Options for Wall-Mounted Displays?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumos

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have pretty limited floor space, so I’m not too keen on buying something like the Ikea Detolf to display my 1:6 figures. I just don’t have anywhere to go with a Detolf. I’d rather display my figures on the wall somehow, but I need some advice on the different options available. I’d prefer wall-mounted cases versus just slapping up some shelving units and putting the figures on them. It doesn’t look as nice and provides no protection from dust, toppling over onto the floor, etc.

I was looking into the options offered by this site: https://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

They’re fairly expensive. A custom wall case (with a door) measuring 16w x7d x 16h is $94.13 (not including shipping). I could maybe shave an inch or two off the diameter, but I don’t think I’d want less than 16w x 16h. I’ll obviously be displaying more than one figure per box, and I’d like fairly dynamic poses rather than just standing them staring straight forward.

I’m wondering if anyone knows of any other (preferably cheaper) options, or if this is probably the best deal I’ll find. I’ve been looking for a while now without a whole lot of success.

I know little about the Besta. Anyone have a link to the specific product page for the shallow model you're referring to?

These are just shelving units, correct?

Thanks for the link.

Hmmm. It's a definite possibility. I'd just have to decide if I want more of a darker, boxed-in look, or a glass case that feels a bit more open.

Anyone know the exact height/width of each "box?"

Interior dimensions are just a tiny bit over 22 1/4" wide x 22 3/4" high inside each half. The unit comes with two shelves per half. Ill be using mine for die-cast cars sitting on glass shelves. I was also going to go the clear acrylic route, but I just found that a couple of builders of these things were flaky and many others just absolutely insanely priced.

Interior dimensions are just a tiny bit over 22 1/4" wide x 22 3/4" high inside each half. The unit comes with two shelves per half. Ill be using mine for die-cast cars sitting on glass shelves. I was also going to go the clear acrylic route, but I just found that a couple of builders of these things were flaky and many others just absolutely insanely priced.

:lecture

Yup. Same story over here. And I was thinking it'd be easy to find a nice, simple wall unit for a reasonable price.

Do you know if anyone has pics of this wall unit in use? I'll poke around a bit tomorrow, heading to bed early tonight, but most of what I see are floor display cases like the Detolf.

Also curious if anyone knows how heavy this sucker is! I'd probably have to make a trip to an actual Ikea, and I think the closest one is in Chicago, which is a decent 3 hour drive away at least. I've always kind of wanted to go there, but I've heard mixed things about them. My cousin who lives in Chicago said it's kind of dorm quality stuff for college kids.

Anyway, I just tested the shipping price and it was about an extra $350. OUCH!

:lecture

Yup. Same story over here. And I was thinking it'd be easy to find a nice, simple wall unit for a reasonable price.

Do you know if anyone has pics of this wall unit in use? I'll poke around a bit tomorrow, heading to bed early tonight, but most of what I see are floor display cases like the Detolf.

Also curious if anyone knows how heavy this sucker is! I'd probably have to make a trip to an actual Ikea, and I think the closest one is in Chicago, which is a decent 3 hour drive away at least. I've always kind of wanted to go there, but I've heard mixed things about them. My cousin who lives in Chicago said it's kind of dorm quality stuff for college kids.

Anyway, I just tested the shipping price and it was about an extra $350. OUCH!

I have one but not on the wall yet. Its the Birch color with Vara doors and Inreda lighting. It is not heavy even with the doors depending on the style. Hit me up if you want pics of it or any other info.:yess:

As long as you attach to at least two studs in the wall, plus the cabinet weight is supported by its top (not back board), you're going to be totally safe. Besta already comes with some spacers/supports for wall attachment, but I didn't use them. Instead I attached two pieces of wood to the wall studs that fit into the space behind the Besta, then I hung the Besta on those pieces by the top lip on the back. That way I was able to slide it from side to side to get the positioning exact, then fasten with a few screws through the backboard to keep it in place (just to prevent it from pulling off the wall). Same concept to the pieces that Ikea provide, but allowed for stronger mounting to the studs and the side to side adjustment.

I have one but not on the wall yet. Its the Birch color with Vara doors and Inreda lighting. It is not heavy even with the doors depending on the style. Hit me up if you want pics of it or any other info.:yess:

I thought it must be the weight of an elephant given the insane shipping cost.

If you get it up on the wall in the near future, post some pics in the forum! :)

I thought it must be the weight of an elephant given the insane shipping cost.

If you get it up on the wall in the near future, post some pics in the forum! :)

I will for sure, it's a great display. I had the deeper unit on the wall but it was too big for my taste. Just used the supplied hardware with no issues.
Now I am using the deeper Besta for storage of accessories and such. I have the Tombo doors on that one with blackout inserts in the doors for a clean look.
PS- Just make the trip to Schaumburg, Il to the Ikea there. Where are you in Wi?

Back