PDA

View Full Version : Customs costs and problems for Foreign Collectors

gambit
09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
After reading Goliath's post in Where is Aragorn post, I decided to write a new post on this subject as it interests lots of collectors

Biggest difficulty in being a foreign collector is the high shipping and customs taxes. Instead of buying 2 in US, we can only buy 1 in Turkey due to shipment and customs.

But actually currently we have a worse problem in Turkey that the governmental customs procedure requires so many documents to fill and it is very big time consuming. They ask you to go to lots of different departments in different locations :emperor

last week one friend of mine can not take his sauron statue from the customs,
it cost him 300 $ for statue from SS
plus 214 $ FEDEX

and customs people requests him to pay like 500 $ more to get it and so he simly refrain getting the statue. Sauron is in warehouse of customs now and will be sold by customs for a more cheaper price to someone else, after some time passed.

My friend paid 514 $ and got nothing in return. Plus he spent like 1 day to talk with the guys and I presume you can picture how angry he got.

My wolverine exclusive is currently on its way to my adress and if I will have a similar problem and will lost my $'s, I do not think I can collect high end items as long as our problems solved. A few of my friends already cancelled some expensive items.

What are your experiences on this?

Darth Caedus
09-27-2006, 05:34 PM
That really sucks, can't think of huge amount of dialogue that will describe it but that. Honestly, I didn't really know that non-us freaks were paying that much just for a single figure. To help lower the cost, would it be a sideshow doing or just a government tariff doing?

pordey2
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
To help lower the cost, would it be a sideshow doing or just a government tariff doing?

In this case, it seems that the Government is trying to kill-kill-kill their poor inhabitants with taxes... I had a hell with the customs this winter - trying to get my PF Vader from them. The taxes they had calculated was just crazy (and probably wrong). I choose to send the figure back, and Sideshow refunded me about 1/3 of what I paid for it
Hurray... :o

But it would help us some, if Sideshow would let us choose between different kinds of shipping...
:cool:

Bodie The Cursed
09-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Bummer. My experience is getting shipment notice then getting it the next day. Do you hate me? :o

Alice Adrenochrome
09-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Let me start of with an example:
Hot Toys 12" Robocop, SSC price $129. I payed $185 to get it. I ordered it from SSC. Would you pay $185 for this Robocop if you would see it in one of your local stores? Not a good example! Wait, here's a better one: an SSC 12" figure (+- $50) costs me about $100, shipping and taxes included...

Heh. Nice thread. I'm always all over this VAT and Shipping issue, much to Chicky's dislike I might add :D.

Why? Cause it's like Gambit says: we have to pay twice the price at times!

I just wrote some reflections on this:
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=236550&postcount=8

After reading Goliath's post, and knowing what Gambit has to deal with, I may consider myself lucky to only pay the shipping and VAT I do! Yet, I also consider these extra costs a true burden. I think the essence is that the smaller the object, the more we have to pay for it, relatively speaking. Mainly due to the high shipping costs. So, if there's a solution to be found, I think the first place is to look for it is there. What's also funny, is that I actually have to pay taxes on the shipping as well. In the European union? I thought they obstructed import tax within the European Union years ago!? Shipping is a service, not a merchandise. I remember someone from the UK (home base of the EU warehouse) posting that they don't pay VAT on shipping.
I think that at the time SSC did the EU inquiry, they said they where going to be looking into these issues. I still hope they do!

Here's another thing that slightly concerns me. Slightly, because we haven't had an official statement from SSC yet: the recent price hike of the 12" SW figures. Should SSC have decided to elevate the price of all 12" figures by $5, this would mean that we'd have to pay about $1 extra VAT, making that a plus of $6 per figure in the end. At least.

And now, let the comments like "if you don't like it, don't buy it!" start. I love their logic at times! Problem is, we DO like the merchandise, but most of the time, we don't have an other choice but to go with this.

Oh, and let me take the opportunity to thank all SS Freaks that expressed their sympathy for the EU collectors in this matter.

Alice Adrenochrome
09-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Bummer. My experience is getting shipment notice then getting it the next day. Do you hate me? :o

No, not at all! In fact, that is the way it should be!

pordey2
09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
an SSC 12" figure (+- $50) costs me about $100, shipping and taxes included...

Wow, how did you manage to only pay 50 for shipping and taxes included? Even though it ships from EU warehouse, I have to pay more than $50 for shipping alone...

