First Paint-Up!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchmittyJames

Super Freak
Reaction score
Alrighty folks, here is my first try at painting a 1/6 head.

image_zpsf21fe410.jpg

I have no knowledge with what I've gotten myself into so here are some questions!

What is the best lacquer for 1/6 heads? I'm not using any and I'm regretting it because my paint is coming off.

Eyes! How the hell do you make a perfect circle?!

I'm using liquitex paint, is this fine or should I say away?

Please give me some constructive critisicim!

:peace

Last edited:
Very nice work! Particularly for a first effort.
Eyes--I do mine with corrections. First try to get the dark grey or black (part) circle with the fine brush, paint wet enough/not too wet. Then when dry scrape the circle perfect with the point of a small craft knife (Stanley disposable, i love em). If necessary touch up the white (light grey, actually).
I also like to scrape the inside of the circle, to give an even thickness of the black iris periphery. (the extra scraping not necessary if your iris colour is opaque enough to cover the black).

Of course, when doing this it helps if you have a magnifier. I don't need one, I just take my specs off and can focus to five inches.

Really nice work SchmittyJames! I can tell you it's 100 times better than my first head paint attempt! :D

I think the key to painting is just taking lots of practice and seeing what works and what doesn't. I also know that mixing the right color is also key because most paints dry a shade lighter or darker depending on the brand used too. And getting those pupils perfectly round is the hardest thing to do, but that's where the soul of the head paint is at. Good job!

Very nice work! One thing that helps with eyes (especially squinty ones) is to rim the bottom of the eye in a darker pink color and the upper lid with black. This helps give the impression of the top and bottom of the eye and leaves a transition between the flesh of the face and the whites of the eyes.

Looks really good eyes are a pain but get easier with practise.
Using a fine brush or needle in some cases where the eyes are really squinty helps sometimes aswell.

Yeah I just used a pin for the white of his eyes.

Here's some updated pictures with better lighting for the colors.

09ebca83-d9fb-40cc-89a0-0f1cc4705257_zps6e86b26d.jpg

27f01fc5-378d-4cf8-a7b3-9ec3bc27b3c0_zps46858289.jpg

Last edited:
Liqitex is what I use, with the airbrush medium to thin them. Your pair job looks good. Well done.

Back