• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Would you prefer a more professional marketplace?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
We have kind of a "wild west" thing going on in the sales forums and I was wondering what people thought of a more formal marketplace such as on this forum -

https://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/classifieds.php

You could pay directly by credit card through their system. No "gift" would be allowed, you always would have to pay the credit card premium of around 3%.

Let me know what you think.

I personally like the way it is now .
I myself don't own a credit card , just a bank account debit visa and paypal .
So if it would work just by using a credit card , i couldn't buy or sell anything :gah:

I say leave it the way it is :exactly:

If it ain't broke; don't try to fix it.

If having the Paypal fees mandatory is something Dave wants from sellers, then perhaps this should be mandatory for all transactions and those who state otherwise should be warned with repeat offenders losing seller privileges.

I think the the way it is best. Others may not have credit cards or cards in general, most people have paypal account because of ebay. If the the paypal fees is where the concern is, make it mandatory.

I like the way it is now too but I have a few suggestions:

1. Adding a "Ship only to ...." prefix so buyers will know where the seller is willing to ship the items to.

2. Somehow categorizing items into 1/6 figs, 1/4 figs, Parts, Statues in the thread the buyer has to fill in what he is selling and adds pictures and then it lays it out in a pre-determined format with picture and price.

3. One dedicated sales thread for each person so you can see all their history of buying and selling. If they try to open another one, it won't let them.

4. When they sell something, they can click "SOLD" on that item and it would move to a SOLD LIST automatically or disappear after 3 days or something.

5. Make selling with the "GIFT" requirement not allowed and make it punitive if violated.

We already have eBay if we don't want the Wild West. Don't change it.

Seems like that system would be useful in potentially simplifying transactions. Instead of PM'ing back and forth about information, a buyer could simply click and buy.

But is there anything there prohibiting PM transactions outside of those constraints? Say, a guy PMs saying he will pay as gift for 3% less than the asking price, seller accepts, and then removes his "professional" listing.

My first instinct was to also think that this system would help ensure that the first person to seriously want something could get it, and sellers couldn't renegotiate prices after realizing they listed something too low (we've seen that happen a few times here), offer something to guys who PM'd later, etc. But even that seems like it could be overcome via PM and payment refunds. Seems like any sanctions you would place on that kind of system could be implemented here without such a system.

Seems like that system would be useful in potentially simplifying transactions. Instead of PM'ing back and forth about information, a buyer could simply click and buy.

But is there anything there prohibiting PM transactions outside of those constraints? Say, a guy PMs saying he will pay as gift for 3% less than the asking price, seller accepts, and then removes his "professional" listing.

My first instinct was to also think that this system would help ensure that the first person to seriously want something could get it, and sellers couldn't renegotiate prices after realizing they listed something too low (we've seen that happen a few times here), offer something to guys who PM'd later, etc. But even that seems like it could be overcome via PM and payment refunds. Seems like any sanctions you would place on that kind of system could be implemented here without such a system.

Agreed. A checkout system could really smooth things out and speed things along. But having a seller being able to cancel a transaction quickly would also be necessary, because just like on ebay, we get our fair share of deadbeats. And through the PM system, its easy to push them to the side, but in a checkout type system there would be complications.

But I'm all for a professionalismizm of the marketplace.

Back