Jason Part 4- my new obsession

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah 4 is a great fig! may have to sell my exclusive tho.

u have 5 part 3s?! wow, it's driving me nuts just trying to find and afford one of them.

Mookeylama said:
yeah 4 is a great fig! may have to sell my exclusive tho.

u have 5 part 3s?! wow, it's driving me nuts just trying to find and afford one of them.
He used to have 6.:rock

Okay, I know I am going to take heat for what I am about to say. So, let me pre-face it with some positives. Shai seems like a great person on these forums. He seems kind and personable. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone ---

HOWEVER, I find it rather selfish to own 5 identical items of an exclusive, limited collectible. Now, I don't think you are doing that to scalp them... heck, the amount you paided for the Ebay auction shows that. But, every extra one you own keeps another Friday the 13th fan from owning one. I could understand 2 ... one to display, one to keep boxed. If you are extremely paranoid, 3 so you have a backup. However, those other 2 could be making another fan's collection shine somewhere else. I also feel that actions such as these foster price inflation and lead to the rest of use paying ridiculous prices on eVilBay. In the case of the exclusive part 4, its even worse. They only made 666, so every extra you buy means one more collector who will not be able to complete his collection. Sure, you can make the argument that "they should buy them now." But what about the new collector who discovers this line 6 months from now.. or moves over from Star Wars to other SS collectibles due to his SW experiences?

Now, this is America, and you have every right to spend your money as you see fit. If this came off as me telling you what to do, I apologize. I just felt compelled to share my opinion, take it for what it is.

DouglasMcc said:
Now, this is America, and you have every right to spend your money as you see fit. If this came off as me telling you what to do, I apologize. I just felt compelled to share my opinion, take it for what it is.

Actually, Shai lives in Canada.:D

DouglasMcc said:
Okay, I know I am going to take heat for what I am about to say. So, let me pre-face it with some positives. Shai seems like a great person on these forums. He seems kind and personable. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone ---

HOWEVER, I find it rather selfish to own 5 identical items of an exclusive, limited collectible. Now, I don't think you are doing that to scalp them... heck, the amount you paided for the Ebay auction shows that. But, every extra one you own keeps another Friday the 13th fan from owning one. I could understand 2 ... one to display, one to keep boxed. If you are extremely paranoid, 3 so you have a backup. However, those other 2 could be making another fan's collection shine somewhere else. I also feel that actions such as these foster price inflation and lead to the rest of use paying ridiculous prices on eVilBay. In the case of the exclusive part 4, its even worse. They only made 666, so every extra you buy means one more collector who will not be able to complete his collection. Sure, you can make the argument that "they should buy them now." But what about the new collector who discovers this line 6 months from now.. or moves over from Star Wars to other SS collectibles due to his SW experiences?

I don't find what you said offensive, but I will however disagree with you. Shai is probably one of the least selfish people on this board I have come across. He posted an entire 12" Jason exclusive collection(minus part 3) for around $210 shipped which I bought. When completing the transaction I mentioned that all I needed was a Part 3 Jason to complete my collection and he offered me one of his at a fraction of the going rate, so to call him selfish is way off base in my opinion.

Last edited:
Bannister said:
I don't find what you said offensive, but I will however disagree with you. Shai is probably one of the least selfish people on this board I have come across. He posted an entire 12" Jason exclusive collection(minus part 3) for around $210 shipped which I bought. When completing the transaction I mentioned that all I needed was a Part 3 Jason to complete my collection and he offered me one of his at a fraction of the going rate, so to him selfish is way off base in my opinion.

I wasn't calling Shai greedy. That would be a generalization and unfair to him. I said the act of owning multiples of limited figures was greedy. To me, that's hoarding - which isn't to be confused with scalping.. although me people lump the terms together. Can't a person commit a act, without having their entire persona defined by the act (and I am not talking about extreme acts such as murder, rape, etc... and those things our senators do on the internet late at night :lol ). I consider myself a generous person. I donate to charity. I offer my time to help others. I try to be a good person. However, a week ago, I refused to give a co-worker at my school a ride home (well, made up an excuse.. but same difference) because she had insulted one of my friends. I knew she really needed the ride... and that it would inconvience her husband if she didn't get it. However, I didn't care. Does that one act make me a mean, uncaring person? I don't think so. So, in this regard, would hoarding these Jason figures make him a greedy person? No. He's just a good person who committed a greedy act (and that definitely is strictly from my perspective... take it for the opinion it is).

I stick by my original opinion. I don't think it's fair to our fellow collectors to hoard limited figures... especially those as limited as Jason exclusives. It makes it harder for collectors to... well, collect.. and it forces us to pay the evil scalpers on Ebay money they don't deserve.

DouglasMcc said:
I wasn't calling Shai greedy. That would be a generalization and unfair to him. I said the act of owning multiples of limited figures was greedy. To me, that's hoarding - which isn't to be confused with scalping.. although me people lump the terms together. Can't a person commit a act, without having their entire persona defined by the act (and I am not talking about extreme acts such as murder, rape, etc... and those things our senators do on the internet late at night :lol ). I consider myself a generous person. I donate to charity. I offer my time to help others. I try to be a good person. However, a week ago, I refused to give a co-worker at my school a ride home (well, made up an excuse.. but same difference) because she had insulted one of my friends. I knew she really needed the ride... and that it would inconvience her husband if she didn't get it. However, I didn't care. Does that one act make me a mean, uncaring person? I don't think so. So, in this regard, would hoarding these Jason figures make him a greedy person? No. He's just a good person who committed a greedy act (and that definitely is strictly from my perspective... take it for the opinion it is).

