Mounting a Detolf Horizontally?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthflan

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought of Mounting a Detolf Horizontally on the wall about 5 or 6 feet off the floor? I wonder if this is even possible. Im thinking of using some mounting rods thru or attached to the wall and resting the Detolf on top of the rods.

Flan

I have thought about lying one on its side horizontally... I have area above my shelves below the ceiling..

There's no way; in addition to the weight there isn't anyway to hook/nail/screw it up

It's absolutely possible, but you'll need to properly support it. If you don't plan to put anything heavy in it, you don't need any extra support to prevent the glass from bending/breaking, but you have to make sure the whole thing is attached securely to the wall - either to wooden studs or a concrete wall if that's what you have. There are many ways that this can be accomplished (*)- you might be able to find examples using Google Image search of others that have already done it.

You can double-check the glass strength on many online calculators to be sure and you can always add another bracket in the middle to be extra safe and if you want to put a little more weight inside it. You can also frame out the back edge with a piece of wood or steel which will be much less flex-prone than the plastic that's there now.

Glass is heavy, yes. But it's also strong, especially when tempered. Just don't strike it sharply. ;)

(*) I've already thought of a few just while writing this post.

Back