PDA

View Full Version : soooo..do you ever get jealous of others' collections?

spiderrogue
06-11-2013, 01:30 PM
i saw someone post about not being jealous about someone else's SW collection..and was just wondering...
do you guys ever get jealous of someone else's SW collection? or any figure collection i guess, really...

honestly, i know that there are/were times that i kind of do..but then think about what i have and am usually ok then...lol..
i know that there are some collections out there that i'd love to have and i know that there are some out there that pretty much have just about what i have....lol...
it's not really the "factory" figures...but moreso the custom ones or really hard to find ones, that i can't do or get....

ignore the poll..my bad

Batty
06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Mine's pretty big, so no.

Wait, what are we taking about?

Jango56031
06-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Not so much the collection as the space they have available to display what they have.

karamazov80
06-11-2013, 01:49 PM
How are you differentiating these terms?

carbo-fation
06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Where's the option for a 'no'?

transhi100
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
How are you differentiating these terms?

Yeah what's the difference? Maybe it is easier, Jealous vs. Not Jealous.

spiderrogue
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
yea..i guess that they kinda both mean the same thing ..more or less....lol...

Invictus Sol
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Lol, yeah, I guess one's more light-hearted to you than the other? For my part, I just enjoy seeing other peoples' collections, especially when they're displayed well and not cluttered. There's not really that much out that I want and my collection will never contain PFs or some of the franchises a lot of people seem to be into for customs (Breaking Bad is my favourite TV show, for example, but I have no desire for Walt and Jesse figs). Regardless, love seeing that stuff in other collections. So long answer, haven't felt envious/jealous of anyone yet.

FLOSI
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
People put together figures that I would love to own, but I wouldn't say I'm jealous.

MidnightClad
06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
I would say I am some times in awe of other peoples collections but never jealous.

spiderrogue
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
im only jealous of the people who have the clones that i don't....(ganch, neyo....sigh...lol)..or people who have custom Catina aliens....you all know who you are...;)

sithlord13
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Jealous of others collections? No. Envious of some of the talent displayed in creating displays customs and collections? Sometimes

I like my collection and If I had more money and time, yeah Ipd like to change or expand things but overall I'm proud of I because its might rather than jealous of what others have assembled.

In awe as well? Definitely of some.

But the best thing about this site? Is being able to see stuff which makes me a bit jealous with being nasty or *****y about it.

The worst is when people are.
(Not you spider.by the way)

Interesting question tho

barryo
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I get extremely jealous to the extent I don't want them around mine. as I fear mine will see how much better they might have it & run off with theirs ...........that's why I keep mine locked in a room..........:monkey1

Niltusk
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Yep! Both.

Lot of great people with great stuff and great presentation of said stuff.

Basically what keeps me coming back is the admiration of what fellow collectors have and have put together and how they display it. Its all highly individual, but you can also learn alot watching other collectors.

Boba Ben
06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't get jealous of other peoples' collections. Other people get jealous of my collection.

EVILFACE
06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
OP is one jealous and envious person.

Niltusk
06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Its also easy to get jealous/envious over things that predate a relatively newer collector like myself.

A perfect example was that I posted in Mando's Steel Brigade thread that I was jealous of the people that had a custom SB head. Mando redid a small run and I got my head and was no longer envious.

Its all good fun and stuff that I wouldn't even know existed if not for fellow freaks sharing what they have. :hi5:

spiderrogue
06-11-2013, 02:49 PM
OP is one jealous and envious person.

only of your kick arse custom decals....:(

ebor
06-11-2013, 02:55 PM
You will all bow down to my massive collection of spores, moulds, and fungi...

No collection thread for that, but yeah you will bow down!

and bacteria, yeah loads of bacteria, cough...cough

a-dev
06-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Occasionally I see things that other people have that I wish I had and I guess you would call that jealousy. It doesn't last for any prolonged time though because I do have what I personally consider a fantastic collection that includes some things that I know others might wish they had.

OutLander
06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm envious of people that have a room dedicated to their collections since I don't have one. :monkey2

punisher1974
06-11-2013, 05:35 PM
People put together figures that I would love to own, but I wouldn't say I'm jealous.

I would agree with that. I like a lot of the customs since they are one of a kind. Kinda like the Han Solo in pigtails for your avatar. Awesome.:hi5:

Deak Starkiller
06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Nah, where is the who gives a **** option? I don't know, there will always be someone better than you and your toys/dolls. What does it matter?

