House of Leaves "Spoilers"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
I thought this book certainly could deserve it's own thread. Has anyone else read this? I'm not sure if I liked it, am amazed by it, or what? It's a LOT to take in. I'm just curious if any of you have read it and what your thoughts were?

Hmmm...does sound interesting, sounds a bit frustrating to read by the wiki description:

House of Leaves is the debut novel by the American author Mark Z. Danielewski, published by Pantheon Books. The novel quickly became a bestseller following its release on March 7, 2000. It was followed by a companion piece, The Whalestoe Letters. The novel has since been translated into a number of languages.

The format and structure of the novel is unconventional, with unusual page layout and style, making it ergodic literature. It contains copious footnotes, many of which contain footnotes themselves, including references to books, films or articles that do not exist.[1] Some pages contain only a few words or lines of text, arranged in strange ways to mirror the events in the story, often creating both an agoraphobic and a claustrophobic effect. The novel is also distinctive for its multiple narrators, who interact with each other throughout the story in disorienting and elaborate ways.

While some have attempted to describe the book as a horror story, many readers as well as the author would define the book as a love story. Danielewski expands on this point in an interview: "I had one woman come up to me in a bookstore and say, 'You know, everyone told me it was a horror book, but when I finished it, I realized that it was a love story.' And she's absolutely right. In some ways, genre is a marketing tool."[2]

House of Leaves has been described as a "satire of academic criticism."[3]

It's a crazy book with many riddles and codes mixed into the pages. That's already on top of the crazy story and the way some of the pages are laid out.

I read it maybe 6 years ago. It freaked the hell out of me. Even reading during daylight hours I sometimes got chills and was nervous walking around the house. :monkey4

Back