Hellraiser remake! ... maybe a GOOD thing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occulum

ExeKutioner
Reaction score
looks like the original Hellraiser is next in the remake line.
But it may not be a bad thing. Clive is doing the writing .....

Cinescape said:
According to ... well ... Clive Barker, Clive Barker has signed on to write an upcoming remake of the 1987 horror film HELLRAISER for the Weinstein Co..

Barker wrote on his website, "They're going to remake Hellraiser 1 with a lot more money, and they've invited me to write it—the invitation came from Bob Weinstein—which I am going to do, on the basis that if I don't do it, it will be done in some way that I probably won't like! It's only that one that I really, really, really care about in terms of its remake value—and it'll be kind of fun to have the extra money to do the effects and all that cool stuff."

While Barker has signed on to write the script, it doesn't look likely that he will direct the film.

"I'm excited about it—actually it'll be kinda cool to revisit it once and see if there are things we can do to it which will make it significantly better. ... I wouldn't wish to direct—I only want to write and be a part of the producing team. I wouldn't want to revisit something that I did as a director, something that I did all those years ago: That would be too, in a way, painful—not painful, but weird, difficult, strange. ... I am very happy at the idea of having some more money for the cool stuff—I don't know how much more money, but it's got to be more than the $900,000 that we had the first time!"

while I really dont think it needs to be remade at all, if Barker's in it, Im curious....

If Barker is revisiting Hellraiser on film, I'd much rather see a new work such as D'Amour vs. Pinhead rather than a remake. Exciting news, nonetheless.

Nothing compares to the original. I remember seeing it in the theaters and being blown away by it.

While I don't think a remake is needed, I'll be interested to see what Barker has in mind. It sounds like he's doing a Special Edition. Will Greedo shoot first?

It'd be interesting to see, and I agree with Barker that if he doesn't do it someone else will and it'd probably suck. I don't think you can top the original, but could be interesting to see what he could do with a large budget and advances in film.

This will be interesting to see. I just hope that Pinhead is played by the same actor. After many years, I hope Clive Barker has some new creative Cenobites :devil

No interest.

Hellraiser 1 and 2 are classics.

I can already picture a new CGI Cenobite....<sigh>.

Gruson said:
No interest.

Hellraiser 1 and 2 are classics.

I can already picture a new CGI Cenobite....<sigh>.

Yeah, thats how I feel too. They are perfect films IMO. I guess if Clive is on board there is a chance it wont suck, but only time will tell. And you're probably right about the CGI too.....:yuck
</sigh>

hairlesswookiee said:
maybe this will get sideshow on the ball to get a PF Pinhead or Cenobite in the works.

Thats possibly the only good that can come of this!

Sorry I'm a ney-sayer. Remakes nearly always suck (in my opinion.) I almost never like remakes,especially if I love the original, and I love Hellraiser, no need to go back, how about making NEW ORIGINAL GOOD MOVIES!?

I don't like it, there's nothing wrong with the first two so I see no reason to remake anything. But he's right, if he doesn't do it someone will screw it up beyond what was done in the films since Hell on Earth.
Maybe this time he'll shut the door on the interpretation that the Cenobites come from "hell" and firmly establish that they're merely from another dimension.

Hollywood needs to stop making remakes.

screamingmetal said:
Maybe this time he'll shut the door on the interpretation that the Cenobites come from "hell" and firmly establish that they're merely from another dimension.

Huh? Call me ignorant, but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the cenobites are from hell. Was there a story that suggested otherwise? I'd be interested in reading it :confused:

Kabukiman said:
Huh? Call me ignorant, but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the cenobites are from hell. Was there a story that suggested otherwise? I'd be interested in reading it :confused:
Sith Lord 0498 said:
Yeah, same here. It seems pretty clear that the Cenobites are from another dimension but that dimension IS Hell.
In the original novel and the first two films, it's established that Clive Barker intended it not to be Hell. Barker didn't write Hell on Earth or any of the other sequels.
Read the fourth paragraph here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellbound:_Hellraiser_II
This movie establishes that, despite the series title, the world of the Cenobites is neither Hell nor the afterlife (this is also true in the original novella), but is instead another reality obliquely referred to as "the Labyrinth." This world is not seen again in the later sequels.
I still like the sequels Hell on Earth and Inferno, and I own all the DVDs with the exception of Hellraiser: Hell On Earth (I don't think they ever released this one on Widescreen).
I just feel it makes it more unique to have The Labyrinth established as being another reality and unrelated to Hell.

Well at least we know that this one will be better then the last one, making a movie that sucks even more seems impossible...

And let's hope that this one will stick with real persons in real dresses with real make-up
and that it won't be a cgi fest where you can hardly follow the story because of all the computer generated crap that floods the screen ...

(I'm having van Helsing in mind now ...)

Barker's currently writing a book called the Scarlet Gospels, his final word on the Cenobites and Pinhead, and which he's described as his personal vision of Hell. I think it's safe to say they're from Hell, or close enough to it for it to safely be called that. He's said he didn't interfere much with the second Hellraiser movie, and a lot of stuff in it wasn't from him, though he liked it.

I think it's meant to be left up to interpretation, as far as Barker's concerned.

The Good : Finally, maybe,a Hellraiser movie that wont be made to be ''straight-to-video''.

The Bad: That movie wasnt needed.

screamingmetal said:
I still like the sequels Hell on Earth and Inferno, and I own all the DVDs with the exception of Hellraiser: Hell On Earth (I don't think they ever released this one on Widescreen).
as cheesy as it was I have to watch III every time its on. It was filmed downtown where I live and its always fun to see my HS friends laying around dead in the bar massacre scene.

even if Clive doesnt direct it I hope he does all the art/character design.

I love Hellraiser 3....

Any way, Hellraiser remake? why???? Just make Hellraiser 10 or whatever they are up to...er.

I think it will be a good thing. Anything to get out of the rut of those god-awful stright to video crap movies. As long as Doug Bradley plays Pinhead I am there.

Would love to see these characters done as 12" figures as well! If only the original four.

Back