Sideshow Star Wars Do-Overs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should SS go back and redo some oldies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OSCORP

Super Freak
Reaction score
I think a lot of us would be for this. I want to gauge how many would be. SS has come a long ways since their beefed up Hasbro like dolls of 2006.

So why not hit the oldies but goodies again? I bet they make just as good of sales if not better than the past, with current manufacturing.

Anyone want a new.......
Ben Kenobi? (while among the best could be even better today)
Jedi Luke?
Bespin Han (such a shame) HT is rumored to be doing ANH

ANH Luke?

(I still don't think SS can tackle females but Leia?)

HT is already doing Anakin so that's out lol.

Mace Windu? Kenobi Ep3? Darth Maul? Qui-Gon? These just don't hold up. And i wouldn't think less of them to go back and double dip and maybe offer a different ex or something and redo some of these.

What say you?

(BTW SS, make a God Damn Biker Scout already!)

Re: Sideshow Star Wars Do-Overs

Why, I thought you didn't like SS dolls?

Since there are still several characters and versions not done yet, I say no.

Re: Sideshow Star Wars Do-Overs

Why, I thought you didn't like SS dolls?

Since there are still several characters and versions not done yet, I say no.

I don't like the ones i mentioned.(and i'm not alone) But if they put out new ones with their current efforts i wouldn't say no.

I'd only want SW humans from HT.

That said I'd only want a Vader & Stormies from them too. :lol

I'll give SSC a chance with the Biker Scout & Kashyyyk clone though.. & maybe Jango. :lol

The SSC SW humans do look quaint in comparison to what HT can do. I do think it is a good idea for HT to revisit the main crew from A New Hope anyway (Luke, Han, Obi Wan, Leia, Chewy, maybe Droids?). SSC does armored characters and monsters well enough.

But no ****ing PERS, do you ****ing hear me Hot Toys you bunch of *** eating ** ***** ** and ****** you're lucky I don't just *** ***** ** ****!

I think some of the costumes and accessories are really good. I'd be down for them selling updated head sculpts.

I'd only want SW humans from HT.
Yep, pretty sceptical on SSC humans. They're just not at the level of HT or Enterbay and they've been in the business long enough that it should be them schooling the upstarts.

That said I'd only want a Vader & Stormies from them too. :lol
Yeah, agree on that, too, just because of some of the shortcuts to the Stormy armour. And if that Vader prototype that was shown is indicative of what will actually end-up being produced... :monkey4 ...well, I'll be happy to wait for HT's ANH Vader in 2020, then.

I'll give SSC a chance with the Biker Scout & Kashyyyk clone though.. & maybe Jango. :lol
Y'know, I'm seriously doubting they'll re-tool Boba Fett for whenever Jango comes out and I can't stand the sight of ol' Boba. Even in other peoples' collection photos he just stands out like a sore thumb for me. Beyond that, Jango's colour scheme is pretty lame in comparison to ESB Boba, so no interest from me on that one. Could see an SSC Biker Scout or Stormtrooper supposing they update the armour.

Updated head sculpts would be an easy fix for most of their older figures. In many cases, its the only weak point of the whole figure, IMO.

Looking at the new Obi-Wan and Wolffe, I'd say SS is giving HT a run for their money as far as humans go. Obviously, it's a bit early for that one, but it looks promising. I'd much rather buy a SS figure than an HT figure, but SS keeps making figures I'm not interested in. I don't think that HT is as great as everyone thinks they are. I mean, realistically, the sculpts aren't as spot-on as everyone jabbers on about, people love to talk about how off the mark Indy was, but the new Thor is just as bad. And we all know that Luke is more idealized rather than actually looking like Hamill. Plus, their skintone is more Hispanic than Caucasian, and it just bugs me.

I think the looming problem for Star Wars figures in general, is that you have to have do-overs. Star Wars is what it is because of its large cast of characters, but once you get to a certain point, it's not worth it. I'd like to have a Tarkin, but at $130-$150? Nope. I'm sure SS would make it worth the price, with young and old headsculpts, and 10 pairs of hands, but I'm just not interested in paying premium prices for tertiary characters. But I would be willing to pay $150 for a Jedi Luke v2, that's set up just like Padawan Obi-Wan, calm head, lightsaber duel head, robe, poseable boots, bunch of hands, etc. Sign me up for that!

