Detolf and Dioders cable options

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Warrior

Super Freak
Reaction score
Going to be moving my cases around soon and I feel that making the lights more useful and tidy would be a good move when they are empty.

Can I ask how users have gone about making the dioder cables less ugly please ?. I have mine tapped underneath shelves and on the rear metal frame, it looks very amateurish and I hate it.

last year I vaguely remember talking on here about getting aquarium clear oxygen tubing to both seal the case from dust (I need it bad now) and to wrap around the metal frame holding the cables.

Has anyone done this by chance with pictures please ?.

I was and still am struggling to figure out the size of pipe required to fit the cables in while looking snug.
Does anyone have any other options for hiding cables and sealing against dust ?.

Which Dioders do you have? pucks or strips?

I have the pucks. To be honest, I don't like the tubing wrapped around the metal frame. Whilst it is neat, it stands out like a sore thumb due to different colour, unless you paint it silver to match the frame.

What I did was stick the pucks towards the front of each shelf, in the middle, and have the wire running to the side. I pull it tight, then over the metal frame and run the wire down the metal frame as tightly as possible against the metal frame, and hold it to the frame with strips of clear cellotape. I wrap a piece of cellotape around the pole and wire every 10cm or so down the pole. You can't even see it as it's clear, and I run the wire behind the pole so from front on, you can't actually see the wires. I actually run my wires on the front left pole, as the wires end up exiting through the bottom out the gap between the door and frame. If you're running your wires on the back, it'll be even less noticeable. If done right, it should look pretty neat man. Most guys here secure their wires with zip ties around the pole. I just preferred strips of cellotape as it's easier to remove if I have to, and it's clear. You just gotta make sure the wire is pulled tight against the pole.

To conceal the ugly wire and light on each shelf, what I did was cut up a piece of black foam board to the size of each shelf and place it underneath the glass shelf. This hides the light and wiring and looks quite nice, but I'm going to remove these soon and replace with mirror shelves, as it looks nicer.

As for sealing the detolf, I haven't done that yet. I want to use the aquarium tube method, however I have no idea what size I need.

I have mirrors on each of my detolf shelves .. and just route the wires behind those.

Thanks for the few replies, I see it as any input is good input ATM. :)

I use the dioder LED white strips, purely because due to space and money I have to fill each shelves so like light going across the entire length rather than almost centered.

Mirrors, I had thought of them for a while but was unsure on the look. (seeing my reflection would be bad as I have low self image lol).
Is that a mirror at the rear of the case or sides , above/below each shelf ?. Having a reflective base and top to each of the 4 shelves was another idea I has that would bounce the lighting to remove the ugly chin shadows.

Any pictures to try to convince me to try mirrors ?. Or any other types are welcome. Plan to move the cases next week one by one but they will need a hell of a clean first due to all the tape residue FML.

with the strips, I don't think these look as bad as the pucks when stuck at the front, as there is only a small amount of wire visible going to the side. The pucks definitely look uglier in that regard, especially as you have long wire running under the shelf to the side.

With the mirrors, I was talking about getting mirrors cut to the size of each glass shelf in the detolf, and then simply placing it on top of each glass shelf. This would conceal your lights and wires underneath the shelf, and also help reflect light. This is what I'm going to do in my detolf.

Here is a pic of mine.. I bought some "college dorm room" mirrors from target.. Ripped off the wood frame which left the inner mirror... This was perfect for the detolf shelf.

9715568bc4dc1f8b84f242ec45f0fd1b_zps2b735118.jpg

About to get some lighting for my detolfs but wondering if anyone has used the multicolor led dioder strips. Some input would be great thanks. Here are the lights.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

I have that Ikea mutilcolor strip kit for my Detolf. Works great and provides alot of different color options.

The wires are a bit short but I managed to stuff all the wires and box on the 2nd Detolf shelf.

I have that Ikea mutilcolor strip kit for my Detolf. Works great and provides alot of different color options.

The wires are a bit short but I managed to stuff all the wires and box on the 2nd Detolf shelf.

Thanks went ahead and picked up two sets will be installing them this week:yess:

Thanks went ahead and picked up two sets will be installing them this week:yess:

Good to hear!

What I meant by short wires is that the wires are not long enough to hide the connector box and wires outside of the shelf. Heres a pix of it bundled in the 2nd shelf corner. I bought an extra Fortress to help hide it. I will also place a mini dehumidifier in that space too.

IMG_4504_zps748c4676.jpg

Each strip comes with 2 double sided tape pads. I stuck them on the shelfs as pictured. Also you can see I ran the color wheel through the top and electrical cord out through the bottom.

IMG_4506_zps7a7a0061.jpg

IMG_4513_zps26928afa.jpg

Back