PDA

View Full Version : Best Batman Stories

mistermadhouse
10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Thought I'd create a thread dedicated to discussing our favorite Batman comics and graphic novels. Now I'm sure we all love titles like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and The Long Halloween, but I'm interested in finding some gems that perhaps are more obscure.

I just finished reading 'Batman and the Monster Men' and 'Batman and the Mad Monk'.
Monster Men is okay if you like Hugo Strange but the sequel Mad Monk is really great, especially the art.

Also reading The Black Mirror but it's hard to get into **** Grayson as Batman. Just my opinion though. Snyder can still write Batman like no other!

JefftheCollector
10-01-2013, 06:43 PM
I just finished reading Batman Year 100....it's a great read and I recommend it.

Russell1982
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
I love both Mad Monk and Monster Men. Really great reads and fairly different to what is normally done in modern(ish) Batman stories. I loved Black Mirror though, it was a great story and Grayson was brilliant as Batman. Damian and Grayson made a great pair.

One of my favourites is Nine Lives. A Elseworlds story but a really great and underrated one.

JefftheCollector
10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Thought I'd create a thread dedicated to discussing our favorite Batman comics and graphic novels. Now I'm sure we all love titles like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, and The Long Halloween, but I'm interested in finding some gems that perhaps are more obscure.

I just finished reading 'Batman and the Monster Men' and 'Batman and the Mad Monk'.
Monster Men is okay if you like Hugo Strange but the sequel Mad Monk is really great, especially the art.

Also reading The Black Mirror but it's hard to get into **** Grayson as Batman. Just my opinion though. Snyder can still write Batman like no other!

I love both Mad Monk and Monster Men. Really great reads and fairly different to what is normally done in modern(ish) Batman stories. I loved Black Mirror though, it was a great story and Grayson was brilliant as Batman. Damian and Grayson made a great pair.

One of my favourites is Nine Lives. A Elseworlds story but a really great and underrated one.

:goodpost::goodpost:

Hmmmm never read Mad Monk or Monster Men....looks like i'm adding some trades to the pull list. Thanks for the info guys :hi5:

prettyscary
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I really enjoyed Gotham After Midnight when it came out a few years ago. Love Snyder's Court Of Owls.

jpsarri
10-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I really enjoyed Gotham After Midnight when it came out a few years ago. Love Snyder's Court Of Owls.

Love Court of Owls too.:hi5:

Tornadoflame
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Agreed about Court of Owls

mistermadhouse
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Speaking of Court of Owls, just picked this up today!

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/gn-covers/2013/04/BM_COW-Book_Mask_kj14yct30p_.jpg

JefftheCollector
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/gn-covers/2013/04/BM_COW-Book_Mask_kj14yct30p_.jpg

:clap:clap:clap

Nice pick up.....Court of Owls was a great run.

Sweet Rabbit
10-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Bruce Wayne: Murderer, Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and Cataclysm

krec9
10-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Batman: the long Halloween.great read.

mistermadhouse
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Yes The Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story as well. Especially love Tim Sale's design of Catwoman.

Russell1982
10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
:goodpost::goodpost:

Hmmmm never read Mad Monk or Monster Men....looks like i'm adding some trades to the pull list. Thanks for the info guys :hi5:

No problem :hi5: they're not groundbreaking classics like year one and TDKR but they're good little gothic mysteries. They're actually remakes of some very early batman stories, from 1939 or 1940. I think Monster Men might have actually been the first Batman comic, or at least one of them.

I've been meaning to re read Gotham After Midnight. I have the trade but I remember being disappointed with it. Will have to re read it and see what I think now. Court of Owls though, like many others have said, is fantastic.

I have that on pre order. I have all the single issues of Snyder's run and was waiting for a complete collection of the Court of Owls but this seemed too cool to pass up. Although it really seems like something that should have come with a complete Court of Owls book. Maybe even an Absolute Edition.

Tornadoflame
10-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I may have to go with Hush. I enjoyed Hush thoroughly.

mistermadhouse
10-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Hush is amazing even with its predictable ending. Jim Lee really hit it out of the park on every page.

Pork Chop Express
10-02-2013, 09:09 PM
It's been a long time but I remember really liking Legends of the Dark Knight, first issues 1-5, 6-10. Every 5 issues was it's own story from what I remember. Recently, Court of Owls was great.

marker2037
10-02-2013, 10:29 PM
TDKR, Hush, Long Halloween, Court of Owls, Black Mirror

kl241
10-02-2013, 11:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Gotham_by_Gaslight.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Batsondemon.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Arkham.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Killingjoke.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8e/NML1.jpg

mistermadhouse
10-03-2013, 04:12 AM
How is Son of the Demon?