Paid more than 150 for my 12" Dead, direct from Sideshow :rolleyes:

Alice Adrenochrome
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow, how did you manage to only pay 50 for shipping and taxes included? Even though it ships from EU warehouse, I have to pay more than $50 for shipping alone...

Paid more than 150 for my 12" Dead, direct from Sideshow :rolleyes:
Like I said: compared to Gambit and Goliath's situation, I may consider myself lucky. Looks like I can add you to that list as well!

For my Subject 5 Security Guard I payed:

$ 49.99 for the 12"
$ 28.48 freight
$ 13.73 VAT

For a total of $ 92.20 direct from Sideshow. That's less than the $ 150 you payed for yours! But I also had the SDCC 12" Freddy on order and that one arrived the very same day, yet hitting me with an other $ 29 for shipping, and 13.83 VAT...
Looks like Norway is just a little bit more expensive! Hate to pay for a beer there...!

I got to admit: I'd never ordered the security guard figure if I'd to pay $150! I'm pretty much at the border regarding the price I'd pay for the SSC 12" figures, vat and shipping included. I hope they don't become more expensive when the armored SW 12" figures will show up.

Darth Caedus
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
sideshow should get a manufacturing plant in the EU for you guys. cheaper shipping and you would be able to get more figures. :cool: not really realistic, but a nice idea.

gambit
09-28-2006, 01:54 AM
In this case, it seems that the Government is trying to kill-kill-kill their poor inhabitants with taxes...

ditto on that

I am sorry to hear about your Vader.

BTW, yesterday my Vader PF 1/4 Exclusive also converted to an order but I had asked Kathy to hold it until Wolverine arrives safely.

It is very strange actually. I never had any problem till today but I know a few friends that had problems for no reason. There are even some collectors in Turkey that even bougth the Alien Queen, paid 990 $ and without any custom problems. What makes me crazy is there is not a definite rule on this in Turkey. It is mostly depending on the daily pyshcology of the custom people. Really. So you never know which item will got stuck and which ones will pass.

Alice your situation is really better than me, because you know that eventually you will get the item.

I don't know what Sideshow can do for us but somehow there shall be a privilige for people who are really collecting and buying for themselves.

pordey2
09-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah, some of my boxes from Sideshow have slipper through the customs... without me paying anything. Should be like that every time :D

gambit
09-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Yeah, some of my boxes from Sideshow have slipper through the customs... without me paying anything. Should be like that every time :D

hahaha, yes all my boxes were the same so far. But after last week, I am waiting for wolverine to proceed further. I agree that should be like that every time :D:D

amonhen
10-01-2006, 08:03 AM
As a collector from Australia, the shipping and customs charge sometimes can be as much as the purchase price of a statue.
Custom charges are mostly imposed on parcels delivered by FedEx or DHL.
Airmail/Global Express are usually fine.
An example: When I ordered Sauron last year through Sideshow Collectibles it cost:
US $ 300 Statue
US $ 145 Shipping by FedEx
AU $ 143 (roughly US $ 110) for customs
This has been my most expensive purchase to date.

Due to these high charges I have just cancelled the exclusive Lurtz, as it might be pretty similar to above or higher, as the statue is more expensive.
So I reckon you US collectors are pretty lucky.

Darth Caedus
10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
again that really sucks ig time. SS should have plants in every major continent in the world to avoid these horrible international shipping/custom charges.

amonhen
10-02-2006, 07:40 AM
These extra costs make it therefor quite an expensive hobby and breaking a statue would be my most dreaded nightmare!:horror :horror

Darth Caedus
10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
These extra costs make it therefor quite an expensive hobby and breaking a statue would be my most dreaded nightmare!:horror :horror

I can imagine. If I had to pay your prices and I broke one, I would drop to my knees, cut our my own heart, and offer it up as payment to Mr. Satan, the Ruler of the Seven Hells for a replacement. Or I would go to a corner and cry....whichever

creecher
10-06-2006, 02:27 AM
I have an idea, but it wont get much support from the State siders, and maybe it's a little naive of me. :monkey1

The way I see it, everyone pays for the shipping of items from China to the States, it's incorporated in the cost of the figures we buy. Then we all have to pay extra, it's called postage, to get the items we want from Sideshow, or other outlets to our homes. Why don't Sideshow set up a warehouse in China. Minimal costs to have it transported from the manufacturer to the warehouse. Then everyone can feel the pinch of having their most wanted items shipped to whichever country they live in. I mean, why should everyone else in the world be subsidising the Statesiders? :monkey5

I don't see it happening folks. The Statesiders are Sideshows biggest market. It is rightfully so that they get the better end of the stick, because its what's floating our most beloved Sideshow. Without the enormous support of the Statesiders we'd all have nothing to want.

