PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood -Declassified (Spoiler thread)

Pages : [1] 2

Memnoch
10-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes I know there is a BBC online companion called Declassified but this is for SPOILERS of Torchwood.

SO

Jack can't die. He has the Doctors hand. No one can see the elevator because that is where the TARDIS landed in Boom Town. Jack apparently has Bad Wolf residual energy left. Did I miss anything else?

pitchin
10-29-2006, 06:21 PM
3rd episode screened tonight and was better than the 2nd. The device that told the past/future was nicely done.

The preview for the 4th episode looks awesome

Darth Caedus
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes I know there is a BBC online companion called Declassified but this is for SPOILERS of Torchwood.

SO

Jack can't die. He has the Doctors hand. No one can see the elevator because that is where the TARDIS landed in Boom Town. Jack apparently has Bad Wolf residual energy left. Did I miss anything else?

Like the link between jack not dying and him saying that when a "doctor" comes he can explain it. [i smell crossover]. But where is the hand from? it looks familiar, but i don't know from where.

Memnoch
11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
It is indeed the 10th Doctors that was cut off in The Christmas Invasion. Also rumors are that Cpt Jack sees the Doctor ON Doctor Who at the end of Series 3.

JABBATHERIDGE
12-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Torchwood spoilers eh?

Okay have you guys heard about the Cyberwoman in episode four, one of the members of Torchwood had a girlfriend who was captured by the Cybermen and when they were defeated, they were in the middle of converting her so she's now a half/human half cyber woman. The member of Torchwood has hidden her in the basement of Torchwood without telling Jack and the others and when she gets out the fun begins.

Episode five is about fairies (which sounds like garbage but was actually a great episode) Jack is also forced to make a tough decision in this one and we find out a bit about his past.

Episode six is like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in Wales, bascially Torchwood goes out into the country to investigate some mysterious murders and find themselves at the mercy of a family of cannibals. There are some gruesome deaths as well.

Episode seven has an alien disguised as a woman erm "befriending" a female member of Torchwood and giving her a pendant which allows her to read other's minds.

Episode eight has just aired in the UK and is about a serial killer murdering people and writing Torchwood on the walls in their blood. Torchwood use a metal gauntlet which can bring people back to life after they've died for no more than two minutes to find out who's behind the killings, but there's a huge twist.

The early episodes of the series were a bit medicore but from episode 5 onwards it's been must watch television. So if you don't like the first few when it airs in the states, remember it gets better as the series continues.

Hope you guys enjoy it and I haven't spoiled too much, but hell the thread said it was a spoiler thread.

Memnoch
12-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Bless the torrents I've seen everything up to Countrycide and sadly I dont think Torchwood will make it the to states because of language and sexual content. Sad really because its a fun show.

JABBATHERIDGE
12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
They could always edit it, if Dr Who is a big enough hit I'm sure Sci Fi will pick it up for a late screening.

How popular is Who in the states?

Memnoch
12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
To be honest I have no idea how Who is doing in the US ratings. I do know though that BBC America is showing series 1 currently, or season 27? which I perfer because it is afterall Doctor Who and not starting over from a new First Doctor.

To be totally honest though I would rather see Torchwood not released over here on tv if they have to edit it. Just let them release it on DVD and have a huge marketing push for it. I think what makes Torchwood so interesting is the fact that the people are so flawed and at times so petty they seem like people you would find in the real world. Plus I would think they would have a hard time with the second episide of Torchwood, ya know the whole alien feeding on orgasmic energy.

Xeno
12-10-2006, 02:20 PM
I think Torchwood is a bit dissapointing really. It is more like CSI Torchwood sometimes.. And all the sex realted stuff seems so "pushed".. Like they just put in there to give it an "adult feeling".. I don't know how it's doing in the UK but it certainly is no Dr. Who. I keep watching though.

Memnoch
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
See I think that's the point though. Torchwood is like CSI: Cardiff meets the X-Files. It's a different breed of story that has it's roots in Who just like Sara Jane Smith Adventures or whatever it's called will be. I just wish they would reopen Torchwood One or something BIG and up the scope of the show a little more. Right now its a little too dark in atmosphere but perfectly fine in dark tone.

JABBATHERIDGE
12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I think Torchwood is a bit dissapointing really. It is more like CSI Torchwood sometimes.. And all the sex realted stuff seems so "pushed".. Like they just put in there to give it an "adult feeling".. I don't know how it's doing in the UK but it certainly is no Dr. Who. I keep watching though.

Torchwood does reasonably well in the UK but it's certainly not the ratings smash that Dr Who turned into.

We have a huge soap in the UK called Coronation Street, I don't know if you guys have ever heard of it, but it's massive over here. Every week it's top of the ratings and has been for like ten years, no other show comes close to touching it. Simply everybody watches it.

Although recently Dr Who's ratings have come dangerously close, which just goes to show how popular Who is over here.

I know what you mean about the sex stuff feeling a little forced as well, it's not a show without it's flaws but I'm still hoping it gets a second season to flourish properly.

I've a feeling it probably will.

Anyone watch the latest episode..man, it's pretty dark stuff

Next week is a double episode season finale on new year's day

Memnoch
12-25-2006, 06:46 PM
I have at least 4 episodes to catch up on. *sigh* I hate being at school and missing the good stuff. But dark is good.. I guess one day Ill have a Torchwood marathon.

thamesvalidude
01-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Double episode errrr wow..............full male on male tonguey kiss ewwww...not feeling well, captain Jack disappearing to the sound of the tardis "the right kind of Dr." wow good stuff!:confused:

Memnoch
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I think the ending was fantastic. Jack dissapearing and all. BUT my issue with Torchwood is the permeating atheistic feel. I enjoyed the episode with the eye.. .Random Shoes I think? more then episodes like the pilot and They Keep Killing Suzie. Things about Torchwood I would change... cut the gratuitous sex. It just kills the plot and pacing. The profanity is fine by me as it isn't every other word. No more of Rheys' ass. Cut out the personal philosophy of RTD and his athiesm. Torchwood was created as a line of defense against aliens. Lets see a little more of that than sex, nudity and depressing plots.

thamesvalidude
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I think the ending was fantastic. Jack dissapearing and all. BUT my issue with Torchwood is the permeating atheistic feel. I enjoyed the episode with the eye.. .Random Shoes I think? more then episodes like the pilot and They Keep Killing Suzie. Things about Torchwood I would change... cut the gratuitous sex. It just kills the plot and pacing. The profanity is fine by me as it isn't every other word. No more of Rheys' ass. Cut out the personal philosophy of RTD and his athiesm. Torchwood was created as a line of defense against aliens. Lets see a little more of that than sex, nudity and depressing plots.

Haha the nudity and atheism is probably why I like it, in the case of the latter, like why I loved star trek in its roddenbury incarnations... but as I said to my wife tonight : RTD is probably over the top in his showing his homosexual militancy and his atheistic motif within the Jack character if he wants a broad audience.
We all have to accept diff'rent strokes.............I guess:o

Even so I think I love Gwen Cooper and that ending whoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Memnoch
01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
The athieism didn't bother me at first. But as the series is going on I see it more and more and I think its just starting to detract. Same as you said with all the kissing. I think if they actually MAKE it more like X-Files meets CSI and not "non religion, tons of kissing and the like" then it would be a HUGE hit. Most of the complains I've heard stem from most of the sexual content and the cursing. Now Im not a prude or anything but I think the sex scene with Owen and Dianne killed the pacing there. Oh and speaking of Owen... can we get him killed off or something because I actually can't stand him. I dunno, I will give Torchwood till season 2 to get better but the more I watch, the more I wish Torchwood would have stayed the way we saw it during the Battle of Canary Warf and not gone into it's own show.

Darren Carnall
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
There are some things I'd change about the show, the dialogue feels too forced sometimes, and just by the writing you can often tell whats going to happen later on, in a scooby do kind of way. And there's been some cases of bad acting a few times... but i blame the writing and directing for that.

swearing makes it more real for me, because... well... that's how we talk in real life.

And I'm happy about the non religion thing. I'm sick of shows/society forcing particular beliefs on me assuming that we 'all' have them and it's perfectly normal. It's not... I don't. Yay for shows that 'dare' to say 'y'know what? there's nothing afterwards' :)

The last episode was a real emotional powerhouse I thought, they really went for it. We absolutely loved it here. Can't wait for season 2! :D

Memnoch
01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Im a fan of no mentioning of religions at all. I dunno, i like my sci-fi strictly sci-fi. I do think its daring to say theres nothing after but .. meh. That's one of those things I can't really get behind. Then again though I have my own death issues lol. My top lists of things to change:

Better scripts.

Work a little on the acting. The two I love watching the most seem to be Tosh and Jack. Followed by Gwen, Ianto and then Owen. I HATE Owen.

Dial back the sex, male/male kisses and athiestic stuff. I would much rather have seen Jack's "nothing" have to do with the fact that he was brought back by Rose. At the same time there's an interesting contradiction. Jack and everyone brough back says there's nothing, an empty void, but if there's nothing then why do they have a memory of the nothing?

Make it more of a covert team and less buddy buddy. I think if Yyvonne would see how Torchwood 2 acts she'd blow. It doesn't seem very professional at all.

I understand Torchwood finding its legs and I think the finale help up well. The guy that played Bilis (also played the conductor in the recent adaption of Webbers Phantom of the Opera) was fantastically creepy and should have been the seasons "Big Bad" to steal from Buffy.

Darth Caedus
01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
going to skim these threads, been falling behind in torchwood. Haven't seen it since the 3rd episode. Question to you all: is Torchwood as good as Who was this year?

Memnoch
01-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Honestly... it's had its moments but I would say Who definatly has it beat. Torchwood (to me at least) seemed more dark/bleak than dark/scary, sci-fi. Countrycide was a letdown. The finale was good. I'll have to take a glance at the titles in a bit and give u a list and rating.

Darth Caedus
01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Honestly... it's had its moments but I would say Who definatly has it beat. Torchwood (to me at least) seemed more dark/bleak than dark/scary, sci-fi. Countrycide was a letdown. The finale was good. I'll have to take a glance at the titles in a bit and give u a list and rating.