Russell1982
10-03-2013, 04:22 PM
It's been a long time but I remember really liking Legends of the Dark Knight, first issues 1-5, 6-10. Every 5 issues was it's own story from what I remember. Recently, Court of Owls was great.

Legends of the Dark Knight started out great. The first few story arcs, Shaman, Gothic, Prey, Venom, were all fantastic.

mistermadhouse
10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Gothic is great but I wasn't as keen on the three hundred year old demon and how there wasn't a 'logical' explanation for it. Still a great story and I like how Batman had to travel afar to investigate.

Pork Chop Express
10-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Legends of the Dark Knight started out great. The first few story arcs, Shaman, Gothic, Prey, Venom, were all fantastic.

Yes, exactly. I only collected up to issue #20, and a few after that.

dcmarv
10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Any Morrison run is great.

floreairfoot
10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Dark Victory by Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb is my all time favorite.

mistermadhouse
10-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Dark Victory by Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb is my all time favorite.

Yeah it's a great sequel. How can you not love Sale's Catwoman? :yess:

Russell1982
10-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Any Morrison run is great.

:goodpost: I recently read through his entire run on Batman and can't recommend it highly enough. I loved every minute of it.

JefftheCollector
10-12-2013, 06:27 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rXcXUyXL0RU/UCLiuJ5Yg3I/AAAAAAAAh8o/saKOH6PkTdY/s1600/Earth+One+Batman+Cover.jpg

Russell1982
10-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Dude, you're like my kindred spirit. :lol I was waiting so long Batman Earth One to come out after hearing about it. It seemed to take forever. And when it did, wow. I literally finished reading it and told everybody I know they had to read it. It was that good. I literally loved everything about it, every page, every panel. It was amazing. Really excited for book 2 as well.

mistermadhouse
10-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow you guys are really raving about Earth One. I loved the art but I don't remember it being so amazing. But you've convinced me to read it again.

Russell1982
10-14-2013, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I adored it. But everyone has their own taste so maybe it wasn't for you. Definitely re read it if you think you may like it more. I just remember thinking it was awesome. I really enjoyed Superman Earth One as well though. And am super excited for Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth One.

JefftheCollector
10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Dude, you're like my kindred spirit. :lol I was waiting so long Batman Earth One to come out after hearing about it. It seemed to take forever. And when it did, wow. I literally finished reading it and told everybody I know they had to read it. It was that good. I literally loved everything about it, every page, every panel. It was amazing. Really excited for book 2 as well.

:lol:hi5:

Agreed!

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/gn-covers/2012/03/BMKFv1_cvr_r2.jpg

There is 4 volumes to this story arc. I would recommend getting the graphic novels unless you want to track down all the issues.

Russell1982
10-15-2013, 01:58 AM
I have the original versions of the three books but I still had to collect these new editions for all the extra stuff. Prodigal and the knightquest portion of the story. Although a lot of knightquest was still missing wasn't it from what I remember? Still, an awesome epic storyline that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to read batman.

Snake.Eyes
10-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Apart fro the popular ones i really dig Gotham by gaslight, Court of Owls, Night of Owls, Broken City (there is a noir version also), Noel and Joker by Bermejo, Knightfall and finally a crossover between him, Hellboy and starman created mu Mignola...nothing too exciting but you get batman and hellboy in the same page which is brilliant!

Russell1982
10-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Gotham by Gaslight is fantastic. I really enjoyed it. My favourite Elseworlds book is Nine Lives. Absolutely great stuff. I've still yet to read Noel, will have to pick it up this Christmas I think.

Snadinator
11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow you guys are really raving about Earth One. I loved the art but I don't remember it being so amazing. But you've convinced me to read it again.

I hated Earth One. Not only did Batman not need another new origin story, but I just thought the entire read made Batman appear to be a dork.

mistermadhouse
11-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I hated Earth One. Not only did Batman not need another new origin story, but I just thought the entire read made Batman appear to be a dork.

I read it again for the second or third time and I agree. Aside from the art (which is amazing) I was not into this story at all. Way too short as well.

Tornadoflame
11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I just bought a Batman lot on Ebay and they snuck in an All Star Batman and Robin lol

Russell1982
11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I've read the first 4 or 5 issues or so of All Star Batman and Robin and hated it. I just thought the writing was awful.

DiFabio
11-08-2013, 11:59 AM
http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/book-covers/11737_900x1350.jpg

EVILFACE
11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
One of my favorites is 'Subway Jack' by Joe R. Lansdale. It's in the The Further Adventures of Batman novel.

http://batmannovels.com/images/covers/furtheradventruesofbatman_400.jpg

Tornadoflame
11-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I've read the first 4 or 5 issues or so of All Star Batman and Robin and hated it. I just thought the writing was awful.