However, the only reduxes I'm interested in are Jedi Luke and Bespin Han. But, overall I think re-doing characters is a smart play for Sideshow.

SSC has always had nice sculpts. And HT is quite uneven in that department, particularly when you're talking PERS. It's the other parts of the figures that have not been up to snuff--paint apps being one of the biggest, but quality of materials used and body type have also lagged notably to this day (SSC does accessories and boots without laces very well in general). I collect SSC Joes, so I've seen them improve over the years (Zartan has pretty good paint apps for example), but the best of what they put out there is still very far away from HT in terms of quality. With the armored characters it isn't so bad, though, and to some extent that applies to masked characters and monsters, though the other issues with those figures beyond paint apps remain.

With HT, one thing you know you're gonna get is a product that feels high end. With SSC, looking at something like their recent Snake Eyes, customers will more often question if what they are getting is really worth the price they are paying.

Yep, pretty sceptical on SSC humans. They're just not at the level of HT or Enterbay and they've been in the business long enough that it should be them schooling the upstarts.
What's with that knuckle head imbecile over at RS!?

I've laid my debating points out on several occasions with that mental midget.. & now I see that I'm pissing in the wind.

The guy's as thick as two bricks. :monkey4

For my part, i'd rather have HT take a shot at SSC "oldies" assuming they are in a position that would allow them to release 3-4 figs a year.
i don't believe SSC quality is better enough to warrant redos of their older realisations.

I voted option A. Ideally I'd love for Hot Toys to get their hands on some of these... but since they're only doing 1 a year with Anakin and Han Solo already accounted for... I don't want to wait 3 more years to see some more beloved Star Wars.

...I don't think that HT is as great as everyone thinks they are...
HT catches all kinds of hell but the fact is that with all their likeness/PERS and QC problems they're still light years ahead of SSC. There's just no comparison. Yeah, I have some issues with HT's Luke in that I preferred the proto both sculpt and outfit wise, but for $300.00 there's just no sense complaining about it. It's still 10x better than any human sculpt Sideshow's done in 1:6 (at least in regards to SW - have to agree some of the Joes look a lot better, though still not 'realistic' to my eye).

What's with that knuckle head imbecile over at RS!?

I've laid my debating points out on several occasions with that mental midget.. & now I see that I'm pissing in the wind.

The guy's as thick as two bricks. :monkey4
Yeah, lol, I agree. I think he collects for very different reasons and takes any critique on Sideshow as an attack on his collection and nostalgia it evokes for him. I'd pay him no mind as he doesn't seem mature enough to debate anything on its merits.

I said let Hot Toys get a chance.
I just don't know about paying a lot for them though.
When they were released by SSC they were originally cheap.
They weren't in the $150- $250 range.
I don't see the need for DX versions of older figures either.
If they do,they have to go the route of the DX Luke,2 figures in one.

When they were released by SSC they were originally cheap.
Emphasis on the "originally." Now, a SSC figure is probably gonna run you $150 on the low end. So even if SSC does them over, are folks gonna be willing to pay the price considering they have already gotten a taste of what HT can do with a human Star Wars character?

I would be on the "let HT do it" side of the fence, IF those bastards would get off their asses and release more than 1 ****ing figure per year (or so they say).

Let's face it, it's time to start upgrading many of the core characters ourselves. For example, ANH Leia. I know Snyderman is sculpting a new head and there's demand for a new gown. Add a new body and the existing belt, boots and gun from the SS figure and we might have the classic Leia we're looking for.

Unless we all want to wait another 10 years this is the ONLY option. I, for one, am all for getting the highest quality representation of the core characters, so let's start working on this as a community, just like Marf has done with Leia. Anyone with me?

Yeah, you've got about 15 guys doing high end flavor of the week Walking Dead customs, but no one to just do basic Star Wars characters that SSC didn't do sufficiently to begin with (iconic characters with real staying power). I would be up for the core characters done up at the quality of, say, an Iminime team release.

Back