Comics similar to The Walking Dead?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optimus

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't necessarily mean comics with zombies in them but the great storytelling and characters / character-developments. And don't forget the suspense... Oh the suspense :yess:

I've found some reviews on youtube saying that "DMZ"(vertigo) and "Y the Last Man" (vertigo) would do the job...
Any thoughts on them or any other comics worth checking out?
Thinking I might try "DMZ" next... :monkey1

Thanks! :peace

Last edited:
Re: Comics similar to The Walking Dead

Y the Last Man is great.

So is Chew, even if it does have a rather unusual plot that may not appeal to you.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series by Marvel is a very good companion piece to the novel versions.

Also check out Saga and The Private Eye by Brian Vaughan. Panel syndicate.com will let you pay what you want for issues of The Private Eye..it is brand new so there is only the 1st issue out now.

I don't necessarily mean comics with zombies in them but the great storytelling and characters / character-developments. And don't forget the suspense... Oh the suspense :yess:

I've found some reviews on youtube saying that "DMZ"(vertigo) and "Y the Last Man" (vertigo) would to the job...
Any thoughts on them or any other comics worth checking out?
Thinking I might try "DMZ" next... :monkey1

Thanks! :peace

Both of those are great.

You can check out Crossed but you might want to read reviews first to see if it would be up your alley.

Y the Last Man is great.

So is Chew, even if it does have a rather unusual plot that may not appeal to you.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series by Marvel is a very good companion piece to the novel versions.

Also check out Saga and The Private Eye by Brian Vaughan. Panel syndicate.com will let you pay what you want for issues of The Private Eye..it is brand new so there is only the 1st issue out now.

I'm familiar with "Chew" as I have the two first Omnivore editions.
Although I've yet to read the second one I really liked the first and I'm sure I will get vol. 3 as well :)

Heard a lot of good things about "Saga"! Must check if out, as well as the Stephen King-books... Never knew they even existed.

Both of those are great.

You can check out Crossed but you might want to read reviews first to see if it would be up your alley.

Will do! :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming! :clap :hi5: :clap

Saga is excellent.

Chew and Revival are also ones you may be interested in..

Invincible! Kirkmans best book imo . you won't regret getting into it. Give it at least 5-6 issues and you will be hooked. Hands down the best superhero book.

Also I would suggest Ex Machina, Preacher, The Sword, and Girls. Also this book is really short, but I absolutely loved it. It is written by the same guy who is doing Saga as well as Y The Last Man and Ex Machina. It is called Pride of Baghdad. Such a beautiful book. Check it out!

Last edited:
Fables, Animal Man, Devlin Waugh, Scud the Disposable Assassin, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, The Goon, all these are good.

Wow, great response! Thanks everyone :wave

So far, I have added "Saga", "Invincible" and "Revival" to my wish list...
Haven't been able to check out all of your guys suggestions just yet, but I sure will, and I'm sure I will add even more books to my wish list :yess: :)

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming :yess:

Invincible! Kirkmans best book imo . you won't regret getting into it. Give it at least 5-6 issues and you will be hooked. Hands down the best superhero book.

Also I would suggest Ex Machina, Preacher, The Sword, and Girls. Also this book is really short, but I absolutely loved it. It is written by the same guy who is doing Saga as well as Y The Last Man and Ex Machina. It is called Pride of Baghdad. Such a beautiful book. Check it out!

I agree,invincible is as good if not better than twd.such a great comic month after month.

Check out Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire!!! It just ended at issue 40, one of the best series I have ever read. Major character attachment, takes place in a post apocolyptic world with a twist to it.

I also highly recommend Saga along with everyone else. I think the 2nd trade is getting ready to come out and the first one is easily found and is also suprisingly cheap at 9.99 retail.

Y the Last Man is great.

Y THE LAST MAN is the first and easiest suggestion here. In fact, everything about it blows The Walking Dead out of the water. Even better, it was written with a clear and definitive arc in mind and was just as fresh at its final issue (60) as it was in its first.

Check out Sweet Tooth by Jeff Lemire!!! It just ended at issue 40, one of the best series I have ever read. Major character attachment, takes place in a post apocolyptic world with a twist to it.
And this would be my 2nd suggestion! :hi5: Also better than TWD, imho. Vaughn and Lemire run circles around Kirkman in the writing department. And it's not even close.

Y THE LAST MAN is the first and easiest suggestion here. In fact, everything about it blows The Walking Dead out of the water. Even better, it was written with a clear and definitive arc in mind and was just as fresh at its final issue (60) as it was in its first.

And this would be my 2nd suggestion! :hi5: Also better than TWD, imho. Vaughn and Lemire run circles around Kirkman in the writing department. And it's not even close.

I agree that Vaughn and Lemire are great and I mean GREAT writers, but to say they run circles around Kirkman is crazy. He is an outstanding writer not only on TWD, but everything he writes. Have you tried out Invincible? Though I do like Vaughn better than Kirkman. Vaughn is simply one of the greatest writers in comics right now. Everything he touches is gold. The first time I read Pride of Baghdad I was ****ing blown away. Who would have thought I would get attached to some animals in a very short book :lol

Im not trying to be a hater but I thought Invincible was awful. I read up to issue 15ish and gave up on it. Another to mention of Kirkman's is Thief of Thieves which is not for everyone and is just OK. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE The Walking Dead, one of my favorite titles! But I dont think Kirkman is "that" great of a writer. I would put Lemire, Snyder, Vaughan, Bendis, and Johns in front of Kirkman.

Back