Sideshow used to have cheaper shipping, but it was costing both them and the fans. They decided to go with Fed-Ex, to ensure as much as possible that we'd get the items we'd ordered, and have the ability to recompense their costs should things go astray. They are constantly looking at the state of affairs, of shipping, to make it the best for everyone. That is why they have given us the option of using another carrier, should we choose. As time passes maybe even more options will become available.

More options can mean more costs. I'm surprised they are able to keep the base cost of their items so low, as compared to other similar products that other companies supply. I am mainly referring to 1/6th scale products, cause that's what I'm most familiar with. They are still a growing company, at times there will be growing pains. The onset of Star Wars has created an unprecedented demand on their facilities and staff. I hear cries of employ more staff to cope, but at some time the Star Wars boom will burst and there will be many people that will be up for the chop. I would hate it if Sideshow ever became that inhospitible and callous to people.

The Dwimmerlaik
10-06-2006, 06:07 PM
I thought that i have problem here in Mexico, but what i have read you got bigger ones, i only have the problem that the idiots of the postal service doesnt know how to calculate the taxes sometimes and that makes me angry.

I lie in the price of the items because the postal service has lost me many things and thats my response against that.

amonhen
10-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey Congerking,
crawling into the corner and crying might not be such a bad solution.
I would cry so much that it would relieve the eternal drought on this very dry continent.:D

JoeSweden
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I get my boxes via Parcelforce and it's been a long time since I payed any taxes. I think because it goes through another carrier than the Swedish Postoffice it slips through easier. I'm dreading the delivery of the Buffy PF though, as it is myfirst PF from SS. Right now I have had a lot of single orders and the shipping is almost the same as the 1/6 figure. $108 total for 1/6 Angel!!:monkey2

LordAzrael
12-16-2006, 04:38 AM
I don't see it happening folks. The Statesiders are Sideshows biggest market. It is rightfully so that they get the better end of the stick, because its what's floating our most beloved Sideshow. Without the enormous support of the Statesiders we'd all have nothing to want.

Its a self fulfilling thing though creecher. If it costs anyone outside the US twice the price to buy their product then of course most of their sales will be within the US. I for one would like to see direct shipping from China. It might not be much cheaper but at a minimum it would be quicker. I would hope that it might be cheaper though because as you say the price of shipping from China to the USA is built into the price - but that's at bulk rates I suppose.

Alice Adrenochrome
12-17-2006, 08:13 AM
It looks as if SSC has decided to ship Darth Maul and his probe droids separately (what ever the reason may be). Not only will this result in extra shipping costs, but the shipping fee ($29) for the droids will also be higher than the price of the product itself ($24.99)! How cool is that? Add a little extra for the government (yes, somehow we pay taxes on shipping, so that's an extra $5...), and it can't get cooler than that... I feel that SSC should really try to ship things together, especially if they where offered together.

I'm curious how SSC is going to handle the Jabba/Throne/Creature pack 'bundle'... It would indeed be stupid to receive Jabba, and having to wait for the throne and Salacious...

2007 should be the year of the "combined shipment initiative"!

lcummins
12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
As many have pointed out before in numerous other threads, Sideshow is a US company and therefore anything shipped outside the US will cost more. Is it Sideshow's fault? No, I don't think so. Between the shipping companies and the Governments, the cost has risen dramatically in recent times. I have been buying and selling on eBay for several years and it used to be easy to ship to/from overseas (outside the US). Now days, it is a burden in paperwork and the cost just doesn't seem to make sense! And the larger, more expensive items that Sideshow is producing doesn't help. With the Post Office, there are limits to the size package that can be sent with each shipping option; many countries have a size limit of as little as 79 inches for length plus girth, which isn't a very big package. I sold my Predator Maquette to a friend of a board member and because of the size of the box, FedEx was about the only option. It cost over $500 in shipping alone and that didn't include any taxes or FedEx broker costs. I imagine that the total for everything came close to $2000. I feel sorry for them. But as you can see, I am not Sideshow and it still cost them a fortune to get it from the US. The only viable option I can see is to have additional warehouses in other countries, but as can be seen with the EU warehouse right now, that may just cause other problems.