Thanks, no rush on that. I was going to get the remainer of the episodes over the next couple of days.

Memnoch
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Everything Changes 7/10
Day One 7/10
Ghost Machine 8/10
Cyberwoman 6/10
Small Worlds 5/10
Countrycide 2/10
Greeks Bearing Gifts 6.5/10
They Keep Killing Suzie 7/10
Random Shoes 8.5/10
Out of Time 5.5/10
Combat 5/10
Capt Jack 8/10
End of Days 8.9/10

Reasons:
Everything Changes 7/10
I liked the intro to team Torchwood 2, and it was a good way to ease into the show. Dialogue and pacing issues hurt the score.

Day One 7/10
More insight into Torchwood and what they do. I will never understand the whole "date rape" thing and do not want to bring the issue here.

Ghost Machine 8/10
Interesting, thought provoking and chilling. I loved this one.

Cyberwoman 6/10
Sooo Ianto can bring a scientist in, scientist dies, base goes to Hell, Cyberwoman kills a girl ... all this because of Ianto but no big reprimand or anything?

Small Worlds 5/10
I liked the link to Jacks past, but at the same time I think the story wasn't that well structured and Jack seemed to give up too easily.

Countrycide 2/10
All Im going to say is that cannibals do not a good episode make.

Greeks Bearing Gifts 6.5/10
Good characterization for Tosh, but overall wasn't that grabbing. Lots of girl/girl kissing though. Again, Jack seemed out of character from Who.

They Keep Killing Suzie 7/10
Good concept, interesting hints at possible future episodes. Only complaint is that Suzie says theres "nothing" yet she remembers "a void, a blackness". Tell me exactly how, if there is nothing after we die like RTD has her state, then why does she remember anything at all. Her last memory should be gasping for air with a bullet through her head.

Random Shoes 8.5/10
Of all this season this ranks as my number 3 favorite episode. You really felt for the poor kid. The clues left to Gwen were interesting and I enjoyed the detective vibe to it. Also it was one of the few Torchwood eps that left me smiling after. I think this was what they were aiming for when they did "Love and Monsters". If it were as well done as this, I'd have been happier with that episode of Who.

Out of Time 5.5/10
I would love to write an essay on this episode but I wont. I just will say that the sex scene with Owen and Dianne KILLED pacing for me. This episode and the next helped me DISPISE Owen. I felt for the girl that Gwen took in (plus she had to see Rhyes naked... MY EYES MY EYES!). And I could tell Jack's heart was breaking when he sat with the older fellow in the car. If some things were trimmed out this episode would have easily been a 7.5.

Combat 5/10
To me this was filler, plain and simple. It made me really hate Owen and just.. not a fan.

Capt Jack 8/10
End of Days 8.9/10

I cannot say enough about these two episodes. There were some missteps sure but taken overall, and with Bilis as the villian it was fantastic. This is I think what Torchwood was strving to be all along. Now granted Jack's writhing was a bit silly, being revived by a kiss wasnt much better, but these two eps were soild over all and the last 30 seconds of End of Days made it all worth it. Well... not all but you know what I mean.

thamesvalidude
01-04-2007, 06:45 AM

Must agree with a lot of Memnoch's comments. The problem with a lot of Brit TV v, US TV is the reliance on one writer, rather than a team of writers. When a genius like Gervais is on form this can really work. Dr. Who is RTD's best work, while he does seem to be persuing a few too many personal agendas in Torchwood, particularly his sexuality. Even so, it is definitely some of the best TV around at the moment...can't wait for Who's return, the season trailer looked awesome.

Darth Caedus
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Must agree with a lot of Memnoch's comments. The problem with a lot of Brit TV v, US TV is the reliance on one writer, rather than a team of writers. When a genius like Gervais is on form this can really work. Dr. Who is RTD's best work, while he does seem to be persuing a few too many personal agendas in Torchwood, particularly his sexuality. Even so, it is definitely some of the best TV around at the moment...can't wait for Who's return, the season trailer looked awesome.

From the torchwood episodes I have seen, I would have to agree with you that RTD seemed to put sexuality as one of the top themes of the show. Which isn't bad, but I don't want EVERY episode like that; when they substitute show quality just to have sexuality in it, it all starts going downhill. BTW, when does the new series of WHO start in UK ?

Memnoch
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
If its anything like Who seasons past, it should start around Easter Weekend. And sadly, I think just about every episode had SOMETHING sexual in it.

thamesvalidude
01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
The BBC just said "spring" so I guess Easter is probably spot on. Don't forget that in the UK Who is very much regarded as a kids show (shown pre the 9pm watershed after which all clothes can come off) so RTD has to behave himself. There will be no Captain Jack /Doctor snogging...thank goodness.
By the way I also hate Owen.

But Gwen in the nude would be good!:D :D :o :cool:

Memnoch
01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I can't tell you how many jokes I've heard about Gwen and the gap in her teeth, though she is very pretty. I rather like that Who is a "kids/family" show because I really think its one of the first Sci-Fis I will share when I have kids as there is something for everyone there. Torchwood is much more love it or leave it or so it would seem.

Darren Carnall
01-04-2007, 11:27 AM
just reading this thread again and some of the comments.

So it's ok to have two women kissing but not two men?

and it's ok to have *countless* tv shows talking about God...heaven... hell... religion... church.. prayer.... whatever, as if it's perfectly normal.....but as soon as one says "there's nothing" afterwards.. thats not ok?

If i have to put up with religious people's assumptions that we're all Christians, then they can put up with someone else saying that we're not :)

Memnoch
01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Let me clarify points. I think ALL the kissing and sex stuff is overdone in Torchwood. I can appreciate two guys kissing as much as two women. Different strokes for different folks.

As for the religion aspect, most of the shows I watch don't really deal with religion. And it's not so much that there was the statement that there's nothing after you die, but its the fact that it's not kept uniform. Im a big fan of continutity (some things make my head explode because of lack of continutity). Jack says there was nothing, Suzie says theres nothing, but Suzie remembers the nothing as a void. If you just die and there's nothing then there should be nothing to remember.

Also I don't like shows saying we are all Christians either. I like diversity in the world which is why, as soon as I have some extra scratch, I plan on buying GOOD copies of the 3 major religious works and while in school looking at Buddishim and other Eastern religions. Variety is the spice of life :D

thamesvalidude
01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
just reading this thread again and some of the comments.

So it's ok to have two women kissing but not two men?

and it's ok to have *countless* tv shows talking about God...heaven... hell... religion... church.. prayer.... whatever, as if it's perfectly normal.....but as soon as one says "there's nothing" afterwards.. thats not ok?

If i have to put up with religious people's assumptions that we're all Christians, then they can put up with someone else saying that we're not :)

Right on all counts Hunky artist.......on issue one - I am hoist by my own pathetic prejudices...apologies:o
and you are right on the latter point, check out my atlanta thread!

Memnoch
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I may come off as a contridiction at times but if I calm down from rants, then Im usually able to better articulate my points. I have issue with any form of beliefs entering into entertainment. If I want to hear about life after death, Ill go to church, if I want to learn more about the idea that there is nothing, I would talk to an athiest. If you guys have any questions on anything I said, just ask me directly here. I rather like that we are having an honest open disscussion with no name calling or judgements.

One thing I will say though, in Capt Jack... my heart broke when the two of them kissed because Real Jack was so scared and hurt and Our Jack knew what was going to happen the next day. Two very different emotions but one powerful connection.

Darth Caedus
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Don't want to get in a theology or sexuality debate, so let's just end that here shall we :emperor :emperor

ANYWAY, Just watched End of Days (at first glance, the monster looked like the one from THE SATAN PIT, I liked him). PLUS, Jack gets to see his doctor again. I wonder when in the new season of WHO will that come around. I read that Jack will be in the last 3 episodes, can't believe that.

ALSO: the best line

Gwen: Jack, what would make you open the rift?
Jack:....a certain kind of doctor

UHHHHH...that got me excited to see the doctor, but we only heard the TARDIS. That was good enough for me

gdb
02-09-2007, 06:58 PM
So I've been a little behind on this show. Finally caught up and scanned this thread. First off: Love the show! But maybe I'm saying that because I am so thrilled by the fresh take on things, the lack of American cliches (traded for British ones, perhaps? Wouldn't know) and mature take on the show. Love the realistic dialog (cursing), but hate the disco lights in the SUV.

I've gotta say, that American Network Hour Dramas are so "sensitive" to alienating their viewers that they have to throw religion into EVERYTHING they can -- even if it's not in the forefront it's always running in the background like Spyware and I'm sick of it. Too bad that people who are SICK of evangelical smucks who need constant reinforcement aren't a group that gets verbally offended or perhaps we'd be listened to. Here in the States I only know of one broadcaster who has the guts to stand up and say enough's enough and he's only on the radio.

That's all to say that I applaud the fun take on mythology while being seemingly outside Judea/Christian dogma.

Anyway, I love the sexuality but it needs, like so many other things in the show (first year, seams showing and all that) some smoothing down and hammering out -- in short a little finesse. This applies to everything but especially the sexuallity: they look like they're trying, and I would prefer it to look effortless. Still, better than not trying at all.

The gay kiss was very, very gay. I got nothing against gay kisses (or snogging, is it?) -- in fact I'm all for it. More kisses for everyone! Especially any group that isn't afforded the same rights (such as the pursuit of happiness ie. marriage) as others -- they need love most of all. But they wanted it to be very gay and it was.

I do feel a bit daft in that I missed the hand is clearly the Doctor's now that Memnoch points it out.

Anyway, can't wait for more. I hope it improves as much as Doctor Who Season 2.

Sorry congerking, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Darth Caedus
02-09-2007, 07:08 PM
So I've been a little behind on this show. Finally caught up and scanned this thread. First off: Love the show! But maybe I'm saying that because I am so thrilled by the fresh take on things, the lack of American cliches (traded for British ones, perhaps? Wouldn't know) and mature take on the show. Love the realistic dialog (cursing), but hate the disco lights in the SUV.

