Franchises that only have one great movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it was in one of the Robocop HT threads that a-dev mentioned how quickly the Robocop franchise went south with Robocop 2 and how most franchises get at least two great films in them before turning the corner. I actually was thinking about it the other day and I came up with a handful of examples of series where there was only the first one.

Here are movies that turned into franchises and yet never gave us more than one great film:

1. Jaws
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. Back to the Future
4. Predator
5. Robocop
6. The Matrix

Did I forget any others?

Jason-Momoa-Conan-the-Barbarian-Posters-jason-momoa-24710588-826-1222.jpg

Best

Here are movies that turned into franchises and yet never gave us more than one great film:

3. Back to the Future
4. Predator

Did I forget any others?

You serious? is this a troll thread? :lol

"Jaws", "The Matrix" and "Iron Man" for sure.

I'd add "BATMAN", "TCoN: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", "ALIEN" and "The NeverEnding Story",

Bound to be a lot of disagreement in here.

I think what sets Robocop apart for me from other franchises with one great film is that 2 and 3 are, IMO, such a significant drop-off in quality.

Even if BTTF II isn't as good as the first film its still a highly enjoyable film. Whereas Robocop 2 is largely crap apart from some good bits. And 3 is utterly $h!te. Likewise with Jurassic Park, I find a lot to enjoy in The Lost World, I wouldn't dismiss it completely.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1) Sorry Bay! :p

Agreed. Sadly.

Do animated movies count? Turtles Forever was pretty awesome. :)

1. Jaws
2. Conan the Barbarian
3. Back to the Future
4. Predator
5. Robocop
6. The Matrix

Did I forget any others?

Not sure I agree with BTTF or the Matrix... But maybe I can't really argue that the sequels were "great" - just good (to me).

The Mummy

There was a great movie in that franchise?

Iron Man
The Mummy

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one franchise. You're saying Avengers and all others in that series suck? You can't say they're connected and then turn around and say the series are separate from one another.

Also, there were Mummy movies before the 90s remake. I agree all the sequels/prequels to that 90s remake are rubbish, but the original 1933(?) version is good and considered to be the same franchise.

There was a great movie in that franchise?

I loved the first Mummy movie, the rest really dropped off in quality :dunno

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one franchise. You're saying Avengers and all others in that series suck? You can't say they're connected and then turn around and say the series are separate from one another..

It's not one franchise it's a collection of different franchises set in one continuity.

Iron Man 1, 2 & 3 is the Iron Man franchise.

Back