I stick by my original opinion. I don't think it's fair to our fellow collectors to hoard limited figures... especially those as limited as Jason exclusives. It makes it harder for collectors to... well, collect.. and it forces us to pay the evil scalpers on Ebay money they don't deserve.
It's not like he has multiple accounts and is buying them direct from sideshow. He is paying "scalpers" prices like anyone else who wants one is going to do. How is that unfair to anybody else? Plus no one is forcing collectors to pay inflated prices on ebay. That is entirely up to them.

Bannister said:
It's not like he has multiple accounts and is buying them direct from sideshow. He is paying "scalpers" prices like anyone else who wants one is going to do. How is that unfair to anybody else? Plus no one is forcing collectors to pay inflated prices on ebay. That is entirely up to them.

Bannister, I think you are missing the point of my post (and, no I don't mean that in a smarmy, know-it-all way). It doesn't matter what a person pays for the items. That's not my objection. It's simply supply and demand along with some mathematics. If there are only 666 of an item on the market, and someone buys 5 of them, that means 4 other potentional collectors are S-O-L. That's my objection. My comment about ebay is that if multiple people follow this philosophy, then even fewer of the figures make it to collectors. Since only the scalpers turn around and sell them, hoarding basically allows the scalpers to charge whatever they want. Now, the last part is simply conjecture, as I have no statistics to back them up. However, I have a strong suspicion Shai isn't the only one doing this.

And, to be honest, owning multiples of a limited figure doesn't make sense to me. I am not trying to mock this practice... just trying to understand. Jason is an individual character.. its not like Shai is buying 5 clone troopers to make a small army. One of a particular movie version / or possibly 2 if you keep some boxed should be the maximum. But I would love to hear the reasoning.

Some of this perspective comes from collecting 3 3/4 Star Wars figures. I know its going to be a living hell finding a new version of a clone trooper or stormie when its released. Because either a scalper is going to get them for eBay or an army builder is going to hoard them. Its irritating, but I accept that because most of these figures aren't limited. So, while I might have to be patient, I will eventually find one at suggested retail. However, that's not the case with limited collectibles. Once they are gone.. that's it. No rerelease ... no additional stock.

But like I said, this is just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

Thing about Jason Pt 3 is that it was not a very limited figure... I think like 3-4,000 were made. Its just become more desirable because its soooo kickass!!! And again, if you want to own them then buy them. Its not like other people can't outbid the man if they tried!

Rock it Shai :rock :rock :rock :rock

One of the reasons why some people buy multiples could be that since the figs are poseable and come with a variety of accessories they can display them in various poses at the same time. Also one thing about the whole collect to collect thing I could never understand is how the same people who say scalpers suck are willing to give these people their money. It seems to go against the whole principle of collecting to collect, because you are essentially causing the scalping to happen by paying the inflated prices.

galactiboy said:
Nice signature Bannister... but what is this OKTOBERKURGANUARY? It sounds f'n awesome!!!
Oktoberkurganuwhat? I have no idea what you're talking about.:D
Thanks for the new banner Galactiboy. It's magically f'n kurgtastic!!!

Hey, I have never heard of this "Oktoberkurganuary" but it sounds cool, can I join in the fun?!?!?!

And there were 7,500 part 3 Jasons GB. And I fully endorse the buy habbits of Shai,,not because I agree, but because Shai is just to damn cool!!!!

DouglasMcc,first I gotta say,I'm really not offended by your post and I find it rather understandable.Owning 5 figures of the same character is quite ridiculous...and just imagine trying to explain this to a person outside this hobby,who doesnt collect...

However,heres my point...When I first bought this figure like 5 years ago,I bought only one.I had bought him and the first classic Freddy together at a local retailer.First I gotta say,I only buy my figures to open them.I have never been a MISB collector.In fact, I think its completely stupid to buy a figure only to keep in a box.To think they are collectors whose entire collection are still in their boxes is quite ridiculous for me.But still, I understand those kinda collectors and i'm not talking about the flippers.Now back to Jason, I was really enjoying this figure,kept showing it to my brother,my girlfriends ect...been putting the mask on and off,trying to find a way to display it.Then one day.....the horror !!!!! After removing his mask for the 100th time, I noticed their was a big,giant paint rub on his nose.My glorious,beautiful,holy grail wasnt a mint figure anymore !!!! And I didnt want to paint it to cover the scratch..for me ,it wasnt a perfect figure anymore.The next day,I went to the same store and bought another one and gave my old one to my brother,who sometimes collect.I opened this one also.But,this time, I quickly place the new one in a glass cabinet and never played with it again.

So in retrospect,I think,this moment really defined me as to what kinda of collector I would become.Over the years,I learned that the strap of the mask from this figure also get loose if the mask is worn to much.So,I bought another one to keep sealed just in case the one I got had a accident or something.The same goes to classic Freddy also,whose figure after you put his hat on will automaticaly have paint rubs on his head.This one,I bought a double also and never put the hat on.But thats it.

But the Jason part 3, figure is my all time favorite.And I consider it a masterpiece of a figure.So yes,over time I bought 5 of him and sold a couple ones also (always at retail or below).But for me its kinda of an insurance that I will have a mint Jason part 3 to enjoy for all my life.

Hope you understand more my point of view.Being selfish is really not want I aspire to be and dont want to sound like one. And By the way,I sold a complete mint Jason part 3 figure with box a couple weeks ago to Bannister for 30$....Try finding a deal like that anywhere....

Hey, and thanks John for your posts here.:rock :rock :rock :rock

And Douglas,I know its not ''normal'' to have 5 figures of the same character...but like I said in the title of the thread,its an obsession.:lol

:peace

Back