So I just lost my job.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Who

Super Freak
Reaction score
Need to vent a bit so here we go.

For the 2nd time in a short time I lost my job. The reason? I can't work full-time because of rheumatism. I get quite a heavy treatment to slow the process of decay and chalk on the bones and they make me really damn sick for a few days to the point I throw up every few minutes and am stuck in bed. I get Azathioprine and Sulfasalazine once a week in the hospital and there's weeks I can't make it to work at all. It's either take the meds and be sick most of the time or take nothing and be barely able to walk. I'm barely able to get around each month and I'm not gonna ask the lady of the house to pay my bills for me, I feel bad enough about it as is, don't wanna live of someone else's money. I've also mostly quit collecting, sold a lot of it off to friends and only still buying what I really want which is one item per half year or so and after a few months the savings I made pretty much disappeared into medical bills and other stuff.

Qualifications I never got either, never even managed to finish high-school properly because of it. Went home schooled but they never bothered to have me take my exams and give me my degree.

I'm pretty much accepting I've failed at life and wish I could start fresh now. I'm almost 20 now, and with how stuff works here it seems like I'll be stuck for a while. Another year or two until I can try again at school but 9 out of 10 times I won't get hired anyway once they hear about the rheumatism. "herp derp if ur gonna b sick u dun goofd"

I really don't know what to do and how to get ahead now.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Gonna shut up now. :lol

Man, you are still plenty young. have you tried reaching out to others with the same ailment? I'm sure there are ways to get a career going.

Man, you are still plenty young. have you tried reaching out to others with the same ailment? I'm sure there are ways to get a career going.

I've been to such a talk group with people who have it and the second youngest was 53. I feel really old because it's "the old man's disease" and I want to travel the world but it's quite annoying to know I won't be physically able to in 10 years time. :lol

Sorry to hear this. Really don't know what to say - you are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. It will be hard to get a job when it's a given that you will be out sick much of the time. Are you eligible for any type of disability in Belgium?

Sorry to hear this. Really don't know what to say - you are in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. It will be hard to get a job when it's a given that you will be out sick much of the time. Are you eligible for any type of disability in Belgium?

I've got a disabled card and get only about €400 per month. I can apply for a different one that should bring in some more but I have to wait until I'm 24 for that. It's indeed damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. I'm sure in the end it'll be fine, like everyone always says, so I'm trying my best not to worry and panic about it but damn it's tough to get around these days.

Man that sucks, life has dealt you a tough hand. Gotta accept your hand and figure out how you can play it...given the situation and the condition what is your direction given the limitation. I really like your positive mindset though, it'll serve you well. You're very young, your life is just starting.

Perhaps you can work on getting your degree/diploma online? Then you can work from home and are often times able to make your own schedule, which may be more accommodating for someone in your situation.

Also glad to see you remaining positive. :) That can make such a HUGE difference.

Have you looked into online work? My friend who is disabled works from her home online.

And I agree with Jen. Maybe you can get more online training or get a degree.

Do you have RA or some other type of rheumatic disease?

Sorry for your situation. :1-1:

Man that sucks, life has dealt you a tough hand. Gotta accept your hand and figure out how you can play it...given the situation and the condition what is your direction given the limitation. I really like your positive mindset though, it'll serve you well. You're very young, your life is just starting.

Perhaps you can work on getting your degree/diploma online? Then you can work from home and are often times able to make your own schedule, which may be more accommodating for someone in your situation.

Also glad to see you remaining positive. :) That can make such a HUGE difference.

Thanks, guys. It's hard to stay positive in life but remember that there's a way out of every situation, even though it sometimes looks hard to do. You just can't give up. I think of it this way, being a depressed sack of flesh and bones that feels sorry for him/herself won't change the situation either, and life's too short to be sad about everything all the time.

Edit: And I shouldn't be complaining, really. There's loads of people in the same boat, and even more doing worse. I've got food (it's not much but food's food), I've got a roof, I've got tele, internet and electricity and water and whatnot.

It's just frustrating that they would fire me because of an illness. I always did my work on time, and I delivered quality. Sure I can see why someone would fire me for not attending to work, but I'm still legally alright. I have doctor's notes and my disabled card but obviously they don't want to look at the quality, just the quantity.

Have you looked into online work? My friend who is disabled works from her home online.

I have looked into getting my diploma online but sadly that's not available here, the only way is to do an exam in front of a jury in Brussels but you need to get invited aswell which isn't gonna happen any time soon, but I apply every september (only month of the year you can, too). It's my 3rd time applying this year.

I have looked into an online job but most I applied for required a diploma or some sort of professional experience from 1-5yrs which I do not have.

It makes me wonder though. They require experienced people.. but if they won't hire people without it, how can those people even get experience? :lol

RA. I've got it really bad in the knees and lower back and get surgery every 5 years where they literally just shave away the pannus growths. I used to have straight legs but within the last 2-3 years they've kinda deformed into knock-knees.

The only thing I still do physically is wrestle once a month and then I'm stuck to bed for a week because my joints are locked up. I'd hate to give that up entirely but looks like it's coming to a point where I don't have much of a choice, sadly. :(

Last edited:

What kinds of jobs can someone get online? It is just something that I have always wondered.

Sorry to hear X.
I agree with fellow members here... see what kind of work you can do from home. You're 20 years young, for crying out loud. Your adult-life has only begun.

Best of luck.

What kinds of jobs can someone get online? It is just something that I have always wondered.

There are all kinds. Depends on what you're qualified for. I have a friend who does transcribing for doctors. Two that do work for online schools and one that takes reservations for the national parks here in the US. There are all kinds of marketing and customer service jobs. Plus some companies will allow people to work out of their home as well. I think Ski does that if I'm not mistaken.

There are all kinds. Depends on what you're qualified for. I have a friend who does transcribing for doctors. Two that do work for online schools and one that takes reservations for the national parks here in the US. There are all kinds of marketing and customer service jobs. Plus some companies will allow people to work out of their home as well. I think Ski does that if I'm not mistaken.

That is very interesting. I just have never really looked into it. Sounds nice.

I'll most certainly be looking into some work from home. I'm not even caring much which job I get as long as it's one where I get the money. Hell, I've worked at a graveyard cleaning fake flowers so it can't get much worse than that. :lol As long as I won't be working at a call-center I'll be good.

start a donation thread. seems to be popular around here.

Get an online degree and try to do medical billing from home. You can make good money and never leave your house. Job market is brutal in the us. I quit my job to pass all the CPA exams, I now have a CPA license and MBA and am having trouble even with those credentials. Its no longer about what you know but who you know.

One of the major problems is online application system filters. When u apply to a job only the system sees our application and resume and if there are any gaps in employment regardless of reason you are rejected so that no human being ever sees your resume. Its called discrimination against the unemployed and its a major problem in the US job market!

If nothing is done about this unemployment will never get better no matter how much the economy grows!

Last edited:
Back