PS3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Cruel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Need a little help y'all. I have a few issues with my PS3. Finally sat down today to get them squared away and failed at two of them.

1) The Hobbit bluray will not play on the PS3. The machine does not even acknowledge the disk when it is in.

2) I have a BD remote (NOT a controller) that will not link up with the system.

I have looked around the internet and found that this seems to be a fairly common occurance and I got quite a few recommendations like rebooting the system, removing the batteries, along with a few others and I called customer support and got a tech that was clueless. None of it helped.

Any help would be hot.

From my experience with PS3s where something similar happened, it was my laser lens/reader that went 'bad' for whatever reason. Initially, a few Blu-Rays wouldn't be recognized, so I had to eject them a few times and reinsert until it would read. Eventually though, it stopped reading all Blu-Rays and got to the point where it didn't even acknowledge that the disc was in, like you had mentioned.

The lens may also accumulate dust on it, in which case, a 'cheap' fix worth trying is a Blu-Ray cleaner kit. You can find them anywhere from $5+ and up.

I can't say for certain about the remote. It sounds like a completely separate issue though.

And again, I could be completely wrong, but all-in-all, it does sounds like a similar instance that I had with mine. If you do narrow it down and determine that the lens is the problem, you can find a replacement part on Ebay and install it yourself. I youtube'd how to take one apart and fixed it myself. (Keep in mind that I am not that tech savy. :lol)

Hope this helps.

From my experience with PS3s where something similar happened, it was my laser lens/reader that went 'bad' for whatever reason. Initially, a few Blu-Rays wouldn't be recognized, so I had to eject them a few times and reinsert until it would read. Eventually though, it stopped reading all Blu-Rays and got to the point where it didn't even acknowledge that the disc was in, like you had mentioned.

The lens may also accumulate dust on it, in which case, a 'cheap' fix worth trying is a Blu-Ray cleaner kit. You can find them anywhere from $5+ and up.

I can't say for certain about the remote. It sounds like a completely separate issue though.

And again, I could be completely wrong, but all-in-all, it does sounds like a similar instance that I had with mine. If you do narrow it down and determine that the lens is the problem, you can find a replacement part on Ebay and install it yourself. I youtube'd how to take one apart and fixed it myself. (Keep in mind that I am not that tech savy. :lol)

Hope this helps.

It certainly does for the disk issue! I will look in to it. Thanks!

Yeah, my PS3 also is failing to recognize Blurays. Kind of figure this is what you get with what, 4 or 5 year old machinery anymore.

This probably belongs in the Video Game section, but this has happened in the past with the PS3. If it plays everything else fine I think you might just need to update the firmware on the PS3. Do you know when the last time you updated it? If it's been a while that might be the problem.

If the system is one of the older "Fat" systems it might be dying, but since you say it plays games fine I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know about the remote issue, but it might be the remote that crapped the bed. Do you have any other Bluetooth device synced with it like a headset or keyboard? Maybe try those to see if they're also having connection issues.

Do you ever do the internet updates?

This probably belongs in the Video Game section, but this has happened in the past with the PS3. If it plays everything else fine I think you might just need to update the firmware on the PS3. Do you know when the last time you updated it? If it's been a while that might be the problem.

If the system is one of the older "Fat" systems it might be dying, but since you say it plays games fine I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know about the remote issue, but it might be the remote that crapped the bed. Do you have any other Bluetooth device synced with it like a headset or keyboard? Maybe try those to see if they're also having connection issues.

This is not a gaming issue despite the fact that it is a PS3. It is an issue primarily about a remote control...not a gaming control...a remote control for the TV and DVD/bluray capabilities of the system.

I did the update just prior to attempting to register the remote.

Back