I've gotta say, that American Network Hour Dramas are so "sensitive" to alienating their viewers that they have to throw religion into EVERYTHING they can -- even if it's not in the forefront it's always running in the background like Spyware and I'm sick of it. Too bad that people who are SICK of evangelical smucks who need constant reinforcement aren't a group that gets verbally offended or perhaps we'd be listened to. Here in the States I only know of one broadcaster who has the guts to stand up and say enough's enough and he's only on the radio.

That's all to say that I applaud the fun take on mythology while being seemingly outside Judea/Christian dogma.

Anyway, I love the sexuality but it needs, like so many other things in the show (first year, seams showing and all that) some smoothing down and hammering out -- in short a little finesse. This applies to everything but especially the sexuallity: they look like they're trying, and I would prefer it to look effortless. Still, better than not trying at all.

The gay kiss was very, very gay. I got nothing against gay kisses (or snogging, is it?) -- in fact I'm all for it. More kisses for everyone! Especially any group that isn't afforded the same rights (such as the pursuit of happiness ie. marriage) as others -- they need love most of all. But they wanted it to be very gay and it was.

I do feel a bit daft in that I missed the hand is clearly the Doctor's now that Memnoch points it out.

Anyway, can't wait for me. I hope it improves as much as Doctor Who Season 2.

Sorry congerking, I'll get off my soapbox now.

:emperor :emperor Don't worry, I didn't even think of the hand as the doctor's until I read it on a board, and was like DUH !!! I do agree with you on the part that it looks like they are trying to force some of the "sexual" aspects of the show as opposed to letting them go naturally.

If you want an American show that isn't "sensitive", you should check out Battlestar Galactica.

gdb
02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Hell yeah! What started as a sci-fi based on Mormon mysthology in the 70s is a haven for free expression on TV now. Love BSG. Good call, congerking. :chew

Memnoch
02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Don't worry about missing the hand, Im sure theres things we've missed (like Magpie's TVs). Im curious to see what happens during Season 2 of Torchwood. Love BSG too.

I could go on about religion because Im in this weird part of life right now... but I wont. lol Needless to say I think the Big Bad was really rushed, and aspects of dying on the show contridicted other aspects. All I ask is good story and as little contridiction as possible and if contridictions must be made at least give us a season to forget. My main point on this:

Jack dies, says theres nothing. Last memory (pre death) was the Dalek showdown.

Susie dies, says theres nothing, but at the same time remembers the nothingness? If there is nothing after death then her last memory should be shooting herself in the head.

Now I know it was done to accomidate the big bad, but that goes back to the fact that Big Bad was rushed.

Darren Carnall
02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
well they never said that the beliefs based on Christian religion are false and that when we die, we just die and it ends there... maybe they were saying something completely different.

Maybe we go somewhere else... it's not heaven or hell.... it's not a place... it's just... nowhere.

We have to learn to think outside the mythologies and superstitions we've all been brought up with.

gdb
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
We have to learn to think outside the mythologies and superstitions we've all been brought up with.

I agree 100%. I would agree more than that but unfortuantly it's just not mathematically possible. Even more unfortunately, in America (and elsewhere) it's exactly that sort of thinking that is so often frowned upon.

The immortality promise is often the third rail in theological discusion. Many, many true believers are attracted to their faith for just this selling point. And historically the powers that be like to drive their flock by the carrot of Heaven and the stick of Hell so I guess it's no wonder that they wouldn't want their tools of persuasion dulled by critical thinking. And while Torchwood is far from a critical aurgement one way or another it is a fun escape that might lead to thinking.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7596/550x370torchwoods02casthd5.jpg

sueworld
08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
For those who haven't heard yet. It's the sound of two fandoms colliding....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6900670.stm

Memnoch
08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Semi old news but its interesting to find out that Marsters will be in the premier and also that Freema hasnt shot her stuff yet.

Memnoch
08-19-2007, 02:29 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7596/550x370torchwoods02casthd5.jpg

HELLO new background! Thanks Karma.

Memnoch
11-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Posted by Kabuki in the Doctor Who thread:http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Torchwood-Returns-Quotlife/800027863

Torchwood will hit BBC America on Jan 26!

Kabukiman
11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Memnoch, I totally forgot about the Torchwood thread :lol

BBC must not have been kidding when they said Torchwood was a hit in the US, since they're so eager to capitalize with season 2.

Memnoch
11-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it also has to do with the fact that for the panel at SDCC over half the room had already seen Torchwood S1 before it aired in the US. They saw the demand and then they saw the ratings on BBC America so it was only natural that they air it so close to the UK airings. I won't have to download this season, now lets hope Sci Fi follows through with Who in the same way.

Darth Caedus
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I think it also has to do with the fact that for the panel at SDCC over half the room had already seen Torchwood S1 before it aired in the US. They saw the demand and then they saw the ratings on BBC America so it was only natural that they air it so close to the UK airings. I won't have to download this season, now lets hope Sci Fi follows through with Who in the same way.

Were you at SDCC when they did Torchwood? Someone revlead the ending to the first episode, saying something like: "why did you have to shoot one of the torchwood employees at the end?" or something like that. It was hilarious. Honestly, if I knew they were going to only talk about the first season, I wouldn't have gone. THhey were talking about the series that was already one year old. But I digress, can't wait until January

Memnoch
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I was there indeed and we got SOME bits about S2 but I was more irked that the COMPLETE panel had changed. No JB, No Eve Miles and No Julie Gardner. Instead we got the writers and the special effects guys.

JABBATHERIDGE
11-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Looking forward to Torchwood, read an interview regarding it and apparently this year we'll see less of the brooding Jack from season one, since his business with the Doctor is now resolved and more of the fun loving Jack from his appearances on DW. On the basis of that alone season two should be a big improvement on season one. Hopefully they'll focus more on the plots as well and less on the pointless sex and swearing.

ProgMatinee
11-30-2007, 09:09 AM
I kinda like this show, but was totally put off by what I saw as pointless bi-curious crap in the latest episode I saw on BBC America.

Darth Caedus
11-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I kinda like this show, but was totally put off by what I saw as pointless bi-curious crap in the latest episode I saw on BBC America.

They seem to do those sort of plots to make them "adult", but IMO, it just makes it look like they are reaching and can't write a decent plot and have to result to sex

Memnoch
11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
The only plot that came close to having a point for the sex was the one with the out of time pilot chick. That I think was the strongest show of the Series with the best written being Random Shoes. There are good episodes they are just a little rough.

ProgMatinee
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Random Shoes was my favorite episode and what I thought was the most poignant and thought provoking based on the writing and theme itself without needing cheap ploys like the bisexuality.

Memnoch
11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Random Shoes was my favorite episode and what I thought was the most poignant and thought provoking based on the writing and theme itself without needing cheap ploys like the bisexuality.

:clap I always knew I liked you Prog :lol I think if we see more writing like Random Shoes and even the better parts of the 2 parter finale then the next series will be fantastic. I've accepted that there will be LGTB issues but when they have a point to the plot that's fine. Throwing them in as an after thought, not so much. Hell that even goes for the straight sex too. If it works in story context great, if not, DON'T USE IT! Same goes for the language although they seemed to get a better handle on that by the end.

Kabukiman
11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
I remember reading somewhere (may have been here...) that the Torchwood writers didn't know the actors very well and therefore didn't trust in their abilities to get the story out properly. Therefore, they added dialog that would normally be not necessary if the actor gave a strong performance (getting certain emotions across, that kind of thing). Perhaps that why the sex is so prevalent in the show? I don't know if I explained that well, I wish I had a link to where I read that.

All I know is that season 2 is when everything changes, and we've got to be ready. :D

Memnoch
11-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Ya know with Marsters playing a Time Agent.. I'd love for it to be his vortex manipulator that the Family of Blood gets a hold of eventually. We all know Jack's becomes a basis for his home grown TARDIS :monkey3

ProgMatinee
11-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I am just finished with episode 12 of season 1 from Comcast OnDemand BBC America. I think there must be a lot that I haven't been privy to yet.

Darth Caedus
11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Just wish some of the episodes in this show could be as good as The Girl in the Fireplace or Blink...

JABBATHERIDGE
12-01-2007, 01:13 AM
There was too much focus on sexuality in Torchwood. The only episode I enjoyed for it was the second one where the alien fed off orgasmic energy because it was played mainly for comedy value and reminded me a little of Buffy and Angel episodes.

The rest of time it just seemed so forced, Yanto kisses Jack, although in episode four he has a girlfriend whose half Cyberman that he's willing to die for, so how does it make sense he would be so totally devoted to her when he's also bi sexual?

The character of Owen was completely destroyed by sex in the show, first episode he attempts to committ date rape using alien technology (great way to introduce a character we're supposed to like to us) then he shags Gwen behind Reece's back, then dumps Gwen the minute the girl from the past comes to town, then we're expected to believe that he is really in love with this girl and feel sorry for him. He just came off as a complete Jerk all season.

So yeah if they cut down on the sex for sex's sake stuff and focus more on the supernatural and monster elements of the story Torchwood could have a bright future. I think they need to build a rogues gallery of monsters though and stop using the Weevils so much.

Kabukiman
12-01-2007, 09:22 AM
so how does it make sense he would be so totally devoted to her when he's also bi sexual?

Because bi-sexuals can fall in love just like everybody else? :huh

JABBATHERIDGE
12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Because bi-sexuals can fall in love just like everybody else? :huh

Ok what I said was phrased badly:D

What I meant to say was at the end of the episode he was seething with rage because Jack had allowed her to die. It doesn't make sense that two minutes later he's locking lips with the dashing Captain and forgotten all about the supposed love of his life. The arcs and personalities of characters seemed to change depending who was writing an episode that week.

It made the series feel disjointed.

Kabukiman
12-01-2007, 10:04 AM
:lol I figured you didn't mean it that way, but I still had to give you $#@%

I know what you mean about Ianto and Jack: I remember thinking "he got over her (cyberchick) quick" after the exchange about the stopwatch. I don't recall seeing them kiss though; I still have "Captain Jack Harkness" and "End of Days" to go, so maybe it's yet to come for me.

