How far have you gone to get the perfect collectible?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avenger

Super Freak
Reaction score
I bet there are a number of people here that have spent extra, extra money, extra time, extra angst, to get that perfect collectible. Maybe you did multiple returns with the vendor you bought it from. Perhaps, you bought new parts, or even a whole new figure to try and win the lottery. My bet is more than likely you've yet to really win that lottery.

Perfectionism like this needs a place to fume, piss and moan, get ridiculed...I mean comfort from others who've been there.

Anyone have any stories of disappointment, followed by an attempt to replace a collectible or part of one, only to end up with different defects/flaws? Did you just learn to live and like it anyway?

I have a theory that every collectible is going to have visible flaws, and any replacement will have different visible flaws. You may take less issue with the new piece, but have to accept some level of imperfection. And still, we try for the illusive prize anyway. Once more into the breach...

The only thing I ever had to do was to replace some parts on a Sideshow V1 Snake Eyes that some ****** firefighter from New Jersey sold me on Ebay with a ripped vest and two left boots. I asked Sideshow for a vest, and even though it was a year and a half after the figure's release...they came through (that was way back when Sideshow had good customer service). A fellow Freak 'fessed up the boots and I cleaned the figure up of all the dust and lint that was on it.

I am not sure i would go much farther than that for something I expect to be good out of the box.

"Perfection" cost money no matter what the collectable may be. Time is money. For something that's mass produced all you can hope for is higher quality. I've been piecing my car together for a while and it will be a while yet before I reach what I think is perfect. Lots of time, lots of money, LOTS of frustration and setbacks but the end result makes it worthwhile.

I've gone as far as killing an entire village to acquire the last made HT's T2 figure. They ended up making a 2nd run of that figure.

**** happens.

I've gone as far as killing an entire village to acquire the last made HT's T2 figure. They ended up making a 2nd run of that figure.

**** happens.

Most excellent, sir! :hi5:

Do you remember the mass riots we had over the Hot Toys Christopher Reeve Superman figure? We bathed in the blood of Hot Toys employees everywhere - until Arnie Kim relented at gun point and decided to rework the head-sculpt.

images

I've done some things I'm not too proud of in back alleys for perfect collectibles.

Back