tubed acrylics or pot acrylics
G. A sealer , in UK I find humbrol matte the best as testors dullcote can't be bought anymore in uk apparently the mr hobby stuff is very good.
These are aerosol versions , but the brush on Vallejo stuff is very good.
H. Small things like mixing palette super glue and 2 part apposite

So here is a list if what you need to do

A. You head could be a flawless cast which is very rare , but if you find seem lines and small holes the can be tackled very easily.
So remove the seem lines with the BACK of the blade on the craft knife.
Then smooth with wet & dry and only ever use it wet 400 grit should be fine.
Then either use squadron green or white putty for very shallow or pin holes.
If something like the nose tip is missing use aves apoxie sculpt ( amazing stuff) or milliput mix the 2 parts together fill the hole the best you can.
Let it dry over night and then shape with wet & dry.
B. wash your head with a tooth brush and washing up liquid , rinse all the soap off and let dry on its own.
Do not use towels just naturally dry on the top of a radiator.
Then get your primer and spray the head with a few light Coates and let dry for at least 24 hours frustrating I know.
Also I may add to handle the head the least you can with your bare hands so use powder free latex gloves also put the head on a stick and hold the stick.
C. Yet your paints ready and start mixing them the way you find easiest.
If your using tubed acrylic paints then on a mixing palette either mix your paints together using an old brush and then thin down with acrylic medium as water tends to dilute the colour or you can use dionised water that they use for car battery's.
I would say thin like skimmed milk , and apply with the large flat brush with even brush strokes and do not over work the area.
Let it dry or use a hair dryer to speed things up.
Also make sure your brush is wet before painting.
And take your time and do not rush and you will need to add upto 4/5 coats of paint to get a good even coverage.
Let it all dry and seal your work with laquer.
Then add shading and highlights sealing your work after you add paint each time.
Do not try and speed up the laquer drying with a hair dryer as it will go satin.

Hope the all helps just paint and try to enjoy it.

Good luck

Jay

Thanks again Jay for the very detailed instructions. I'll have to write a list of all the items you mentioned and visit the local hobby shop tomorrow,
Thanks again mate :hi5:

Good Info There Jay. And might I add keep the paint up simple at first and when you get better you can get more in-depth with the hair&The skin and such. Hay Jay where do you get the sandy color Surface primer?

Good Info There Jay. And might I add keep the paint up simple at first and when you get better you can get more in-depth with the hair&The skin and such. Hay Jay where do you get the sandy color Surface primer?

Liquitex do one buddy called sandy beige and is perfect for a skin undercoat.
Also Krylon do one also buddy.

Sorry to open the thread again :) I'm starting to paint to but will be battle damaging already painted heads. Will I still need to use a sealer and things? Thanks

Jay could you Please post a pic of the Liquitex sandy beige color Surface primer so I know what to look for thanks. :wave

Back