• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Another scam from an ebay seller

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this has happened to anyone before, but early last month I bought a HT DX 11 from Ebay. In my haste I forgot to check his feedback which was 0, stupid mistake on my part. Anyway, the seller sends me a tracking number. As I track it, a few days later the item says delivered. BUT, I had the item sent to my work, and we are closed on the day it was supposed to have be delivered. I thought ok, Ill get it the next day. Well, the item never came. I asked our mail carrier if he had delivered the package, he said no. I started to panic. I contacted the seller, no response. I had the post office investigate, they check our mail carrier's scanner, sure enough he never scanned the package, so they found out that a different carrier had scanned it way across town. Well this turned into a 3 week ordeal trying to figure out what happened. I don't know how the post office by my house (a different city) got my case, but I finally got to talk to the postmaster. She told me exactly what happened to the package. I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but they take pictures of all tracked items, but only the postmasters have access to this. Anyway, she informed me that the package was sent to a In and Out burger address in the city I work in way across town from where I work. The package was a flat priority mail envelope, obviously not the HT DX11, and it had no name addressed to it. To me it sound like the seller intended to rip me off. I immediately contacted ebay. They told me that if I got a police report they would refund my money. Well. I went to the police, and they told me they cant do that because there is no proof that the seller did it with intent to rip me off, so no proof of crime. They suggested I sue the guy since the post office will back me up. That will be my last resort if ebay doesn't get my money back. Sorry for ranting, but I am super pissed, and don't want this to happen to anyone else.

You should file a claim... eBay will cover you, as it was not shipped to the address you provided.

Can't Paypal do anything?

The whole ordeal sounds like a pain in the ***

Unfortunately, I did file a claim with ebay and they sided with the seller because he provided a tracking number. Ebay doesn't care, they didnt investigate as they said they would. Their decision was based solely on the tracking number that said "Delivered". I should have lied and told them I got the wrong item or something like that.
Can I file with paypal even though I file with ebay already?

It works both ways with Ebay and tracking. I once sent a $1500 item without tracking to a P.O. box. Guy says he never got it, but I check with the Post Office and they put a pickup slip in his P.O. box to pick up my insured package. He SIGNS the slip and gets the $1500 item. Then makes a Ebay/Paypal claim saying he didn't get it. Ebay sides with him because there was no tracking (Just a goddamned slip with his signature on it that you sign when you get the package) and I'm out $1500!!

I would edit your first post soon, you don't want to give any lurkers an idea on how to scam people that's foolproof with EBAY.

Sorry to hear this. It's always a risk on eBay but the normal rule is if it's too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

But I've never heard of this before. Normally, eBay protects the buyer very well. There have been a few cases where guys on here have had the same deal but were sent rubber bracelets but they all got refunded. I'm surprised that eBay did not find in your favour as postage costs, weigth and photos would all indicate that that you've been scammed.

As a last resort, you can go to your bank and file a fraud claim. They should also be able to refund the money.

That's crazy. How can they side with the seller when it wasn't evetsent think the right address?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear this. It's always a risk on eBay but the normal rule is if it's too good to be true, then it's too good to be true.

But I've never heard of this before. Normally, eBay protects the buyer very well. There have been a few cases where guys on here have had the same deal but were sent rubber bracelets but they all got refunded. I'm surprised that eBay did not find in your favour as postage costs, weigth and photos would all indicate that that you've been scammed.

As a last resort, you can go to your bank and file a fraud claim. They should also be able to refund the money.

I usually follow that rule. But I had a great deal with a fellow board member. I was supposed to get him a DX11 figure and he was giving me 2 figures I really wanted. So I jumped at the ebay deal, which as you said it was too god to be true.

I just found out this morning the details of what happened to the package (This happened May 31st, I file a claim on June 12th after trying to get the post office to investigate). The postmaster told me she cant release the pictures unless it's court ordered. Im not even supposed to know this, she told me out of courtesy. I'm going to call her back tomorrow (Later on today), and see if I can get anything saying the mail was never delivered to the mailing address in the sale. I just need something official stating that, and I think I can have ebay's decision overturned.

