Jedi + OT= Shogun, Jedi + PT = ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Something I hit on in a post at Rebelscum that, to me, illustrates why the Jedi in the PT seem so much different from what we saw in the OT. The orginal design for the story of Star Wars (A New Hope) was a Kurasawa film (The Fortress?). The Jedi were supposed to be shogun/samurai like. In the PT the Jedi seemed more politco-monks than worrior monks..

DISCUSS!:emperor

(Don't mind me, weird mood today.):rotfl

I guess if "politico-monks" means stale acting and unlikeable characters. :lol

Oh, and OT+PT=SW, just in case. :D

Oh I know the equasion and I fully support it but it seems the Jedi we got between the two trilogies are very different and I think I finally hit on it. The Jedi were guardians, warriors, but also very monk like. THAT was the big thing that destroyed Anakin. In the PT we never really saw that. In the PT we saw more of the Jedi as glorified Peace Corp sent in to resolve disputes that politicians couldn't. There should have been another way to show the Jedi as the guardians of the Republic than throwing them into political arenas.

I believe stale acting corresponds to all 6 films.

nash said:
I believe stale acting corresponds to all 6 films.

Maybe, but I don't think I have ever seen Harrison Ford or Alec Guiness as stale. The banter in the OT is far superior to the emotionless drivel in the PT. I was actually being sarcastic with the "Famous Star Wars" equation, I don't care for the PT much.

As for the differences, well I think that for the most part it was being written by the seat of Lucas' pants (quite possibly literally), and never really fit that well together. The Jedi order at its finest was one of the major elements I was really looking forward to, instead I found myself lacking any form of connection with them, and by ROTS actually rooting against them.

Blah!

I think the game "Order of the Jedi" was the best description.

There were three main types of Jedi.. Sentinal, Guardian, and Something else.(I can't remember the third)

One was like a police officer/ enforcer

One was like a monk/politican

and One was well.. a Guardian of the force/peace.

Of course I could be twisting it all aound. :D

I appreciate both OT and PT for what they are. I was born in '79 so I grew up with the OT and watched them hundreds of times. They are what first goes through my head when someone says Star Wars.

But I do love the PT as well, for the modern effects and intricate saber duels.

I never watched any Star Wars film specifically for "good acting".

nash said:
I never watched any Star Wars film specifically for "good acting".

:lol YOu and I both have something in common then! I like all the 6 SW movies but pretty much all the acting is just aweful. You'd think after having a decade to work on the new trilogy, Lucas would find himself a better script writer. :rolleyes:

aside from the acting, it is hard to compare since there were only 3 jedi in the OT....never heard much from Obi or Yodi so really only Luke.

accept SW for what it is....it's a movie, why must we break it down and try to look at it's parts. a mov-ie.

Vader AL said:
....it's a movie, why must we break it down and try to look at it's parts. a mov-ie.

I think we've reached a point where SW isn't just considered a movie anymore, but more or less an entire franchise (some call it an entire universe of its own :rotfl ) :D

LOTRFan said:
Maybe, but I don't think I have ever seen Harrison Ford or Alec Guiness as stale.

Guess you haven't seen any of Fords movies from the past 15 years.

There several actors whos acting were far from stale in the PT: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee to name a few.

Vader AL said:
it's a movie, why must we break it down and try to look at it's parts. a mov-ie.

It gives virgins something to talk about in thier mommys basements while they're not out getting any from chicks.

EVILFACE said:
Guess you haven't seen any of Fords movies from the past 15 years.

There several actors whos acting were far from stale in the PT: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee to name a few.

You know, truth be told, I haven't (aside from Clear and Present Danger)! :lol :rotfl But the Ford from that era, complete with patented smirk and charm can hardly be compared with any of the PT characters, for my $$$ only McDiarmid comes close - though his "no, no, no moment" in ROTS was off the rickter scale for cheesiness.

Ah well, as long as you like what you are watching, more power to you. :D

The Ford from that era looked like he actually enjoyed acting. The one after Indy 3 doesn't.

And I liked the no no no bit lol. Empy was a crazy mofo.

carbo-fation said:
I think we've reached a point where SW isn't just considered a movie anymore, but more or less an entire franchise (some call it an entire universe of its own :rotfl ) :D

yeah you're right. speaking of which the new book "Darth Bane: A Path of Destruction" is awesome...I least I thought so. if you've played KOTOR you'll recognize a lot of people/places/events...if not it's still a great read.

Something esle to take into account, The jedi in the OT are refered to by Lucas as " grumpy old men reminiscing about their glory days" for ben and yoda And " a barely trained, half skilled boy" for luke. And as we all know, the "good old days" are allways better in our memories than they ever were in reality.

To me, the jedi of the PT are very much like the samurai of the 19th century. A rigid warrior society that was unable or unwilling to adapt to changing times, and it eventually lead to their downfall.

"Bargain rather than fight, he's no jedi"
From Bibs piont of view i guess that jedi of old were quite the warriors and would have ran into jabba palace with lightsaber held high instead of bagaining.
I reckon will get to see the jedi at jabba palce in the new clone wars, as there a shot of 3 magna guards in front of jabba palace.

Wow talk about Necro :lol but yea Obsolete, your assessment might be the closest for the PT Jedi, Samurai that caused their own defeat but I stand by that OT Jedi are very Shogun like.

Back