Gruff Old Bear
12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't know whether this will help, but non-US Freaks may want to begin by ascertaining how your respective countries classify and assess import duty on Sideshow products. Sideshow may already be finding the cheapest way for you to receive their figures, or not. I don't know.

But ten years ago Toy Biz successfully sued US Customs in the Court of International Trade. US Customs was classifying X-Men action figures as dolls, which were subject to a 12% duty, rather than toys, which were assessed only 6.8% import duty. (I'm assuming duty was being charged when the figures were brought into the US from China.) Yes, US Customs sees that big a difference between dolls, defined as representing the human likeness, and toys. And the Court said that since X-Men weren't human, they weren't dolls.

So for those outside the US: do you know how your country classifies Sideshow figures? Whether a less onerous customs classification is possible if the authorities re-examine the issue? Whether your local representative can tell you where to write?

:lecture Apologies to anyone for whom this is old news.

olvidadero
12-23-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm from Spain and I've been somewhat lucky so far. The only bad experience I had with customs was with PF Buffy. I got it from Red Planet Toys (cool store, recommended) for $224 but ended up paying $350.

Luckily there are great sellers that agree to lower the value of the item in the customs form. However, that conveys a risks not everyone is willing to make. So far, I've been lucky and I've avoided abusive customs rates, but it's still unfair how we non-US collectors buy one figure for the price others get 2 (I'm not turning over my anger towards you, even though it might seems so:))

pordey2
12-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Woohoo, I'm finally about to get my first big piece since Sauron last fall. I'm getting Weta's Superman Return Danger Averted. Shipping is only $128

:monkey1

gambit
12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I sold my Predator Maquette to a friend of a board member and because of the size of the box, FedEx was about the only option. It cost over $500 in shipping alone and that didn't include any taxes or FedEx broker costs. I imagine that the total for everything came close to $2000. I feel sorry for them. But as you can see, I am not Sideshow and it still cost them a fortune to get it from the US.

It was me BTW Lonnie, hey there :)

I understand that FEDEX costs incredibly high if you are not buying over a dealer and I am extremely happy with the agreement between SS and FEDEX for we are paying half of the normal shipment usually. (I would be paying around 280 $ for predator if I had bought from SS)

regardless, I agree with what ALice said above. It doesn't make sense to pay additional shipment for probe droids. Sideshow is a great company but I believe that they still need more planning on small issues like these to satisfy customers from NON-US countries.

Nightwings
01-04-2007, 01:50 PM
You know what, the more stuff I get from Sideshow directly, the more I like their shipping. It might cost 5 to 10 bucks more than UPS but Fedex only charges me 8 dollars for a broker's fee compared to the 30 to 40 dollars per hundred dollars of item value UPS charges. The only cheaper option would be the post office but it's actually not much cheaper. Also, for what they charge for shipping I'm happy cause I get my stuff from the warehouse in 3 days. UPS and the post office can take 2,3 or more weeks for the same shipping price. As for customs, I can't blame them for that, that our government just looking to leach more money from our pockets. If I buy something from another country I don't think I should be paying our government sales taxes on that item.

dr2red
01-06-2007, 07:53 PM
After receiving my Spooktacular prize via Fed ex Ground, costing half
the normal price for shipping, I have asked that all my packages be shipped
that way in the future. I hope to see a big savings that way and I am not in that big rush to get an item. Plus Salacious Crumb and Bib are being shipped
together to save cash as well.

Many thanks to the great customer service department at SS.

Portugueezer
07-19-2007, 04:47 AM
Don´t get me started on import taxes!!:emperor

Pay around 30% over the total price of the piece. That´s right. I pay taxes on shipping.:confused:

massf
08-29-2007, 01:01 AM
yep, me too...

I picked up my hard Hero Iron man regular and Stealth yesterday to find that I had to pay £21 (around $45) each for customs. Anything over a value of £36 if it's marked as a gift (or £18 if it's not), and they work out tax on the whole value of the item plus shipping!! So you end up paying custom charges on the shipping as well.

Talk about screwing you every which way you can :mad:

Domer
08-31-2007, 02:28 AM
But no diffrence to direct SS ordering. Pay 17% and the Tax from the China - US import. That really sucks. Woulde be more clever to ship from China - UK and save some %, but only for the customer, which is the problem.

