My First Comic day... how'd I do?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TotalDominAsian

Super Freak
Reaction score
I missed Free Comic Day... but I decided to dive into comics and ordered a bunch of them!

All of this should hopefully keep me occupied for quite some time, but let me know how I made out. Any other must reads that I should check out? I thought about picking up the Watchmen, but apparently a Deluxe version is coming out in a bit? Any recommendations as to which order I should read them? I realized I went very heavy on Batman, but it felt like a safe choice and Amazon seemed to show them as the most popular ones.

Judge Dredd: Case Files 01
Y: The Last Man, Book 1, Deluxe Edition
The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Hush

I missed out on free Comic Day too, but looking into starting back up on reading some comics again sometime soon. When I am able to get some free time.

If your into Batman pick up anything and everything Scott Snyder has written on batman. Especially his run on Batman from the new 52 it is excellent. I agree with adding the Killing Joke as well.

That's a good start. All great reads I think, Hush is the weakest story wise. Try Locke and Key, it's really good too.

If you're new to comics in general, Hush will still be a great art experiance.

Hard to know what you're into based on a quick list but The Walking Dead and Punisher Max as well as IDW's new Ghostbusters series would be my reccomendations. Oh and TMNT, the originals not the IDW.

I loved TMNT as a kid! But originals, not IDW? Any chance of an Amazon.com link?

And I think I'll have to add Killing Joke to my collection some day. A friend lent me his copy and woah... dark. I liked it! haha

Love Batman, but I definitely want to find out stuff on other popular superheroes as well. I think I'll pick up Aquaman and The Thing Vol. 1s from the new 52 whenever they're released.

That said... I haven't seen the Walking Dead yet, but I'm thinking I will this summer when I have more time. Will reading the comics ruin the show or vice versa?

Once you get through those essentials, I highly recommend the New 52 Batman book, it's arguably one of the best of the New 52 lot. That being said, Y: The Last Man is great stuff, and I highly recommend 100 Bullets, as well.

Also, if I may, I've used this site a few times before, and, particularly if you're intending to order a few Graphic Novels at a time, it's really saved me a lot of money.
https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/the-new-52/

I guess it depends what you like.
If you like you essential "all hero" superguy type stories then you can't go wrong with your Batman selection.

If you want something a bit unconventional try these:
We3
Invisibles vol 1 - 3
V for Vendetta
The Boys (Garth Ennis)
Crossed (very gross and very graphic - the only comic to give me nightmares - FACT!)

And if you like a bit of Star Wars - look out for any of these titles:
Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Dark Times

I loved TMNT as a kid! But originals, not IDW? Any chance of an Amazon.com link?

And I think I'll have to add Killing Joke to my collection some day. A friend lent me his copy and woah... dark. I liked it! haha

Love Batman, but I definitely want to find out stuff on other popular superheroes as well. I think I'll pick up Aquaman and The Thing Vol. 1s from the new 52 whenever they're released.

That said... I haven't seen the Walking Dead yet, but I'm thinking I will this summer when I have more time. Will reading the comics ruin the show or vice versa?
Read the comics first imo. Comics are a thousand times better than the show, but the show is still good. Alot of changes in the show from the books so I don't think you would ruin it by reading the books first. Also check out Saga

Anything by Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, Brian K Vaughn, or Brian Michael Bendis is safe for the most part.

I guess it depends what you like.
If you like you essential "all hero" superguy type stories then you can't go wrong with your Batman selection.

If you want something a bit unconventional try these:
We3
Invisibles vol 1 - 3
V for Vendetta
The Boys (Garth Ennis)
Crossed (very gross and very graphic - the only comic to give me nightmares - FACT!)

And if you like a bit of Star Wars - look out for any of these titles:
Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Dark Times

How could I forget this one?? A must read. Don't buy it new, because it is incredibly short.

Read through a ton of those batman comics and LOVE them! Working slowly through Sandman and Y: The Last Man right now!

Just curious though... any must read deadpool comics? The premise sounds fascinating with breaking the 3rd wall.

I find deadpool to be too slapstick cheesy. It has its moments where its somewhat interesting but not enough to keep me hanging. I have heard that Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe is a good mini series, you may also want to checkout Deadpool MAX. Im sure since its MAX, the jokes will be more adult oriented and over the top (which I prefer) and not cheesy / corny. If you want to read a real MAX series though, Punisher MAX is one of THE BEST series I have ever read in comics. Its like watching an epic action movie with drugs, s3x, violence, gangs, mafias, and everything else that is awesome! Only read the ones by Garth Ennis though, I think there are 2 series, check out the Ennis one.

I find deadpool to be too slapstick cheesy. It has its moments where its somewhat interesting but not enough to keep me hanging. I have heard that Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe is a good mini series, you may also want to checkout Deadpool MAX. Im sure since its MAX, the jokes will be more adult oriented and over the top (which I prefer) and not cheesy / corny. If you want to read a real MAX series though, Punisher MAX is one of THE BEST series I have ever read in comics. Its like watching an epic action movie with drugs, s3x, violence, gangs, mafias, and everything else that is awesome! Only read the ones by Garth Ennis though, I think there are 2 series, check out the Ennis one.

Back