King Darkness
06-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Mine is bigger than Batty's. That's all that matters to me.

ApeManRyan
06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't get jealous. I love looking at others amazing collection wishing I had some of the pieces they have but I never get jealous. My issue is I don't get much money so I only can afford a couple of Statues/PF's and maybe a bust but I can afford 1/6 figures mostly along with Legos, Models etc. Last issue is space. My room is small and can't pack it with my stuff or else it would look clutter. Once I get more money and more space than ill be fine. Overall I'm happy and proud with my small collection. More things to be added slowly but I'm happy with what I got even if I have a very small collection. :)

Batty
06-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Mine is bigger than Batty's. That's all that matters to me.

I would call you a jerk, but I'm afraid a mod would think I'm serious and ban me. So instead I shall say, good day to you, sir!

http://i.imgur.com/a5V5D02.gif

FLOSI
06-11-2013, 06:58 PM
I would call you a jerk, but I'm afraid a mod would think I'm serious and ban me. So instead I shall say, good day to you, sir!

http://i.imgur.com/a5V5D02.gif

Nah. You have carte blanche when insulting KD. :lecture

Lordscum
06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I useually don't get jealous of other peoples collections unless its King Darknesses ! Whats your address again King? :lol

xequae
06-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't get jealous, especially about a collection as a whole, but there are some individual pieces that I really admire. For example, I really like the Firefly customs some people have put together. Not to mention some of the amazing Star Wars customs people have done.

If I'm jealous of anything it is the amazing talent some of the people on the board have.

NSJ23
06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
no, i love viewing other collectors collection not matter if they are smaller or larger than mine.

Batty
06-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Nah. You have carte blanche when insulting KD. :lecture

Yes! :yess:

occulum
06-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Not so much the collection as the space they have available to display what they have.

This is the nail on the head. The space / display can make or break the collection IMO.

I shelf full of 1/4 scale PFs displays the same cluttered look as a smaller shelf full of action figures IMO.
You have to separate and acknowledge surrounding, lighting, display and composition if you want to separate yourself from "the collector geek" to "you have some cool stuff,man."

If you truly want a cool looking collection, but dont have a lot of space, you will end up on the geek side if you buy every piece you want with disregard to display space available.
I struggle with it myself... :monkey1....:monkey1

occulum
06-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Nah, where is the who gives a **** option? I don't know, there will always be someone better than you and your toys/dolls. What does it matter?

also a good POV..... :monkey1

Qrest Fourstar
06-11-2013, 07:52 PM

:goodpost:

Amen Brother!

devilof76
06-11-2013, 08:51 PM
I've heard jealousy defined as appreciating what others have and wishing you had it yourself, whereas envy is appreciating what others have and wishing they didn't have it either. One is a form of admiration. The other is pure malice.

I've never been jealous of a whole collection. Collections are too personalized. Individual pieces on the other hand, hell yes.

Deak Starkiller
06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
also a good POV..... :monkey1

Thanks!

I've heard jealousy defined as appreciating what others have and wishing you had it yourself, whereas envy is appreciating what others have and wishing they didn't have it either. One is a form of admiration. The other is pure malice.

I've never been jealous of a whole collection. Collections are too personalized. Individual pieces on the other hand, hell yes.

Well put Devil.

devilof76
06-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks Deak. I am galactically renowned for my putting. :lecture

MidnightClad
06-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Its also easy to get jealous/envious over things that predate a relatively newer collector like myself.

A perfect example was that I posted in Mando's Steel Brigade thread that I was jealous of the people that had a custom SB head. Mando redid a small run and I got my head and was no longer envious.

Its all good fun and stuff that I wouldn't even know existed if not for fellow freaks sharing what they have. :hi5:

Hey I am jealous of your SB how bout you balance the scale out and just mail it to me so you can have good karma :lol

Bucky Underbelly
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Jealous of other folks' collections? No.

Jealous of their collection budgets? Absolutely!

jye318
06-11-2013, 10:46 PM
I get jealous for who have the cm piece. Or 1:1 statues. Lol

jkno
06-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not jealous nor envious of others collections! I enjoy watching other people's collections (that is why I post in other people's collection threads), and if I like one of their items, I'll try getting it myself. I learn a lot from other collectors, regarding new items, ways of displaying collectibles and so on.

