Medi-Com VS Sideshow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BadMoon said:
Any thoughts?

:idea :dunno

ps...why is this on the SW section? R U asking about Medicom SW figures vs. SS SW figures? :confused:

Dont post this poll on a Sideshow Freak Board.If you want the crowd to be partial.

It will just lead to more and more arguing with no direction. It's cool to argue but when either side can prove their point, it becomes meaningless. It ends up being opinion vs opinion, "I'm better than you" rather than debating facts.

Again, I go with BANDAI *points to the heavens*

photo_02.jpg

Actually an argument went on last night in the Batman 13' thread. We were talking about the Medicom Luke Vs the Sideshow. I was trying to explain to the medicom people that the Sideshow version is better because it actually looks like Mark Hamill. They were arguing saying that the medicom figure is easier to pose and therefore making it the better figure. I tried to explain that I dont care if it can do round off back hand springs across the living room. It still looks nothing like Luke from the movie. I think for the money I want something that at least looks like the character from the movie. I think medicoms armored figures look great. I just don't think they hold a candle to Sideshows facial sculpts. So I just wanted to see what other people thought.

BadMoon said:
Actually an argument went on last night in the Batman 13' thread. We were talking about the Medicom Luke Vs the Sideshow. I was trying to explain to the medicom people that the Sideshow version is better because it actually looks like Mark Hamill. They were arguing saying that the medicom figure is easier to pose and therefore making it the better figure. I tried to explain that I dont care if it can do round off back hand springs across the living room. It still looks nothing like Luke from the movie. I think for the money I want something that at least looks like the character from the movie. I think medicoms armored figures look great. I just don't think they hold a candle to Sideshows facial sculpts. So I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Well I posted my thoughts in that thread already. If you want a real opinion, you should go on a general forum where there would be a bunch of ppl who dont necessarily collect either and have them give you an opinion. I think you would get more interesting responses that way. Here, on an SSC forum of course the majority wil say SSC.

I guess I have noticed that alot of people in hear collect both. Those are the people I would like to hear from.

darthviper107 said:
Let's see, if we go to googlefight, Sideshow wins with 7,370,000 hits compared to Medicom's 1,750,000.

Sideshow wins

Well Sideshow is bit more mainstream than Medicom. So it's not surprising. Maybe try Kubrick instead? hahaha

I think you can fairly accurately draw the line in the sand by asking people what they want out of a figure.

If you like Sideshow, chances are that you are a closet PF enthusiast who likes alittle posability.

If you like Medicom, chances are that you are really into Japanime and love dynamic posing posibilties.

Both would be right about who is better and neither are wrong.

My .02 :cool:

BadMoon said:
I guess I have noticed that alot of people in hear collect both. Those are the people I would like to hear from.

I'm not sure. It seems only a handful for Medicom and everyone collect SSC. Are you just comparing Luke? Or are you comparing the companies? If you're comparing the Companies. I'd Say Medicom with their Kamen Rider 1/6 DX line and BM line is far beyond any 1/6 that Sideshow puts out. Maybe not the best value but definetlly superior to any SSC 1/6.

pixletwin said:
I think you can fairly accurately draw the line in the sand by asking people what they want out of a figure.

If you like Sideshow, chances are that you are a closet PF enthusiast who likes alittle posability.

If you like Medicom, chances are that you are really into Japanime and love dynamic posing posibilties.

Both would be right about who is better and neither are wrong.

My .02 :cool:

I agree with that.

This will probably end up in an all out war, but here's a couple of thoughts.

I own both Medi-Luke and SST-Luke, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.
Overall, I must say I have more fun with Medi-Luke. The HS, although not a great likeness, has a great look to it, full of determination, and makes the figure a lot easier to pose. SST Luke has a great likeness, but the expression is such that it is impossible to pose him holding his lightsaber in anger.
I also like the materials Medicom uses a lot better than SST's. The fabric is heavier, yet not bulky, and (also in part thanks to the medi-body) hangs really well. Is Medicom futz-free? By no means, I futzed a lot with the figure until I finally got it to look the way I wanted, but there was no customization, no water treatment. Just a quick re-dress to make it look better.
The boots are also a lot better looking on the Medi figure, and I do like the big thick lightsaber (hmm, that sounds strange...).
The cloak on the Medi figure also looks better, 'cause it hangs like a cloak, not like a cape, which is the case with SST's effort. I know the material is not very accurate, but the cut and hang are just way better.
SST's belt is a lot nicer though, no contest there. The wire in the shirt is also a big plus, unfortunately, I don't really like the way SST-Luke looks without his grey vest, so it's kinda useless to me.
I'm not going to go into the body debate, but I will say this: for all its amazing poseability, the Medi body has its flaws. You have to understand how it works so that you don't have a figure with drooping shoulders all the time, and the wrist articulation looks terrible, as well as the neck post connection. So, no, it's not the end-all be-all of bodies. But if I compare it to SST's... yes, I do like it better.
In the end, I like both figures. I feel I Medi figures are a bit expensive in general, but I only buy the ones I really like (Vader, Luke, Stormies up to now). I also feel SST figures are great, but not all that awesome, so I also buy just the ones I like. I have no intentions of displaying Medicom and SST together, so I get what I want and have lots of fun.

Well, I only have two Medicom dolls (Jack Sparrow, Rocketeer) so my experience with their product is limited.

I find the tailoring to be a bit better on the Medicoms, SSC's tailoring can be a bit sloppy at times. The Medi body also has a nicer range of motion except in the wrists. SSC makes more accurate head sculpts IMO as far as human likenesses, though the sculpting on the Rocketeer's helmet is exceptional, right to the weld lines.

Judging from Jack Sparrow though, I'll have to give the nod to Sideshow when it comes to the finishing touches. Jack's costume is nicely tailored, but has no weathering at all, it looks like he just pulled it off the rack. Also, the belts and sword scabbard are made of cheap, dollar store toy plastic. SSC would have made them out of leather.

I'll disregard the price discrepancy as Medicoms are imports and imports alway have insane prices.

My final analysis? One's both about as nice as the other when all is said and done.

IMO, drawing a line straight through to divide Medicom and SS is pointless as a pissing contest.

So why be "vs" ? Why not, "Medicom AND Sideshow".

nash said:
IMO, drawing a line straight through to divide Medicom and SS is pointless as a pissing contest.

So why be "vs" ? Why not, "Medicom AND Sideshow".
That, my good man, is worthy of a quote in someone's signature.

Not mine, but someones. :cool: :duff

i had the medicom luke and it was awesome. i still think its a decent figure, but since the sideshow figure came out its in second place in my book. especially since i paid almost $200 for the medicom and only $65 for the sideshow. with the sideshow you get the mark hamill likeness, collector's grade box, special stand, and the accessories. with the medicom you get some dude, plain box, generic stand, and the accessories.

Like some people have already stated, I own both and like for different reasons.

But as a LONG time toy collector, I'm not looking for a definitive version from either release. I like to think of toy collecting as gettting a gallery of interpretations of my favorite characters. So currently my SS Luke is displayed by my Medicom Luke and Hasbro Luke. All Jedi. All toys. All fun to have. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back