Memnoch
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
:lol I figured you didn't mean it that way, but I still had to give you $#@%

I know what you mean about Ianto and Jack: I remember thinking "he got over her (cyberchick) quick" after the exchange about the stopwatch. I don't recall seeing them kiss though; I still have "Captain Jack Harkness" and "End of Days" to go, so maybe it's yet to come for me.

Yea, its in the finale.

JABBATHERIDGE
12-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Some Torchwood news, for the next series they are apparently going to be making two versions, child friendly and not.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=torchwood_for_the_kids

The link also names Marsters character as Captain John and establishes he has a "history" with Captain Jack, along with some very brief plot spoilers for some of the future episodes in the series, the memory thief one sounds particularly promising.

Some Torchwood news, for the next series they are apparently going to be making two versions, child friendly and not.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=torchwood_for_the_kids

The link also names Marsters character as Captain John and establishes he has a "history" with Captain Jack, along with some very brief plot spoilers for some of the future episodes in the series, the memory thief one sounds particularly promising.

aka UK BBC & BBC America versions :lol:lol

Darth Caedus
12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
We’re just left wondering how they would have re-edited season one’s "Day One" into a child-friendly version – presumably it would have been about three minutes long...

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

JABBATHERIDGE
12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
They could've always altered the plot slightly for Day One so that the alien fed off the energy of "special mummy and daddy cuddles".

JABBATHERIDGE
12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Freema Agyeman's home page has released the Torchwood season two trailer and it's pretty decent looking as well.

Check it out here:D

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2007/12/19/torchwood-s2-trailer-martha/

Freema Agyeman's home page has released the Torchwood season two trailer and it's pretty decent looking as well.

Check it out here:D

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2007/12/19/torchwood-s2-trailer-martha/

yep looks good, I remember the controversy over that bomb explosion as it was filmed in London not long after they found the car petrol bomb in Soho

Darth Caedus
12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I may be missed it, but has it been revealed how many episodes of TW martha would be in?

JABBATHERIDGE
12-20-2007, 03:29 AM
She isn't in the majority of episodes, I've heard three but I've also heard five, I don't think it's been announced officially yet.

Doubt she'll be in more than five though.

Kabukiman
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I e-mailed HDNet to see if they would be getting Torchwood Season 2. It took a while, but I finally got a response today:

We will indeed be airing Torchwood Season 2, we just don't have an air date set at this time.

Keep an eye on our website for details.

Great news, but I hope it airs sooner rather than later. I'd rather not watch the BBC America version; chances are they will be the "family friendly" edited episodes. :monkey4 Even if they don't air the family friendly ones, they'll still be edited in some way.

Memnoch
12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Edited or no, all I know is that I'll gladly be watching as we will be seeing these (most likely) within a week of the UK instead of a year.

Darklord Dave
12-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I set my Tivo for both versions and the HDNet seemed sporadic at best. Like they played the first 3 or so episodes and then just gave up.

Darth Caedus
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I set my Tivo for both versions and the HDNet seemed sporadic at best. Like they played the first 3 or so episodes and then just gave up.

I see it on HDNet all the time and I get upset that I don't get that HD Channel. A show like that much look amazing in HD.

Kabukiman
12-21-2007, 06:24 AM
I set my Tivo for both versions and the HDNet seemed sporadic at best.

Weird, I watched the whole series every monday night. Some episodes didn't register as "new" on my DVR so I had to program the time instead of the show title.

Season 2 starts Wednesday 16th January on BBC 2 in UK

Trailer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/episodes/series2/ep002_trailer.shtml

Kabukiman
01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Foiled by the BBC's international filter again. :banghead

To youtube, I go!

Memnoch
01-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I still may find the episodes early as there has been no confirmation on if the US is getting the family friendly Torchwood or Torchwood proper.

JABBATHERIDGE
01-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Season 2 starts Wednesday 16th January on BBC 2 in UK

Trailer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/episodes/series2/ep002_trailer.shtml

I'll be watching:D

Kabukiman
01-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Torchwood season 2 will air on HDNet starting February 11! :chew

Looks like I'll wait just a little bit longer than those of you watching on BBC America, but to see it in HD is so worth it!

The Torchwood is back on HDNet in February with all new episodes. The new series promises an exhilarating mixture of adventure, heartbreak, humour and surprise and pushes the team's resolve and friendships as never before. Firmly rooted in urban life of 21st century Cardiff, Torchwood's investigations into alien activity give the team glimpses of the 51st Century and the First World War. They encounter alien sleeper cells; save a stranded creature from human exploitation; meet a tragic soldier from the First World War; and encounter a memory thief who exposes long-forgotten secrets among the entire team. Torchwood returns Monday, February 11th at 7 PM ET.

Memnoch
01-26-2008, 12:12 PM
A friendly bump in anticipation of tonights premier on BBC America. :monkey3

Kabukiman
01-26-2008, 04:24 PM
why do we have like 2 or 3 different Torchwood threads now? :dunno

Because it's just that awesome! :rock :lol

Memnoch
01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Well if Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a precursor to the quality of the series, I won't be upset at all. Hope you all enjoy it when it shows at 9 PM.

Well if Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is a precursor to the quality of the series, I won't be upset at all. Hope you all enjoy it when it shows at 9 PM.

IMO eps 2 is better, the dialogue is better & wittier

Memnoch
01-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Ahh, I didn't get there yet Karma... maybe after midnight :lol I wonder when they bring Martha in though..

Darth Caedus
01-26-2008, 06:11 PM
IMO eps 2 is better, the dialogue is better & wittier

Karma, how many episodes are there out in UK already? Is the new season of Doctor Who out? If so, I'm going to have to download them, I'm not very patient to wait for them to get to the US

Memnoch
01-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Karma, how many episodes are there out in UK already? Is the new season of Doctor Who out? If so, I'm going to have to download them, I'm not very patient to wait for them to get to the US

Not Karma, but Torchwood will be airing episode 3 this week and Doctor Who will be either late March or early April. It always premiers around Easter.

Memnoch
01-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Well kids, what did we think? Watching it again made me appreciate how much better it was than most of S1. And next weeks looks to be promising as well, sleeper alien agents? Niiice.

Darklord Dave
01-27-2008, 01:07 AM
I just got the DVD set of Season 1 so it's been sort of a Torchie weekend. I really like Capt. John Hart and I hope he's around for a while. But does EVERYONE in this show have to be omnisexual? When he and Jack met I was like, okay they're going to kiss but I hoped they'd play against that expectation. They didn't.

His costume is to die for though. Was that a snakeskin Katana?

Darth Caedus
01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
I just got the DVD set of Season 1 so it's been sort of a Torchie weekend. I really like Capt. John Hart and I hope he's around for a while. But does EVERYONE in this show have to be omnisexual? When he and Jack met I was like, okay they're going to kiss but I hoped they'd play against that expectation. They didn't.

His costume is to die for though. Was that a snakeskin Katana?

That's the portion of the show that I really don't like. EVERYTHING has to do with sex, which it really don't have to be. Apparently BBC thinks that "adult" entertainment only means "sexual". I recorded the episode and will hopefully watch it later today

Darklord Dave
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I really don't mind everything being about sex, it's kind of fun for the show. But it's just not realistic that every single character is bisexual. Right, right, realism in a Dr. Who spinoff - what are you thinking? But you know what I mean.

alphatyrant
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
As someone asked a couple of posts ago, only 2 episodes have shown so far, every Wednesday night on BBC 1 & BBC HD, the 3rd is this coming Wednesday....they also have the good sense to repeat the previous weeks episode beforehand. A good thing as our Sky+ box cut out a minute or 2 from the show's end. Episode 1 with James Marsters was pretty damn good, the 2nd episode is not bad and looks to potentially set up an overall season arc.

RoboDad
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
That's the portion of the show that I really don't like. EVERYTHING has to do with sex, which it really don't have to be. Apparently BBC thinks that "adult" entertainment only means "sexual".

Yep, my thoughts exactly. The show has now lost all interest for me. I'm out.

Darth Caedus
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Watched the episode last night and it was pretty good. Good to see Marsters again, he's a great actor. My DVR didnt' record the very end of the episode, what did he say when he was going back into the rift energy? "I found josh?" and did anything happen after that?

Memnoch
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
"Oh, by the way, I found Grey." Then nothing really, just walking off into the night. For those playing the home game, I believe Grey is Jack's childhood friend from the 51st century that was tortured infront of him if I remember correctly.

sueworld
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Hmm, I know who Grey is, and it isn't him. Nice idea though. :o

Memnoch
01-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Hmm, I know who Grey is, and it isn't him. Nice idea though. :o

Ah you've got to be joking?! Tell tell tell! Come on im a spoiler whore! :lol

Darth Caedus
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Ah you've got to be joking?! Tell tell tell! Come on im a spoiler whore! :lol

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a84212/s02e02-sleeper.html

sueworld
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
*g* Well thats wrong for start....Grey isn't his ex boss, that I know.

Remember the flashback of the two holding hands?

Memnoch
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I remember... I just want to know nowww. :lol So far this series of Torchwood is looking really good. Now if only we could get Ashes to Ashes to start here two weeks after the UK.

sueworld
01-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Well if you really want to know...........

.spoiler

Grey turns out to be Jacks younger brother, who he was separated from for reasons that will become clear in another episode.

Memnoch
01-29-2008, 10:32 AM
AHHH! Well that is interesting. Still... I wonder if Grey and Jack's friend couldn't be one in the same. He is a liar and a con man after all :lol

Memnoch
02-02-2008, 11:14 PM
So what did we think of the new episode, well new to the US? I thought it was really good and so far this season is much stronger than last. I wonder if the sleeper cell will be a long arc? We must be getting closer to Martha's entrance though.

So what did we think of the new episode, well new to the US? I thought it was really good and so far this season is much stronger than last. I wonder if the sleeper cell will be a long arc? We must be getting closer to Martha's entrance though.

episode 3 is very good but spoiled by 1 unnecessary scene of man kissing :rolleyes:

and the preview for eps 4 looks excellent "alien meat industry"

JABBATHERIDGE
02-03-2008, 01:55 PM

According to the official Torchwood magazine which has just been released in the UK, Martha will appear in episode 6.

