Want to get into reading comics.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIR

Super Freak
Reaction score
As much of a fan I am of all things Marvel/DC, I've never actually got into reading the comics. I've been going to local comic shops lately, but there is just so much, I don't know where to start. I don't want to just pick up right in the middle of some storyline. Can any of you freaks point me in the right direction? I am interested in starting the Dark Horse "The Star Wars" series. I heard that is supposed to hit on Sept. 4. But are there any other series in particular you guys would recommend? I'd pretty much be interested in anything, so don't hold back.

DC relaunched its entire line of books in late 2011, so you're 23 issues behind in the launch books. They've been slowly cancelling and introducing new books in the meantime. I wouldn't say you HAVE to start at #1 though. Most books (especially when a new creative team comes in), make it fairly easy to jump in every 5-6 issues. If you give me some characters you like, I can try and find a good starting point. For instance, Batman is about 3 issues into his big Year Zero story, which is the official New 52 origin of Batman. It'd be very easy to get those issues and then continue along.

Marvel has been slowly relaunching its entire line too, as opposed to DC that did it all at once. A lot of books are in their first 10 issues, so it's easy to jump into those as well.

It all depends on which characters you like, but right now, I'm loving Captain America by Rick Remender, X-Men by Brian Wood, Superman Unchained by Scott Snyder, and Supergirl by Michael Alan Nelson.

The Star Wars looks fantastic, and will be a limited 8-issue series.

As much of a fan I am of all things Marvel/DC, I've never actually got into reading the comics. I've been going to local comic shops lately, but there is just so much, I don't know where to start. I don't want to just pick up right in the middle of some storyline. Can any of you freaks point me in the right direction? I am interested in starting the Dark Horse "The Star Wars" series. I heard that is supposed to hit on Sept. 4. But are there any other series in particular you guys would recommend? I'd pretty much be interested in anything, so don't hold back.

My advise is pretty simple; start with first issues of any series that perks your attention. If you don't like the plot at the begging, then certainly you are not going to like the history development to the end. It is always good to start with older series of the same graphic novel. This way you do not feel at lost if the storyline gets convulsive and makes reference to old material. I normally try to skip these issues because they get very heavy with scriptural canon and plain boring.

Most comic shops keep old issues in the discount bin for a small fraction of the original retail cost. You can ask the attendants for guidance and even some of the patrons are always surprisingly eager to help. Good luck. :)

Definitely agree on The Watchmen- also wait for the trades to come in for Before Watchmen as well.
Batman Year One
Batman The Dark Knight Returns
All Star Superman
Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk
Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Those I would pick in trades to begin with but there are definitely more worth getting but those would be my starters. For on going issues I would recommend:

Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and art by Andrea Sorrentino-starts at issue 17
Thor by Jason Aaron and art by Esad Ribic-Thor got a "reboot" so they started over and are in only 11 issues so those are easy to find and they just finished the first story arc.
Daredevil by Mark Waid and art by different artists- this is something to get from issue one, they are at issue 29 but its one of Marvels best on going issues to date.
Saga by Brian K Vaughan and art by Fiona Staples-this is an image comic but it's one of the most popular comics that is out now.

Let me know if you decide to pick those up and your opinion on them. Have fun reading. :peace

As far as Batman goes, I actually think you'd be fine starting with issue #21, as they just started the "Zero Year" arc which chronicles Bruce Wayne's beginnings.

Thief of Thieves by Kirkman is also good in my opinion.

If you are not big into super hero stuff and want to try something good and different. I recommend:

Trilium - Issue 1 just launched a few weeks ago, by Jeff Lemire who is fantastic.
The Wake - Only 3 issues in, by Scott Snyder who is on fire right now with Batman and American Vampire.
Lazarous - By Greg Rucka who is know for violent action packed style such as The Punisher.
Saga - You can get trades 1 and 2 that bring you to issue 12 and issue 13 just released a few weeks ago. Awesome Sci-Fi action love story, By Brian Wood.

