Jpsarri's comicbook video reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsarri

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Jean Paul but my friends call me JP. You might know me by my forum name: jpsarri. Like many of you, I have always had a passion for graphic novels, super heroes and heroines. Since I remember, back in the 80's as a young boy I spent countless hours going throught my father's old comics collection even without his permission (thanks dad!) and I devoured page after page of extraordinary worlds, damsels in distress and princes in disguise.

My early contact with this facinating universe has left a remarkable mark in my life that up to this day is and continues to be the driven force for everything I do. Loyalty, friendship, honor, hard work, imagination, just to name a few, are some of the values that graphic novels have bestowed upon generations of young boys and girls all over the world, from different social, economical and religious backgrounds. Comics have the power to build and to change a young reader's mind.

My desire for opening this thread is to share with you what has been shared with me. My video reviews are not quick glances but they are not a college exegesis either. They are intended to inform and to entice viewers to appreciate and to support the comics and its creators. My main focus is to review Comics collections, Omnibuses, Absolute Editions, etc. And my taste is very eclectic, so it ranges from Marvel to DC, Image to Dynamite and everything in between.

Thanks for checking this thread out and welcome to my world. Let's have some fun!! ;)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the review. I always go to youtube reviews before buying omnibuses without prior knowledge. I own maybe 10+ omnibuses or so, only one I've read completely thus far is Hulk volume 1.

So what reviews can we look forward to from you in the future?

Awesome, thanks for the review. I always go to youtube reviews before buying omnibuses without prior knowledge. I own maybe 10+ omnibuses or so, only one I've read completely thus far is Hulk volume 1.

So what reviews can we look forward to from you in the future?

That would be a surprise but I already posted some video reviews on my youtube channel and I have some others in the making. In the next couple of days I will post those videos in here and every video as soon as they come out.

Thanks for checking the thread out.:yess:

JP, I have a couple questions for you. Looking for some comics or artwork to display with a couple of pieces.

It's for the Kotobukiya Thor, Venom, and the Colossus I have on the way. I still can't believe I won it off ebay for almost retail price but it's mine now. Definitely looking for some recommendations to display it with. Thanks for your time.

JP, I have a couple questions for you. Looking for some comics or artwork to display with a couple of pieces.

It's for the Kotobukiya Thor, Venom, and the Colossus I have on the way. I still can't believe I won it off ebay for almost retail price but it's mine now. Definitely looking for some recommendations to display it with. Thanks for your time.

First of all, congratulations on colossus!! I'm still searching for him at a decent price.

Although we consider this statue a Jim Lee version (you can't go wrong in displaying it that way):

023_zpsdcae9ddd.png
022_zps04b03cb3.png
021_zps9bb5a83d.png

The pose and the exagerated anatomy takes inspiration on Chris Bachalo's Bloodlines:

002_zps90cb4a0b.png
001_zpse91fe65c.png
003_zps62f0eacc.png

You can find plenty covers and prints of the interpretations of both artists even in full scale, everywhere.

Last edited:
For Venom you have three options.

The art of McFarlane. Here it is his most iconic cover:

The art of Erik Larsen:

Or the art of Mark Bagley:

005_zps24983067.png
010_zps21fe6504.png
008_zps40aab60d.png

Of course, there is plenty art and prints derivated from these covers.

Last edited:
Now, Thor is very tricky because there has been plenty of iconic covers made by multiple artists over the years since his introduction on "Journey into mystery" #83 ( I don't have the cover right this minute). With him is all about personal preference.

Jack Kirby:

Thor177.jpg
Thor132.jpg

John Buscema:

Thor233001.jpg
Thor195001.jpg

Last edited:
And my personal favorite, Walt Simonson:

And as you can see, in the corner is the little image that Sosa used as reference for the statue's pose. Right now I don't remember the particular issue where this was taken from.

Last edited:
Wow. Completely blown away by the amount of amazing choices you provided. Time to do some hunting.

Also, amazing job on the Magneto video. As of right now I think it is Erick's 1a with Spiderman being his 1b. But I just have a feeling Hulk will trump both. Not to take anything from the other pieces but Hulk looks big, detailed, and it has a bit of personality to it. That's one thing I love about Erick's work, is that all of his pieces show emotion.

