clothes will not dye?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hidden Jitsu

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm having trouble changing the colour on a few garments
and the colour will no stick at all.
I'm using Dylon hand dye , does anybody have any info on this?
Am i doing something wrong or am i using the wrong dye?
As i just follow the instructions on the packet.

Thanks in advance

Jay

If they are made from synthetic material you will not be able to dye them with traditional dye. iDye makes some for synthetics but it has a limited color choice.

From Dylon's website: "Cotton, linen and viscose will dye to the full shade shown on the pack Mixtures of these with polyester will result in lighter shades. Polyester, Nylon and other synthetics can not be dyed. Wool and silk can be dyed with DYLON Hand Fabric Dye."

The Dylon hand dye doesn't work on synthetic materials. (I've tried too :lol). Their Multi-Purpose Dye works on natural fabrics, nylon and Lycra.
I haven't tried it yet, but iDye Poly is suitable for polyester and nylon. :)

Cheers guys.
Well i only wanted black to be honest.
But stupid question how do you know the material as they do not
have labels on like regular clothes.
I got angry and coloured the jeans in black with a marker and the went shiny LOL!
Also i need to dye black overhalls blue and orange can the dye be removed?

Hello,

This is a very useful thread you've started Hidden Jitsu. I've been looking for a way as well to turn the HT Barney Ross Expendables 2 brown pants into a light green color. I think they're a mix of fabric and polyester as someone suggested.

I'd figure one would have to remove the existing color first. Would the iDye color remover work for that type of blend and is there a way to combine 2 colors to achieve this specific tone?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
From Dylon's website: "Cotton, linen and viscose will dye to the full shade shown on the pack Mixtures of these with polyester will result in lighter shades. Polyester, Nylon and other synthetics can not be dyed. Wool and silk can be dyed with DYLON Hand Fabric Dye."

The Dylon hand dye doesn't work on synthetic materials. (I've tried too :lol). Their Multi-Purpose Dye works on natural fabrics, nylon and Lycra.
I haven't tried it yet, but iDye Poly is suitable for polyester and nylon. :)

dye called "I dye poly" you can mix colors and everything it dyes poly, nylon, spandex aka lycra has either nylon or poly in it.

Rayon aka viscose you need to be careful this is a fiber that is made from wood pulp, water ruins them so depending on which rayon you have will depend if it's water safe. fabric called sandwash rayon, cerise, and lycra blends are safe to dye with rid and idye for natural fibers. general rule of thumb if it feels like silk be careful if you can see through material the more opaque it is the safer it is to dye. more translucent the thinner the wood pulp fiber easier it falls apart.

I dye has a disclamer since some poly and nylon is combines with a natural fiber can be tricky, and or if some plastics (track suits wont dye at all they will simply dissolve into nothing in the boiling water) are blended and since toy companies don't disclose the fiber content for cleaning even you wont know for sure.

I will say this if you have a shiny spandex you are warned because this will no longer be shiny if you use a poly/nylon dye it will make them matte I speek from personal experience. t-shirts that are stretchy dye perfectly no probs, jumpsuits same thing. never ever throw spandex into dryer this will melt fibers or shrink items that's why they say air dry on stretch jeans.

I have seen dylon in blicks and have used it on rayon that gives good crisp colors so does I dye naturals. rite sucks don't use it unless its a last result because you have to use salt to secure dye and salt can damage some fibers.

Someday their will be a requirement for fiber content on the box but not for a long while unless some kid dyes and their allergic and put it in their mouth. rayon might cause this since some kids have high allergins to tree's and tannins

Last edited:
Totally welcome and feel free to look for more color on that site. they have every dye imaginable

Back