ANH Vader Helmet mod

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordRagnar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all, I am offering the service of modifying any Vader helm to a more accurate ANH version, complete with satin (not gloss) paint. Please feel free to P.M. me with details or if you want to send me a helm to mod. Heres a few pics of the process

I did a similar mod myself, but wanted to keep the surface quality of the Hasbro dome, which IMO has just the right amount of sheen for ANH helmet. The only reason the helmet seemed duller in some shots was that the camera crew had to put dulling spray on it to stop unwanted reflections, for the most part it was glossy just not super reflective like it was in Empire.
DarthVader_zps30c9ab29.jpg

DARTHVADER4_zpscec39213.jpg
DARTHVADER1_zps696651a9.jpg

DARTHVADER2_zps5c8d0b73.jpg
DARTHVADER5_zpscad9da76.jpg

DARTHVADER3_zps631b5a32.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so Im gonna morph this thread into the ANH vader body mod as well, Heres some pics of the cut down gloves, next up is the body lengthing, to give him more height.

I cant speak for rorywan, thats his vader in the large clear pics. I believe he may have used an aftermarket cape, but youll have to ask him. The vader I am working on is for Bmarz and I believe he IS going to use a Meis cape, as it is superior in every way to the sideshow cape. More on the body lengthening and some better pics to come shortly

Hah , right you are good buddy! :slap

So shortening was easy, I simply unscrewed the abdomen and took out the upper section, then cut the little barbell, bridged it with brass tubing for strength. I used orings on either side of the "new" abdomen to tighten it up and provide a nice poseablity to it.

Hi,

By using the original SS body, I was able to shorten the height of ANH Vader by trimming part of the top of the head (mask), now even when the helmet is put on, it stands about 13.8 inch tall.
Does anyone has any idea to narrow down the same body shoulder as it is too wide for Vader. I am abit hestitate to swap the body now. Any suggestion is most welcome!

You might need a new torso if you want to make the shoulders less wide looking. Or if you're willing to do a bit of extra surgery, then maybe cut the torso in half, trim the cut edges down by a few mm, then reattach the two halves? Of course, that would then mean having to trim the neck piece as well. If you do go down that route, I suggest epoxy resin as your adhesive. Takes 12 hours or so to dry, but worth it for the strong bond.

Have a browse on this thread if you haven't done so:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5887975#post5887975
If you're looking to shorten your Vader, there's tons of ideas. Some things I did were to shorten the neck ball joint and shave down Vader's head and the inside of his dome with a dremel. That cuts down the height by a good few mm.

Last edited:
Looks great!!! The Hasbro dome (now with authentic ANH widows peak) is the way to go! Great job!
My question is how did you get the SS cape to look so good??
I cant speak for rorywan, thats his vader in the large clear pics. I believe he may have used an aftermarket cape, but youll have to ask him.
That looks like a Tony Meis cape.
Thanks and yes, that's Tony's cape, I highly recommend it.
:duff

Back