Why has Hot toys not done any Lord if the ring figures ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixxshooter

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is it because they can't get the rights to do it . I wider why not since every other studio lets them . Would it not make them tons if money ?

Yeah, that boat sailed a long time ago. LOTR just doesn't have the staying power it needs to make figs worth it.

I think they're just too much into other things. There is a market there but its not what it was several years ago. Besides I'd rather the HT fanboys stay out of this section. :lol

My take, Tolkien stuff is just not as popular as other licenses. They have better things to do that are more clearly profitable. Also I think LOTR is an ensemble cast and they do better with marquee characters. Batman, Iron Man, etc. Who wants just one Hot Toys Gandalf and nothing else? I really don't.

My take, Tolkien stuff is just not as popular as other licenses. They have better things to do that are more clearly profitable. Also I think LOTR is an ensemble cast and they do better with marquee characters. Batman, Iron Man, etc. Who wants just one Hot Toys Gandalf and nothing else? I really don't.

Sideshow had the chance and blew it years ago. We'll just have to wait and see what Asmus Toys has in store for us.

Unless it's Batman or Ironman, HT never finishes, or really even begins a line. They make one or two figures then drop it.

Hard to decide it trolls or goblin king were the bigger distraction.

And EVIL, are your shelf, you are no fan. True fans have them in the DVD player on loop 24/7 ;)

Sideshow had the chance and blew it years ago. We'll just have to wait and see what Asmus Toys has in store for us.

Unless it's Batman or Ironman, HT never finishes, or really even begins a line. They make one or two figures then drop it.

:goodpost::exactly: I hope Asmus is the company that I have been looking for to make great 1/6 figures. SSC were good but not great and the only one I love from that line is Gandalf which isn't saying much since he came out perfect except for the paint apps. I would love to see Asmus prosper on this line and it looks like they will.

HT will most likely never get into the LOTR line due to profit margins and it should stay that way I dont want to pay 250$+ for a figure from the LOTR line.

Last edited by a moderator:
RoboCop has 3 figures in the line. If Hot Toys had made LOTR you guys would all be crying for blood they only made 3 figures total.

I think The Lord if the rings franchise is awesome ! The creatures and characters are perfect for hot toys . I mean hot toys is still doing avp stuff and that movie doesn't come close to these movies . Just imagine the potential . The monsters out if the movie are so epic .

I was really , really let down by iron man 3 . It wasn't even close to being a contender for my favorite film of 2013 . I could watch the LOTR films over and over . There just so great .

RoboCop has 3 figures in the line. If Hot Toys had made LOTR you guys would all be crying for blood they only made 3 figures total.

You got to admit the attention Hot Toys has given to the Marvel lines has been downright silly. By choking other more deserving properties with too few offerings (Star Wars, anyone?) and causing a glut in others by offering too many, Hot Toys is managing to piss off BOTH camps... the Marvel and DC collectors who can't keep up and the non-comic book collectors who are losing interest (me).

But I'm wrong...you are right... Hot Toys should stick to whats profitable!

Bring on more IRONMEN!!! Die cast or plastic... MAKE THEM ALL!

And make that Mandarian guy too... who cares how lame the character is. :clap :clap :clap

I'll just keep my money, thank you.

Last edited:
Ok, speaking without any real data here, but I always sort of assumed that Asian markets tended toward the sci-fi and tech licenses and the interest in fantasy themes was too Eurocentric to get a stronghold in the Far East. This is why we have how many Iron Man (and Robocop, really Robocop?) pieces but won't ever, ever see a Conan, Frazetta Death Dealer, or Lord of the Rings piece from Hot Toys.

Ok, speaking without any real data here, but I always sort of assumed that Asian markets tended toward the sci-fi and tech licenses and the interest in fantasy themes was too Eurocentric to get a stronghold in the Far East. This is why we have how many Iron Man (and Robocop, really Robocop?) pieces but won't ever, ever see a Conan, Frazetta Death Dealer, or Lord of the Rings piece from Hot Toys.

How hard with all the money they have to be making would it be to expand and pump out MORE figures for us to snatch up. I mean, at current they can't even put out what they say they will anywhere near on time.

Well...I think this is the underlying truth and reasoning. Besides the obvious profit margin argument, cstojano hit the nail! The LOTR is a very character rich story...there realy isn't ONE central focus character. If they made a Gandalf and ONLY a Gandalf...the LOTR community would be in an uproar (sort of what we are seeing with Star Wars)...although one could argue that even Star Wars isn't as character diverse as LOTR.

Factor in the COST of costuming since every character in LOTR is visually very different...Hot Toys would not be able to re-use much as far as patterns, molds, etc....then you have the reasoning behind their lack of LOTR interest. No one...not even die hard LOTR fans would want to pay $300-$350 for a figure just so Hot Toys could meet profit margin expectations.

Now...Asmus Toys has come along and sort of shocked us with their take on the 1/6th Witchking! Priced at $155, this figure looks very well done, is in scale (standing over 14" with Helm), and will ship shortly after the pre-order went live. However, factoring in the costuming, etc. I mentioned above, the prices for their line of figures will have to go up...I mean...the witchking is all ROBES and a little armor...pretty CHEAP to create. Compared to Strider or Boromir with their multiple layers of clothing, the Witchking is a pretty easy figure to produce. I can see where Gandalf or Saruman may be less expensive as well...

Back