I want to build 1/6 chair out of styrene. Need help in choosing the right thickness.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom Saber

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought I posted this last night, but I don't see it. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with plastic styrene before. I want to make a 1/6 chair out of styrene, but the last time I bought styrene, it was too thick to make a clean cut with a scalpel. I was wondering what would be the right type of styrene to buy - one that is thin enough to cut cleanly with a non laser tool, but strong enough to support a figure's weight. Thanks.

If you're serious about it, get hold of a bunch of thicknesses so you can familiarise yourself with the material. I'd say 1mm is about as thick as I'd go without getting the jigsaw or bandsaw out.

If you don't want to cut with electric tools then you can laminate acrylic sheet. Get some plastic cement, paint it onto one surface and clamp together. Leave to dry then sand the edges clean.

If you're serious about it, get hold of a bunch of thicknesses so you can familiarise yourself with the material. I'd say 1mm is about as thick as I'd go without getting the jigsaw or bandsaw out.

If you don't want to cut with electric tools then you can laminate acrylic sheet. Get some plastic cement, paint it onto one surface and clamp together. Leave to dry then sand the edges clean.

Thank you for the tip, and yes I am serious about it as the chair I want to make is something never, oddly enough, that has never really been done in 1:6 scale.

I ended up ordering a combo pack of .2, .4, and .6mm sheets since it was cheap. I realized that I need a few thin parts to bend a bit for the project so the .4 is perfect. I will also test combine the .4 and .6 to see if I can that thickness. Thank you.

I've used styrene for years. You don't need to cut all the way through, just score it heavily and it will snap along the line. Laminating a couple of pieces, then sanding them works well.

Hello all,

I thought I posted this last night, but I don't see it. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with plastic styrene before. I want to make a 1/6 chair out of styrene, but the last time I bought styrene, it was too thick to make a clean cut with a scalpel. I was wondering what would be the right type of styrene to buy - one that is thin enough to cut cleanly with a non laser tool, but strong enough to support a figure's weight. Thanks.

I use styrene all the time.
The trick is not to cut it how you normally would...
With styrene, all you need to do is score a line, and then bend it, and it will easily snap perfectly along the scored line.

EDIT: I was beaten to it...

Thanks. I am going to try that. I actually thought of doing that, but right now, the rechargeable battery in my dremel is nit strong enough, so I am waiting fir it to die so that i can recharge it.

Dremel? How thick is the styrene you are cutting?
All I use is an xacto knife. It works on all thicknesses up to 2mm for me.
Ive never tried it thicker styrene than that.

Thanks. I am going to try that. I actually thought of doing that, but right now, the rechargeable battery in my dremel is nit strong enough, so I am waiting fir it to die so that i can recharge it.

Dremel? How thick is the styrene you are cutting?
All I use is an xacto knife. It works on all thicknesses up to 2mm for me.
Ive never tried it thicker styrene than that.

.06". I tried dremel yesterday, but dust came out everywhere and I misplaced my mask. I ended up craving the rest with my xacto knife. I think I am going to start using a knife exclusively.

Knife with a stencil blade, not the #11 blade they come with works best. Also a steel ruler helps.

Knife with a stencil blade, not the #11 blade they come with works best. Also a steel ruler helps.

Thanks. A stencil blade? Do you have a pic?

As for progress, I cut out my first piece over the weekend through dremel and then scalpel to take out any of the rough edges. I then sand it out and I am satisfy with it. However, with the next pieces, I will use scalpel exclusively since the dremel makes a lot of dust and scapel seems more less work.

Back