I enjoyed the first episode of the new series, the second was ok, but found the third one a little disappointing. I won#t spoil any details for US fans who have yet to see it but it's alot like a story they did last year just with two different characters. It was very disappointing IMHO.

I wondered whether the Sleeper Cell would come back, the Grey storyline seems like it's unresolved too, but will be picked up in a later episode. Makes me think Torchwood might do an SG1 and start doing episodes which then have sequel stories down the line.

As for all the "man love" in Torchwood at the minute, it seems a bit over the top for the series. I'm not remotely homophobic but it does seem like they're playing the bi sexual aspects of the character's just for effect rather than seriously looking at the issues those characters would face.

bcm77
02-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm all for equality but the way RTD is attempting to make bisexual or homosexual characters more acceptable to mainstream audiences is totally inept and ultimately will lead to people switching channels. The odd remark or bit of innuendo in Doctor Who was tolerable but all the stuff in Torchwood adds nothing to the show and seems to be included just so RTD and his flunkies can say "look how PC we are".

alphatyrant
02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Davoes just isn't a good writer, full stop. His stories are either contrived or just bad....like others I have no problems with his homosexuality issues but, c'mon....every epsiode? And episode 3 was dull, in trying to make us connect with characters I was just bored by the end.

So one good episode and 2 weak ones to follow....they better do something pretty damn sharpish to improve.

Memnoch
02-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought eps 1 and 2 were really strong, much stronger than last series stuff. Ep 3 airs here next weekend.

And about Davies, if it weren't for him we probably wouldn't have Doctor Who at all now. Sure some of his work might not have been the best but he helped to get the show back on the air and for that he deserves some credit.

Darren Carnall
02-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Watching these here in the UK, and I have to say everything I had a problem with in season 1 (although we still watched and enjoyed it... just ended up saying "I wish they did this different... i wish they hadnt done that...") ...everything about season 1 we didnt like they've fixed.

This new season seems much stronger. The characters are better, writing better, the visual look seems more coherent somehow. Not sure if it's the lighting.. the direction or what, but something makes it feel stronger and just more together.

The first two episode were fantastic... not a single thing we didn't like. And that is unheard of for us watching torchwood. (and that included the men-kissing... we don't have a problem with that, these people are supposed to have a passion for each other.... whether visible or hidden under the surface, and you know what happens when two people have a passion for each other? ... they kiss!)

They've done a really good job so far :rock

Wow.......double episode last night, first contains a lot about Jack's past & the 2nd has Martha Jones in it & a 3rd big event happens also but I'm not spoiling it for you guys (and I don't think anyone else should)

Memnoch
02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
But this is a spoiler thread! Spoil away! I don't think the US is getting any double doses anytime soon, and i really want to see how Martha is on Torchwood.

bcm77
02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
But this is a spoiler thread! Spoil away! I don't think the US is getting any double doses anytime soon, and i really want to see how Martha is on Torchwood.

OK I'll divulge some of what happened,
Episode 1 featured a bad guy who was able to manipulate memories.
During the course of the story it was revealed that Grey was Jack's younger brother and he was lost amid the chaos of an alien invasion of his homeworld. There were several flashbacks showing young Jack with Grey and his father which were quite well done and overall the story was a good one. The next episode had the team investigating a medical facility called the "Pharm".
Now a member of UNIT Martha showed up to assist them in infiltrating the facility where it was discovered they were using alien test subjects including Weevils to try and make new "miracle" cures for diseases. The big moment at the end saw one of the TW team shot dead by the head doctor at the "Pharm" who was played by the actor that used to be Jim Robinson in Aussie soap Neighbours. The story continues next week with the autopsy of the dead team member and what appears to be a church full of Weevils!

Memnoch
02-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Totally enough spoiler stuff right there! I KNEW a death was coming in Torchwood... but now Im afraid to find out who. And that I actually don't want to know. :lol It's also interesting that Jack ISN'T from Earth (if I take what you said correctly) and so Wikipedia has some rewriting to do about Jack being human and FoB being the oldest human alive etc.

bcm77
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Totally enough spoiler stuff right there! I KNEW a death was coming in Torchwood... but now Im afraid to find out who. And that I actually don't want to know. :lol It's also interesting that Jack ISN'T from Earth (if I take what you said correctly) and so Wikipedia has some rewriting to do about Jack being human and FoB being the oldest human alive etc.

I can't remember if the world was named but it definitely wasn't Earth so Wikipedia's gonna have to get updated for sure. Both episodes were enjoyable particularly the second one and Martha fitted in very well.

Memnoch
02-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Now I can't wait to see them over here. We are getting Meat this weekend, which means 2 more weeks until I get to see Martha again. But then, around the time Torchwood ends, S4 of Who should be starting.

Blackhole
02-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I can't remember if the world was named but it definitely wasn't Earth so Wikipedia's gonna have to get updated for sure. Both episodes were enjoyable particularly the second one and Martha fitted in very well.

Jack is from the BoeShane Cluster, hence the name The Face of Boe...

Memnoch
02-14-2008, 03:14 PM
And that's where things get tricky, as the Face of Boe was said to be from the Silver Devastation, but Jack is from the BoeShane Peninsula now the BoeShane Cluster...

Darklord Dave
02-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Over a course of a million years the story can get distorted.

Memnoch
02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Or RTD doesn't have the tightest of control. :lol It's just the small continuity things that kill me especially when you have the same people working on the shows.

Darren Carnall
02-15-2008, 05:16 AM
well we're a few episodes in now here in the UK, and I have to say pretty much everything we didn't like about the first season has been fixed. In every episode we've seen so far this year, there hasn't been a single thing we don't like.

This show just became one of our favourites. Gripping powerful (and emotional) stuff in places :rock

(previously we watched and enjoyed it, but always finished with "i WISH they'd change *** and *** and ***")

Blackhole
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
And that's where things get tricky, as the Face of Boe was said to be from the Silver Devastation, but Jack is from the BoeShane Peninsula now the BoeShane Cluster...

We're all right...

The Boeshane Peninsula is a planet in the Boeshane cluster, which is a group of stars in the Silver Devastation galaxy...

Or something like that...

pixletwin
03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
So did you all stop watching or what?

I just got all caught up and I LOVE this show. Any of you UKers watch tonights episode Adrift? What did you think?

Darth Caedus
03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
So did you all stop watching or what?

I just got all caught up and I LOVE this show. Any of you UKers watch tonights episode Adrift? What did you think?

Haven't watched it since the season premier, is martha jones on the show yet?

bcm77
03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I've stopped watching as I've found the last few episodes to be pretty tedious. Torchwood has had one or two good moments but overall I think it's a very mediocre spinoff of Doctor Who.
Darth Caedus,
Martha has been and gone. She was OK in the first couple of episodes that she was in but was underused in the final one.

Darth Caedus
03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I've stopped watching as I've found the last few episodes to be pretty tedious. Torchwood has had one or two good moments but overall I think it's a very mediocre spinoff of Doctor Who.
Darth Caedus,
Martha has been and gone. She was OK in the first couple of episodes that she was in but was underused in the final one.

UH, I'm going to have to watch those couple of episodes then.

Darklord Dave
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
She's in 5,6,7 isn't she? They just finished her here in the US. It was good seeing her again, but I'd agree that she didn't have enough to do.

And I have to say I'm liking this season a lot more than Season 1. I want Capt. John back though.

Memnoch
03-19-2008, 07:09 PM
I keep watching it but it's just whetting the palate for more Who. Martha was really interesting in her episodes and can't wait to see Capt John back in the finale. Almost time for Who though! :chew

Darth Caedus
03-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I keep watching it but it's just whetting the palate for more Who. Martha was really interesting in her episodes and can't wait to see Capt John back in the finale. Almost time for Who though! :chew
But that also means more Catherine Tate....:monkey1

Memnoch
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I think people are going to be surprised. Quite surprised.

bcm77
03-20-2008, 06:02 AM
I think people are going to be surprised. Quite surprised.

If you are referring to Doctor Who and the YouTube video showing the filming of the season finale then you're dead right!!!

Blackhole
03-20-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm on episode 12 now...at least I need to watch it...

But, I didn't like the last couple of episodes...

And I don't think people will be that suprised at the Doctor Who finale...

JABBATHERIDGE
03-23-2008, 03:45 AM
I don't think this series of Torchwood has been that much better than the last to be honest and at times I've only kept watching out of loyalty to the Doctor Who brand.

The last three episodes which were 10, 11 and 12 have all been an improvement on the earlier episodes of the series, but the ongoing presence of Owen is beginning to grate a little bit.

POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER.

A UK tabloid has rumoured that two of the main characters from the team will be leaving after the series two finale. They've said it's Tosh and Owen. Owen might finally do us all a favour and die, but I think Tosh will probably be heartbroken and leave Torchwood because of it. The same story indicated that Martha Jones might return and become a full time member of the team in series three.

It's important to say that this particular newspaper has got it wrong before, but it also reported the death of a Torchwood character before episode six was aired and that was kinda true.

Memnoch
03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I wasnt refering to the finale on youtube just that Catherine Tate I think will be really good in the next series. As for Torchwood.. well I like what I see and think it's a vast improvement. I actually really like Owen this time around and last series I just wanted him dead.

Blackhole
04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, I just watched the finale...

All I can say:

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Well, I just watched the finale...

All I can say:

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

yep...I was shocked as well

brilliant season IMO, much better than the 1st, roll on season 3
starting to like it more than dr. who especially now that he has that annoying sidekick

Darth Caedus
04-05-2008, 05:09 PM
yep...I was shocked as well

brilliant season IMO, much better than the 1st, roll on season 3
starting to like it more than dr. who especially now that he has that annoying sidekick

grrrrrrr, I will watch Who tonight, I really hope I don't want to put my foot through the screen when I see Tate. Will also watch the finale of Torchwood a little later tonight, hope to like that one as well.

grrrrrrr, I will watch Who tonight, I really hope I don't want to put my foot through the screen when I see Tate. Will also watch the finale of Torchwood a little later tonight, hope to like that one as well.

the finale was awesome, amazing how much the series has improved over the 1st season

pixletwin
04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I loved it!