I had to pay 19% on the value, not shipping, of the Chrome Iron Man. But Customs secure the income of the seller in Portugal, UK or Germany.

Portugueezer
08-31-2007, 04:50 PM
yep, me too...

I picked up my hard Hero Iron man regular and Stealth yesterday to find that I had to pay £21 (around $45) each for customs. Anything over a value of £36 if it's marked as a gift (or £18 if it's not), and they work out tax on the whole value of the item plus shipping!! So you end up paying custom charges on the shipping as well.

Talk about screwing you every which way you can :mad:

Yup.
We´ve got no luck... It´s not easy being an European collector..

insomniac
08-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Does anyone in Canada have an example of how much it cost to have a statue shipped directly from Sideshow? ie shipping cost, duties, brokerage fees, taxes etc...

Havok
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Just saw this thread, and all I can say is wow. I had no idea the costs were so much for the international collectors out there. I feel for you guys, no one should have to go through that much of a hassle to get their items. :mad:

Kuzeh
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Last time I checked, in Mexico, you have to pay customs a minimum of 150% up-charge from items "made in China", it doesn't matter if it's a U.S. product because Mexico doesn't have a free trade agreement with China.
Pretty lame IMO...

Darth_Maul
06-18-2008, 04:14 AM
So far i haven`t faced any problem with my customs i will know for sure in a few months with my iron man 1:1 life size bust.i`m getting worried about the charge,i`ve mentioned it before in another thread that here in Greece they charge whatever they want. i was afraid when i bought a sim from pjam that they will charge me a tax penalty but i was lucky! i know many retailers here in Greece that they are facing problem with the customs since they started to run their stores,thats why we can`t buy lifesize swords.one friend of mine bought a katana from a store in U.S. and he got a call from the police station,they started asking questions like : what you want to do with the katana and things like that, but when he showed them pics from his room they realized that he is a collector.Maybe it sounds very funny but guys really that`s the truth,the collectible area here in Greece and maybe in other countries too its years far behind and we don`t have any office or a service to have an estimate value about a collectible statue.lets face it we aren`t lucky enough to buy things directly from a retailer at the prices of sideshow and this is bad,there are so many pieces that i want but really i can`t afford the total cost.if the european warehouse of ss can find a way for us i`ll be glad and i think the most of the european collectors like me.i hope this post to be readed by someone in ss.

Batman29
06-27-2008, 11:47 PM
My sympathy is with you guys outside North America. It make shipping within NA look like a walk in the park with their shipping costs.

It does say a lot that you are still collecting with those barriers.

vader70450
06-28-2008, 08:54 AM
I just erecently got a bill from UPS for an item I got from Canada. $50.00 bucks in customs fess....I know its not as much as you guys...but this is a first I ever got one of these and I ship and receive alot of ^^^^....What I dont get is why charge you guys all that money...where is it all going?

jkno
06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Shipping to Romania costs a bit as well. I usually try getting my packages sent Express Mail and that costs. At least the customs officer is my student :)

Obri-An Kenobi
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Shipping to the Netherlands isn't as expensive as most of the examples posted above. Customs and postal services is mostly about 1/3 of the entire worth of the package (shipping included). So it doesn't even reward itself to go bargain-hunting online, because you'll end up paying the same amount in the stores here anyway. Only statues that aren't available here are worth it.
Since the merch stores also have to deal with Customs, the prices here are mostly the same as the American prices are, only with a euro sign behind it.

dirichle
08-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Sending to France using USPS Priority let you bypass safely the custom.
I have bought hundred of statue from US seller without needing to pay anything.

However, if you use USPS express or any other similar express service (DHL, UPS, FedEx) you have a good deal of chance to pay something like 30-40% of taxes and yes the tax includes the shipping.

Flapper97
02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I order some stuff from the US and it costs me quite a bit some times to ship it to Canada. I try to ship most of my stuff using USPS, but some times I can't avoid UPS which adds a lot of duty charges.

Bubbles
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I buy mine off a dealer in the US and then get it sent with value marked below the tax point.......job done.
Except if I want an EX version :banghead

VS1976
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I buy my EX directly at Sideshow. I was only made aware recently the Fedex does not always use the harmonized code that Sideshow provides. On Sideshow the harmonized classification started with a "9" while Fedex started with a "3" WTF was my first response. I had my work shippers checked the 2 codes. Sideshow was a tariff free while Fedex was not. I end up paying an additional 6.5% tax, so I end up paying 18.5% on taxes plus I had to pay thY stupid $10 vat handling fee! After finding this out, I looked at all my past invoices. Somehow Fedex made almost 75% error & costing me hundreds of dollars! Because of time frame, I was not able to get back my money. I don't know what the harmonized codes in Europe are, but u may want to check it! Don't let Fedex tale advantage of u because of their mistakes. Check both Sideshows & Fedex invoice & make sure it is correct!