For superhero stuff, I recommend to get the trades, then start getting the issues. Here is what has been consistently good that I recommend:

All New X-Men - By Brian Michael Bendis
Superior Spiderman - By Dan Slott
Thor - By Jason Aaron
Daredevil - By Mark Waid
Hawkeye - By Matt Fraction
Batman - By Scott Snyder
Justice League - By Geoff Johns

I have learned that you will get more enjoyment following a writer than a Title or Character as well. Try different writers out and find out whose style you like best and see what other titles they write. I have wasted alot of money sticking to a title because it was so well written, only to watch it turn into hammered poo after they changed the creative team (writer / artist).

As of right now, I'm sticking with familiar characters. I picked up the first two issues of Superior Carnage and Superior Spiderman. So far they are pretty enjoyable. I just hate being out of the loop and not knowing what's going on when it mentions plot points from other comics. But keep the suggestions coming, I've got a long road ahead of me :lol

Definitely agree on The Watchmen- also wait for the trades to come in for Before Watchmen as well.
Batman Year One
Batman The Dark Knight Returns
All Star Superman
Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk
Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Those I would pick in trades to begin with but there are definitely more worth getting but those would be my starters. For on going issues I would recommend:

Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and art by Andrea Sorrentino-starts at issue 17
Thor by Jason Aaron and art by Esad Ribic-Thor got a "reboot" so they started over and are in only 11 issues so those are easy to find and they just finished the first story arc.
Daredevil by Mark Waid and art by different artists- this is something to get from issue one, they are at issue 29 but its one of Marvels best on going issues to date.
Saga by Brian K Vaughan and art by Fiona Staples-this is an image comic but it's one of the most popular comics that is out now.

Let me know if you decide to pick those up and your opinion on them. Have fun reading. :peace

Without de-railing the poor OP's thread how is the Green Arrow now the new Creative team have jumped on board??

I tried getting into him at the start of the new52 but I just couldn't get on with it too much & haven't picked up anything since but following the Arrow TV series & picking up the Brightest Day Tie-ins I'm tempted to start again & as I'm more in to the character as a whole now.

Thanks & sorry Webb Head :1-1:

To make up for the derail I'll recommend these as good reads...

Green Lantern - Rebirth
Green Lantern - Blackest Knight / Brightest Day
Marvel Annihilation
Batman - Hush
Batman - Earth One
Superman - Earth One
Batman - Knightfall

The entire Geoff Johns Green Lantern New 52 arc has been my highlight of the reboot.
It's been brilliant but then it wasn't really re-booted & carried on in the same continuity as before but it's all been awesome & the Rise of the Third Army & First Lantern stuff was pretty good IMO
But bear in mind there are 4 books involved here (Green Lantern / New Guardians / GL Corps / Red Lanterns) so getting into these can be expensive
They all crossover at various points as well so IMO you do need to read them all.

Neil

Green Arrow has been awesome since Lemire took over. It's easily one of my favourite titles. I can't recommend it enough. Check it out man.

As for recommendations I also recommend Batman Earth One, I absolutely love it. An awesome new take on Batman while at the same time not changing too much. It's brilliant. Superman Earth One was also really good.

As well as all the other great recommendations already mentioned. I suppose it depends what sort of stuff you want to get into.

Green Arrow has been awesome since Lemire took over. It's easily one of my favourite titles. I can't recommend it enough. Check it out man.

As for recommendations I also recommend Batman Earth One, I absolutely love it. An awesome new take on Batman while at the same time not changing too much. It's brilliant. Superman Earth One was also really good.

As well as all the other great recommendations already mentioned. I suppose it depends what sort of stuff you want to get into.

Awesome stuff thanks Russell I'll definitely check it out now.

No problem man, of course everyone likes different things but I'd definitely recommend checking it out. The art is really great too.

:goodpost:

Totally agree with this post. Green Arrow is definitely worth giving a read.

:goodpost:

Totally agree with this post. Green Arrow is definitely worth giving a read.

Thanks Jeff :)

Well I've pre-ordered the 3rd volume of the TPB at Amazon as it collects issues 14-20 so gives me a little background before the new team start at 17

Looking forward to it.

Neil

EDIT - Only thing I'm still not really sold on is the new look.

I still want him to look like this...

17912_900x1350.jpg

Back