anyone here volunteer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkmatter

Super Freak
Reaction score
just wondering if any of you volunteer any time to your local church, group or civic association? perhaps helping a local charity raise funds or assisting at a nursing home or working at a charity event?

right now i volunteer at the local nursing home for the elderly and participate in an annual 5K run for teen runaways.

i'd love to hear how you help make the world a better place! :peace

I volunteer a couple of times before. But what I didn't like is that they would pretty much give you the worst jobs no one wanted to do, So I was not really making the world a better place. I was just pretty much doing the crappy chores no one else wanted to bother with

I cut the lawns for two ladies who lost their husbands this past calendar year. Both are old so it helps. I also give food to a family a few blocks over. My friend works for Harvest so I asked if we could deliver food to them. Family of 5. Husband became ill.. so wife looks after him and the kids. Tough times. And I used to do hampers every Christmas at the Church I used to attend... we put together the hampers and delivered them to the homes. Love giving hampers to people who seem to be doing well. Hint of sarcasm, but most needed it.

the funny thing is that all places would end up making me do the same stuff, Deal with the same stuff.

Often times I would end up just cleaning the places, I would become the janitor :lol

When you volunteer you are actually getting more out of it than the person/interest you're helping.... Does ya good.

That said, not currently but i'd like to.

I used to volunteer at a youth group for kids who needed people in their lives to support them and talk to them, etc.

These days I do the Austin Humane Society's TNR program. It takes a lot of work. A lot more than you would think anyways.

For anyone that doesn't know, TNR is their Trap.Neuter.Release program for feral cats. There's so many strays out there. We've been able to help a lot of cats in our neighborhood alone. It feels great. Another one we took in on Friday will be re-released this week. She took a bit longer because she was pregnant.

Back when I was in college I volunteered at one of the big local Atlanta hospitals (Grady). Mostly helped transport folks between floors to various appointments who couldn't get around on their own (wheelchair, hospital bed, etc).

Post college and before I was employed I was in the Peace Corps down in Guyana (South America). Worked at the Ithaca Health Village which was the closest medical facility for 2+ villages, slightly more than 1000 folks. Helped out the medical personnel, kept the place clean, gave health presentations, and helped run community events (kid's summer camp with sports and educational seminars). One of the best things I've done in my life. Very rewarding, both from a physical and mental standpoint.

:hi5:

I cut the lawns for two ladies who lost their husbands this past calendar year.

xm7c.jpg

some very uplifting and encouraging stories. i started volunteering to help me remember there is something in this world much bigger than myself. it also helps me be thankful for the blessings in my life and to always remember paying it forward doesn't hurt your score with the man upstairs. :)

I was a Cubscout den leader for 2 years. Did a stint for a season as an assistant soccer coach. I am used from time to time as a laborer for the PTA that my wife is on. But my work schedule precludes any in-depth involvment in any one cause any more. But when I can, I am happy to volunteer time or material.

I volunteer a couple times a year (thru work) either at the local food bank, food pantry or Habitat for Humanity.

In my earlier days, I was a volunteer EMT for my hometown (since moved) so lost that skillset.

We have two diabetic kids so we (family) try volunteering for various events throughout the year. Gotten kinda bad at this one lately.

Always good to give back........

i tried to volunteer in one of the SPCA, animal shelters. had to fill out application forms. wanted to commit my day off for that.

sadly they only need hands to help with handouts and donation trend, the only opening they had.lolz

i passed. turns out lot of folks here do volunteer at the animal shelter full time. :/

Back