Clonetrooper Ranks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pzrwest

Freakzoid
Reaction score
What is the rank structure for clonetroopers? Also how is the rank displayed? I have seen some troopers with a series of dots on the left breast, is this the rank insignia? Thank you in advance.... Harold

Phase one clones are shown by colour.

Plain white are troopers green for sgt blue for lt red for captain and yellow for commander

Phase two are a bit more random. Commanders and captain Etc seem to have no clear designations that I can see other than having Kamas and pauldrons but that is across the board and there seems to be no marking for sgt etc

This is a glaring example of the price gouging...Phase 1 trooper was $89.99...the new "shiney" one is $139.99? come on

I re-watched Star Wars III and see commander Cody with what appears to be 4 dots on the left breast so I would assume the 4 dots is the rank designation, as all the 212th had the orange markings on the armor

Cody does have some sort of rank badge but seems to be the only commander, at least from the ones featured in the movie, to display one.
Much like real life militaries, i believe officers are not meant to stand out too much from their troops to avoid becoming primary targets for the enemy.

Yep the dots signify nco/co and color is their rank. But for the clone wars series the phase 1/2 its all over the place with markings and designs. Basically the rule of thumb is the fancier the paint job and the more gear they have is the higher their rank or their importance.

I believe he wants a detailed description. :lol

Kamas originally worn by the first ARC Troopers, like those of Alpha-17 are basically skirts they go from the knee to the waist connected to the belt. They protect against shrapnel and such.

Pauldrons also again worn by ARCs are basically a ranking system. While originally the 4 dot method meant a officer, the color coordinated meant rank still with armor and or pauldron. But pauldrons and kamas were for ARCs only up in till the first half of the war. Then they got more sophisticated with a main breast collar with a big shoulder pad and a little one. Big on left side meant Commander or Captain and Big on right meant lieutenant. Sergeants during Phase 2 usually customized their armor with add-ons to their unit's insignia already painted.

During the Phase 2 era, pauldrons and kamas were incorporated to make for rank since color coding was opted out since each division had their own unique trade mark of color on their troops. ARCs however upgraded to newer pauldrons and kamas but kept color into their ranks says canon if you exclude Filoni's interpretation.

As for Cody, speculation is believed that the rank badge was a gift or find by the commander. It's likely to be a old republic rank badge worn by the troopers of old, since the rank badges of the modern republic didn't change from the square upon square design even into the empire.

I did a google search for clonetroopers and found this on Wikipedia reguarding clonetroopers and their rank system. Is slightly different than posted earlier so here's the link to the article and I've copied and pasted the section on the ranks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clone_trooper

Originally clone troopers were identified in rank by the color of their armor, as in this chart below. However, by Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith, colors became associated with a trooper's legion affiliation.
Black — Shadow Trooper
White — Clone Private (standard trooper)
Green — Clone Sergeant, commanded squads made up of 9 troops.
Red — Clone Lieutenant, commanded platoons made up of 4 squads (36 troops)
Blue — Clone Captain, commanded Companies made up of four platoons (144 troops).
Yellow/Orange — Clone Commander, commanded regiments made up of four battalions (2,304 troops). Many of these commanders were grown with more capacity for independent thought than their troops, and were sometimes known by names rather than numbers. They also received training from the ARC trooper Alpha-17.

Once the Galactic Empire is established, all armor uniforms of the clone-troopers, now re-classified as 'storm-troopers' and issued new armor, are once again all white, with no outward signs of neither rank, nor legion or other unit affiliation.

Kama = retconned BeltCape :)

The military structuring throughout SW is confusing, but at least the Clonetroopers makes semi sense, try pinning down Rebel ranks and how they did promotions, thats enough reading to make you go a little cross eyed.

I think it is one Sergeant in command of 8 troopers making 9 in total. When I was in the army I was a section commander in charge of a section of 8 men and myself made up a total 9 men in the section. So I assume they mean the same thing

Back