Jedi Princess
06-12-2013, 08:55 AM
No, I'm happy for them. Jealousy/envy is such a selfish mentality. It's horrible to with someone else's good fortune is your own, we should be happy for them instead of sad for ourselves.

RavenEye
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
um........

sewbacca
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Never felt either way. If i know I will never get that piece I just enjoy the pictures. If it weren't for those collections that inspired me to save and try to acquire the items I really wanted; I'd be a much wealthier man with a happier wife and more time for my family:pj/k kind of. So, inspiration is huge on this hobby and I thank those brothers and sisters for sharing their amazing collections!:clap

averagejo
06-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Jealous...Envious...Yes!
A lot of people here have fantastic collections and displays, while mine is mediocre at best.
"Embarrassed" should be added because thats how I feel after viewing some of these great collections then looking at mine! :slap :lol

newmennium
06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
This is the nail on the head. The space / display can make or break the collection IMO.

I shelf full of 1/4 scale PFs displays the same cluttered look as a smaller shelf full of action figures IMO.
You have to separate and acknowledge surrounding, lighting, display and composition if you want to separate yourself from "the collector geek" to "you have some cool stuff,man."

If you truly want a cool looking collection, but dont have a lot of space, you will end up on the geek side if you buy every piece you want with disregard to display space available.
I struggle with it myself... :monkey1....:monkey1

Well said! I love collections that "breathe." Like "Catch's" and "Andy's". Very well organized and thought out. Its tough for me to spend money on lighting and acrylic (framing for my art...lol)...etc, but it really does make or break a nice display.

DarthTrafford
06-12-2013, 10:41 AM
My Star Wars collection from Sideshow is pretty big.
I have all the 1:6 scale figures that have been released to date.
I have quite a few life size busts.
I'm jealous of people who have more room and space than I do.
I'm also jealous of their display cabinets,mine are on open shelves.
I wish I had the room & money for nice cabinets.

averagejo
06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I agree that the display is important.
I have crappy bookshelves for mine which is fine for the time being since many I do not open, but for the figures which are loose, the only "pro" to my ugly bookshelves is the potential for a larger diorama background.

Darth Fok
06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm always jealous but have an appreciation for others people's collections as well.

Darth Cruel
06-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Depends on what aspect you are talking about. I only know of two people who have a larger collection than I do...Steve Sansweet and my local collecting buddy. So as far as what I or others have...no.

On the other hand...my entire collection is in storage. When I finally get it displayed the way I want to, I will have nothing to be jealous or envious about.

However...until then...I am jealous/envious of anyone with a nice display...but only in a mild, good-natured way.

VintijDroidGutzz
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm not jealous nor envious of others collections! I enjoy watching other people's collections (that is why I post in other people's collection threads), and if I like one of their items, I'll try getting it myself. I learn a lot from other collectors, regarding new items, ways of displaying collectibles and so on.
Nicely put dude - that's my vibe too. :duff

I have a small focus, so I know how I want my set up to develop over time. I enjoying checking things out on the boards though - & discovering / applying cool ideas to my plans along the way if they suit. :)

jstep13
06-17-2013, 03:21 PM
The only thing I ever get jealous is the imagination and talent of customizers. We have some absolute geniuses on this board and I wish I had a lick of their talent. That's the only time I ever get envious per se...

bruhkis
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM

I feel the same way....I freakin need a locked mancave....20 month old repoed my original:pfft:

creature4000
06-19-2013, 04:38 AM
I feel the same way....I freakin need a locked mancave....20 month old repoed my original:pfft:

I'm in the same boat here. Now my wife whats a bigger house and I imediatley thought of my own collection room. We shal see. :lol

c2close
06-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't get jealous with other's collections cause i've got one also "simple and contented". Its just a matter of perspective. I do love seeing other's people collection but i would rather much love having a food to eat and shelter to provide for my family and paying for monthly bills and still be able to save up for our future than rather getting figure related to being jelous or envious with other peoples collection. Every collection of a person is a unique way either be a good set up or what not. As much as an individual, i am still blessed to be somehow be able just to appreciate others people collection. Maslow's hieararchy of needs.

RavenEye
06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I get jealous of people who are jealous who are jealous of the jealous. :lol