That's crazy. How can they side with the seller when it wasn't evetsent think the right address?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

That's the whole point. As I stated earlier, Ebay doesn't investigate anything. The tracking was enough for them. See, the tracking only says it was delivered to the city, not to what address. The postmaster told me to ask them to call her. They denied it, they told me "they don't make phone calls". I feel like closing my ebay account after this. My only recourse might be to sue the guy, small claims court. The post office will back me up.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about this. funny i was just recently telling another freaks board member how i got scammed under similar circumstances. if the traditional methods of recovering your money dosent work (ie pay pal, ebay, credit card company) theres always filing it as fraud through your bank (the account your money originated from to send the payment) in extreme cases i have been compensated through the banks fraud department. good luck man. hope you get your cash back.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone before, but early last month I bought a HT DX 11 from Ebay. In my haste I forgot to check his feedback which was 0, stupid mistake on my part. Anyway, the seller sends me a tracking number. As I track it, a few days later the item says delivered. BUT, I had the item sent to my work, and we are closed on the day it was supposed to have be delivered. I thought ok, Ill get it the next day. Well, the item never came. I asked our mail carrier if he had delivered the package, he said no. I started to panic. I contacted the seller, no response. I had the post office investigate, they check our mail carrier's scanner, sure enough he never scanned the package, so they found out that a different carrier had scanned it way across town. Well this turned into a 3 week ordeal trying to figure out what happened. I don't know how the post office by my house (a different city) got my case, but I finally got to talk to the postmaster. She told me exactly what happened to the package. I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but they take pictures of all tracked items, but only the postmasters have access to this. Anyway, she informed me that the package was sent to a In and Out burger address in the city I work in way across town from where I work. The package was a flat priority mail envelope, obviously not the HT DX11, and it had no name addressed to it. To me it sound like the seller intended to rip me off. I immediately contacted ebay. They told me that if I got a police report they would refund my money. Well. I went to the police, and they told me they cant do that because there is no proof that the seller did it with intent to rip me off, so no proof of crime. They suggested I sue the guy since the post office will back me up. That will be my last resort if ebay doesn't get my money back. Sorry for ranting, but I am super pissed, and don't want this to happen to anyone else.

I am confused. Wouldn't the tracking# show it was at Flat Priority Mail envelope? It always lists the type of package. Clearly its not a DX11. Did you file a PayPal claim? Just because it says delivered doesn't mean anything, regardless you didn't get the item.The same thing once happened to me (bought from China). The tracking# showed delivered but I got nothing at all. I opened a Paypal claim and pointed out that the the tracking # said "letter" and mine was supposed to be a package. Paypal sided with me and I got a full refund.

Was the total cost OVER $249.99 that you sent? He has to send it with signature that way if it was.........

I am surprised to hear that ebay sided with the seller. As a seller, I was the one to be given the responsibility to get an item to a buyer even though his not getting it was his fault. It is why I quit selling on ebay, because they simply took it too far with me. I sent a figure to a knucklehead in Long Beach. It got to his post office two days after I sent it. A month later, he filed a claim and I was tasked with resolving the issue even though the tracking number showed that it got to his post office a month earlier. Fortunately, the package was still there. That post office told me they gave him 3 notices to pick up the item and he never did. It was just luck on my part that the post office never sent it back to me.

This is scary, I hate that so many predators have migrated to this hobby do to prices. This is another reason to check feedback before you buy and is one of the main reasons I prefer buying my collectibles from e-tailers like bbts and the like over ebay and the boards.

With online retailers you know what to expect, on ebay and sales threads you get a different person each time, you offen don't know if they ship fast, pack well, scam, list items acturatly and so on. I haven't had any issues on the boards or ebay personally but have heard enough horror storys to proceed with caution:panic:

Just the simple fact that Paypal/EBay always tell sellers they have to send to addresses associated with the payment makes me think eBay isn't getting the full story here. From my understanding, you (buyer) should certainly be covered if the item is sent to the wrong address. Take it to Paypal if EBay isn't helpful. They're owned by the same company but have some different policies.

Back