That's what I heard. Jim Lee's art looks amazing though.

Russell1982
11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah the art was really great. I'd heard some bad things about the book but then a repellent recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a chance. I downloaded a few issues digitally when they were on sale but I just thought frank millers writing, the dialogue in particular, was just dreadful.

But yeah, the art is really cool.

Russell1982
11-08-2013, 12:16 PM
http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/book-covers/11737_900x1350.jpg

I've actually been quite interested in checking this out. I LOVED Morrison's entire run and the amount of references to those older stories, a few of which I'd read in the greatest batman stories compilations.

TheGDBatman
11-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah the art was really great. I'd heard some bad things about the book but then a repellent recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a chance. I downloaded a few issues digitally when they were on sale but I just thought frank millers writing, the dialogue in particular, was just dreadful.

But yeah, the art is really cool.

It's so bad that it's kinda good. Well I wouldn't go that far. For me it's like a more entertaining version if the Batman and Robin clooney movie. Horrible writing, camp and sexual innuendo.

Snadinator
11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

That is probably the worse Batman story... lol

mistermadhouse
11-08-2013, 02:12 PM
DiFabio that casebook looks amazing. RIP is one my favorite Morrison stories.

JefftheCollector
11-09-2013, 06:33 AM
DiFabio that casebook looks amazing. RIP is one my favorite Morrison stories.

:exactly::clap:clap

FDBMath
09-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Aside from he standard recommendations, here are a few that I like as well:

For me, I loved Dark Knight, Dark City. It was the story arc that got me to buy comics. A really dark version of the Riddler, satanism being practiced by the founding fathers, some dark stuff involving the kidnapping of babies. Got me hooked.

I also can't recommend Ed Brubaker's run on Batman and Greg Rucka's run on Detective (both after No Man's Land) highly enough. Some really great stories in there.

Old school wise, look into finding a copy of Strange Apparitions. It collects the Engleheart/Marshall run on Detective from the '70s. Also, look for Tales of the Demon. It collects the Denny O'Neil Ra's al Ghul stories in one volume.

Other than those, anything by Grant Morrison is great.

Captain Britain
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Aside from he standard recommendations, here are a few that I like as well:

For me, I loved Dark Knight, Dark City. It was the story arc that got me to buy comics. A really dark version of the Riddler, satanism being practiced by the founding fathers, some dark stuff involving the kidnapping of babies. Got me hooked.

I also can't recommend Ed Brubaker's run on Batman and Greg Rucka's run on Detective (both after No Man's Land) highly enough. Some really great stories in there.

Old school wise, look into finding a copy of Strange Apparitions. It collects the Engleheart/Marshall run on Detective from the '70s. Also, look for Tales of the Demon. It collects the Denny O'Neil Ra's al Ghul stories in one volume.

Other than those, anything by Grant Morrison is great.

I was just going to recommend Strange Apparitions, which for some weird reason is out of print and costs a lot of money to buy.

Movie-Figures
12-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Looking forward to this thread. More of a movie buff myself, but we have quite some customers and items based on comics so I'm now entering the world of comics :)

Just read today a famous one, which I really enjoyed:

Interesting on the deluxe edition is the artist recoloured it on his mac as he wasn't happy with the job when outsourced 20 years ago. It's really easy to read and simply laid out so I found this one a good comic for someone starting out like me. I know layouts can get quite complicated to follow so I liked the traditional flow of this one.

I was also interested in this comic as Kotobukiya do a statue on this front cover which we've sold to quite a few customers. Nice idea recreating that scene in a statue:

devilof76
12-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Has The Cult been mentioned?

Russell1982
12-04-2014, 06:41 AM
I was just going to recommend Strange Apparitions, which for some weird reason is out of print and costs a lot of money to buy.

I love strange apparitions. Some classic stories in there, including the joker fish story if I remember correctly. And the whole Hugo strange thing. A really great collection. Didn't realise the price on that one had gone up though.

Has The Cult been mentioned?

I've been meaning to read The Cult for ages as I'd heard good things. I've just downloaded it as its on sale on the DC app so will check it out soon.

kairus
12-04-2014, 06:51 AM
batman gothic really good story spooky!
frank millers batman Dark knight returns
the cult
the killing joke
batman judge dredd ,(judgment on gotham) great illustrations paintings.
batman and the demon (a tragedy) paintings

devilof76
12-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I've been meaning to read The Cult for ages as I'd heard good things. I've just downloaded it as its on sale on the DC app so will check it out soon.

The Chalice and Holy Terror are pretty cool too.