Doctor Who
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Something a bit off-topic, but still fits here.

Just got my military uniform and my new shoes.

The uniform was delivered by the mailman.

I paid 50 euros because it was in a shipment that had drugs along them.
AND I paid another 25 because they had to scan it, and so on.

My shoes, which are regular converse shoes.

I paid ANOTHER 25 euro for frigging customs.

I had to wait 16 days for both packages to go through customs. 16 days.

This crap pisses me off.

amarcord
07-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Something a bit off-topic, but still fits here.

Just got my military uniform and my new shoes.

The uniform was delivered by the mailman.

I paid 50 euros because it was in a shipment that had drugs along them.
AND I paid another 25 because they had to scan it, and so on.

My shoes, which are regular converse shoes.

I paid ANOTHER 25 euro for frigging customs.

I had to wait 16 days for both packages to go through customs. 16 days.

This crap pisses me off.

I completely understand what you are saying.

They even add the shipping costs to have a higher total to calculate the taxes ...

killrhertz
07-14-2010, 06:28 AM
I have a good one as well. Im in Australia and the shipping isnt to bad for most items but.... In May i recieved shipping notice for my predalien bust. I was all excited to recieve it and the day it was supposed to be delivered it never showed. Several days later i recieved a phone call from fedex telling me that i needed to pay a customs fee which was fine as the value was over $1k AUD. They let me know that it was $350 AUD which was for a number of things and one particular one was $139 for FedEx's handling and inspection charges. I explained to the lady on the phone that it would be fine to email me an invoice to pay the duty and customs fee and they would be paid within 2 days as i had to move funds around to cover it.

The next day i recieved another call from FedEx which i missed as i was at work and the different time zones in Australia as they wanted a call before end of trading hours demanding the payment by this time as well. So pretty much it was to late by the time i got the voice mail. So this got me annoyed and i frantically rang FedEx trying to get them and no answer as they were closed. I called the next morning asking what was going on and to tell them that it had been paid. So in the end i recieved the bust and all packed up and not even opened for inspection which i was glad but curious as to being charged for inspection. I thought it was all over......

So then on the 2nd of July i recieved a letter from FedEx's Lawyers demanding that i pay the $139 for the "inspection" and handling of my bust or legal action would be taken within 72 hrs. So i called the lawyers and had to produce proof that i paid this to FedEx 2 months ago which i did and all i recieved was we will have to investigate this further and try and resolve the situation in the accounts dept.

So to quote nine " This crap pisses me off!! "

Not only were they rude but to threaten to take legal action against me for a PAID invoice made me instantly see red!

Doctor Who
07-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Got another bill for my uniform today.

200 euro for administration etc.

I'm not feeling well.

killrhertz
07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Got another bill for my uniform today.

200 euro for administration etc.

I'm not feeling well.

Man that sucks worse than a $2 pro. I would be making some serious calls.

Doctor Who
07-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Man that sucks worse than a $2 pro. I would be making some serious calls.

Belgium always charges heaps for nothing.

A-Holes.

shakesnake
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Norway have the same problem, or I am just unlucky. Recently bought a True Type slim, loose from US and paid 30-40$ for the package shipped. After a few days after he shipped it I got a message that it has reached Norway and will be sent to the custom department.
After three months I got another message that they had lost my package in their warehouse, but found it again. After another two weeks it arives at my post office. It was sent as a gift so it shouldn't cost that much after customs, but I had to pay 450 NOK (70$) to get it out.
I got another package incoming and its a HT cannibal Jack. This weights alot more and got more value. So I calculated it and maybe need to pay around 2000 NOK (around 320$) which is BS :mad:
Luckily it was sent 2 months ago so maybe there will be 2-3 more months before it gets thru customs so I can raise money.

Balsquat
07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Guys...I get realized as Canadian. But if I got stuck paying hundreds of dollars for 1/6 figures (and I mean on top of the $100s they already cost). I would probably try hard to find another hobby. How do you guys justify the costs?

jkno
07-14-2010, 11:42 PM
I completely understand what you are saying.