I would really like to see captain john make another appearance in series 3. There was only one thing that bugged me. After being buried for 2 millenia you would think Jack's clothes would have disolved a bit... But his clothes looked like they had been left outside in a rainstorm for a week.

Other than that, I would was really sorry to see Tosh and Owen go. There was really nowhere else their characters could have gone really (especially with Owen. The writers sort of wrote his character into a corner). But I though the send was appropriately awesome and I hope their replacements are just as cool (Martha?)...

Me and my boys are about to watch The series premier of Doctor Who tonight, which I can't wait for.

:rock

Memnoch
04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Well I didn't see the finale yet but I read about it. Have to say I'm curious to see the action. Doctor Who was fantastic though.

Blackhole
04-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I'd like to see Torchwood try to handle some Cybermen...not the crappy Cyberwoman who managed to kill all of 1 person, but actual Cybermen...it'd be cool to see how they handle them without the Doctor...

Darklord Dave
04-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Dammit.
I guess I can't read this thread now until the finale airs here in 2 weeks. So everyone be polite...

Darth Caedus
04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Dammit.
I guess I can't read this thread now until the finale airs here in 2 weeks. So everyone be polite...

Big spoilers in this thread for it yea, so don't read it. White text here **remember, don't quote it or it won't be white anymore**, they guy they got to play gray, I could actually see him as jack's brother too. looked just like him it was creepy.

Darklord Dave
04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Okay, finale has aired.

Spoilers

Have to say I'm not surprised - there wasn't much they could do with Owen anymore, although I thought him raging about wanting to live was a bit out of character. I would think Gray would have gotten away, he'd make a good big bad (and he does look a lot like Barrowman). And here's hoping they bring Hart back as a regular, but I don't see that happening.

Has there been discussion about series 3 or is it definite?

pixletwin
04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Its not clear when/when Torchwood will return.

bcm77
04-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Its not clear when/when Torchwood will return.

I wouldn't shed any tears if it didn't. I really tried to get into it but overall it was like all the issues I have with Nu-Who were turned up to 11 and placed in it's own series.
Aside from Jack the characters were boring/irritating,the writing was mediocre and the adult themes were totally unecessary and always came off as being added just for the sake of it.
Were this a series with no connections to Doctor Who it would never have got past the first series and IMO it doesn't deserve a 3rd.

pixletwin
04-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I pretty much disagree with everything bcm said about Torchwood. :lol

Memnoch
04-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Sorry to say I do too. I rather like it, and I think the final episode was really good. Jack IS becoming more like the Doctor in forgiving Gray and taking his pennance. He seems to only kill when it's life and death (although I may be wrong). And Tosh in this episode was the stand out. I liked the nod that she covered for Owen with the space pig this finally stating that it WAS the same character and her finally message was really touching. I can really see if Jack pops up in DW, Ianto and Gwen will come with and we may get the off reference to Gwyneth. Here's to Toshiko, gone before her time :duff

Darklord Dave
04-20-2008, 04:13 PM

I'd have to disagree as well, but since he hates my favorite Nu-Who episodes it's to be expected.

I remember watching Baker as a child and liking it a lot, but I've tried to watch recently and being turned off by it. I didn't even watch the first season of Nu-Who on Sci-fi after AICN posted a mocking review about how stupid the mannequin episode was.

But after getting into it now I appreciate Torchwood even more. Who and Torchwood are about characters (even Blink is more about the character of Sparrow rather than the monster of the week).

I really hope Torchwood returns - adding Martha would be great, although Gwen is already the "conscience" of the group. Maybe a more hardline UNIT operative with ulterior motives would be a good addition. And I'd like to see Hart back, but he's just another version of Jack, so I don't see that happening.

Oh, and I loved Gray's line "It's all about sex with you people!"

Blackhole
04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
It sure is...:lol:lol:lol

sueworld
04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh, and I loved Gray's line "It's all about sex with you people!"

That was Capt Johns line actually. :lol

I liked the final. Had plot holes the size of tanks as per, but the it wouldn't be Torchwood without them! I thought the poor devil playing Gray was a truly awful actor, and did you notice that they'd over dubbed some of his dialog with JB? Whether that was to make him sound more like Barrowman, or whether it was because they thought his performance was weak, I don't know.

Thought the deaths were handled very well, and thought JM was wonderful as Hart as usual.

Kabukiman
05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Torchwood on Blu-Ray!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torchwood-Complete-Blu-ray-John-Barrowman/dp/B00153NORM

That's a good start. Now how 'bout region 1?

Memnoch
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Seeing the Torchwood USA thread bumped reminded me of this one, can we get this moved but keep the two separate so that those that do not want to be spoiled can have the USA thread and there can be a spoiler thread as well?

pixletwin
09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
This is also in the wrong forum.

OT MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS TO MOVIES/TV. :wave

Old news but not seen mentioned here........third series will be titled 'Torchwood: Children Of Earth

Only a 5 part series though :confused::(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/news/pages/production_news_43_newseries.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/news/pages/production_news_44_newseries.shtml

Kabukiman
12-28-2008, 05:52 PM
If you are outside the UK you will not be able to use bbc.co.uk/torchwood for rights reasons.
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I'm *really* looking forward to this though. The 5 episode thing is weird, I don't get it. You would think, with Who, taking a year off, this would be a great opportunity for Torchwood to take the spotlight (at least with the adult viewers).

copy/paste from links:

Set for broadcast on BBC One in Spring 2009, Russell T Davies has revealed that the third series will be titled 'Torchwood: Children Of Earth'.

The Executive Producer for both Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures as well as Torchwood, Russell T Davies outlined his vision in a tone meeting with key production staff where he told them...

"I usually give you all one or two tone words when we have a meeting like this, but if I were to give you two words this time, they would be 'Euros Lyn'. More than ever before, this series of Torchwood will be director-led, and it will look absolutely amazing."

Consisting of one five-part story 'Children of Earth' will be the first venture into the world of Torchwood for Euros Lyn, who previously directed Doctor Who episodes including 'The Runaway Bride' and Steven Moffat's two-parter 'Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dea

Filming for the third series of the smash hit drama Torchwood, created by Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies, has begun in Cardiff.

Due to transmit in 2009 on BBC One, the series - called Torchwood: Children Of Earth - sees the team embarking on a single action-packed adventure as they battle for the future of the human race against the most fierce force they have encountered.

The highly motivated Torchwood team are John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper, and Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto Jones. Other regular cast involved in their high-octane adventure are Kai Owen as Rhys Williams, Gwen's husband, and Tom Price as PC Andy.

Special guests in the five part series are Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who, The Thick of It, Skins), who plays the role of Mr Frobisher - a civil servant who's hiding a terrible secret; Paul Copely (Coronation Street, The Bill) as Clem - the survivor still haunted by his past and Liz May Brice (Bad Girls, The Bill) as Johnson - the cynical covert government agent determined to expose Torchwood.

Russell T Davies said:

"The new series of Torchwood is hugely bold and promises to be bigger and better than ever - the audience is in for an amazing ride. This series is one big serial and the most ambitious story we've ever made, and we've got plenty of surprises in store."

Julie Gardner, Head of Drama BBC Wales said:

"We hope to make Torchwood a gripping and surprising TV event with storylines that push our team into greater danger and sacrifice. Joining our main cast are some fantastic guest artists who will only add to making this unmissable TV."

The new series is executive produced by Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner. The producer is Peter Bennett (Doctor Who). Torchwood: Children of Earth is written by Russell T Davies, John Fay (Clocking Off, Coronation Street, Mobile) and James Moran (Doctor Who, Torchwood) and directed by Euros Lyn (best director in BAFTA Cymru TV Awards, Doctor Who, George Gently).

Darklord Dave
12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I like the idea of a big, serialized story. But just 5 hours does seem strange. Perhaps Barrowman's getting too much work or something?

Kabukiman
12-30-2008, 06:38 AM
So no Martha and Mickey? :confused: :monkey2

Torchwood: Children of Earth Trailer

<object width="512" height="400"><param name="movie" value="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="playlist=http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/media/emp/playlists/twcoe_trailer_01_low.xml&config_settings_showShareButton=true&config_settings_skin=black&config_settings_bitrateCeiling=600&config_settings_suppressCodec=h264&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></param><embed src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="512" height="400" FlashVars="playlist=http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/media/emp/playlists/twcoe_trailer_01_low.xml&config_settings_showShareButton=true&config_settings_skin=black&config_settings_bitrateCeiling=600&config_settings_suppressCodec=h264&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></embed></object>

Kabukiman
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
"Not available in your area."

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

/heading off to YouTube.

Thanks for the heads up! :chew

Blackhole
02-06-2009, 05:49 PM
What the heck was that? That came out of the blue...

Sweet though...

Darth Caedus
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AizV9vmGG0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AizV9vmGG0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Hmmm, interesting.

Kabukiman
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Season 2 on Blu: http://www.amazon.com/Torchwood-Complete-Second-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B001WAKUP2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238454216&sr=8-3

Finally! :chew

Memnoch
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Did they do Series 1 on Blu? Too bad they won't go back and do Who on Blu but the upscaled DVDs look very nice.

Kabukiman
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Did they do Series 1 on Blu?

They did! USA and UK. I have it and it is beautiful!

Memnoch
03-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Ahhh! Must.. hunt.. down. I just think that going with one solid short arc is a good idea. Torchwood I think would work better as a mini rather then full series. Mini 1 could have been the Suzie arc, Mini 2 could have been Jack's brother and Capt John and they are doing 3 as a Mini.

gdb
04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Okay, so looks like Season three is moving to BBC One. Does this mean there will be less swearing on the show or more?

Memnoch
04-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Okay, so looks like Season three is moving to BBC One. Does this mean there will be less swearing on the show or more?

