Looking for Advice/Constructive Criticism on personal website

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonEl

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently(this morning) finished my new reel and did an update on my website. I was hoping I could get some Advice/Constructive Criticism on it. LINK

It's colorless and text heavy with only one picture. In other words, it's really bland and unexciting. I guess it serves its purpose though (informing visitors about you and what you've done/are doing). But I don't see anyone wanting to visit it regularly.

i should have mentioned before, its meant as a sort of web resume, not really meant to attract repeat viewers.

I am in a multimedia program that deals with film/3D animation/web. I have a year left (took a year off due to my father becoming ill), and seeing what some of the students put together at my school (we make a site as a portfolio as well), I couldn't disagree more. You are selling/advertising yourself. Your portfolio is your resume. I get that. You're a multimedia guy, so wow your audience, your potential client/employer. Don't be just sold on what gets you by, because like D_666 pointed out, a person could lose interest. If I am hiring you, I am thinking it's an okay site for putting out the information, but that you're just not convincing how serious you are.

Your site should automatically sell how serious you are. Having said that, it doesn't have to be fancy schmancy, but from a design perspective, it is simple and bland. So is that what you're all about? First impressions are not always lasting impressions, but they can be what stops you from going further ahead with particular people in the business.

Last edited:
Thanks Eli, my school never covered any of this stuff so I'm learning as I go. I see what you mean.

I'm not expert at any of this, but I agree about the color scheme. Change it up it needs to be something that makes it inviting if that makes sense? Also something I'm sure you could easily do is when you click on each of the tabs instead of having the same picture, make it change when you click on the next thing such as the tv shows tab etc. That way it gives the viewer something else to look at. Thats my two cents. I'm sure others have better ideas, but figured I would throw them out there anyways.

You should try something like this:

awesomeresume1.jpg

Duck, I see what you mean for the picture, yeah maybe some more variety in the pictures would help, I was trying to go for professional and clean but i see how it comes off as boring

Devil, that is great- I love the film maker extraordinaire part

It would be better if you could embed your YouTube reel on your site, because when I click on it now, it takes me to a full browser version.

I would make to box on the right side a few pixels wider and longer you could get rid of the scroll bars, because right now, they don't really do anything. All the info is visible and you don't need to scroll to see it, yet there's scroll bars there. I think there's CSS to make tiny, thin scroll bars, but I don't know how to do it. When you do eventually add more info there, and need to scroll it, I'd look into that, but for now, the scroll bars are superfluous

Also, the links on your Press page should open in new windows. The rest of your outgoing links open in new windows, so just for consistency and ease of use, they should all open in new windows.

I would change the link color to something other than Navy Blue, it doesn't really fit with the gray scale color tone you have on your site. Something like an Almost Black/Dark Grey range.

Also, the font is kinda plain, I suggest you look for something else, that has a bit of flair to it. I don't know what fonts you have available, but something that is a bit unique, but don't go too crazy,

But other than that, it's nice and clean and concise. I think it serves its purpose well. I've never been a fan of throwing a whole bunch of stuff on a website, so your site is right up my alley.

Thanks SH, I already adjusted the press links. I'm going to try to see if I can remove that middle bar and make the reel be embedded across both.

Also I'm trying a mostly white version of the page(which ill replace the picture with a color version and try to find other pictures for the other pages)

alright guys, ive put up an updated version, i do want to add a drop down tab for the films in the navigation menu. I went for mostly white, used pictures to bring some color in, changed around the pages for the films themselves, and embedded the reel and centered it. Once i fix the nav menu i'm thinking about experimenting with bringing some color into the right square- not sure about it but gonna try it

thanks for the advice everyone, its definitely helping a lot

Don't like the white but I like all the other changes you've made. Minor stuff but it does help. Your site is already more interesting than before. So that's good.

Back