They even add the shipping costs to have a higher total to calculate the taxes ...

That is what pisses me off too. For example if having an item that costs $100 and shipping is $50, they add taxes for $150. :slap:gah:

Gates70
08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I live in Canada and order from the US a fair bit. All I can say is that it's pretty inconsistant and hit and miss. It also depends on the shipper and the info they provide. Here's 2 examples;

Got a Sideshow Vader 1:1 bust last month from a US online store which I paid $1150 for, and didn't have one penny more to pay when it got to my door.

Then a week later I received my HCG Alien bust in which the seller wrote the value lower at $450 from it's original $999 and I had $160 to pay when it got to my door.

shakesnake
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I also found out that it's clever to write the value lower that it should be, got HT Davy Jones today and the sender put the value at $5 instead of the original $125. I didn't had to pay anything for customs.

Gates70
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I also found out that it's clever to write the value lower that it should be, got HT Davy Jones today and the sender put the value at $5 instead of the original $125. I didn't had to pay anything for customs.

They do that for me too but it's a dangerous game since the insurance on the package goes with the value they put down. So if it's broken when you receive it, they only pay for the indicated value. In your case $5.

jkno
12-01-2010, 01:12 AM
An interesting read:

Which Shipping Company is Kindest to Your Packages? (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/which-shipping-company-is-kindest-to-your-packages)

How to Guarantee Your Package's Safe Transit (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/package-tips-for-shipping-companies?src=rss)

jkno
12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Something interesting regarding packages sent from EU to USA (and maybe from other countries to US - just ask for info at your postal office). I sent a Christmas present to a friend of mine in US and the package was sent November 17th, and I was worried why the delay since another package I sent to Canada arrived fine more than a week ago. And the package for my US friend is still in the Romanian Postal Customs because of this:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1849/coletjaxxpostaromana2b.jpg

Translation:

As a result of your request sent by the Romanian Post website, we inform you that during the period 11/18/2010 to 12/08/2010 considering tighter security measures on the relationship with the United States, due to terrorist attack alert, it is no longer accepting any presentation sending mail (mail of letters, parcels or EMS) to the USA with a weight equal to or greater than 0.453 grams. For items which have already accepted the presentation on 17.11.2010 and 18.11.2010 to receipt of the notice of restriction, they will be kept in balance to alert including termination - 08/12/2010 or until receipt of new information.
Thank you for understanding

I talked to the ladies at my local postal office and I've been told that US government extended the restriction period to January. And that this measure applies to most of the EU countries excepting packages sent with SkyPak or other carriers - but you need to ask first. So the Christmas package will arrive to my friend for Easter :(

jkno
12-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Japan Post: Regarding Temporary Suspension of acceptance of USA-addressed postal items carried by aircraft (http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2010/1112_en.html)

Japan Post Places Restrictions on Shipments to the United States (http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/11/16/japan-post-places-restrictions-on-shipments-to-the-united-states/)

November 12, 2010

Japan Post Service Company (Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo-to, Representative Director: Shinichi Nabekura) has announced that, due to the elimination of air transportation of postal items over 453 grams (16 ounces) in weight following the airport security enforcement recently put in place in the USA to counter possible terrorist threats, acceptance of these postal items will be suspended for the time being from November 17, 2010.
We will make a relevant announcement if or when the situation changes.

Details from ebay.com.au (http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/201011241103362.html)

***Australia Post surcharge for packages to the United States***

24 November 2010 | 11:04AM EST

Due to additional security measures, Australia Post have advised that articles over 453g and all Express Courier International and Express Post International services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours.

International post regulations for each country can be found on Australia Post’s website here and any enquiries regarding the surcharge should be directed to Australia Post.

eBay is currently waiting for further news regarding the surcharge, however sellers are recommended to avoid using calculated shipping on items that ship to the US as the shipping calculator is not currently configured to include the surcharge.

Regards,
The eBay Team

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1289237893803.shtm

risingstar
12-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Holy cow... These whacko fundamentalists are truly getting into everything.
They'll only be satisfied until we're all living in fear or preaching to the same deity.

DeadLeaves
12-16-2010, 06:37 AM
453 grams - where did they get that measurement from?

Seems like the bad guys won if the US gov knee-jerks & changes the rules every time a threat gets foiled... That's the real goal of these attacks, not the threat, but the waste of resources & the disruption they cause.