If it's post-watershed channel doesn't matter but I know it will only be a mini-series this time around which, I've heard, BBC America is none too happy about.

If it's post-watershed channel doesn't matter but I know it will only be a mini-series this time around which, I've heard, BBC America is none too happy about.

considering america get it for free, i don't see why so unhappy

we fund the bbc with the licence fee

Memnoch
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
considering america get it for free, i don't see why so unhappy

we fund the bbc with the licence fee

They're unhappy because Torchwood provides BBC America with their highest ratings ever. They would rather have seen a full series than a mini.

barbelith
04-26-2009, 05:54 PM
They're unhappy because Torchwood provides BBC America with their highest ratings ever. They would rather have seen a full series than a mini.

"Highest ratings ever" still equals a sparrow's fart in a hurricane, unfortunately. Which is probably why BBCA won't stump up for a co-production!

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwWDSeq1PRg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TwWDSeq1PRg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Darth Caedus
06-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Looks awesome, but the 5 parts back-to-back on consecutive days seems old. Would think they would stretch it out for 5 weeks....

Blackhole
07-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Tonight on BBC One peeps...

I'd completely forgotten about this...

Tonight on BBC One peeps...

I'd completely forgotten about this...

back to back episodes mon - fri

day one was great looking forward to day two tomorrow

Memnoch
07-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Sigh, we have to wait til the end of the month!

pixletwin
07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Wellll we don't have to. :monkey3

Blackhole
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
:wave:wave:wave

That's what I like about the UK...

HugeBadWolf
07-10-2009, 02:05 AM
What do we think of CoE now we're near the end?

Didn't expect what happened last night...

Who's gonna make the coffee now? :(

Cheers,
Doug

Darren Carnall
07-10-2009, 04:05 AM
I am LOVING this new Torchwood. And I like having it every day (even if just for 5 days).

The story is brilliant... proper science fiction. The production values are great (lighting, design, music etc)... and everything has enough balance of drama, weight, humour.

It's just damn GOOD!

(not happy about what happened last night though *snif* )

one more night to go!! Damn this is good....

pixletwin
07-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I have enjoyed it.. Can't wait to watch Day Four today. :rock

sueworld
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Brilliant, brilliant television. Today Torchwood outdid Dr Who for me. This was a truly adult drama.

Must see entertainment.

is that torchwood finished forever?

Brilliant, brilliant television. Today Torchwood outdid Dr Who for me. This was a truly adult drama.

Must see entertainment.

100% agree

sueworld
07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
is that torchwood finished forever?

Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on the ratings, which I have to say were very good.

Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on the ratings, which I have to say were very good.

yeah but....

with the base/rift destroyed, Ianto dead, gwen pregnant and Jack away in space it looks all over

Darren Carnall
07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
ok.... I probably can't put into words just how impressed i was with that 5 episode run of Torchwood but I'll try.

it was incredible... amazing television!

Dramatic, heart wrenching, emotional, exhausting, edge of the seat stuff. Simply WONDERFUL!!! That was REAL grown-up drama... a proper science-fiction story... and the best 5 hours if television I've seen in a long time.

Torchwood in the last 5 days gave us something that Dr Who will never do... and made the Dr Who 'specials' seem pretty pathetic. Not special at all. (in comparison... i still love dr who)

I do hope it's not over.... it's science fiction, they can always bring it around if they decide to.... I guess it'll go by ratings and other things... but as a television 'event', as a (possible) finale and send off........... that was simply outstanding.

Hats off to you Torchwood team, you delivered some incredible writing, storytelling, production values, acting, sound design, music.... all wrapped up in an engaging and engrossing package.

i will be buying those 5 hours on Bluray when it's out!!! :rock :rock :rock

Memnoch
07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I read the summaries since my internet cuts out at any moment and I agree.. and cant wait to see it end of the month here. Torchwood 4 is very dependent on the ratings but Jack is ready to travel with the Doctor for a while I think.

Kabukiman
07-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Man oh man, I can not wait! I don't get BBC America, so I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray at the end of the month.

HugeBadWolf
07-13-2009, 04:20 AM
yeah but....

with the base/rift destroyed, Ianto dead, gwen pregnant and Jack away in space it looks all over

Pc Andy?
:lol

Did they say the Rift was destroyed/closed?

Cheers,
Doug

Darth Caedus
07-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Wellll we don't have to. :monkey3

That's the kind of thinking I like. Getting them now, should be done by tonight, hope to watch the first couple today and finish tomorrow.

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree that Torchwood CoE was on a completely different leve than anything in DW this year (although I must say that looks to be changing with Waters of Mars... What a freaky looking episode).

I would be very surprised indeed if Jack ever returned to Torchwood.

Bottom line: It was Five Star Entertainment. :rock

Darth Caedus
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree that Torchwood CoE was on a completely different leve than anything in DW this year (although I must say that looks to be changing with Waters of Mars... What a freaky looking episode).

I would be very surprised indeed if Jack ever returned to Torchwood.

Bottom line: It was Five Star Entertainment. :rock

GAAAAAAAAA, why did I actually read stuff in this thread :banghead:banghead:banghead

pixletwin
07-15-2009, 02:12 PM
GAAAAAAAAA, why did I actually read stuff in this thread :banghead:banghead:banghead

Sorry. I don't think I gave anything malignant away though, so you are still good to go. :)

Darth Caedus
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry. I don't think I gave anything malignant away though, so you are still good to go. :)

No worries sir, I'm just an idioto.

Darth Caedus
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Watched the first episode last night. Didn't know they were an hour each, can't wait to watch the rest. They honestly think they can blow up Captain Jack....I guess they forgot about the part that he couldn't die.

Kabukiman
07-18-2009, 05:06 PM
There's an ad for Children of Men in this week's Entertainment Weekly that states BBCA is now in HD. Looks like my carrier doesn't have it, but heads up to you other guys, maybe you're luckier than I.

It doesn't matter too much though, the Blu-Ray is released on the 28th! :banana

Darren Carnall
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
saw it in HD here in the UK.... stunning to look at

Kabukiman
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Children of Earth arrived today on Blu-Ray!!!! :rock

...but my PS3 is still out for repair (again) :monkey2

Jen
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I just watched Children of Earth for the first time....damn what an ending. I haven't watched Torchwood at all...and noticed they had all 5 episodes of Children of Earth on On Demand...so I watched them all last night...I was glued. Great story line...and again that ending. :google

Kabukiman
08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Just finished Children of Earth. I *really* enjoyed it up to episode 5. That ending, just, I don't know what to say. I know I don't like it, but I think that's the point.

I can do without seeing Jack for a while.

pixletwin
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Yeah the ending was both a huge let down with Jack but on the other hand it was the only way... I think it showed how selfless (and yet cold) Jack could be... Its going to make the series finale of Doctor Who this Christmas that much more interesting to see since it features a post CoE Jack.

*spoiler tag is because it reveals something about Doctor Who finale.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s8/torchwood/news/a186616/russell-t-davies-planning-torchwood-4.html

Kabukiman
12-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Torchwood season boxes on DVD and Blu are Amazon's deal of the day today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Memnoch
12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Torchwood season boxes on DVD and Blu are Amazon's deal of the day today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Thanks for that. Just got both S1 and S2 in Blu Ray.

Darth Caedus
01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
So I'm rewatching Torchwood Season 2 after I watched Children of Earth ( I know, kind of in reverse ), but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any news of a new season. Since everyone's pretty much dead and Jack gone, didn't know if they were even going to be a new season. Was just curious if anybody had heard anything about it.

Nevermind, just read Karma's link a couple of posts up.

Kabukiman
01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought this was discussed here already, but I guess not. Sounds like RTD and Fox are going to try to bring Torchwood state-side: http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/fox-readying-us-version-of-torchwood-.html

Since it's Fox, I expect it to air episodes out of order on Friday nights until it gets cancelled a month into it's run.

Memnoch
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Bad idea. Bad bad bad bad bad idea. Oh and here's a HUGELY bad idea:
Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences

pixletwin
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
It won't happen.

Memnoch
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
It won't happen.

It better not. I don't see what the big deal is with just airing the newer stuff on a channel like NBC or CBS or something. Oh they have accents, whoo-hoo. Caption it for the morons if you must be do NOT reboot. Hell, I even think a US based Torchwood is a bad idea. Doctor Who is uniquely British as is Torchwood in a way that I just think new versions trying to cater to the US will fail miserably.

Kabukiman
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Torchwood is back, baby!!

http://io9.com/5557457/torchwoods-coming-back-at-last-++-and-this-time-its-an-international-affair
:banana:banana:banana

Memnoch
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Torchwood is back, baby!!

http://io9.com/5557457/torchwoods-coming-back-at-last-++-and-this-time-its-an-international-affair
:banana:banana:banana

Sweeet! BBC and Starz co-production!

Sweet Rabbit
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
now I'll wait on the big box set :thud:

after the excellent children of the earth it woulda been a shame for it not to return

Darth Caedus
06-07-2010, 06:06 PM
after the excellent children of the earth it woulda been a shame for it not to return

Hopefully it will keep up with that quality. It would be sad to come back with some Season 1 quality episodes.......

Darren Carnall
06-08-2010, 01:42 AM
if they can make it anywhere near the powerful dramatic briliance of Children of Earth - then it'll be amazing :)

I can't wait. This is great news.

N2k-swb
06-08-2010, 02:26 AM
I ahve only really just started to get into Torchwood properly, i have bought series one and two on a whole but missed Children of earth when it aired on TV. I hope if they do a new series it still ties in with Who even if subtle refrences are made, i enjoy finding things on set that relate to the Doctor.

gdb
06-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Adds creator Russell T. Davies:

It's very much the next step. It's not a new version, it's not a reboot. We're simply moving countries. The show was previously a format show — monster of the week. The breakthrough was "Children of Earth" and that it became one long story. It's not going to be 'Lost' and take 20 years to find out what's going on. It's going to have a most remarkable conclusion after 10 episodes.

Brilliant news!