Wow. Completely blown away by the amount of amazing choices you provided. Time to do some hunting.

Also, amazing job on the Magneto video. As of right now I think it is Erick's 1a with Spiderman being his 1b. But I just have a feeling Hulk will trump both. Not to take anything from the other pieces but Hulk looks big, detailed, and it has a bit of personality to it. That's one thing I love about Erick's work, is that all of his pieces show emotion.

I completely agree. Sosa's art has a lot of soul.

Hello Freaks!!

If there is team that deserves a homage in the pantheon of superheroes, there is no other more worthy than the Fantastic Four. This "fantastic" bunch has contributed to the allure of the Marvel universe more than any other and continues to do so up to this very day.

Now, if there is a writer and an artist that deserves the credit for the survival of this comic book, look at no other than John Byrne. Loved and hated, revered and dismissed, those are the adjectives that describe the prolific life work of this great author and penciler. But one thing is for sure, regardless of what type of feelings you have towards Mr. Byrne, there is a sense of awe for all of his accomplishments and for his greater impact to the world of comics.

Here it is, The Fantastic Four by John Byrne vol. 1 Omnibus review:

The Fantastic Four by John Byrne Vol. 1 Omnibus Video Review - YouTube

The Fantastic Four by John Byrne Vol. 1 Omnibus Video Review - YouTube

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
Purchased the Colossus Bloodlines 5of5 cover and received it today. Colossus should be here Saturday. Can't wait. Thanks again. And also, what other statues do you have. Or are you able to take a pic of your entire collection? I'm ready to make some requests. When the kids and wife are asleep I usually watch your reviews or Remy's reviews on the 360 before I game and I'm running out of material :)

Purchased the Colossus Bloodlines 5of5 cover and received it today. Colossus should be here Saturday. Can't wait. Thanks again. And also, what other statues do you have. Or are you able to take a pic of your entire collection? I'm ready to make some requests. When the kids and wife are asleep I usually watch your reviews or Remy's reviews on the 360 before I game and I'm running out of material :)

That is the best choice of cover in my opinion. It will look great with the statue.

Since last year, I've been downsizing my collection. It used to be very big but it felt awkward and without a proper theme. I love Remy's approach to collecting, he only does X-Men and stays on track. I wanted to do the same and finally decided to make a change. I have gotten rid of almost every Sideshow and PopCulture Shock piece (Marvel PF's, Comiquettes and Street Fighter pieces). I regret not having enough pictures or videos of some of my old pieces. Right now, I am sticking with 1/6 scale figures (with some little exceptions here and there) and I have found Sosa's work very dynamic and spectacular. Bowen is still high on my list and I am looking forward to keep adding more of their pieces into my collection. I am also getting into Gentłe Giant, C.S. Moore and DC Direct (I haven't review some of their statues yet).

Three years ago, we moved back to this area to be closer to my wife's family. The house we are living now is smaller so I don't have a proper room like in the old house to display my collection in its entirety. Most of my collectibles are in boxes for now in storage. Once in awhile, I unbox them and switch the display a bit next to my computer desk. Hopefully next year (if everything goes according to plan), we'll buy a house so I can build my "dream man cave" so I can display my statues, die cast models and to set up a game room.

This is the second time in my life that I had to kinda start from scratch when it comes about collecting. First one back in 2004 when I got married and I sold all of my collection (mainly DC, Hard Hero and Diamond Select pieces) to get some wedding money, and right now. Good thing I'm a veteran in the game so it pays off to know the hobby and the trends, just in case I have to sell again. ;)

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I had a nice collection in 2005 and I was only 19 at the time and of course did things 19 year olds do and I had to sell and restart all over again. But the quality has increased since 2005. I thought about doing something similar to what Remy does but I love way too many things to stick to just one group. But not to derail too much, I love the videos and I'm loving the pieces you've gathered so far. You should turn this thread into JPSarri's Reviews and Q&A because you are indeed a well informed person sir.

I owe you the pics for now, but stay tuned I have some surprises coming your way! :)

Back