Legitimacy of film cell release?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornishninja

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi there :3 I've come here to seek a bit of help with something.

A few weeks back, this came into my possession from a charity shop, and at this stage, because I can't find a whole lot of information on this particular type of thing, I'm just looking for advice, or someone who can tell me how legit this is.

It's a limited edition (number 3 of 300) film cell release from the Sorcerer's apprentice, Fantastia, the film cells look very much like negatives rather than coloured stock, it contains an image from the short, a Mickey pin, and a signed certificate of authenticity.

Here are a couple of pictures, I apologise for the light levels in them ^^;;
003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

(Yes, it is signed, but the signature is faded. Here's a picked out version of it
007.jpg
)
If you would like more detailed pictures of a certain area to help in determining if this is real or not, please let me know and I will get right on it immediately.

If you guys know if this is legitimate, or just know someone I could take it to to ask, I'd be hugely appreciative, because everywhere else I have tried have all directed me back here, saying this was the best place to ask.

Thanks so much for any help that you can give me! I really appreciate it :3
-Cornishninja

Well, the presentation of the piece seems rather generic... it doesn't seem to have same type of flair Disney puts into pieces like this. Probably produced by a secondary source.

Also, it's been my experience that the filmstrips used in these pieces are from theatrical trailers or previews rather than from a print of the film itself... let alone a negative of the film. Probably the film has discolored through age.

Being a theater projectionist for nearly 25 years, I had a copy of the very first Star Wars trailer and 80% of the color had faded away.

Last edited:
There's also no date for copyrights or to indicate ownership f the property by Disney. Looks nice but probably not an authentic Disney item.

I've collected many film cells over the years and fading is definitely an issue. Lucas cut up some of the early star wars films and released them a cell at a time, so you could own a piece of the original. Some of my Jedi ones were faded when they were new. As Pro said though, many cells are now taken from the trailers, The LOTR trilogy Tuesday set was done this way, using the original 35mm trailer. So, this could well be from the original film, or at least from the original trailer. My wife has a Nightmare before Christmas set, and in the corner of the cell number, it also has a very tiny Disney Copy write circle, so I'd look for one of those. From the look of yours, i'd guess a secondary source as well, but probably one Disney has let use the trailers already owned by the people who made this one. Hopefully that all made sense. I'd check redfordfilms.com for some other examples, no fantasia, but some Disney. Good luck.

Back