When did Hasbro do it better?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedi Princess

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Here's a (hopefully) fun new threat idea. When do you think Hasbro did a figure, outfit or accessory better than Sideshow, Medicom, Hot Toys or any other 1/6 company, despite being a fraction of the cost?

I personally prefer the Hasbro Emperor outfit over the official Sideshow one. The texture is so much nicer and when he has his hands up in the air, the sleeves hang so much better than the wired Sideshow ones. And it's longer! It drapes around the figure unlike the Sideshow one, where you can see his boots. Hasbro Emperor outfit on a Sideshow Emperor figure = Masterpiece Sideous for me!

Show some Hasbro love and share your thoughts! :clap

I will throw out a few pics that I still love that hasbro did. Some of their figures with a little work can stand up to ssc and hot toys figures maybe not perfectly but as background characters on your shelves they work great.

1/ Death Star Droid - with a little paint he looks great behind piett or maybe with some stromtroopers.

2/ 4-LOM - With a repaint in my opinion looks as good as the medicom for 1/20th the cost.

3/ Kenner Tie Pilot collectors series - Not Hasbro but I feel as if the figure is in the same boat. Looks great out of the box and with new boots and gloves some futzing and bam there you go a tie pilot.

I have to single out the 2012 Vintage series AT-ST. That wa a thing of beauty! My first Walker since the one from the 90's. I loved how the hatch opened, and the view ports were articulated. With the addition of the KMart exclusive AT-ST drivers, put this set over the top! Who would have thought Hasbro would finally give us a 2 seated Chicken Walker.

3/ Kenner Tie Pilot collectors series - Not Hasbro

That's still Hasbro, as they'd already owned Kenner by the time POTF2 and the Collector Series were released. ;)

I have this figure and while I have no other version, I feel the AT-AT driver and Snow Trooper both best it handily. While the bodies on all Hasbro figures suck, the outfit on the Tie Pilot is too tight/slim - it makes the body look like a wireframe.

Not sure I'd rate any better than their premium counterparts, but I definitely have my favorites of the collection and a number I find stinkers.

My favorites at this moment:

Jawa (Single pack version)
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver
Tusken Raider
Emperor Palpatine (Electronic Version)
Admiral Ackbar

Last edited:
That's still Hasbro, as they'd already owned Kenner by the time POTF2 and the Collector Series were released. ;)

I have this figure and while I have no other version, I feel the AT-AT driver and Snow Trooper both best it handily. While the bodies on all Hasbro figures suck, the outfit on the Tie Pilot is too tight/slim - it makes the body look like a wireframe.

Not sure I'd rate any better than their premium counterparts, but I definitely have my favorites of the collection and a number I find stinkers.

My favorites at this moment:

Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver
Tusken Raider
Emperor Palpatine (Electronic Version)
Admiral Ackbar

Well ya its not perfect but when you can still pick it up for 10-20$ almost any figure in that line and futz and do some modes to make it ok its a steal.

If going purely with 1/6; which I think is the intent of the thread I honestly can't think of anything. I do have a few Hasbro items that have been upgraded with paint, but anytime that character is released by Sideshow the Hasbro one just pales in comparison.

I'd say the best 1/6 figure they released was IG-88... with a simple repaint it could look great and was pretty well articulated. But again, you compare it to the Sideshow version and it's clearly a toy.

So while some Hasbro items are fine as stand ins because the 'did it first" so far I can't think of any where they "did it better".

I think the original Kenner 12in figures from 79' and 80' set the standard for many years pretty much putting most of Hasbro's output to shame. It wasn't until SS started producing figures that the bar was set much higher.

I love the original Kenner 12" line and I'm only missing 4 characters, R2, Leia, Boba and IG-88, but Hasbro also released some very nice product in that market and it's unfair to completely dismiss them.

Comparing against figures that cost 5-10x, or even 20x as much is a little unfair of course. We also need to take into account that some of the biggest negatives we find with the Hasbro line wasn't necessarily a result of cost-cutting, but design. For instance what I hate the most is the puffy-chest muscle look they adopted in POTF2 and in their first 12" SW line, the Collector Series.

The original Leia and R2, plus the Hasbro Stormtrooper, will be added to this shelf sometime this year if I can find them for a decent price - and in good condition of course (and without an eBay member flake-out).

78/79 Kenner on the left, 98/99 Kenner/Hasbro on the right:

Hasbro-era Collector Series and newer up top, vintage Kenner 3 3/4 below:

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool "now and then" display man... I dig it.

And I'd agree, if Hasbro/Kenner had started witha less ridiculous body the whole series would have been much better. but everything had to be made to fit a barrel chest and stubby arms. Funny too since at the same time they had a better proportioned body with the 12" GI Joes :lol

Here's a (hopefully) fun new threat idea. When do you think Hasbro did a figure, outfit or accessory better than Sideshow, Medicom, Hot Toys or any other 1/6 company, despite being a fraction of the cost?
^ This was the original question. Where do AT-ATs & POTF2 figures come into it? :lol I know, the chat's branching out.. :wink1:

I've never owned any 12" Kenner / Hasbro figures, but I have seen quite a few of them in person. Despite the exaggerated comments posted sometimes, Hasbro did great in a lot of areas. PixelPiper's set up is a nice testament to the two eras btw. :)

I always thought the 12" Kenner Vader - while obviously a cheap toy, mirrored the essence of ANH Vader beautifully; the huge helmet, the shape & details, down to the bodysuit sculpting & the imposing 'menace' he portrayed on screen. While the SSC figure is light years ahead of it (obviously), it never looked like 1977 Vader to me - for various reasons.

As the OP also mentioned - the Hasbro Sidious & Emperor figures had a really well made outfits as well - I've seen them up close too. There's quite a few that can chime in to reaffirm this I'm sure, but the astro droids were awesome too - really nice, & scaled better than the Medicoms from what I've seen.

All that said - I love the original 12" Kenner figures. I'd love to own them all MIB (or close to).. maybe one day. :lol

Their 12" Admiral Ackbar is a thing of beauty. I've been tempted to buy another one and transfer it over to a new body. A great looking figure that I'd love to see Sideshow tackle!

I love the original Kenner 12" line and I'm only missing 4 characters, R2, Leia, Boba and IG-88, but Hasbro also released some very nice product in that market and it's unfair to completely dismiss them.

Comparing against figures that cost 5-10x, or even 20x as much is a little unfair of course. We also need to take into account that some of the biggest negatives we find with the Hasbro line wasn't necessarily a result of cost-cutting, but design. For instance what I hate the most is the puffy-chest muscle look they adopted in POTF2 and in their first 12" SW line, the Collector Series.

The original Leia and R2, plus the Hasbro Stormtrooper, will be added to this shelf sometime this year if I can find them for a decent price - and in good condition of course (and without an eBay member flake-out).

78/79 Kenner on the left, 98/99 Kenner/Hasbro on the right:

Hasbro-era Collector Series and newer up top, vintage Kenner 3 3/4 below:

This is really cool. What the hell happened to Chewy over the years? :lol He lost two inches.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Back