Darth Caedus
06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised more people arent upset that they are changing countries :huh

Kabukiman
06-08-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised more people arent upset that they are changing countries :huh

You'd leave too if your government tried to blow you up.

not just based in US, they state worldwide and bigger budget

Darth Caedus
06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
You'd leave too if your government tried to blow you up.

Well that's true. Reading around the net, there has been no crazy "it's a british show, leave it where it is" type of nonsense

i also hope they don't sanitise it language etc for US market

Kabukiman
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM

I don't think that will happen thanks to Starz.

Darth Caedus
06-08-2010, 09:25 AM

I don't think that will happen thanks to Starz.

Didn't think of the language, they can get away with more in UK because of the stupid FCC, but like you said, with Starz, that won't be a problem. Since sex was a large part of Torchwood, we might now get some payoff if it's going to be on Starz :rock

Memnoch
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I bet this will be based mostly on the east coast. Why? Because that's the part that Britain used to own. Would make sense to have an old Torchwood post in every old colony.

Darth Caedus
06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I bet this will be based mostly on the east coast. Why? Because that's the part that Britain used to own. Would make sense to have an old Torchwood post in every old colony.

I actually really like that idea, but didn't Queen Victoria establish it in the 1800s (can't remember when Tooth & Claw was set)????

ShadowX81
06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Is Rhys coming back too? No mention of him is in the article.

Matt S
06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Is Rhys coming back too? No mention of him is in the article.

He better be......love that character

Darklord Dave
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Great news, although I hope they don't bawdy it up even more to make it more Starz-worthy.

Kabukiman
08-22-2010, 09:03 AM
The story synopsis has been popping up all over the internet, but I can't find an official source.

When C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy, he finds himself unearthing a threat which challenges the entire human race.

The answers seem to lie within an old, secret British institute, known only as Torchwood. But Torchwood was destroyed, years ago, and the keys to the institute are held by its only two survivors – former Police Officer Gwen Cooper, who has long since disappeared along with her husband and child, and the mysterious Captain Jack Harkness, a man whose history seems to stretch back centuries.

With Rex under attack from all sides, in both the US and the UK, he soon discovers there are forces at work within every level of society, determined to stop Torchwood’s return. As a chain of events across the world links together the most disparate and unlikely individuals – including a surgeon, a killer, senators and CEOs – a new Torchwood team takes shape. But this time, the threat is much closer to home, as they realize that their greatest enemy is mankind itself…

CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS

CAPTAIN JACK HARKNESS (John Barrowman)

Jack looks like a hero. But he's so much more than that...
He's American, handsome, with a killer smile and a classic coat. But you don't expect heroes to be this much fun. He's witty, fast, subversive and there's a reason for that glint in his eye - he'll sleep with women, he'll sleep with men; if aliens invade, he'll sleep with them too. Got a problem with that? Tough!
His dashing style hides a secret. There are mysteries about Jack - a man going under his name seems to have a history stretching back to World War 2, or even earlier, to the Nineteenth century, the Eighteenth...
Truth is, Jack Harkness is immortal. A fixed point in time and space. The only one of his kind. For thousands of years, he has never been able to die. When killed, he comes back to life - seconds later. Though his tragedy is, he feels every death. It hurts - and so does the passage of time. He can never love anyone for too long, because he will always lose them. As a result, he's lived many lives. He's been a conman, a thief, an adventurer - though more a rogue than a villain, because his perspective on human life makes him appreciate this world all the more.
Jack once ran the Torchwood Institute, a British organization dedicated to fighting the strange and bizarre. He was king of his own little world for a while, the happiest he'd ever been. But Torchwood fell. His friends were killed. The Institute closed down, and Jack disappeared, to start yet another of his many new lives. And yet...
The only thing that could call Jack Harkness back is his unstated love for Gwen Cooper. And when a new, epic danger affects the whole planet, Jack finds himself back at the center of events, fighting not just for his own life, but for everyone on Earth. But this time, are the stakes too high?

GWEN COOPER (Eve Myles)

All Gwen wants is a quiet life. Honest.
She's Welsh, lives in seclusion, far away from the city, on a cliff top in the wilds of South Wales with her devoted husband, and baby Anwen - it's a rural idyll.
And it's a lie. Gwen is in hiding, because she once lived the most extraordinary life. She was the heart and soul of an organization called Torchwood, a freelance band of fighters who fought the strange and unexplained. She was a defender of the human race.
But no more. Torchwood was destroyed. Her colleagues died, or fled. And Gwen hid herself away, for the rest of her life, to protect her loved ones. But knowing, just knowing, that one day trouble would come calling again.
She lives the ultimate double life: the funny, salty, earthy woman who loves home and family, combined with the tough, ruthless warrior, who loves the thrill of the fight. She's both selfish and selfless. And never doubt it - when Gwen's in a crisis, she is magnificent. Gun in both hands, baby strapped to her chest, she'll run and fight and never give up.
It's passion, in the end: Gwen's all about passion. She loves her man, she loves her child, she loves this mad old world, and maybe she loves Captain Jack Harkness just a little too much. But when the events of this story push Gwen to the limit, she'll need to call on resources she never knew she had, to take action and make the most terrible decisions, on behalf of all mankind.

REX MATHESON (Actor TBD)

He’s 28, the golden boy. Has been, all his life. Harvard education, fast-tracker in the C.I.A., destined for success. Though he’s never taken it easy – Rex hustles, seduces and campaigns to get where he is today. He can talk his way into anything, then charm his way out, fast. He’s made a lot of enemies, but his friends and lovers would defend him to death.
His choice of career is significant. Someone like Rex could make a fortune in Wall Street, or Hollywood. But choosing the C.I.A. says a lot about him: that for all his swagger, he does believe in justice. And will fight for it.
Slowly but surely, we see him make friends. He’s thrown together a bunch of people known as Torchwood, the only people who might have the answer to a global mystery. To Rex, at
first, they’re a bunch of freaks. Welsh women and World War 2 Captains, what’s that about?! But as they race from one crisis to another, dodging assassins, blackmail, corruption and conspiracy, from Washington to Wales and the slums of Shanghai, Rex forges friendships in the heat of fire. He learns to trust his new colleagues. And they realize that this dangerous, dazzling, reckless man is the best friend they could ever have, in a world going to hell.
They frighten us, men like Rex. We wish we were him; we never will be.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/08/torchwood-new-world-official-synopsis.html

Something Sexy
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I am pretty excited for the new show!

Loved the BBC series.

Something Sexy
03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
SO, with the recent news of Netflix not getting Starz stuff for 3 months after, we have decided to get Starz. With this, Camelot and Spartacus, I need to see them LIVE.

Matt S
03-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Does Starz actually have an HD channel? their streaming lineup looks awful, quality-wise

ProgMatinee
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Recently cancelled the Starz package. 3 shows is not worth $20 a month.

I am excited for the show though.

tcollector
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Dish network just gave me Starz for free for one year. :yess: Hope to catch this and Camelot. Wife and I were bummed when Torchwood ended on the BBC.

Kabukiman
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
SO, with the recent news of Netflix not getting Starz stuff for 3 months after, we have decided to get Starz. With this, Camelot and Spartacus, I need to see them LIVE.

Aw man, that's lame. I'm still gonna hold out for Netflix though. I was able to avoid Children of Earth spoilers until the blu-ray release, I imagine I'll be able to avoid spoilers for season 4 as well.

Something Sexy
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Recently cancelled the Starz package. 3 shows is not worth $20 a month.

I am excited for the show though.

That is a rip off. I get showtime, hbo and starz for $20 a month.

ProgMatinee
03-27-2011, 05:46 AM
It was actually quite a bit of channels, including Starz and Showtime, but I was only watching Spartacus and Dexter at the time. I hardly ever watched any of the movies on those channels.

Wife and I go through about 15 Netflix discs a month, so we were getting plenty of television for $22 a month there. I had to cut some spending somewhere and cable was the easiest place to do it. Wish I could have cut cable entirely, but its baseball season now and my team plays on cable.

Something Sexy
03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Ah yea than that isn't as bad. I know what you mean about cutting cable. I would love to cut cable but the woman wouldn't have that. I will see how long I enjoy the premium channels.

Kabukiman
03-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Ah yea than that isn't as bad. I know what you mean about cutting cable. I would love to cut cable but the woman wouldn't have that. I will see how long I enjoy the premium channels.

I cut the cable last spring and don't miss it one bit. I'll miss it more when the baseball season starts, but with Uecker doing radio out here, I'm better off listening than watching.

I wish MLB.tv would offer local games. :mad:

Something Sexy
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I cut the cable last spring and don't miss it one bit. I'll miss it more when the baseball season starts, but with Uecker doing radio out here, I'm better off listening than watching.

I wish MLB.tv would offer local games. :mad:

Oh yea, with local baseball, the only way to watch it is listen to the radio that is for sure.

Normally I don't need to watch things live unless it is a show I am really into but the woman loves watching her stuff live so she couldn't wait.

Kabukiman
05-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Trailer: http://www.starz.com/originals/Torchwood/ScreeningRoom#/torchwood-miracle-day-trailer
:panic: :panic: :panic:

Let the unsubstantiated "OMG, they americanized it!" _____ing begin! :rock

Something Sexy
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Trailer: http://www.starz.com/originals/Torchwood/ScreeningRoom#/torchwood-miracle-day-trailer
:panic: :panic: :panic:

Let the unsubstantiated "OMG, they americanized it!" _____ing begin! :rock

Why does it say it is unavailable?

Kabukiman
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I dunno, try this one: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiv5xw_torchwood-miracle-day-trailer_shortfilms

Matt S
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Starz cant even stream a quality trailer....hate that company. This looks good, but doesnt feel like Torchwood. More like Torchwood 2.0. I'll see it, of course, but makes me miss the 'old crew' all the same. Hardly even saw Gwen in the trailer....

TheObsoleteMan
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks good, I just wish Ianto and Tosh were still around.

ProgMatinee
05-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Hardly even saw Gwen in the trailer....

Huh? She's in it more than Jack is.

I think it looks pretty good. Cancelled the Starz subscription so will have to wait for netflix.